The Training Yard: Where Warriors Get Some Learnin'

A lot of times being honest with yourself works too. For example when I'm setting up for a big pull or squat I don't become a RAWR BEAST MODE!!! douche. Instead I admit to myself that, yes its heavy, yes its going to be hard, but yes I'm still going to make the rep.

Admission is a good one. I prefer to lie to myself. I don't get all mad and angry either, I just tell myself "Light as a feather, it's only x amount of weight" 

Where X is some light weight depending on the lift (225 for squats, 385 for deadlifts, 185 for bench). It works surprisingly well to trick yourself. Just don't look at the plates on the bar as that will ruin the illusion. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I do the "Light weight! Light weight! Peanuts!" Trick too. I also tell myself "This is only 5 lb heavier than last week, and you owned that!"

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Anyone know of a good source for (I wish you the best, I think it might be impossible) a registered diabetic nutrition counselor who also specializes in "The Warriors Way" I am unsure of how to balance a calorie deficit, a (to me) ridiculous amount of protein intake all while maintaining a safe blood sugar level (since everything but fat turns into sugar at some point).

A lot of times being honest with yourself works too. For example when I'm setting up for a big pull or squat I don't become a RAWR BEAST MODE!!! douche. Instead I admit to myself that, yes its heavy, yes its going to be hard, but yes I'm still going to make the rep.

I do that; afterwards I still flip the weight off and shout (in my head) "fuck you weight I can lift that". But with my headphones in it just looks like I'm grooving and lip singing. 

Human Warrior

Anyone know of a good source for (I wish you the best, I think it might be impossible) a registered diabetic nutrition counselor who also specializes in "The Warriors Way" I am unsure of how to balance a calorie deficit, a (to me) ridiculous amount of protein intake all while maintaining a safe blood sugar level (since everything but fat turns into sugar at some point).

Protein doesn't turn to sugar...

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You mean sugar. And it can, through gluconeogenesis. Though it takes a shit ton of protein to kick it off. 

That's what i said. And I guess you learn something new every day.

500 / 330 / 625

That's what i said. And I guess you learn something new every day.

ninja edit...

But yeah, the only reason I know about it is because it's a common thing with a keto diet. If you rely too heavily on protein instead of upping your fat intake, you end up taking yourself above the allotted glucose levels because of the breakdown of excess protein. 

Dwarven Warrior

What's Seth Doing Nowadays?

Sometimes I lift it. Sometimes It Lifts Me.

Glucogenesis is also the reason why keto diets and fasting can even work.  The brain and parts of the CNS cannot function without glucose... therefore your body turns protein into that small amount that is needed so that you don't just end up dieing if you don't take in any carbs that day.  The brain becoming more adapted to running on ketones reduces the amount needed, but it is never completely eliminated.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Thank you Seth I will look into this! (And that was much faster than I thought!)

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index has a lot on various aspects of low carb bodybuilding, including this gluconeogenesis thing.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index has a lot on various aspects of low carb bodybuilding, including this gluconeogenesis thing.

Hah Erick, I love ketogains but didn't want to send him to reddit when he asked for a reputable source of information :/

That said, those guys are awesome. DarthLuigi is an amazingly knowledgeable resource and has been in a constant state of keto for like 4 years now while still keeping on a good amount of muscle weight. 

Dwarven Warrior

What's Seth Doing Nowadays?

Sometimes I lift it. Sometimes It Lifts Me.

thanks to everyone who chimed in :)

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

Hey guys,

Question here. I just joined the challenge. It has been over a year since I last did any lifting (currently feeling more like puny girl than warrior-but all in good time, lol). When I lifted in the past I never much messed with any supplements other than for energy and protein powders. I was wondering how useful creatine would be for women and if so-amounts? Been reading the warrior threads- you guys are simply awesome!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

If you are just getting back into lifting, honestly, I'd stay away from any supplements, really no need. If you are set on taking it, It should work just fine for women, drink plenty of water and take 3-5g a day. 

Thank you. Not set on taking it. As I said, never really messed with supplements before. Someone gave me a big container and I wondered if it would be of any benefit.

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Thank you. Not set on taking it. As I said, never really messed with supplements before. Someone gave me a big container and I wondered if it would be of any benefit.

Some people have success, some do not. It isn't for everyone. In my experience it helps me squeak out a few extra reps here and there. Is it Creatine Monohydrate or some of that other stuff with extra garbage in it? If you already own it and you aren't wasting your money then I suppose it won't hurt to try, just drink lots and lots of water. 

I and a few other warriors have used it at times. Basically, like was said, it helps get a few more reps by boosting the natural mechanisms that feed the muscles energy by saturating the muscles with creatine, creating higher levels than they normally have. That said, it isn't needed for beginners and something you should only consider once you're through the novice stages. Later on, maybe. It is probably the most researched supplement and to my knowledge there are no serious negative effects from moderate usage.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

500 / 330 / 625

Some people have success, some do not. It isn't for everyone. In my experience it helps me squeak out a few extra reps here and there. Is it Creatine Monohydrate or some of that other stuff with extra garbage in it? If you already own it and you aren't wasting your money then I suppose it won't hurt to try, just drink lots and lots of water. 

Says it's Creatine Monohydrate, but does contain other stuff like artificial flavoring and some other stuff.

I and a few other warriors have used it at times. Basically, like was said, it helps get a few more reps by boosting the natural mechanisms that feed the muscles energy by saturating the muscles with creatine, creating higher levels than they normally have. That said, it isn't needed for beginners and something you should only consider once you're through the novice stages. Later on, maybe. It is probably the most researched supplement and to my knowledge there are no serious negative effects from moderate usage.

Thanks for the info guys. Don't guess it's something I will mess with right now. At least I didn't buy it- though wowser, the container is huge! Wonder if it would make my grass look any greener? :playful:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Thanks for the info guys. Don't guess it's something I will mess with right now. At least I didn't buy it- though wowser, the container is huge! Wonder if it would make my grass look any greener? :playful:

Sugar does.... :D 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Sugar does.... :D

Hah! Now there's a thought. I seriously need to go to bed. :numbness:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines