The Rambling Ronin

Kishi

Huzzah, pestering encouragement nerds!  Looking forward to reading your blog, Kishi (and about the Buddhist monk-ghosts that set nuns on fire).

And way to go on the kettle bell swings.  Holy hell your shoulders must be epic.  And like the other Phoenix said, good luck with the coaching.  I like working out with my friend because he definitely does keep me honest and sometimes pushes me when I think I'd otherwise fail.  On top of all the wonderful knowledge I can abuse from his head.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Hey Kishi! You got a good tan?

Swings and stances going up! Yay! 

Nice going on the blog. Already read both posts, they were quite good (I´ll have to get back my google account so I can comment there too) so we will keep harassing reassuring you into writing some more!  :ph34r: Hai!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Huzzah, pestering encouragement nerds!  Looking forward to reading your blog, Kishi (and about the Buddhist monk-ghosts that set nuns on fire).

And way to go on the kettle bell swings.  Holy hell your shoulders must be epic.  And like the other Phoenix said, good luck with the coaching.  I like working out with my friend because he definitely does keep me honest and sometimes pushes me when I think I'd otherwise fail.  On top of all the wonderful knowledge I can abuse from his head.

Well, it's not necessarily lack of motivation or knowledge. It's more that I'm fretting too much on all the small things that I need to let go of if they're going to thrive. So, I need to step back and be calm. Having a coach in place to stand between me and my final results is a necessary filter; more necessary than I'd originally realized.

Hey Kishi! You got a good tan?

Swings and stances going up! Yay! 

Nice going on the blog. Already read both posts, they were quite good (I´ll have to get back my google account so I can comment there too) so we will keep harassing reassuring you into writing some more!  :ph34r: Hai!

You know, actually, yeah, I did! :D It turns out I can stay out in the sun more than I thought I could. Although, it's been gray and cloudy around where I live lately, so so much for the adaptation. ^_^;

Yes sir, they be goin' right on up. I like.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed! I'll keep on with it. Think I might have a post up my sleeve.

I really enjoyed both your blog and your writing you shared a page back.

You are a talented writer! I find your conversational style very easy to read and very 'warm and friendly'.... if that makes any sense at all....

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my work. I know exactly what you mean, and I appreciate your time. Thanks!

KEEEESSSSHHHEEEEEEEEEE where are you????

How is the coaching going?

I've been not here for a while! Had a lot of stuff to do, family reunion and the like. Didn't get the time to be here for y'all like I wanted to be.

The coaching, though, went well, and it's getting ready to get even better.

Good to know you are doing well Oh Leader!

I imagined you were busy. Hope you have more free time soon. But if you don´t, do not worry. You pretty much supported us all for most of the challenge!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Schedule: 34/36

Odd strength: 27/31

Writing: 26.5/36

Hi guys! Didja miss me? Be honest.

So you're probably wondering where the hell I've been and why I haven't been on lately. And I have an excuse I am totally prepared to believe in! You remember that family reunion I mentioned, a little while ago. Well, it was much more... intensive than most of our family reunions have been. I ended up spending a lot less time on my own to train, and a lot more time with my family than I had originally thought. As in, wake up, relatives! Relatives! Relatives! Sleep! (but not with relatives, because ew). Could never find the time to get back to the computer and write.

We ended up traveling to Door County, Wisconsin. If you look at the map, it's the part of the state that's peninsular and sticks out into Lake Michigan. Lots of touristy stuff there, but high-class. My brother and I commented that we were going to get kicked out because we didn't belong with this class of people.

Lots of feels about this one. As far as workouts go, this was actually surprisingly okay. One of my travel days was a rest day, so it wasn't a big deal. Then the next day, we went kayaking in the open water of the bay, and that shit counts. The next day, we went out to do some deep-lake trawl fishing out in Lake Michigan. You ever try keeping your balance on a pitching boat while reeling in seven-and-eight-pound fish while the boat is pulling you and the fish in opposite directions? Yeah. It's a workout. We caught wild salmon and rainbow trout, and because we didn't want to pay for freezing and shipping, we donated it to local food pantries instead. See, that's how high class this place is: even the poor people there eat better than me. ^_^;

Nothing doing with isometrics, though, and no news on directly-applied core work. 

Also, my writing is totally borked. As far as scoring goes, it's gonna suck. I'm at peace with it, though, in light of the fact that I got back to my writing last night and found myself in the flow state, a place I haven't been in a really long time. The goal, overall, feels like a major success. Low numbers be damned. And just to prove it to you, I have a new blog entry to show you guys. It's actually about writing! What a risk! </shameless plugging>

So, after having had the chance to step away from the challenge for a while and just decompress, you'd think I was feeling pretty good, right?

Well, on a certain level I am. I'm glad to be back writing and training and working.

But I'm not gonna lie: I'm feeling a little heavy in the heart-place. My parents are getting ready to move out to Iowa to be closer to my grandma, and this reunion was probably the last time I'm going to see them for a really long time. And the necessity of it - long story, but they built a house and couldn't afford to keep it - makes me feel like a failure. I always told myself I'd write this great story, this great novel, and people would love it and I wouldn't keep much but I'd put it toward debt and give the rest to them because I love my family and I want to take care of them. I failed to do that, and everything I've tried to make money and be successful (according to that measure of success) has been a failure also.

And now I have this awesome job, but it's too little, too late. And it's in the inbetween place, meaning I'm only being paid to develop the studio's marketing, not train clients of my own. $600 is not enough to live off of, so I had to apply for unemployment again this week. Which sucks. I'm right back in the not-having-enough-money-to-eat place this week, and even though I know it's not going to last, that just weighs on me more. I talked with the chief trainer today, and he's basically giving me the all-clear to set my own projects. Which is great, until you get that the subtext is that he had no freaking plans to actually go forward with the marketing on his own, and if I hadn't asked I could very well have ended up in the lurch for a longer time than I thought I was. Good that I caught it, but disappointing that he didn't have my back as much as I'd thought.

But I'm not done yet. That coaching did me a lot of good. I ended up picking up some bodyweight bodybuilding stuff (that is apparently a thing, and it turns out that doing so is a fantastic way to retain functional strength and still get to LGN status. DAMMIT. If I'd known for sure that I didn't need a gym, I'd never have signed that contract. Gotta look into breaking that thing). I also got some great dietary ideas in terms of how to time certain nutrient intakes, and just some general encouragement. I'm on the final cycle of my fifty-day program, and I'm pleased to say that I was able to stick with it, even if it didn't necessarily get me the results I was looking for. So that particular insecurity is dealt with.

So! Much clapping and rubbing of hands. This sucker's going to be done with a deload, and I'll be able to jump right into my next thing. Training my body back into fasting mode, and drinking more water since I can't afford greens drink anymore. Ready to finish this thing strong.

Good to know you are doing well Oh Leader!

I imagined you were busy. Hope you have more free time soon. But if you don´t, do not worry. You pretty much supported us all for most of the challenge!

Oh Leader? Wow, way too formal. I much prefer His Living Potentate Excellency Sir Doctor Master Generalissimo Kishi. I mean, you know. Keeping it in good taste and everything. :D

Yeah, I got my free time back. Tried to spend it with y'all. Hope that's cool.

Wow, Kish, there's a lot going on with you right now!

I'm super glad you had such a great time with your family! Kayaking?? FUN! That's on my bucket list. I'd love to do that one day.

MMMMMMmmmmmm fresh willd caught salmon...Id be ALL over that.

I'm sorry about your parents moving. I'm sure it will be sad not to see them for a while. You can't blame that on yourself. Yes, that would have been nice for you to be able to do that for your family, but it does not make you a failure. Not even close.

Sorry about your job, too. You know what, though? It was a risk and you took it. That is admirable. Nothing in your life is going to change if you dont try knew things. :) You knew what you wanted and you went for it. It's just time to try, try again. You have our support, Leader!

:)

Wow, Kish, there's a lot going on with you right now!

I'm super glad you had such a great time with your family! Kayaking?? FUN! That's on my bucket list. I'd love to do that one day.

MMMMMMmmmmmm fresh willd caught salmon...Id be ALL over that.

I'm sorry about your parents moving. I'm sure it will be sad not to see them for a while. You can't blame that on yourself. Yes, that would have been nice for you to be able to do that for your family, but it does not make you a failure. Not even close.

Sorry about your job, too. You know what, though? It was a risk and you took it. That is admirable. Nothing in your life is going to change if you dont try knew things. :) You knew what you wanted and you went for it. It's just time to try, try again. You have our support, Leader!

:)

I KNOW, RITE.

Yeah. It wasn't the first time I'd done kayaking, but it was the first time in open water without a river current to help. Not painful, which I was afraid of, but very tiring. Same with the fishing. Dad apparently took that trip so that he could watch my brother and I fish. We ended up having as many as three fish on the line at the same time, and it was just the three of us, the men in my family working together and doing something awesome.

And you know, the thing is. I know that's true. I know that I made my decisions, and I did the best I could with what I had. I know that in a rational way. It's just taking a while to get the emotions in line.

I'm glad you think so. I've talked it over with a friend of mine in economics, and it's a risk that'll pay off in the long run. I'm trying to take that pain of their leaving and turn it into energy for doing more things. That means, unfortunately, it's gotta stay with me a little while. Just to give me that head start to get used to the hard parts.

Thank you for stopping by. :)

Kayaking is a blast. And definitely a workout.  Glad to hear you had fun, at least, on your trip.

And I'm sorry to hear about your struggles and feelings of failure. I understand. And I know you know, logically, that you're not actually a failure. You are young. So many years ahead and there is no telling what's in store.  I do know that your resilience and perseverance will pay off in the end.

Stay strong, Kishi-san :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Damn, you've been running around like a crazy person.  But I think we all already knew that - otherwise you wouldn't fit in or be able to lead the Monkery. :P

I am also incredibly jealous that you got to kayak.  I love canoeing/kayaking, and I don't get to do it often enough (though a junior instructor at my dojo *did* offer to let me use his things if I ever wanted to.... I may take that up next summer).  Looks like you over all had an epic family reunion.  I've never really had a family reunion (at least not as the movies would have it), so I'm kinda jealous.

And it's a bummer about your folks moving.  I know far too many people who are in similar situations, and it's really depressing.  If it's not college loans killing us, it's mortgages...

Also, I love your blog post.  Particularly the last two lines.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I just read your last blog post.  I like what you said about literature as escapism. That's my favorite kind!

PS. NC State, huh?  I graduated from UNC Greensboro, since State didn't offer my major.  Go Wolfpack!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Kayaking is a blast. And definitely a workout.  Glad to hear you had fun, at least, on your trip.

And I'm sorry to hear about your struggles and feelings of failure. I understand. And I know you know, logically, that you're not actually a failure. You are young. So many years ahead and there is no telling what's in store.  I do know that your resilience and perseverance will pay off in the end.

Stay strong, Kishi-san :)

Yeah, for serious! Also, the guide was a cute German girl, summering in the States before going back to study Environmental Law. Couldn't let her think ill of me. :D

You're right. I'm young. And I'm finally figuring out how to love what I do, and want it to prosper. The story ain't over by a long shot.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Damn, you've been running around like a crazy person.  But I think we all already knew that - otherwise you wouldn't fit in or be able to lead the Monkery. :tongue:

I am also incredibly jealous that you got to kayak.  I love canoeing/kayaking, and I don't get to do it often enough (though a junior instructor at my dojo *did* offer to let me use his things if I ever wanted to.... I may take that up next summer).  Looks like you over all had an epic family reunion.  I've never really had a family reunion (at least not as the movies would have it), so I'm kinda jealous.

And it's a bummer about your folks moving.  I know far too many people who are in similar situations, and it's really depressing.  If it's not college loans killing us, it's mortgages...

Also, I love your blog post.  Particularly the last two lines.

It was epic. Days of working out and being epic and catching up. Nights of bar-hopping with my brother. I got to understand him better, and if things go south with Syria, this might have been my last chance to see him for a while. (Upside of serving four years in the Marines: the GI Bill. Downside: inactive reserve status).

And yeah. It's worse than that. My dad was "prematurely retired" from his position, so the money that they were using to pay the mortgage pretty much went down the tube. And as for me, I keep having to make IBRs and Forbearance requests, and the situation never gets better. If I ended up making as much money as I could being a personal trainer... honestly, I wouldn't know what to do. My first reflex would be to send it home, but I know that's not helping them as much as helping myself will help them in the long run. It's tricky.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Which two lines are you talking about? The 'official' last two lines, or the last two lines in parentheses?

I just read your last blog post.  I like what you said about literature as escapism. That's my favorite kind!

PS. NC State, huh?  I graduated from UNC Greensboro, since State didn't offer my major.  Go Wolfpack!

Man, me too. Sometimes all the blog posts and training manuals are just too much. Gotta let go. I've been reading Veronica Roth's 'Divergent' series at the behest of a friend of mine, and loved them madly.

PS. UNC-G! Good writers there. Big fan of Orson Scott Card, even if he's a homophobic looney. You live here in NC?

Funny you should mention Orson Scott Card.  I just this morning ordered Ender's Game.  My husband highly recommended it, and I want to read it before the movie release this fall.

My family is in NC, but I married a career Marine, so I'm still traipsing the planet.  The GI Bill isn't the only pro:  I've spent a total of 5 years in Hawaii!  (But yes, the risk of war is a scary con.)  I'm in Florida for the nonce.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Funny you should mention Orson Scott Card.  I just this morning ordered Ender's Game.  My husband highly recommended it, and I want to read it before the movie release this fall.

My family is in NC, but I married a career Marine, so I'm still traipsing the planet.  The GI Bill isn't the only pro:  I've spent a total of 5 years in Hawaii!  (But yes, the risk of war is a scary con.)  I'm in Florida for the nonce.

Hmm, scary times for you and yours indeed. I hope you weather it well.

And yesss, Ender's Game. I don't think O. Scott would have given the green light to the project unless it was really going to rock. I hope it does.

Schedule: 35/37

Odd strength: 28/32

Writing: 27.5/37

Training was short and sweet today. Eight rounds of tabata sprints, with a twenty minute walk to cool back down. Was pressed for time, so ended up practicing just horse stance for my isometric training. Hit 85 seconds. Writing was accomplished.

Short, sweet, and to the point. That's how it rolls tonight.

DUDE!!! 

BEST BOOK EVAR!!! :D  It's actually a trilogy. Lemme know how you like it :)

I liked the first two pretty good. I've heard I should skip the third, though. It gets a little weird for O. Scott, and seeing as he's pretty out there anyway that's probably saying something.

Schedule: 36/38

Odd strength: 29/33

Writing: 28.5/38

Boy, I did not want to train today. Got more bad news on top of the bad news I had in front of me. One: the unemployment is apparently going to be delayed by several weeks. It seems that when you tell the gubb'ment that you quit your job that you have to prove that you're worthy of the money that was taken from you specifically for this purpose. Â¯\(°_o)/¯

And then it got better - my car basically got the equivalent of a terminal cancer diagnosis. The power steering rack is on its last legs, and the cost of the repair is more than likely more than the value of the car itself. So, me and my busted average credit rating have to go and find something with wheels.

Also, in a strange fit of fated pettiness, the straps I got for the suspension training apparatus I'm building don't even fit the freaking pull up bar.

Phew. People. It's been a long week.

Anyway, today was a deload day, so here's what I did:

Pull Up Negatives: 4x4

Squats: 4x16

Push Ups: 4x11

Lunges: 4x11

Inverted Rows: 4x7 (had to learn the bowline knot to make this work with the rings and the straps. It'll work. Just gotta figure out the knot).

Bent Leg Calf Raises: 4x17

Bench Dips: 4x8

No finisher. And I was tired. Didn't really care to record the time. Finished it around 40 minutes or so.

I know I'm supposed to go and get these crises resolved immediately, but I think I'm going to take tomorrow to just breathe. This sh!t's not going away. It'll be ready for me Sunday anyway.

Huh, took me this long to realise that after all the commenting you do on my posts I haven't reciprocated (just hovered and read). 

Financial hardship times are a massive pain and great to hear that you're giving yourself the mental time off from being mired in worry from time to time (also, the exercise probably helps, even when you really don't wanna do it).

Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead are excellent! (I've also read Ender's Shadow, which was really interesting and elucidating for the first novel, but not required reading). Not to say I approve of OSC for the aforementioned homophobic lunacy (I'm in a country where, as of recently, I can get married, but even though he's far away it still rankles).

Sigh, from your blog "All writers are obligated to write the Next Great Something. Write it, but never finish it. That's what makes us fun to talk to at parties." So many feels for that thought, for both academic and fiction writing. Also, excellent blog posts so far.

Level 3 Monk

STR[8]  DEX[6]  STA[8]  CON[10]  WIS[8]  CHA[7] 

Current Challenge

Aw, Kish, I'm so sorry, man. :(  If I lived near you I'd tots give you rides err'were. Car troubles SUCK!

You are a beast to keep trekking on the way you do. You have had so much this challenge pulling you down and you are still here trying to better yourself and keep moving forward all while lifting all of us up too. Much respect and much love.

I hope it gets better for you soon. :)

Sorry for your troubles, man. I will say that a car doesn't need power steering. And depending on the car and your mechanical knowledge, it's pretty easy to disable completely. Not having power steering sucks on so many levels; however, it does relieve some of the pressure of finding a car now.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Push ups: Yellow Belt

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines