Spezzy's it all starts with food challenge!

spezzy

How are you liking Evernote? I actually just started using it for a project I started about 2-3 weeks ago and am loving the fact that I no longer have to worry about losing my notebooks and can search against my own notes. 

My biggest complaint about it so far is that it is not a paper notebook and a pen.  Seriously. 

My phone dies at the gym, and then what do I do?

The more I use it, the more I like it.  The Webclipper is great for stashing things away that I want to read later.  I sprung for the pro version, so it does offline notebooks.  Save stuff to Evernote, then sync my tablet before I get on a plane and I have lots of stuff to read.  

I'm still working on the tagging

Also, there is a email interface where you can forward docs with notebook names and tags in the subject and it will automatically file the notes for you.

Someone showed me the "Hello" addon the other day.  Take a picture of a business card and it parses the card and adds it to a contact list.  Still working on that one too.

My boss talks about this one. I have a pile of cards on my desk that keeps spilling on to the floor... I need to set aside some time and get them all into a notebook. 

I'm still working on ALL the features.  I haven't had someone give me a business card in years though.

Anyone know if Evernote is pretty similar to OneNote from the Microsoft Office Suite? I have that on my work comp and can't install other stuff, curious if I should try it out.

Yup pretty similar. I have both, but dont use evernote because of work sensitive materials (remember ALL of your data is stored on their servers which can cause legal issues etc) 

Awesome, thanks! I would have the same concern then, being HR and all.

Similar.  Onenote is local to your computer and is accessible via Microsoft applications only (I think).  

Evernote is in the cloud and is accessible via Windows, Linux, Apple, iOS/Android applications as well as a browser.  

So if you always use the same computer, Onenote is pretty nice.  If you move around a lot, or use different devices, Evernote is better (IMO).  Me, I use at least 3 different devices everyday (sometimes all at once) with at least 3 different ways to connect.

I've heard they are similar.  I'm actually kind of exploring using evernote for business for NF, since it's easy to use and Steve already uses it.  I've heard good things, at least.

Just because I can

original.gif

hahahahaha too cute.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

ok, so one thing I like about Evernote?  I log my workout on my phone, I open my computer, it's right here to copy and paste!

So!  With that, last few days of workouts:

Sunday (today)

Front squat

45x6

95x6

120x6

145x6x6

High Hang clean - focused on full extension and pulling back over up. Fatter bar, hands struggling

45x10

75x10

95x8

95x5x6

Rowing

20:06

2:21 

26 s/m

Saturday:

Bench press

45x10

75x7

95x5

115x5

135x5

145x5

155x4x3

155x3x3

155x2

Trx row - at a slight incline so I can really pull through every rep

7x7

Row

11:03

Average 2:11.2

26 s/m

Friday:

2500 m Row to warm up - 11 minutes

back squat

45x10

95x5

115x5

135x5

155x5

175x5

195x3

205x3x4

185x3

135x10x10

Hip Thrust

10 - no weight

45x10

95x10

135x10

185x10

225x10

275x7x7

Sumo Deadlift

135x7

185x7x3 (wanted to do more but was exhausted at this point and wasn't getting solid reps)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

stop being good at front squats. can't i be the good one at those ;)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I"ve been playing with hang cleans lately as part of building up to proper cleans again. I forgot to squeeze on one rep yesterday and ended up throwing the bar across the platform wiht iron plates on it. LOUD NOISES!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

i used evernote for a while.. then ditched it. something about a pen and paper...

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

stop being good at front squats. can't i be the good one at those ;)

hahaha im not even.  I've been getting better and better at elbows though, so that helps massively.  I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's sets of 5 at 155 (eep!).

I struggle way more on front squats on sets of multiple numbers than singles.

I wish I had your job!   ;)

ha! sometimes it's better to have an office to go to, and a set schedule, i swear

I"ve been playing with hang cleans lately as part of building up to proper cleans again. I forgot to squeeze on one rep yesterday and ended up throwing the bar across the platform wiht iron plates on it. LOUD NOISES!

ha! our plates are covered in rubber at least.  and have handles.  im afraid of throwing them.  must find a gym with bumper plates!

Spezzy, I can relate on the thyroid issues--I was diagnosed with Graves' disease 8 years ago. Diet makes such a huge impact--I'll be rooting for you on this challenge!

ugh. thyroids are the worst :( did you have surgery or are you on medicine all the time now?

i used evernote for a while.. then ditched it. something about a pen and paper...

yeahhhh I love the pen and paper.  

You are going to kick ass at this challenge. It has science written all over it. TO SCIENCE!!!

stand-back-science.png:)

I am also checking out evernote.  I like to do lists a lot and Astrid is no longer.  And I fully support productivity ninjitsu.  I am going to be looking into that myself.

lemme know if you find fun things to do with it.  my use for it right now is pretty basic, but for workouts and such, it seems to be doing good.

Wake up 10:20

protein shake before workout

Today's workout - 2:30-4:30PM

Strict press
45x10
70x5
85x5
100x5
105x2
110x2 - rep PR 
112.5x2x6 - rep PR 
112.5x1

Split jerk
95x5
115x5
135x5 easy
145x1
150x1
155x1
160x1
165x1
170x1
175x1 - PR
180x1 - PR
185x1 - PR
145x3
145x3
145x3
145x3
145x3
145x3

Single arm dumbbell snatch
45x10
55x10
65x10

Db push press
35x5
40x5
45x5
50x3

Row
7021m
33:06
2:21 average
31 s/m
Last 100m in 20 seconds

protein shake at about 5:30 after home from gym and some shopping.

dinner: 2 chorizo sausage, 2 eggs, onion

dessert: mixed frozen berries

more to come, still only at 1500 cals for the day!

My first thought when reading your intro was thyroid issues, I've had hypothyroidism for years but have managed to stay off of medication. I'm glad your doctor didn't jump to put you on medications--a thyroid storm would be awful to go through. You're a fighter, you'll make it through! If you come across any interesting research be sure to share it. 

My first thought when reading your intro was thyroid issues, I've had hypothyroidism for years but have managed to stay off of medication. I'm glad your doctor didn't jump to put you on medications--a thyroid storm would be awful to go through. You're a fighter, you'll make it through! If you come across any interesting research be sure to share it. 

How have you managed to stay off, diet and all of that?  

My doctor herself actually wants meds, but she's on maternity leave and the nurse agrees more with me :D.  Also, since its the beginning of hashimoto's and my needs for meds will be changing all the time (sometimes i'm 100% fine, too) so they both agree it's at least too early for meds.

Random rowing distance is random?

I started rowing, listening to the second half of a radio show I started yesterday... with 16% left on my phone battery.  I said "I'll row until my phone dies or until the show ends" thinking I had about 10-15 minutes.

At about 6700meters and like 30 minutes later, the radio show ended, so I decided to finish out 7000 meters. :)

ugh. thyroids are the worst :( did you have surgery or are you on medicine all the time now?

I actually had radiation (radioactive iodine) which obliterated most of my thyroid function.  I take synthroid every day, and that takes care of things on that end.  I do find that making sure I'm using un-iodized salt and dropping salty processed foods from my diet helps, as well as keeping shellfish to a minimum helps to keep my levels more steady.  It does run in my family--my grandmother has had 2 thyroid surgeries (like 50 years apart, so wtf?) and my mom had thyroid issues when she was pregnant with me--things I never knew until I was diagnosed in 2005.  Seriously, though, it's pretty easy to manage.

Amazon Warrior
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Druid Side Project
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--Annajanska, George Bernard Shaw

How have you managed to stay off, diet and all of that?  

My doctor herself actually wants meds, but she's on maternity leave and the nurse agrees more with me :D.  Also, since its the beginning of hashimoto's and my needs for meds will be changing all the time (sometimes i'm 100% fine, too) so they both agree it's at least too early for meds.

Yup, gluten free seemed to do the trick and paleo is even better. Very strangely my thyroid function improved when I switched to night shift. We had all thought for certain the change in circadian rhythm would cause me to have to go on it, but I am an anomaly :) 

I think I sub just for kitty pics.

kitteh pics are the best :)

I actually had radiation (radioactive iodine) which obliterated most of my thyroid function.  I take synthroid every day, and that takes care of things on that end.  I do find that making sure I'm using un-iodized salt and dropping salty processed foods from my diet helps, as well as keeping shellfish to a minimum helps to keep my levels more steady.  It does run in my family--my grandmother has had 2 thyroid surgeries (like 50 years apart, so wtf?) and my mom had thyroid issues when she was pregnant with me--things I never knew until I was diagnosed in 2005.  Seriously, though, it's pretty easy to manage.

ooo yeah, a few of my aunts/uncles had the radioactive drink.  I kind of want it to see if I'll turn into a superhero, but I think those chances are not likely, so I'm sticking without it :)

I figure out of all the diseases that could run in the family, this one is one of the best.  It's annoying, sure, but totally manageable.  :)

Yup, gluten free seemed to do the trick and paleo is even better. Very strangely my thyroid function improved when I switched to night shift. We had all thought for certain the change in circadian rhythm would cause me to have to go on it, but I am an anomaly :)

Awesome! :)  I'm pretty nocturnal all the time, my issues actually get worse when I'm up during the day.  So we'll see how this challenge works out getting up early :(

ok, wow, not a lot of time to update in the last few days. 

tuesday:

Got up around 10:30.  

went to the chiropractor for the first time in forever, I've been having a lot of issues since my car accident where I can't feel some of my fingers.

So I go, he does some adjustments and ART, I've got entrapped nerves he thinks.  Lots of treatment and lots of visits ahead.  Yay!

Got to the gym, felt completely drained, my lower back was killing me, figured it was just from the adjustment. did like 6 minutes on the treadmill and then like 5 on the rower and decided to go home.

Get home --> I've mysteriously gotten my period, 2 weeks early.  Whee!  That explains a lot.

So I ended up taking ibuprofen (totally not even close to allowed, but I need to find an alternative to it, and I haven't had cramps like I had yesterday in years, so I took it.  I may have also had some 72% dark chocolate.)

ended the day with:

total calories: 1845

Sod(mg) Fat(g) Carbs(g) Fiber(g) Prot(g) KCals 2819 105.74 125.45 26.1 111.42 1845

Today:

feeling a bit better, but still not 100%.  haven't taken ibuprofen yet, we'll see if I need ot.

Got up around 10:20.

Front squat 7x5
45x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
155x5
155x5
155x5
155x5
155x5

Hip thrust
45x10
95x10
135x8
185x7
225x7
245x6
245x6
245x6
265x6
265x6
285x6
285x6
305x6
315x6
315x6
315x6
315x6
315x6

Single arm dumbbell straight leg deadlift
35x5
30 both hands x10
50 barbellx10
No weightx10
+15lb ballx10x2
No weightx 10

superset with

Box jump 24" (jump up step down)
10x10

Row
16:16
2:18 ave pace
22s/m

Um, about feeling uncomfortable doing hip thrusts.  I don't think anyone will give you crap about it with 3 plates on each side.

Doesn't make it any less awkward of course :)

"Um, excuse me everyone? Can you just... look the other way while I hump this barbell over here?  kthx"

:)

ending nutrition for the day.  not happy with the low protein, but im not sure I can handle any more food.  higher carbs = okay since longer workout day and another one tomorrow.

total calories: 1965
Sod(mg) Fat(g) Carbs(g) Fiber(g) Prot(g) KCals 817 92.08 162.51 49.9 138.03 1965
Calorie Breakdown:

Carbohydrate (33%)

Fat (42%)

Protein (25%)
badge_C033F042P025.png

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines