Syren's Just Keep Swimming Challenge

Syren

Mission Log

Today's Menu. Items in bold indicate anything that is not processed in my home. Foraging went really well, possibly too well.

Banana

Bourbon Ball

Yogurt Bowl = Greek style yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, pecan meal, flax seed, cherry vanilla granola, Almond milk, Coffee, Cocoa

Remaining yogurt and blueberries

Fajita Bowl = Peppers, Onions, Salsa, Minute Brown Rice, Chicken, Tofu, Acia berry green tea

Bourbon Caramel

Banana

Collard Bowl = brown rice, collards, bacon, black eyed peas, pinot noir

I stuck to what I wanted to physically accomplish today! 

Sleep calculated out to be 8.5 hours, but it was very broken up.  Felt pretty awake throughout the whole day.

As for strength, I accomplished almost everything except for the push ups. Even the kneeling variety was intense  For rows however, I need to find something heavier.

For anyone interested in my swim workout:

Initially was going to try an hour distance swim today, but my ipod died, so I switched it up a bit.

350 Freestyle Swim Warm up

550 Freestyle Swim

100 IM

200 IM

300 IM

400 IM

2*200 Freestyle drill, shark fin and finger tip drag

200 Freestyle swim

150 Freestyle Easy Cool down

Total 2650

Tomorrow is recovery day, so an easy swim session after work, but no chasing pigs  :onthego: 

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

I giggle every time I come to check up on your thread because I read "The rabbits are coming!"  :D

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

You swim with your ipod?

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Swimming away from zombies! Genius! I've always been a little disappointed at how infrequently water as a possible zombie-barrier is brought up in zombie fiction.

Also, I have to say that your menu is making me hungry. That fajita bowl sounds delicious, and I'd never considered the possibility of bourbon caramel before, but now I see what an oversight that was. I mean, bourban and caramel. Together. Whoever thought of that is brilliant.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

You swim with your ipod?

On long distance days when I don't stop swimming. I bought a waterproof case for it a while back and it still works great. The tricky part is finding a place to put the bulky contraption since the arm band is too small and makes swimming awkward. Right now I set it through my back straps and deal with a little drag.

Swimming away from zombies! Genius! I've always been a little disappointed at how infrequently water as a possible zombie-barrier is brought up in zombie fiction.

Also, I have to say that your menu is making me hungry. That fajita bowl sounds delicious, and I'd never considered the possibility of bourbon caramel before, but now I see what an oversight that was. I mean, bourban and caramel. Together. Whoever thought of that is brilliant.

Vacation led me to the Kentucky Bourbon Trail and at the Woodford Reserve Distillery, we found these little gems. Woodford makes terrible bourbon balls at their facility, but whoever makes their caramels, is a genius candy maker. So if you ever happen to be in Kentucky, definitely scope out one the candy shops or bourbon distilleries if you are not completely against the occasional sweet treat. (I got my bourbon balls from the Maker's Mark distillery). 

I giggle every time I come to check up on your thread because I read "The rabbits are coming!"   :D

We should tie this in with 18ck, since he will be battling a wrascally wabbit soon enough :D

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

"And swim through your veins like a fish in the sea

"I'm singing, 

"Follow me and it will be all right ..."

300 Swim

200 Kick

100 Pull

100 Swim

200 Kick

300 Pull

4*4*50 Pull, Kick, Drill, Swim IM order

4*50 Hypoxic Swim,

1) breathe every 3rd stroke

2) breathe every 5th stroke

3) breathe every 7th stroke

4) breathe every 9th stroke 7th Stroke

50 Freestyle easy

Total 2250

No idea why Uncle Kracker popped into my head, but it seemed fitting.

Menu

Breakfast: egg, butter, Greek style yogurt (homemade), strawberries, blueberries, flax seed, the last of the cherry vanilla granolacoffee, almond milk, cocoa

Snacks: banana, sugar crusted "honey" almonds (found them in my pantry...one of those, I have them so I will eat them), banana

Lunch: Panera chicken salad sandwich, Caesar salad, french roll, and acai berry green tea (I so miss bread... re-evaluating the necessity of nixing it from my diet).

Dinner: Collard bowl (there's lots), pinot noir 

No strength training today. My chest muscles are killing me. Everything else is great. On to Level 2 for the rest then tomorrow, except for rows. I think I need to find something heavier and it will be much more challenging.  All I need to do is try not to die with the push ups.

The wascally wabbids were making too much noise to sleep properly. Too much excitement as the sun went down. So I only managed to get maybe 6.5 hours of sleep. Still able to function mostly awake. Tuesdays and Thursdays are a weird schedule 3am - whenever. Blame my weird work schedule... which reminds me, time to apartment search...ish.

... which reminds me, time to apartment search...ish.

There's one available on Barrier Island ;^)

Seriously, Great thread and fanatic story!

I'd 10km swim in two hours is over reaching for this challenge, then that just fits in nicely with the new challenge structure of having a longer term goal with shorter goals along the way, we'll done! Now go get those zombies. .. and piggies. .. and wabbits... zombie wabbit eating pigs? No wait, zombie pig eating Wabbits!

Daily Swim Workout

500 Freestyle Swim

4*300 IM order

1st 100 kick

2nd 100 pull

3rd 100 drill

400 IM Swim

300 IM Swim

50 easy cool down

Total 2750

Menu

Breakfast: Greek style yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, flax seeds, pecan meal

Snacks: banana

Lunch: quiche: eggs, goat cheese, red peppers, onions, butter

Dinner: fajita bowl with leftover white ricetofu, chicken, bell peppers, onions, salsared wine

Way too much sleep today. Fell asleep around 8:30 pm last night.  Woke up at 5:45 am and decided I did not want to get up, so slept for another hour. Roughly 10 hours of sleep! Holy crap!  Hopefully I can get to sleep tonight.

Chased some pigs and threw a few birds around this morning. It was a struggle to get going, my chest muscles were still singing a sweet song of agony. I get the feeling that tomorrow everything else will be in the same state.

We should tie this in with 18ck, since he will be battling a wrascally wabbit soon enough :D

Agreed.  See this 18ck?  See it??!!  Good.

The wascally wabbids were making too much noise to sleep properly. Too much excitement as the sun went down. So I only managed to get maybe 6.5 hours of sleep. Still able to function mostly awake. Tuesdays and Thursdays are a weird schedule 3am - whenever. Blame my weird work schedule... which reminds me, time to apartment search...ish.

bwahahahaha

I really need to incorporate some bird throwing into my rotation.

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

The thunder rolls... thus the pools do close.

No swimming today. Tomorrow sprints, Saturday distance!

I suppose that it is good to have a rest day on occasion. I may need some extra help getting motivated tomorrow.

Menu

Breakfast: Greek style yogurt, blueberries, pecan meal, walnuts, almond meal, flax seed, guacamole, egg, cherry tomatoes

Snack: "honey" almonds, chocolate chips

Lunch: Panera... I thought I really wanted their macaroni and cheese.  It is not as good as it used to be. Hibiscus tea was still good :D

Dinner: Moe's BBQ. I think I may have had enough meat to last me to the end of the year.

Ooh...eggs and guac sounds good.

It's been stormy here for days and no prospect of improvement.  Good thing I don't have a swimming goal.  Hope your weather improves soon.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Ooh...eggs and guac sounds good.

It's been stormy here for days and no prospect of improvement.  Good thing I don't have a swimming goal.  Hope your weather improves soon.

The timing was just poor today. Will head out mostly bright and early before the afternoon rain comes. It's like clockwork here in the summer.

Now I want to see a zombie movie set mainly in watery environment. Though I've always lived in the belief that zombies can't swim, but I guess they can walk at the bottom and grab your ankle if the water's low enough?

I kinda envy your swimming skills. Makes me want to hop into a pool again - swimming used to be one of the few sports that I was miraculously decent at, despite not practicing ever.

By the way, I love how so many people have sleeping goals. It should be the one of the simplest things in life, yet it's so hard. :D

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Now I want to see a zombie movie set mainly in watery environment. Though I've always lived in the belief that zombies can't swim, but I guess they can walk at the bottom and grab your ankle if the water's low enough?

That is a good point. A good, terrifying point.

That is a good point. A good, terrifying point.

The pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean do a water walk and are of the un-dead persuasion ;)

Thanks Polaris, but I'm no great shakes, I'm soooo slow. Especially on days like today where I do sprints... my god, I hate sprint training.

Sprints, Why Did it Have to be Sprints?

300 Freestyle Warm Up

100 Freestyle Kick

100 Freestyle Pull

4*5*25 Sprint, IM Order Rotate extra 25, rest 0:00:10 between reps, 0:00:15 between sets

100 Kick choice easy

5*50 Sprint Butterfly, rest 0:00:15 between reps

5*50 Sprint Backstroke, rest 0:00:15 between reps

50 Kick choice easy

3*50 Sprint Breaststroke, rest 0:00:15 between reps

100 Freestyle cool down easy

Total 1900

Menu

Breakfast: Greek style yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, almond meal, pecan meal, walnuts, flax seeds

Lunch: chick-fli-a tasting the evil

Dinner: O'Charlies being lazy, coconut cream pie

Managed about 8 hours of sleep. Less zombie commotion last night. Made it past level 1 finally in all of my tossing of birds and chasing of pigs. But that little speck of land isn't looking any closer with this sprint set today. Also, butterfly sucks when you have more than 2 sprint reps. However, bonus my 50 butterfly was under 60 seconds repeatedly. So yay!

This one was pinned down by some rabids last night and did not make the mission log post before falling asleep to guttural snarls and growls. Even so, yesterday was pretty much failure to launch. I don't feel guilty, but I don't feel well either after the past couple of days of eating out. I have lots of leftovers, but I really want a nice fresh salad full of broccoli. I'm not sure why I crave broccoli after eating a lot of junk, but its always broccoli. When I was out sciencing on the fishing boats for weeks at a time, I would dream of broccoli. It is really weird. So, broccoli is on the grocery list, and also on the "plant this soon" list.

Not too much to report from Saturday, since I usually take the weekends to relax and recover. I thought about chasing pigs this morning, and if I get bored, I will do some strength training and maybe go for a swim, but it is not a 100% priority like it is during the week. I should probably re-evaluate this opinion since I have eaten like crap for the past couple of days. I will look into this for future challenges. 

*Returns to listening to the Pink Floyd station on Pandora.*

And for your viewing pleasure, the current state of my window garden:

969243_10151504621492714_658843232_n.jpg

(Back, on window sill) Strawberries, Oregano, Cilantro, Sweet Basil, Thyme, Green Onion, (back row) Dwarf Orange Tree, Blackberry bush, blueberry bush, black Cherokee cherry tomatoes, (middle row) Black basil, celery, sugar snap peas, black beans, garbanzo beans, cow peas, bell peppers, (front row) carrots, aloe, radish, beet, kale, mescalin lettuce, romaine lettuce.

We don't get quite enough light for the fruiting plants, unfortunately, but they've had some hopeful blooms throughout the year. The herbs, roots, and legumes were all planted two weeks ago, and I have some hopes that they will produce a little something given they are more shade tolerant.

We planted broccoli in our garden, but it was kind of a disappointment.  The plant got huge, but the "crowns" were tiny and quickly turn to flower, so it's difficult to get a serving.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

We planted broccoli in our garden, but it was kind of a disappointment.  The plant got huge, but the "crowns" were tiny and quickly turn to flower, so it's difficult to get a serving.

I would be absolutely happy to eat the greens and stalks. I just need lots more space for it. I would love to be able to consider obtaining an apartment or other rentable domicile with a spit of land with plenty of sunlight for growing things. Oh well, I will stick to kale and pole beans for now :D

Rest for the wicked: 8 hours of sleep and no workout today.

Not too lazy though, I got my car cleaned out for the most part, my menu planned for the week, and a new batch of yogurt brewing.

Menu:

Breakfast: Coffee, almond milk, cinnamon raisin bagel, creamy cheese

Lunch: Leftovers 

Dinner: beer! leftovers

ah another 100% processed day.

Woot! Level 2!!

Also butterfly....I can't even go 3m..let alone 50!  Grats on the sub sixty!

Eat

Breakfast: yogurt bowl -- Greek style yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, pecan meal, almond meal, flax seeds, almond vanilla granola, banana, walnuts, coffee, almond milk, cinnamon, cocoa, chicken biscuit

Lunch: field greens, strawberries, Gorgonzola cheese, balsamic vinaigrette, candied pecans, acai berry green tea, veggie chips, chocolate chip cookie

Dinner: pizza, beer

Sleep -- 5 hours. Woo! Zombies being startling and such an hour before the required rise and shine, is a a pain in the brain pan. Still haz the brainz, just very tired.

Workout:

No bird throwing and pig chasing today. I'm saving that for tomorrow.

Swim Drill Day!

300 choice swim

200 choice kick

100 choice pull

100 choice swim

200 choice kick

300 choice pull

4*3*75 drill, kick, swim IM rotation

50 easy cool down

total 2150

Note to self: I knew I should not eat a lot before a swim. I even knew that I should definitely not eat dairy before working out, but I did anyway, because I was hungry, and it was delicious... just oh so painful throughout the workout.

Now it is time for sleep.

Because I seem to lack self control, I am not allowed to buy anything sweet in bulk unless it is fresh fruit. 

Took a rest day since I have not been sleeping great and the swimming performance is useless (plus I felt dead on my feet after work and lab meetings). Thinking of doing a double session tomorrow since I don't have to work, maybe swim with the Master's Team a bit. Oh, and definitely thinking of finding a way to mesh the Angry Birds Workout into my swim workout. The swim teams have been performing a little "surf and turf" this week which is inspiring to the point of: "I can do a push up better than that." 

Food!

Classic yogurt bowl for breakfast. Let the new batch of yogurt drain too much, so it is more like yogurt cheese than Greek style. Still delicious, just a cream cheese consistency. 

Leftover pizza for lunch

Leftover BBQ and baked potato for dinner. Mmmm BBQ potato. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines