Spezzy's it all starts with food challenge!

spezzy

Spezzy's It All Starts with Food Challenge

lolcat-its-called-food-i-need-it-to-live

If anyone's been following my last few challenges, you'll have noticed that I seem to just be trudging through, getting my workouts in, but not really achieving my goals.  Last challenge I took a big step back and made my big goal to basically to not go absolutely crazy dealing with all that life was throwing at me at the time (car accident, concussion, totaled car a week before moving halfway across the country), and I succeeded pretty well, considering, and now that I'm getting settled here in Indiana, I'm kind of ready to get back on my feet and feel like "me" again.

But, truth be told, for the last 6-8 months, I've been struggling with depression, anger,  and massive anxiety attacks.  And on top of that, I've been tired pretty much all the time and I've been randomly gaining weight for what seems like absolutely no reason at all.  I'll do really well for a few weeks and then BAM, my body just doesn't want to do anything anymore, and I crash and burn. I've been able to maintain around 155 by doing really well and losing the weight the weeks when I'm doing well, but it comes right back even if I don't change what I'm doing.

But come to figure out, there actually IS a reason behind it.  And that reason has to do with this man right here:
Hashimoto_175_247_25121.jpg

Just kidding, he really has nothing to do with it.  It's actually this woman's fault:

1016609_901777459083_910732563_n.jpg
Because what I have is genetic.  (Love you Mom :) )

But back to the man.  This man is Hakaru Hashimoto.  Back in the early 1900's he published a paper on a disease where your body slowly starts attacking your thyroid until it stops functioning all together.  They named it after him - it's now something called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  And what are the symptoms of it?  Depression, anxiety, mania, fatigue, and weight gain (along with a ton of other things).

Luckily, due to the fact that I have such a high amount of this in my family (my mom, both of my grandmothers, like 6 of my aunts and uncles and a few of my cousins, just to start) we've been testing and caught it pretty early.

One of the other things I've been experiencing is something called Reactive Hypoglycemia.  This basically amplifies all of my symptoms plus gives me a few others (panic attacks, troubles sleeping, being super light headed/dizzy, confusion… etc).  This is caused by Hashimoto's - so if we fix one, we fix both.

We've looked back at dates when I've been the most crazy, and it seems to line up with times when my diet is poor (so around vacations, special occasions, moving, etc).   Also, over time, I've gotten more and more lenient with my strict paleo, and it's gotten worse along with that, so that's got to stop.  My doctor actually thinks this would have happened earlier if I wasn't doing strict paleo before.

I've been talking to doctors, and a few other people who have it, and one thing that we all agree on is that the first step to fixing this is diet.   I'd like to stay off medicine as long as possible, and my doctor is supporting that, especially since at first, when your body starts attacking your thyroid, it's extremely hard to treat as the amount of medicine you need is constantly fluctuating (and there's no easy way to tell without blood tests, which are hard now that I'm in Indiana without insurance)

So this is going to be a food challenge.

Main Quest: Fix what's going on with my body/health by perfecting my diet and exercise

Goal #1:  Clean up my diet and log everything
funny-pictures-cat-smells-rat-and-tries-

Super strict eating.
I will be eating a pretty strict paleo protocol - meat, vegetables, and fruit.
 With the following rules:

• Any beef has to be grass fed and/or organic
  • Eggs need to be organic or from a local farm
  • Dairy needs to be grass fed organic
  • No nuts or seeds
  • Whey protein is okay, though I'm going to look into grass fed organic here and see if it's in budget.

I'm going to learn exactly what I need to get organic and what I can get away with non organic, as budget is tight right now.
The Auto Immune Paleo protocol removes eggs, nuts, seeds, nightshades, alcohol, cocoa, coffee, and NSAIDs from your diet as well.  About 2 years ago I did a full auto immune paleo protocol for about 2 months and noticed no difference when I added eggs and nightshades back in.   
However, nuts and seeds give me horrible cramps yet I eat them anyways.  I've been forcing myself to keep them to "small quantities" to prevent myself from getting sick, but that's kind of stupid.   
The rest - cocoa, coffee, and NSAID's - aren't really in my diet anyways, so we're good there.
I'm not going to be super strict about sauces for the first few weeks, and them having sugar in them, but no gluten.  
If I have a "cheat" meal for some reason, gluten can not be in it.  I am going to go 100% of the 6 weeks without any at all.
As a part of this, I have to log everything.
This includes:

• What I eat 
  • Macros and all of that fun stuff.
  • When I eat it
  • When I work out
  • What kind of workouts I'm doing
  • My general mood around each of those items

The goal of this is to obviously notice patterns.

I'm going to take measurements and starting photos as well, and log all of that.  

Goal #2: Remove any emotion from eating
 i-love-you-food.jpg
I have ALWAYS been an emotional eater, and it's time to stop that. 

This includes all emotions, including boredom.  I think because I smoked for so many years, sometimes I eat because I'm looking for something to do with my hands.

So with this:

• No mindless eating because I'm bored.  If I eat, it has to be at the kitchen table (unless the actual situation calls for otherwise, like a picnic).  No eating at my desk in the office, or in the car, or anywhere that I'm just looking for a "quick fix"
  • No eating because I'm "sad" or "don't feel good".  Ice cream will make me feel better for the three minutes I'm eating it, and then only make things worse later.
  • No sneaking food and hiding it. 

Goal #3: Gain the knowledge I need to master my own destiny

LolcatReadThatPartAgain.jpg
Research.  I want to read everything there is about food and how it affects your body, not just for people with Hashimoto's but in general.

As a part of this, I'll be reading books as well as studies.  I'm not going to give you a specific amount of time per day, but I want to write at least a paragraph every day about something I've learned.  

Side Quest: Conditioning
gallery_335_1_76509.gif
I realized I've been neglecting my conditioning when I had a pretty bad asthma attack at the end of a set of deadlifts last week.  So - conditioning is going to be my side quest.

Every day, I must do some sort of conditioning for at least 10-15 minutes.  Any of the following count:

Life Quest:  Become a productivity ninja
So along with feeling depressed, there are days when I just sit here in my office and sulk.  And with that, I've somehow forgot how to be productive.

I need to make time to go to the gym, work, write for at least half an hour a day, and still have time to be somewhat social.

Also: I'm not going to make any friends out here if I don't actually have time to hang out with any of them, and have to work every evening.

So.  I need to do the following things:

• Get up by 9-10am at the latest every day.  This means I can't be nocturnal anymore.
  • Block Facebook and Twitter and other distractions every single day for the entire time I'm working
  • Write for at least half an hour a day (I need to do this to complete some projects I'm working on)
  • Put together a to do list EVERY DAY and make sure it's complete
  • Work from Starbucks at least 3 days a week, even if it's only for a few hours (I'm super super productive at starbucks for some reason)

I'll also be testing out EverNote, as everyone raves about it, and  testing the pomodoro technique (25 minutes on/5 minutes off) for productivity and really like it so far.

Any other tips would be great  :)

• Like 3
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Cheers to you for taking the epic route in dealing with this!  

• Like 1

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Main Quest: Figure out what's going on with my health by perfecting my diet and exercise schedule

Goal #1: 

Keep common allergens and sugar to an absolute minimum. If I am to cheat for some reason, I am not allowed to cheat with gluten at all.  

The rest is going to be pretty strict paleo - almost whole 30 although I'm not going to go super crazy about sauces like they do.  

Dairy I will be allowed after a workout only as it's proved to be crucial for when I get home and am dealing with lightheadedness and anxiety.

Goal #3:

Research.  I want to read everything there is about food and how it affects your body.  As a part of this, I'll be reading books as well as studies.  I'm not going to give you a specific amount of time, but I want to write at least a paragraph every day about something I've learned.  

Side Quest:

Continue to improve the Big 3 lifts.  Why is this even a quest? Because CrossFit is calling out to me, and I'm tempted, but I've been seeing really good gains on the programming I've been doing, and I think if I stick with it I could hit my 405 deadlift this challenge or next challenge.  And obviously that's more important than CrossFit  :)

Oh man, sorry about the Hashimoto's.  That really stinks.  Have you received a gazillion links to Molly Galbraith's site?  She's a super fit, awesome lady lifter with Hashimoto's.

Also, I've been all over the AIP stuff so if I can help at all I would be more than thrilled to.   (a side note: I'll have strict aip/paleo noms at the goruck :coughcomecough: )

And yes. This is why you're awesome.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Kill it Spezz, you're gonna be my inspiration for good diet this go 'round. And continue to be it for DLs of course, doesn't really need to be said.

*...does not see "Visit Texas" on Life Goal....*

*...leaves disappointed....* 

:D

That's January butthead!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

this is full of win.

:)  I'm hoping this means no more IM's that go "Is this .... what depression feels like? Why don't I want to move?"

*...does not see "Visit Texas" on Life Goal....*

*...leaves disappointed....* 

:D

haha goals are things that are challenging.  coming and torturing you = not a challenge :)

Cheers to you for taking the epic route in dealing with this!  

Oh man, sorry about the Hashimoto's.  That really stinks.  Have you received a gazillion links to Molly Galbraith's site?  She's a super fit, awesome lady lifter with Hashimoto's.

Also, I've been all over the AIP stuff so if I can help at all I would be more than thrilled to.   (a side note: I'll have strict aip/paleo noms at the goruck :coughcomecough: )

And yes. This is why you're awesome.

Thanks :) I've been kind of planning on my thyroid going bad at some point (seriously, when both of your grandmothers, your mother, 6 of your aunts and uncles and a few of your cousins have thyroid issues, its more of a "when" not "if" :)) so luckily my doctor has been doing tests for years so it wasn't so much of a surprise.

And I've started my research into the AIP thing (why my what I can eat/what I can't eat goal will be evolving) and I am sure I will be confused and have questions :)

And trying to make it happen, for the goruck.  Found out Steve has a wedding that weekend though :(

Kill it Spezz, you're gonna be my inspiration for good diet this go 'round. And continue to be it for DLs of course, doesn't really need to be said.

haha thanks :)  I feel like it's going to be a little easier since it's more medical than "I want to lose a few pounds", and when I'm really craving certain things I can blame it on the hypoglycemia and push through easier.  I think.  I hope :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I think.  I hope :)

I believe "I can" are the words you were looking for there :D

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Thanks :) I've been kind of planning on my thyroid going bad at some point (seriously, when both of your grandmothers, your mother, 6 of your aunts and uncles and a few of your cousins have thyroid issues, its more of a "when" not "if" :)) so luckily my doctor has been doing tests for years so it wasn't so much of a surprise.

And I've started my research into the AIP thing (why my what I can eat/what I can't eat goal will be evolving) and I am sure I will be confused and have questions :)

And trying to make it happen, for the goruck.  Found out Steve has a wedding that weekend though :(

haha thanks :)  I feel like it's going to be a little easier since it's more medical than "I want to lose a few pounds", and when I'm really craving certain things I can blame it on the hypoglycemia and push through easier.  I think.  I hope :)

Ha, yeah, that is definitely a good thing to know.  I recently found out there is lupus in my family. Awesome. Plus side: we'll know what to look for.

I think at one point I had 70 tabs open in my browser hahaha  so.much.research.  Have I learned much? I don't know :P  But yeah.

Yay! I hope so!  Booo weddings... pfft.  I kid, I kid.

YES. This last part is so true.  It's been a lot easier for me to say no to things at my weakest points (like when I'm starving and tired and there are muffins on the counter) knowing what affect it's really having and how I'll feel later.  Also, the depression stuff... i started noticing the changes and it's been really good.  It wasn't pretty there for a while.

Anyhow, tl;dr: word.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Wow, it looks like there will be a lot to learn, and not just for you. I'm looking forward to learning stuff, too. I'm totally fascinated with diet and how it can affect our health/health conditions and the way we feel. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out for you. Also, go on with the DL. That's quite inspiring. :)

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

Previous Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

“Decorum is highly overrated and probably causes cancer.”  ~ Jenny Lawson

I will be following your challenge and am curious as to what you learn in your studies. Like chickie monkey above, I'm fascinated with how diet can affect us emotionally and mentally as well as physically, and like you, I'm struggling to get my own diet under control. 

~ Runner 5 ~ :listening_headphone

"Zombie Response Unit: Locate ~ Decapitate ~ Incinerate"

LEVEL 3 RANGERSTR 7 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 7 | CHA 3

Twitter | Blog | Pinterest | Instagram | Fitocracy | Zombies, Run! Profile   

Also: No mindless eating.  That means no eating at my computer, or in the car, or other places.  I've found that that's when I'm most likely to have high sugar items I don't need, because I need a "quick fix".  

I'll be coming up with a list of yes and no foods as well as I research more throughout the challenge.

Spezzy,  I too have had major problems with my eating and still do.  But I found that when I force myself to eat my meals, including snacks, while sitting at the kitchen table I concentrate more on what I am eating and how I'm eating aka not mindlessly shoveling it in my mouth.  In turn it has made me think about food in a whole new level!  I have just started learning about paleo eating and am trying to incorperate it to my life, so I look forward to your food list as well.

I am really excited to read your future research and what comes of it. 

I have read that food challenges are the hardest, and logging everything is a personal problem for me, so I am pulling hard for you on this challenge.  I know you can do it!

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

There is a diet life paleoish guru in Australia with Hashimotos.  She wrote the I Quit Sugar ebook that has now become a real book in Australia and it sounds like they are pushing for it to coming out in the US.  I don't even really remember why I started following her, since I don't have it or live in Australia.

Here's a link to her Hashimoto specific posts - 

http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/tag/hashimotos/

I'll throw in with several others and say that if you make another thread about what you learn with regards to eating and the affects on your body, I would be interested in reading it. Also, for those of us who are extra curious, a link to the meta-information or the books you are checking out would be super.  =D

I've been curious about this for a bit but haven't made the time to get around to it.

Level 1 Shadowtouched Aasimar

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1.5 | CON 2.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

Challenge : Current 0   Battle Log : "Stairs are the Devil!"

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.†- The Gunslinger

How are you liking Evernote? I actually just started using it for a project I started about 2-3 weeks ago and am loving the fact that I no longer have to worry about losing my notebooks and can search against my own notes. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

How are you liking Evernote? I actually just started using it for a project I started about 2-3 weeks ago and am loving the fact that I no longer have to worry about losing my notebooks and can search against my own notes. 

The more I use it, the more I like it.  The Webclipper is great for stashing things away that I want to read later.  I sprung for the pro version, so it does offline notebooks.  Save stuff to Evernote, then sync my tablet before I get on a plane and I have lots of stuff to read.  

I'm still working on the tagging

Also, there is a email interface where you can forward docs with notebook names and tags in the subject and it will automatically file the notes for you.

Someone showed me the "Hello" addon the other day.  Take a picture of a business card and it parses the card and adds it to a contact list.  Still working on that one too.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Someone showed me the "Hello" addon the other day.  Take a picture of a business card and it parses the card and adds it to a contact list.  Still working on that one too.

My boss talks about this one. I have a pile of cards on my desk that keeps spilling on to the floor... I need to set aside some time and get them all into a notebook. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Anyone know if Evernote is pretty similar to OneNote from the Microsoft Office Suite? I have that on my work comp and can't install other stuff, curious if I should try it out.

Yup pretty similar. I have both, but dont use evernote because of work sensitive materials (remember ALL of your data is stored on their servers which can cause legal issues etc) 

• Like 2

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Similar.  Onenote is local to your computer and is accessible via Microsoft applications only (I think).  

Evernote is in the cloud and is accessible via Windows, Linux, Apple, iOS/Android applications as well as a browser.  

So if you always use the same computer, Onenote is pretty nice.  If you move around a lot, or use different devices, Evernote is better (IMO).  Me, I use at least 3 different devices everyday (sometimes all at once) with at least 3 different ways to connect.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I really like your Mom's truck...

haha i wish she still had it :)  that was in like, 1985!

Wow, it looks like there will be a lot to learn, and not just for you. I'm looking forward to learning stuff, too. I'm totally fascinated with diet and how it can affect our health/health conditions and the way we feel. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out for you. Also, go on with the DL. That's quite inspiring. :)

I will be following your challenge and am curious as to what you learn in your studies. Like chickie monkey above, I'm fascinated with how diet can affect us emotionally and mentally as well as physically, and like you, I'm struggling to get my own diet under control. 

Spezzy,  I too have had major problems with my eating and still do.  But I found that when I force myself to eat my meals, including snacks, while sitting at the kitchen table I concentrate more on what I am eating and how I'm eating aka not mindlessly shoveling it in my mouth.  In turn it has made me think about food in a whole new level!  I have just started learning about paleo eating and am trying to incorperate it to my life, so I look forward to your food list as well.

I am really excited to read your future research and what comes of it. 

I have read that food challenges are the hardest, and logging everything is a personal problem for me, so I am pulling hard for you on this challenge.  I know you can do it!

I'm really curious to learn along with you about diet and how it's affecting you.  Also, deadlifts.   :)

Thanks :) I'm super excited to learn about this stuff, and share it!

I've found that eating challenges are the hardest too - it's not a challenge to get me to go to the gym, but to eat correctly after - now that's hard!

And yeah - kitchen table all the way.  Going to be a change, but a good one :)

There is a diet life paleoish guru in Australia with Hashimotos.  She wrote the I Quit Sugar ebook that has now become a real book in Australia and it sounds like they are pushing for it to coming out in the US.  I don't even really remember why I started following her, since I don't have it or live in Australia.

Here's a link to her Hashimoto specific posts - 

http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/tag/hashimotos/

I'll have to check her out, thanks :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines