The Training Yard: Where Warriors Get Some Learnin'

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/09/3-press-fixes/

Above is a good article on common form issues and fixes. Below is the video from said article and is one of my favorites for OHP. That might just be due to my man crush in Justin though.

Another one is to search "Rippetoe press" on YouTube. He has good videos. "Rippetoe _______" gets you good form videos for most common barbell lifts.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

You may not wanna get that much of your protein from whey. It doesn't absorb as well as from natural sources. I'm a big fan of getting it from skim milk whenever I have the calories left. I used to do whole milk, but the caloric intake was a bit much and I got fat.

6g per egg, XL ones are 7g I think.

Abt protein not being absorbed from supplementary sources..can you please provide some sources for this? Because if it's true then I need a major rhaul here. I get most of my protein (75% +) from supplements

Anyone know of a good source for (I wish you the best, I think it might be impossible) a registered diabetic nutrition counselor who also specializes in "The Warriors Way" I am unsure of how to balance a calorie deficit, a (to me) ridiculous amount of protein intake all while maintaining a safe blood sugar level (since everything but fat turns into sugar at some point).

In addition to what the others have said, if you're looking for a professional to chat with you can try Paleo Physicians Network.  It's hit or miss in terms of whether or not you'll find someone in your area with that specialty, but definitely worth looking into.

So I'm just getting started with OHP.  anyone have any tips/advice?  Specifically looking for help on form...I think I'm doing it right (read about them, watched some videos, etc), but any help would be appreciated!

Swoletroll linked me to this a while back and it was immensely helpful. I've shared it with others who've also done well.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I'm wondering if anyone has any stories they want to share about biffing it in the gym and why they are glad they pushed themselves into it?

One of the challenges I face in the gym is knowing how much to push myself in this sport I have no experience with. Soccer, running, biking, hiking I know where I stand. Lifting I leave a lot on the table and I'd like to just leave a little. Part of the challenge is definitely fear of "making noise." Sunday was the fist time I dropped a dead lift outside my coworker's home gym (and he had to shout at me). Progress perhaps, but it only happened because I realized I was wasting my back lowering the bar gingerly to the floor. All other exercises I bail when they get hard.  <--- I"m not sure how much of that is ok, and how much is me wimping out. Or when all that "life experience" shit is going to kick in and be useful. 

Lets assume the following:

- I won't let my form go to shit

- I can tell good pain from bad pain

- In principle I'm willing to push myself

- The limits of pushing oneself are mostly mental

- I'm still terrified to ask for a spotter - yeah, I know

Inspiration?

Human Warrior

I always struggled to ask for a spot until I realized most people were more than happy to help for 10 seconds between sets. Plus, you are a lady, so they'll be even more happy to.

As for how far to push, form will slip a little on the heaviest sets, you just need to catch it and learn what is acceptable and what isn't and how to recover. That comes with time. As long as form is mostly there, push to complete the rep if it's at all possible to do it.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Part of the challenge is definitely fear of "making noise." Sunday was the fist time I dropped a dead lift outside my coworker's home gym (and he had to shout at me).

I'm the same way. Just today was the first time I dropped the bar after deadlifts - and it wasn't even that heavy. But it was one of those things where after I was "given permission" to do so by my trainer, it was okay and I got used to it. Now if I could just get used to the feeling of bouncing barbells...

Class: Warrior (Lvl 2); Ranger (Lvl 1) || Stats: STR - 4 | DEX - 2 | STA - 2 | CON - 3 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Challenges: 3, 2, 1

Part of the challenge is definitely fear of "making noise." Sunday was the fist time I dropped a dead lift outside my coworker's home gym (and he had to shout at me). Progress perhaps, but it only happened because I realized I was wasting my back lowering the bar gingerly to the floor. All other exercises I bail when they get hard.  <--- I"m not sure how much of that is ok, and how much is me wimping out. Or when all that "life experience" shit is going to kick in and be useful. 

Oh yeah. This is a major one for me, as I lift in my spare bedroom. In a 5th-floor condo. At 6:00 in the morning. Even just putting plates on the bar seems excessively loud.

Eth - Level 8 Breton Warrior

STR 24.5 | DEX 9 | STA 20.5 | CON 13 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: The Warrior Within | Fitocracy

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Let's stay useful, you know what she meant. So why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?

500 / 330 / 625

What exactly consists of biffing it? I keep going back and forth between the actual definition and acting like Biff from Back To The Future...

Where I come from biff isn't necessarily someone's name. 

Let's stay useful, you know what she meant. So why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?

Jesus man you are harsh. 

I really don't. I have never heard someone use this word before, I literally googled it.

Sorry, I guess it must be a Northwest term. 

Biff = fail/crash/fall/sink/tumble FOR NO REASON. Similar to being snipered. 

You can biff it off your bicycle, horse, a log, down a gully. 

In this case I mean not making the rep because you are tired or the weight's too heavy. Now that I have thought about it, I don't think I used it correctly above. 

My question is about people's experiences pushing themselves as close to failure as they can get without actually hurting themselves. 

Human Warrior

Ahhh, okay that makes sense. Let's see, I've done this quite a few times. 

Every time I approach 95%+ on bench, I get a spotter. 2/3 of the time I hit the lift, but every once in a while I've left the bar on my chest. Just like at the SSS. It happens. 

Every once in a while, after a high volume day, I'll miss a rep that I think I should hit and get stuck with the bar sitting on my chest. 

Sometimes someone helps  you up, sometimes you have to roll of shame. Each time, you learn something. You learn your breaking point and you learn the feeling that means "I should not attempt this rep".

If you're keeping up with  my thread, you'll see that I biff'ed pretty hard on heavy squats last week at some point. I had a bad spot and had to toss 375# over my head because it was my first time squatting outside of safety arms. There was one of those split seconds where I was down in the hole, realizing that I may get tattoo'ed to the floor. I had to fight or flight the bar off my shoulders and on to the ground forward because there was someone standing behind me who could possibly die if I let the bar drop backwards.

What'd I learn? I learned my gym 1RM, I learned that if I'm not 100% sure I can move the bar I should ask for help, I learned to get a better spot. I learned that you get a crink in your neck if you bail incorrectly. But, I pushed myself and I learned from it. That's what  why we fall, Master Wayne. 

Dwarven Warrior

What's Seth Doing Nowadays?

Sometimes I lift it. Sometimes It Lifts Me.

I always struggled to ask for a spot until I realized most people were more than happy to help for 10 seconds between sets. Plus, you are a lady, so they'll be even more happy to.

As for how far to push, form will slip a little on the heaviest sets, you just need to catch it and learn what is acceptable and what isn't and how to recover. That comes with time. As long as form is mostly there, push to complete the rep if it's at all possible to do it.

I'm probably more likely to ask for a spotter at this gym than the previous one. For the most part it's pretty gym-crazy free.  Maybe I'll make this a mini challenge for next week when I'm at the top of my 5/3/1 program. Hmmmm. 

Ahhh, okay that makes sense. Let's see, I've done this quite a few times. 

Every time I approach 95%+ on bench, I get a spotter. 2/3 of the time I hit the lift, but every once in a while I've left the bar on my chest. Just like at the SSS. It happens. 

Every once in a while, after a high volume day, I'll miss a rep that I think I should hit and get stuck with the bar sitting on my chest. 

Sometimes someone helps  you up, sometimes you have to roll of shame. Each time, you learn something. You learn your breaking point and you learn the feeling that means "I should not attempt this rep".

If you're keeping up with  my thread, you'll see that I biff'ed pretty hard on heavy squats last week at some point. I had a bad spot and had to toss 375# over my head because it was my first time squatting outside of safety arms. There was one of those split seconds where I was down in the hole, realizing that I may get tattoo'ed to the floor. I had to fight or flight the bar off my shoulders and on to the ground forward because there was someone standing behind me who could possibly die if I let the bar drop backwards.

What'd I learn? I learned my gym 1RM, I learned that if I'm not 100% sure I can move the bar I should ask for help, I learned to get a better spot. I learned that you get a crink in your neck if you bail incorrectly. But, I pushed myself and I learned from it. That's what  why we fall, Master Wayne. 

I was hoping you would share. I think the story of bailing on 375# is a little scary. Though it is encouraging that you don't seem maimed or to hate yourself. Now that it is over, how do you feel about bailing? What do you wish you had done differently (obviously gotten a better spotter) 

Human Warrior

We have a very strict rule that anything over 85% is going to require a team man spot now, one on each side of the bar, same way we did for squat and bench at SSS. The coach that was there for the class I had to bail in was not very comfortable with this idea and I suffered because of it. 

What did I personally learn? To tell people to piss off if they want to spot me from behind on a squat. I would much rather just walk out from under a bar then have to push that thing over my head again. 

Dwarven Warrior

What's Seth Doing Nowadays?

Sometimes I lift it. Sometimes It Lifts Me.

Ah see we have a different tactic for bailing at my (CF) gym. It's a one man spot, basically if they can't get outta the hole the coach or who ever comes behind and pulls the bar backwards while the lifter goes forward. It is not ideal but works when you don't have strong people to lift a 375lbs bar back up. 

Or you can just take your hands off the bar and let it roll down your back too, I've seen that done. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Have you considered practicing bailing?

Load up a bar for a squat with some bumper plates and practice dumping the bar off your back, if you have access to bumper plates that is.

I haven't had to bail on a squat (yet), but the roll of shame hurts my pride worse than anything. Again, something you could always practice.

When in doubt, ask for a spot.

I've practiced bailing on squats. Numerous times. It happens, so it's something you should practice. 

What I haven't practiced is safely dumping a bar behind me with a person back there who is likely to hurt himself or me in the process. So, lesson learned. 

Ah yeah, Always shout: "BIG SKWAT HAPPENING NAO! BACK UP PEEPS!" 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Has anybody read anything about making gains while in ketosis? I've been eating this way for like 2 months now, I feel awesome, have no desire to eat carbs, but I do sometimes wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by not directly supplying glycogen to my muscles.  I'm still getting stronger, but I just wonder if I could be gaining more by upping my carb intake.  Or maybe I should just accept the fact that I am getting stronger, regardless of how long it's taking, and stop worrying about it.  I love worrying I guess.

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

Has anybody read anything about making gains while in ketosis? I've been eating this way for like 2 months now, I feel awesome, have no desire to eat carbs, but I do sometimes wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by not directly supplying glycogen to my muscles.  I'm still getting stronger, but I just wonder if I could be gaining more by upping my carb intake.  Or maybe I should just accept the fact that I am getting stronger, regardless of how long it's taking, and stop worrying about it.  I love worrying I guess.

My expereince with keto was great. My strength was good. If you refeed at least once a week you should be good.

The carbs are good to have in your system.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines