fadagaski fights fat (alliteration ftw!)

Exhibit A: fadagaski poses for a photo.

post-19567-0-42640900-1374657579_thumb.j

fadagaski is probably about 45-50% bodyfat right now.

Exhibit B: fadagaski declares her main goal.

post-19567-0-08867500-1374657046_thumb.j

My First 6 Week Challenge

Mission 1: Adjust diet type to be predominantly vegetables, with some fish/seafood, fruit, nuts and a bit of dairy thrown in (I like cheese!).

I really loathe counting calories, so the best thing for me is to eat things that are naturally low in them. Also, this diet is vaguely Paleo; I'm okay with this.

• A: 100% adherence
  • B: 80% adherence
  • C: 60% adherence
  • D: 40% adherence
  • F: didn't even try

Mission 2: Do some kind of cardio activity 3x a week. 

I like running! And I can build up my endurance this way by running a little bit longer every time.

• A: 18 times
  • B: 15 times
  • C: 12 times
  • D: 9 times
  • F: 6 times or less

Mission 3: Do strength exercise 3x a week.

Eventually I'll progress to lifting heavy things, but for now BBWW 3x a week is exactly what the doctor would probably have ordered if I had bothered to see him/her.

• A: 18 times
  • B: 15 times
  • C: 12 times
  • D: 9 times
  • F: 6 times or less

Side Quest

In 6 weeks, I will be able to perform 3 x 5 bodyweight squats with good form. I will do this by practicing squats a lot, building my leg strength, and taking photos/videos to post on NF because I crave attention require the expertise of those in the know.

Life Quest

Ring my dad every week. A little bit of contact goes a long, long way.

• A: 6 phone calls
  • B: 5 phone calls
  • C: 4 phone calls
  • D: 3 phone calls
  • F: 2 phone calls

Ally: Panda Ranger Lvl 2

Challenges 1a | 2a | 1b | 2b | 3

str 6.25 | dex 2 | sta 0 | con 0 | wis 2.75 | cha 2.3

"And master the skills of bodacious and awesome!"

I love your handwritten motivation card- I know from my own experience how nasty it can be to have the idea stuck in your head that you are a certain way and nothing can change it. I think overcoming this sort of thing is even more challenging and ultmately even more rewarding than hitting a physical goal.

Just keep on telling yourself that you will be 20% body fat and not only will you still be you when you've reached your target, but you'll also be a better, more confident and stronger you for it!

Hi Fadagaski,

Just keep on telling yourself that you will be 20% body fat and not only will you still be you when you've reached your target, but you'll also be a better, more confident and stronger you for it!

I'd add: " Act as if you were already at a 20%, believe that you are already"

I read your motivation card, but I have a stupid question (sorry for asking). Why do you want to be at a 20%? How will you be feeling? What is it that you don't like in being at a 40% Body fat percentage? 

What motivates you to reach this goal?

Level 2- Panthera Assassin

CHA 4 - WIS 3 - STA 4 - STR 2 -  DEX 1 - CON 2

Why is Natarella here?

Steps to greatness

First challenge !!

Second not-so-good one ..

Third challenge

Jan 2016 challenge... long time after :)

It's the mental goal more than the physical. 20% is much more fit than where I am now. But more than that, the mental challenge of believing I can get there is what motivates me.

Sorry . I'm not explaining it very well.

It's the mental goal more than the physical. 20% is much more fit than where I am now. But more than that, the mental challenge of believing I can get there is what motivates me.

Sorry . I'm not explaining it very well.

I get it now!

We believe with you!

Level 2- Panthera Assassin

CHA 4 - WIS 3 - STA 4 - STR 2 -  DEX 1 - CON 2

Why is Natarella here?

Steps to greatness

First challenge !!

Second not-so-good one ..

Third challenge

Jan 2016 challenge... long time after :)

Those are wonderful goals Fad.  I believe that you can do it and I can't wait to hear you say that you believe it too.

Good luck with your quest xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Posting on my battle log lol. I fail at multitasking. I'll do a summary post here for the week on Sunday. But thanks for checking in with me! I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Week 1 Summary

Challenge 1: Eat primal/paleoish

I'd say I've hit 75% this week. I made a couple of really yummy meals, including paleo pancakes, stir fry courgette noodles, and cauliflower fish pancakes. I slipped big time yesterday, eating salmon mousse, 2 hobnobs and croutons.

Grade: B-

Challenge 2: Do cardio 3x this week

I've done 1 bout of cardio. I ran for 1.1km (0.6m) on a treadmill at speed 7 and climbed 140 steps on the stairmaster. I felt really good when I crested the 1k mark, as I didn't think I could run that distance yet. My heart was pounding after 8 flights on the stairmaster, and I was really surprised that I felt GOOD about that too! I guess the endorphins were blasting through me at that point, lol.

Grade: D

Challenge 3: Do strength 3x this week

I've done 1 bout of strength training. I leg-pressed 190lbs for 2 reps, which was fun. I've come to the conclusion that my flexibility is hindering my squat, rather than strength. Not being able to squat leaves me in a quandry regarding true free-weight strength training; I don't know whether it is 'acceptable' (by whose authority, I don't know) to try deadlifting or benchpressing or anything else if that one technique currently eludes me.

Grade: D

Side Quest: Squats

Blegh. That is all.

Life Quest: Call dad

Would you believe me if I said I forgot this week? Because that's the truth of it.

Grade: F

How Do I Feel?

Well, yesterday and Friday I was bummed out (mostly about my sucky squat :(), but today I've been reading lots of tips on the internet on how to improve, and I'm ready to move into Week 2 with more determination. :positive:

Yeah, inflexibility leads to imbalance leads to falling over or ass in the air. But I've been working on it and it's much better than even Friday last week. No fear!

Week 2 Summary

Challenge 1: Eat primal/paleoish

Probably 75% again. My mum is overly fond of white potatoes, so I kind of have to eat those. Today, however, I learnt that my body has healed itself from the horrors of margerine spread! How do I know this? I ate some, and I've had 5 hours of tummy ache ever since. So that's a good sign I guess? Drinking ginger tea to combat. Ugh.

Grade: B-

Challenge 2: Do cardio 3x this week

I regret setting this challenge. Going into this 6-weeker, my focus was strength training. My warm-up for any activity in the gym is a walk/jog on the treadmill. Does that count towards my cardio? I don't think so, because I'm not giving it my all - I'm barely thinking about it at all. I've been to the gym 3 times this week. I've walked the dogs as well. TL;DR, I don't know what to grade myself.

Grade: IDK

Challenge 3: Do strength 3x this week

Been to the gym three times! I've focused on squats (see below), and I'm starting to branch out to arm strength and abs. I've been really pleased with my progress - it's not astronomical, but I feel ready to go into SL5x5 next week and not get my ass handed to me.

Grade: A

Side Quest: Squats

I like goblet squats! The weight in the front forces me to keep my chest up and my butt down. Are there any rules which say I can't go straight into front squats in a beginner's weightlifting programme?

Life Quest: Call dad

I called my grandpa. I'll call my dad this evening.

Grade: F

How Do I Feel?

Despite the butter-belly-ache, I feel good about myself. Next week I need to go to the gym with a plan of attack or I'm going to get discouraged.

Why do you regret the cardio goal? Is it the cardio itself or something to do with how it's vibing with the overall goal structure you've gt going on?

Because it is not my main focus, I can't help but fail on it. Ah well. Live and learn.

At this point you have more than half the challenge left. If the cardio just is not fitting how can you adapt the goal? Make it 2x a week? Throw in sprints/a jog after strength training? Make some of it a requirement to walk? Change it to doing 100 ups as part of a strength work out?

If it's not your focus then change the goal or change your focus. There's still time, you've given it a go. If it's plain that it's not something you've just got to overcome or if it's detracting from your other goals then there's really no shame at all.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Because it is not my main focus, I can't help but fail on it. Ah well. Live and learn.

Don't think of it as failing- just it's not the right time for you to succeed at it yet.

I think one of the reasons that they've changed the challenge this time around, especially with regards to us newbies, is that they're hoping that people will learn about their own capabilities and what is and isn't feasable within the confines of the six weeks. It's all well and good writing down some goals but until you actually start on them, it's virtually impossible to really know how difficult or easy the may be to accomplish. On this occasion your cardio goal is too much of a stretch on top of your other goals but you weren't to know that until you actually attempted it. There is no dishonour in admitting that your ambitions outmatched your abilities on this occasion- it is much better to try to jump to the moon and fail rather than to never jump at all.

The important thing is that you are acknowledging that you're maybe overstretching yourself because then you can reevaluate it and work on a compromise that you can more easily manage such as UltanBoyd above has suggested. If you change your goal from 'do cardio 3 times a week' to 'go out for a walk 2 or 3 times a week' you're still getting more exercise than you were before the challenge but the constraints are looser and therefore will be more managable and easier to achieve alongside your other goals.

Most importantly, don't succumb to negativity and let yourself think of it as failing. Keep positive about it- when you discover something about yourself, even if it's not necassarily a positive thing such as that you currently are not able to achieve something, it is a good thing as you have learnt something and therefore have that little bit more self-knowledge that will help you in the future.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Some really good advice that I'll take on board. I'm definitely not feeling negative, despite how my last post read. I'll think about an appropriate adaptation. Thanks!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines