• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] Stat Points and Levelling Up

CHARACTER CREATION IS CHANGING COURSE - IF YOU STILL WANT TO USE THIS METHOD, PLEASE DO (MANY DO! :) ), HOWEVER IT IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED OR UPDATED BY NERD FITNESS.

So now that you've created your character and assigned starting attribute points, you're probably wondering how to gain more attribute points and increase your level.

STARTING OUT

How do I determine what Level I am/when it's time to Level Up?

You start at Nerd Fitness at Level 0.  If you join a challenge, and complete the first 3 weeks (50%), you move up to Level 1.  When you achieve Level 1, you are able to assign yourself 10 starting stat points.  

Once you complete your first challenge, you move up to level 2 and get one extra point for each goal completed.  You decide what attribute each goal contributes to.  That's an extra four points (one for each diet/fitness goal that supports your main quest, and one for your life goal)

Therefore, you have the possibility of starting your second challenge, at Level 2 with 14 attribute points.

LEVELLING UP

How do I determine what Level I am/when it's time to Level Up?

You start your second challenge at level 2. If you SUCCESSFULLY complete it, you move up to level 3.  If you drop out/fail, you stay at level 2.

This continues on - if you finish your third challenge successfully, you move to level 4, and so on.

If you fail/drop out of a challenge, you do not level up.

ATTRIBUTE POINTS

Attribute points aren't just handed out on participation, like levelling.

As a part of your 6 Week Challenge, you will be creating goals. 

You will be given the opportunity to earn attribute points by how well you complete those goals.

Assigning Attribute Points To Goals

*note: this is completely optional and just for fun. It is not a required part of the 6 week challenge.

After you have reached Level 2, you have the potential of obtaining 15 attribute points per challenge. These will be split up between your goals. 

You will decide on your own what attribute points to assign to each goal, based on the type of goal and what is involved. 

So lets say that your main quest is to fit into a size ____, and your goals are:

• Run 5k without stopping

• Cut out soda completely

• Strength train at least 5 times a week

And your life quest is:

• Pay $1000 towards debt

So what we do is we take these goals and compare them to our attributes.

We use 6 attributes in NF Real Life Roleplaying:

• Strength (STR) - physical strength

• Dexterity (DEX) - agility and speed

• Stamina (STA) - Endurance and Energy

• Constitution (CON) - ability to resist damage and disease

• Wisdom (WIS) - intuition and sense of things around himself

• Charisma (CHA) - force of personality and physical attractiveness

There is no list of rules as to what exercises or life goals go with specific attributes - you decide this on your own, but please make sure they make sense.

Using our goals above, here is how I decided to assign attributes (reminder: 15 points are up for grab every challenge):

1) Run 5K without stopping

Since this is all endurance, we are going to assign 5 points to Stamina (STA)

2) Strength train at least 5 times a week.

This is strength training, so I'm going to give 3 points to Strength and then 2 points to Stamina (STA) because it's 5 times a week which will require stamina.

3) Cut out soda completely

Since this is a diet and health, I’m going to put 3 points towards this and have them all go towards Constitution (CON)

4) Pay $1000 towards debt

I’m going to say this is a wisdom issue. Since I’ve already used 13 points, I’m going to take the last 2 and place them here. 2 for Wisdom (WIS)

Now, there is a bit of strategy involved here - you want to put the most points towards either:

the goal you know you’ll do better on, or

the goal you need the most work with and encouragement to complete

If at the end of the challenge, you achieve these goals, you can add the attribute points to your character.

Notes:

*No more than 5pts per goal

*Every goal must have attribute points associated with it

*You really decide what attribute points, but people may make suggestions

*This is where having less goals is better - less goals to spread out the points between. (Hey, look, strategy!  )

Grading Yourself and Awarding Attribute Points

At the end of the challenge, give yourself a grade on how you did achieving your goals. Then, based on how you did, award points. Partial points are allowed.

A - 100% B - 75% C - 50% D - 25% F - 0%

So using our goal examples from above, lets grade ourselves. 

Goal Attributes Assigned Grade Attributes Awarded Run 5k without stopping Stamina, 5 B (made it 4k) Stamina, 3.75 points (5*.75) Strength Train 3x a week Stamina, 2
Strength, 3

C (went on average 3x a week) Stamina, 1pt (2*.5)
Strength, 1.5pts (3*.5)

Cut out soda Constitution, 3 A Constitution, 3 (3*1) Pay $1,000 towards debt Wisdom, 2 D (paid $250) Wisdom, .5 (2*.25)

For a total of 9.75 points

To help with the math, here is a chart:

FAQ:

Why can't I do this as a part of my first challenge?

We feel as if it's too much at first.  We'd rather you get all the other rules down before bringing in these.  Plus we've seen people focus too much on trying to understand the stat points and that time takes away from the time they have to achieve their goals.

Do I start with any stat points?

Nope.  You used to, but no longer.

How else do I get stat points?

Sometimes a guild leader will give them out for a mini quest.  They can NOT be given out by other (non guild leader) members as a part of PVP challenges.

What about Rising Heroes?

We're working as hard as we can to get this out to you as quickly as possible - so we aren't going to make this game more advanced, as all points will be wiped out and will not carry over.  (haven't heard of Rising Heroes?  sign up for info: http://blog.risingheroes.com/)

• Like 15

FYI everyone after thinking about everyone's concerns with the new stat point rules, I've decided to change it so you do get points your first challenge.  I've updated the stat point rules for new challengers, and updated the RLRP thread here:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/33334-real-life-role-playing-stat-points-and-levelling-up/

I've also deleted posts discussing the old rules as to not confuse anyone - not to delete people's complaints. :)

• Like 3

Hi Spezzy,

Just a quick clarification on these two points...

Once you complete your first challenge, you move up to level 2 and get one extra point for each goal completed.

and...

You start your second challenge at level 1. If you SUCCESSFULLY complete it, you move up to level 2.

Sorry to nitpick; I'm super competitive and don't want to cheat the system!

• Like 1

I guess I'm confused between whether we gain up to four points after challenge 1 or up to 15. Both were stated in here and I've never played an RPG so I'm not sure if there's a difference that I should know about.

• Like 1

Re levelling up...

If you change your guild, do you start again at level 0, or do you retain your current level?

Nope. You maintain your level and character points that you have earned. :)

There is no penalty for training with a variety of guilds.

So people who don't create characters for role playing do not level up, ever? Doesn't completing a regular challenge, without creating a character, level one up?

So people who don't create characters for role playing do not level up, ever? Doesn't completing a regular challenge, without creating a character, level one up?

The level up rules are for your character.  You absolutely level up in real life by completing a challenge, simply by completing the challenge.

But these rules are specifically for how people playing the Real Life Role Playing game would level up their character. 

From what I've read, the way I understand it is like this:

You start at level 0 when you start your first challenge. When you finish 3 weeks (half) of that first challenge you get 10 points to distribute as you wish and you become a level 1. At the end of the 6 weeks, you get 1 point for each goal (3 for your main quest and 1 for your side quest) and you become a level 2.

At the end of your next challenge you become a level 3 (each challenge thereafter you only go up one level) and you can earn 15 points to allocate as you wish between your goals. (No more than 5 points per goal) You can also earn points by doing the guild side quests.

• Like 6

Do the ten points we get in Week three of our first challenge have to be distributed according to what our goals for that challenge actually were or can they be evenly spread across the six attributes, even if none of our goals had anything to do with certain attributes? For example, none of my first challenge goals related to CON or CHA, am I still allowed to put a couple of my ten points toward those attributes? 

Do the ten points we get in Week three of our first challenge have to be distributed according to what our goals for that challenge actually were or can they be evenly spread across the six attributes, even if none of our goals had anything to do with certain attributes? For example, none of my first challenge goals related to CON or CHA, am I still allowed to put a couple of my ten points toward those attributes?

The way I understood is those first 10 points are to round out your character as you wish! It doesn't have to do with your challenge goals. :)

The way I understood is those first 10 points are to round out your character as you wish! It doesn't have to do with your challenge goals. :)

Thank you! 

I have a small question about this part:

"Once you complete your first challenge, you move up to level 2 and get one extra point for each goal completed.  You decide what attribute each goal contributes to.  That's an extra four points (one for each diet/fitness goal that supports your main quest, and one for your life goal)"

It's very confusing since it says in the Challenge F.A.Q:

"The Level 1 Rebels Group is kind of like a tutorial level.  It's got 100% focus on your main quest, as there are no diet/fitness side quests and no mini quests.  There are also no stat points awarded if you're doing real life role playing."

So: does my very first challenge have diet/fitness/life quests or not? Do I get stat points for my first challenge or not?

I have a small question about this part:

"Once you complete your first challenge, you move up to level 2 and get one extra point for each goal completed.  You decide what attribute each goal contributes to.  That's an extra four points (one for each diet/fitness goal that supports your main quest, and one for your life goal)"

It's very confusing since it says in the Challenge F.A.Q:

"The Level 1 Rebels Group is kind of like a tutorial level.  It's got 100% focus on your main quest, as there are no diet/fitness side quests and no mini quests.  There are also no stat points awarded if you're doing real life role playing."

So: does my very first challenge have diet/fitness/life quests or not? Do I get stat points for my first challenge or not?

You have no side quests, but still a main quest. As for the stat points the Instructions are correct and I have updated the FAQ to reflect this (there were several changes about the stat points when we first rolled them out)

Okay, as someone completing my first challenge I have a question. The rules state:

Once you complete your first challenge, you move up to level 2 and get one extra point for each goal completed.  You decide what attribute each goal contributes to.  That's an extra four points (one for each diet/fitness goal that supports your main quest, and one for your life goal)

I actually failed at one of my goals,but when looking at my overall completion I earned a C. So do I get all 4 of these attribute points or do I just get 3 of the 4 since I failed at one of my goals.

Also, I had a horrible time finding this set of directions. I'm not sure I'll be able to navigate back to even find the answer. Is there any way you can message me. I'll keep clicking around until I stumble upon it again because I know it's here, but any pointers on how to find the Real Life Role Playing Boards would be much appreciated. I love this site, but I'm not really very nerdy, especially in the technology area!

I wanted an even more finely tuned version of this, so I made one to satisfy my craving for specific, objective, grading.

I think other slightly obsessive nerds out there will benefit from this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoRugFL8_cvBdF9DOWI3MGlaRTRSRDhsS0RsRDR6Z1E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

• Like 4

Okay, as someone completing my first challenge I have a question. The rules state:

I actually failed at one of my goals,but when looking at my overall completion I earned a C. So do I get all 4 of these attribute points or do I just get 3 of the 4 since I failed at one of my goals.

Also, I had a horrible time finding this set of directions. I'm not sure I'll be able to navigate back to even find the answer. Is there any way you can message me. I'll keep clicking around until I stumble upon it again because I know it's here, but any pointers on how to find the Real Life Role Playing Boards would be much appreciated. I love this site, but I'm not really very nerdy, especially in the technology area!

Yes, 3 out of 4 points.

As for navigating back here: Go to the 6 Week Challenge Sub forum the the Rules/FAQs section. 

Quick question. I was reading through the mini challenges of the Assassins and the Rangers and I noticed that the Assassins awarded extra AP for the Mini-quests(challenges) but the Rangers do not mention anything about stats. Is this just one of the differences between clans or do you always get extra AP for doing mini-quests(challenges)?

• Like 1

Another question about the levels and AP: There is not a place on the NF boards where they are tracked, right? This is just something we each track on our own for fun? Or am I misunderstanding and missing something?

• Like 2

Another question about the levels and AP: There is not a place on the NF boards where they are tracked, right? This is just something we each track on our own for fun? Or am I misunderstanding and missing something?

Nope the boards don't track it. IT's totally for fun. Most people keep their stats in the sig.

• Like 2

Why is it that (at level 3 and onwards) we can earn up to 15 attributes points? Not that I expect anything to change, but it seems a bit much, and I just wondered how it came to be that way.