• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] Creating Your Character

Making Your Nerd Fitness Character

Before we begin, I would just like to make note that this is COMPLETELY optional and something we just do for fun.

**NOTE: If this is your FIRST challenge on Nerd Fitness, while you can make a "base character" by picking a race and a desired class, that's as far as we would like you to go until you make it through at least half of your first challenge.

This is based off of Steve's Article, "Real Life Role Playing: What is Your Profession"

Step One: Determine Your Race

Which should be easy, because your race is already determined.

Let’s talk about your “race.”

Every RPG always has elves, hobbits, ogres, trolls, humans, wood elves, night elves, etc. Each race has their own particular attributes that make them who they are. Take a look in the mirror RIGHT NOW. That’s your race. 300 pounds overweight, 50 pounds underweight, average, tall, short, beer gut, 6-pack abs, etc. These are attributes about yourself that you cannot change immediately, so that’s your starting point. Depending on your “race,” certain professions will be easier or harder for you to obtain.

Here’s an example: If you are an ogre (really tall and quite overweight), it’s going to be more work for you to become a really good Assassin (Parkour traceur), but if you’re willing to put the time in, anything is possible. Maybe you’re an elf (incredibly thin) and you want to be a super-strong Warrior. You’re going to need to spend months and months eating insane amounts of calories and lifting heavy weights to get results, but it is possible.

We don't have a list of races to choose from - you can find a list of a bunch here.

You can change your race at any time - so if you start off as an ogre and end up a pixie, that's fine It's just for fun.

Make sense? Good!

Step Two: Let’s determine your class or profession.

Your Profession, or "class", is not pre-determined. This is how you train and what you do on a daily basis.

Like your race, you can change this at any time. So if you start out an adventurer and end up a warrior - that's fine! Like race, you can change your profession as much as you like with no penalty.

We have seven classes, and I'm sorry, no, unlike race, you can't choose your own

Warrior

This tank is incredibly strong and powerful, pushing weight like it’s his job. Which is good, because it IS his job. Big, bulky, and strong as an ox, Warriors constantly try to push themselves to be bigger, better, stronger. Eating and lifting are the only two things Warriors worry about. You do NOT want to go punch for punch with a Warrior. You will get destroyed.

Primary attributes: Strength

Training: Pure strength-building weight training, Olympic lifting.

Real life example: Any World’s Strongest Man competitor, any of the weightlifters in the Olympics.

Scout

Scouts can cover great distances in a short amount of time. Built for distance and efficiency rather than strength and power, these guys can outlast any animal on the planet. They eat a diet higher in carbohydrates to give them enough fuel to survive these grueling treks cross-country, and their muscles are designed to last for hours rather than minutes or seconds (like a Warrior). A growing contingent of scouts have moved to barefoot running, returning to their ancient ancestral roots.

Primary attributes:Stamina

Training: Lots of distance training, long bike rides, high volume exercises with any sort of weight training.

Real life example: Marathon runners, Ironman athletes.

Ranger

Rangers are a hybrid of Warriors and Scouts, built for strength AND endurance. A jack-of-all-trades but master of none, Rangers are well-equipped for any situation. Their weight training revolves around varying the reps, sets, and downtime to continually force those body to adapt to new situations. Usually Rangers follow a Paleo Diet, eating things that can only be found in nature. Thanks to this type of training and diet, Rangers have incredibly low body-fat percentages.

Primary attributes: Functional strength, adaptability.

Training:Lots of weight training but with minimal downtime (think crossfit and 300 training).

Real Life example: Gerard Butler in 300, Annie Thorisdottir

Assassin

To assassins, the world is one giant playground. Every building can be climbed, every gap can be jumped, every obstacle can be conquered. Assassins focus their time training toward mastering body weight skills.

Fearless, calculated, and efficient, Assassins have low body fat percentages because extra weight could mean the difference between life and death on a mission. They have solid endurance as well, allowing them to progress through an obstacle-filled environment without breaking a sweat.

Primary Attributes: Agility, stamina

Training: Parkour, free running, rock climbing.

Real World example: Parkour traceurs, free runners, most athletes onNinja Warrior.

Monk

This isn’t the monk you’re used to. These monks can kick your ass with their fists and feet, and they will do it before you even knew what happened. Incredibly agile, lightning fast, and loaded with power, Monks specialize in martial arts to stay in shape and destroy the opposition.

Training is mostly spent in dojos and in the ring, with some weight training thrown in to help produce stronger punches and kicks. Monks only carry enough weight and muscle to provide maximum efficiency with each attack. Muscles are compact and powerful, core strength is high, and speed is favored over size.

Primary Attributes:Agility, power

Training: MMA, Capoeria, Muay Thai boxing, Tai Kwon Do

Real life example:Georges St. Pierre (MMA fighter).

Druid

Druids are one with nature. Often vegan or vegetarian, they specialize in being one with themselves, finding balance in everything. These peaceful folk spend a majority of their time training in the arts of yoga, meditation, and tai chi. Strength training is only done if necessary, as most druids aren’t interested in massive muscles or explosive power. Druids also follow a minimalist diet, high in vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Some eat meat, but only enough to get sufficient protein. Processed foods are the enemy.

Primary attributes: agility, flexibility

Training:meditation, yoga, tai chi

Real life example: Yoga instructors

Adventurer

Adventurers haven’t quite picked a path yet - or if they have, they’re still working on gathering the skills to start their work in their profession of choice. Named the “Adventurers” based on the fact that everything is an adventure in every sense of the word - new, risky, and unsure of the outcome. These brave souls are not afraid of anything though, and are often found working diligently with their allies to help ensure every adventure leads to the correct path.

Primary Attributes: Varies on the adventurer and the path they choose to take. Mixed interests/passions.

Training: Beginner’s programs - Starting Strength, C25K, etc.

Real Life Examples: Weight Loss

Step Three: Attribute Points

In every RPG, you start off with a set of skills based on your base character (your base character is what you are starting with, right now).

Here on Nerd Fitness, we are going to use the following six attributes:

• Strength (STR) - physical strength
  • Dexterity (DEX) - agility and speed
  • Stamina (STA) - Endurance and Energy
  • Constitution (CON) - ability to resist damage and disease
  • Wisdom (WIS) - intuition and sense of things around himself
  • Charisma (CHA) - force of personality and physical attractiveness
Here's where it gets fun!

You start at level 0 with 0 attribute points. If you join a challenge, and complete the first 3 weeks (50%) you move up to Level 1, at which point you can assign yourself 10 starting attribute points.

To make this the most realistic, try to distribute them to reflect your actual strengths and weaknesses. So if you're extremely strong but really slow - put more points towards STR than to DEX.

Step Four: Determining your level and earning more attribute points

Your level is quite easy to figure out - if you're reading this and setting up your character for the first time, you're a level 0!

You increase one level for completing the first 50% (3 weeks) of the 6 week challenge, and increase one more level to Level 2 after you complete your first 6 week challenge.

After that, for every 6 week challenge you participate in, you increase one level.

Since this is a real life role playing game, in order to earn more attribute points to level up your character, you must participate in 6 week challenges to earn more attribute points.

The instructions on how to do that are here.

And that's it!

If you want to edit your signature to reflect your new character, here is how:

You can make the signature in any format that you would like - most of us have chosen to include the following:

• Class and Profession
  • Current Attributes
  • Link to Current Challenge (If there is one in progress)
To edit your signature, go to the upper right hand corner of the screen where you see your name. Click on the down arrow, and then "My Settings".

On this new screen, lefthand side you will see a tab that says "My Signature". This is where you update your signature.

NOTE: We no longer allow images in your signature. If you want to add your class crest to your profile, instructions are here.

• Like 15

I'm trying to add a link to my challenge in my signature, all i can come up with is:

<a href="http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/41781-mangostrike-challenge-1-first-blood/" class="bbc_url" title="">1. First Blood</a>

but it's not displaying a short little link, like I see in everyone else's signature. What am I doing wrong?

The boards dont support html tags. You have to use BBCode

On the replybox/editor there is lnik button you can use. Else the code looks like this: 

[url=http://www.google.com]TEXT!!![/url]
  • Like 3

Hey guys,

some time ago we had this sort of personality test to determine our race for the real-life-RP. I can't find this anymore, does someone know the link and would care to post it here? Thanks in advance :)

• Like 2

Thanks for this especially the link to the quiz I'm all set now just have to wait for the next challenge to start.. I found all this too late this time but I'm starting exercises until the next start!

• Like 1

Hey Vasilis777, how'd you get those there fancy progress bars in your sig? 

I'm not Vasilis777 but I can help! There is a small button in the editing tools - between the quote button and the tweet button - that makes the progress bars.

• Like 2

So sorry if I haven't found this... I'm a science nerd... I have little experience with forum searching :)

I see that when you get half way through Beginners you get Level 1 and 10 attribute points.  Do you get 10 attribute points per level?  

I'm a level 2 assassin and am trying to get this right!  :)

• Like 1

So sorry if I haven't found this... I'm a science nerd... I have little experience with forum searching :)

I see that when you get half way through Beginners you get Level 1 and 10 attribute points.  Do you get 10 attribute points per level?  

I'm a level 2 assassin and am trying to get this right!   :)

Here is the Stat Point Rules

For clarity after level 2: 

After you have reached Level 2, you have the potential of obtaining 15 attribute points per challenge. These will be split up between your goals. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Wait, so I'm a little confused now. If we're on our first challenge, do have zeroes across the board or starting, low number stats? Because with that quiz thingy, I ended up as a Level 1 with 15 points to distribute

Wait, so I'm a little confused now. If we're on our first challenge, do have zeroes across the board or starting, low number stats? Because with that quiz thingy, I ended up as a Level 1 with 15 points to distribute

Yeah the rules have changed since the quiz was made. First challenge you are level 0 with no stat points. You reach level 1 after three weeks and 10 stat points. Before your seond challenge yo uare level 2 with an additional 15 stat points to allocate.

well it appears I'm a water elemental/dragon kin who is a sort of assassin(climbing and parkour, but martial arts instead of gymnastics and weightlifting instead of bodyweight exercises. ) Next?

• Like 1

I'm curious to know if anyone has created a formula to "roll" stats based on actual physical performance?

I rolled my STR stat by adding my max reps for certain exercises and dividing by the number of exercises.

Example:

Pushups 30
Pull Ups 5
Squats 50
ABD Plank for time 6 minutes

30+5+50+6=91
91/4=30.3

So my STR will be 30

Constitution is a little bit more tricky. I'd like to base it off biometrics of health. Resting Heart Rate, Waist to Hip Ratio, A1c, Longest Fast complete in hours... etc.

A Max HP stat could be generated with CON x # of Biometrics used.

I'm having a little difficulty with biomarkers that actually go down as they get better like resting HR. A lower resting HR is a good thing, but actuall lowers over all score.

Same with Endurance.

END for me is number of workouts completed + 1.5 mile run (or other endurance activity) in minutes *.5= END stat.

Difficult to increase the score as my run time improves.

Intelligence is a fun one. I'm going based on my educational accomplishments.

Certifications are 10 pts + 1 pt for each year held while the cert is still valid.

Expired certs are worth 5pts each.

A college degree is worth 50 pts per 2 year degree.

1 pts for every year worked in a skilled field (i.e. no fast food or entry level job.)

Add up these scores and divide by 2.

Wisdom is a thing which truly comes with age... and study.

So my WIS stat is age + philosophy courses taken.

Dexterity could be based on ability to perform physically difficult skills like gymnast skills or Oly lifting skills. Things that are technically difficult. It could also be based on ability to perform no fitness based skilled activities like carpentry, massage therapy, yoga etc etc.

A max SP/ MP could be generated from these numbers multiplied or divided by the number of metrics tracked.

Fun to play with. And slightly more "accurate" than simply adding numbers because we've subjectively decided that we 'passed' a 6 week challenge; the "challenge" of course being to simply "do 10 push ups every day.

That's NOT a challenge. Base your stats of performance. Tweak it as you go.

• Like 2

Hello! This is my first time on the forums and am super excited to start the challenges. Figured I'd post my Base character here and dive right in! :D 

Absuna

Base Character: Wood Elf

Desired Class / Profession: Druid

Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

I think I'm an ogrelf, as I'm 5'11', 68kgs, tummy, man boobs and a horrible flabby figure. Totally unfit.

What I wanna be, is an assassin with the strength of a warrior. Kind of like hit girl in kick-ass meets bobby lashley in the wwe.

So I guess I want to be.......... Ass-Warrior? Or a Warassin

• Like 6