Phoenix Burning goes HALF crazy

Everstorm

I am finally starting on my epic quest to conquer the 21K (aka, the Half-Marathon)!!!  This is the longest race I have attempted to date, with the closest race a 15K and my longest previous training run about an 18K with lots of walking five months ago.  I have already registered for Walt Disney World's Wine and Dine Half Marathon on November 9.  Sooo....I have 16 (and a half) weeks to complete my training and the 21K.

My primary objective is to have a fun race (hence, Disney) and "finish in the upright position" as Coach Galloway puts it.  I have a secret secondary time goal of finishing in under 2:30, an 11:24 min/mile pace that would be challenging, but should be possible according to my finish times in previous pre-injury races (10:04 min/mile for 5K, 10:56 min/mile for 10K).  We'll see if that's realistic as I get closer to D-Day (or if I even care about pacing).  Hopefully, all the weight I've lost in the past 6 months will serve me well in this.

Now, to break down my main goal as it applies to this 6-week challenge:

1.  Go the distance.

I need to add a LOT more distance to my weekend long run.  I currently run 4 miles; my goal is to run an 8-mile long run by the end of the challenge.  I will increase my mileage thusly:

• 5 miles this weekend (technically pre-challenge)
  • 6 miles next weekend
  • 3 miles (with Magic Mile "MM"; see #2 Know thyself)
  • 6.5 miles  Recover from ankle strain
  • 4 miles w/MM
  • 8 miles  6.5 miles
  • 4 miles w/MM
  • 8 miles (technically post- or between-challenges)

*note that these are the weekend long-run miles, not my total weekly miles

2.  Know thyself.

I need to assess if my super-secret time goal is realistic for me and adjust accordingly.  I don't mind pushing a little, but I want to enjoy this race, not suffer through it.  Therefore, I will perform 3 2 time trials called the "Magic Mile" and use the resulting data to predict my race pace for the Half.  The idea of the Magic Mile is pretty simple:  after a mile or so warm-up jog, run one mile as fast as I can sustain for that distance (so not quite a sprint, but should feel I couldn't go much more at that pace at the end of the mile).  Recover.  Then finish out the rest of the mileage for that day (see weekend mileage chart above).  The average of three such time trials is entered into the calculator linked above to estimate my pacing.  It has been amazingly accurate so far.

3.  Feed the need (and no more).

Last racing season, I gained a bunch of weight feeling I had "earned" treats and extra food with my long runs.  I want to be much more careful not to lose what I have gained (or more accurately, re-gain what I have lost) in terms of dietary self-control while running took a backseat in the off-season.  I will *groan* keep a diet/exercise journal.  :nightmare: I have a real aversion to journaling (ignorance is bliss, after all), but I feel it has become necessary.  Going grain-free has done amazing things for my figure, but has made me pretty vulnerable to wild mood swings which lead to unhealthy binges.  Case in point:  yesterday, the thought of NOT eating a hot dog with the bun brought me to tears.  Seriously.  :hopelessness:  I'm afraid the demands of long-distance training will only add more chaos and cravings into the mix. 

The point of the journal is to

• force myself to look at what I'm eating (in the past I have exercised selective amnesia in this area)
  • assess the minimal amount of refueling I need to support my run program and keep to that amount
  • assess the source/pattern of the wild mood swings and attempt to balance without eating an entire bakery

All this assessing is obviously rather subjective, so the grade will simply be for actually making accurate (not estimated) daily entries of diet, exercise, and mood swings.  I hope to maintain my previous goals of eating mostly grain and sugar free (especially wheat!), but will not be grading on it this challenge since it will be kind of experimental.  Not sure if I'm using this as an excuse to be more lenient...hmm.  May have to do some self-assessment on that one.  Lots of assessing this challenge!

Life Goal:

I want to be more disciplined about my housekeeping.  This challenge, I will clean my bathroom every day (except Sunday)  before logging on to NF *gasp!*  That'll teach me!

Side Goal:

Continue to pursue the Convict Conditioning levels 2-4.  That's 2 bodyweight workouts per week.

That's enough from me for now.  More to come later (pictures, measurements, etc)

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Sounds like a solid, chunky plan. Go for it, fellow halfer!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

another Half-er!!!

yay!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Great set of goals, good structure and inter related makes it easier to follow. Good thinking there.

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Sounds like a solid, chunky plan. Go for it, fellow halfer!

Thanks!

another Half-er!!!

yay!!!

Yay!!!  Any advice you could sling my way would be most welcome.

Great set of goals, good structure and inter related makes it easier to follow. Good thinking there.

Thanks!  We'll see how it pans out.

The "miracle mile": very impressive. I'm trying to track my food this time, too.   Good luck!

We'll see how "impressive" it is when I actually have to run one, lol!  Thanks!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

My advice, which I am hoping to follow myself, is to actually do all the runs on the training calendar. My full did not have to be as hard as it was, but because I didn't get the weekly mileage in it was rough. We owe it to ourselves to train properly :)

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

My advice, which I am hoping to follow myself, is to actually do all the runs on the training calendar. My full did not have to be as hard as it was, but because I didn't get the weekly mileage in it was rough. We owe it to ourselves to train properly :)

Good point!  I'm pretty good at not skipping runs, but I'm nervous about the long runs.  I haven't been able to go pain free above 6 miles since last October.  Hopefully, all the low mileage and cross training I've been doing the past 4-5 months will have paid off.  (I haven't irritated my knee at all in that time, but haven't attempted threshhold distances, either.)  Fingers crossed!

One of my college friends is doing the Wine and Dine at Disney too, it sounds like fun!  Definitely good to have a plan to work on the mileage which is one of my goals too.

I hope it will be!  And, um, yeah, I've seen your mileage plan.  Wow.  Just...wow.

Yeah I'm so excited for your challenge!

Me too!  Have you posted yours yet?  I don't remember reading it.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

My bathroom is sparkly clean as I write this, so far, so good!  (Life goal)

I kept a diet journal yesterday.  It got a little "ish" on the times, since I would forget to enter for a couple hours after I ate, but I entered everything I ate, I'm sure.

Ran a short tempo run this morning aiming at HM race pace and succeeded with 6 seconds to spare.  Was kind of surprised when late in the run my Garmin was still telling me to slow down.  This is a good thing!  (Although obviously my performance at 30 minutes is not very comparable to what it would be at 2 hours and 30 minutes.)  Still, I'm quite pleased.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Me too!  Have you posted yours yet?  I don't remember reading it.

Just added :)  Ooooh whats this - another scout joining in the halfy brigade! 

Im in total awe of the bathroom goal - I really like that - no NF unless bathroom clean, best motivation ever!  

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

Want to come clean my bathroom?

Love your goals. As always, on point. Looking forward to watching your awesomeness ! Also excited that we are both training for our half marathons:)

Nope!  I hate cleaning bathrooms.  Hence the dire threat of "No NF until it's done".  My bathroom was clean by 7am this morning, I can tell you!

Just added :)  Ooooh whats this - another scout joining in the halfy brigade! 

Im in total awe of the bathroom goal - I really like that - no NF unless bathroom clean, best motivation ever!  

So many halfers this challenge!  It makes it fun that so many of us are training for the same goal.  Should make for a good challenge.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Hi there! Great goals... the bathroom goal is so good. 

I got a kick out of the hotdog comment. There's nothing paleo to replace a hotdog in an actual white bread bun, is there?

Hi!  No, there isn't.  Nor should there be for something so nutritionally void.  MOST of the time I have no problem avoiding such things, but every now and then, I have a very strong, irrational, emotional drive to eat wheat.  It usually lasts 2-3 days, then I'm back on track.  I'm looking for a way to head this destructive pattern off at the pass.

Nice motivational quote :)

Thanks!  Took me a while to figure out how to phrase it, but this version really resonated with me.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Clean bathroom, journal done (for yesterday), Convict Conditioning done:

Flat knee raises (L.2, progression): 3x35  Level up!

Knee pushups (L.3, intermediate): 2x15  Level up!

Finding myself in the weird position that I can't find anything to eat that I would be proud to write in my journal.  So I haven't eaten anything since I got up 3 hours ago.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

The thing about RunDisney is they aren't normal races. When my friend did the princess she ended up with really sore calves even though she had already completed several halves. So A) Disney is flat except for the part where you have to run up the highway exit ramps, which is really steep and slanted, some hill training is necessary B) there are some 20,000 other people running the race, unless your corral placement is spot on for your pace the first couple of miles will be a lot of walking and weaving around people C) there are characters to take pictures with every mile, depending on your obsession level with Disney you can throw your time goal out the window now D) stopping to take pictures is nothing like training, much more like 1 mile sprints with 10 minutes of standing. Disney is more comparable to a color run than an actual 5k.

Now with Wine and Dine you run then eat, people I know who have done it said a nice slow pace has allowed them to enjoy the after party food, people who run for time think most of the food will make them puke. Also, I fully encourage costume wearing, lots more random strangers cheer for you when you are in a costume, which makes the miles a lot more fun.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Hey fellow halfer ! 

I'm amazed by your life goal - very clever and very impressive !

Overall great goals !

I realize we are both at a similar level pace-wise - that's a great incentive ! I don't have a time goal but under 2.30 would be nice - let's see how we do ! ;)

Will be following of course ... :) 

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

The thing about RunDisney is they aren't normal races. When my friend did the princess she ended up with really sore calves even though she had already completed several halves. So A) Disney is flat except for the part where you have to run up the highway exit ramps, which is really steep and slanted, some hill training is necessary B) there are some 20,000 other people running the race, unless your corral placement is spot on for your pace the first couple of miles will be a lot of walking and weaving around people C) there are characters to take pictures with every mile, depending on your obsession level with Disney you can throw your time goal out the window now D) stopping to take pictures is nothing like training, much more like 1 mile sprints with 10 minutes of standing. Disney is more comparable to a color run than an actual 5k.

Now with Wine and Dine you run then eat, people I know who have done it said a nice slow pace has allowed them to enjoy the after party food, people who run for time think most of the food will make them puke. Also, I fully encourage costume wearing, lots more random strangers cheer for you when you are in a costume, which makes the miles a lot more fun.

Wow!  Thanks for the inside tips on Disney.  I had figured on it being pretty flat, having been there a few times on non-running adventures, but didn't take off-ramps into account.  Sounds like it will be a bit like the 15K I ran...about 16,000 people and flat except for 2 bridges, the last one referred to as "the green monster" is a HUGE bridge in the last mile.  Of course, we didn't have character photos for that one though!  I'm aiming at a run/walk, so weaving doesn't bother me.  Remains to be seen how obsessive I will be about pictures v. goal time.  I think that's one I'll have to call when I get there.  That's partly why the time is a secondary goal.

And I already have my Mulan costume in the works!  Was inspired to wear something fun after getting a few laughs in my last race.  I thought, why not spread the joy myself?  Disney is the perfect place to not feel like a dork doing so.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines