The Training Yard: Where Warriors Get Some Learnin'

Has anybody read anything about making gains while in ketosis? I've been eating this way for like 2 months now, I feel awesome, have no desire to eat carbs, but I do sometimes wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by not directly supplying glycogen to my muscles.  I'm still getting stronger, but I just wonder if I could be gaining more by upping my carb intake.  Or maybe I should just accept the fact that I am getting stronger, regardless of how long it's taking, and stop worrying about it.  I love worrying I guess.

Seth is in ketosis right now, but he's doing Crossfit, so he's not really making gains. I think he did make some while in ketosis back when he was still a warrior though.

In my opinion, if you're making gains with what you're doing, don't change anything until you stall out.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My expereince with keto was great. My strength was good. If you refeed at least once a week you should be good.

The carbs are good to have in your system.

During the weekend I'm pretty laid back and will have fruit, sweet potatoes, sometimes corn, etc.  I'm glad you enjoyed it too!  Of all the ways I've modified my diet, this has been by far my favorite and easiest to stick to.

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

In my opinion, if you're making gains with what you're doing, don't change anything until you stall out.

you're right, you're right

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

Seth is in ketosis right now, but he's doing Crossfit, so he's not really making gains. I think he did make some while in ketosis back when he was still a warrior though.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn. 

Well, that just happened.

It is possible to use CKD or TKD to make muscle gains while in ketosis. Using the regular SKD, you're severely handicapping yourself by not utilizing the glucose and glycogen stores. I've started a Targeted Ketosis lifting pattern, where I'm eating 20-30g of carbs about an hour before lifting heavy and then another 20g of carbs directly afterwards, allows for quick energy before and for muscle growth stimulation after the workout. 

It's tedious but possible. I'm mostly doing it to lose a bit of body fat. If I want gains, I'll just eat a whole sleeve of Oreo's or something.

Dwarven Warrior

What's Seth Doing Nowadays?

Sometimes I lift it. Sometimes It Lifts Me.

Oreos make giant muskles. It is known.

A wizard never over eats, Brodo Laggins. Nor does he under eat. He eats precisely what he means to.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Well, that just happened.

It is possible to use CKD or TKD to make muscle gains while in ketosis. Using the regular SKD, you're severely handicapping yourself by not utilizing the glucose and glycogen stores. I've started a Targeted Ketosis lifting pattern, where I'm eating 20-30g of carbs about an hour before lifting heavy and then another 20g of carbs directly afterwards, allows for quick energy before and for muscle growth stimulation after the workout. 

It's tedious but possible. I'm mostly doing it to lose a bit of body fat. If I want gains, I'll just eat a whole sleeve of Oreo's or something.

I've been doing CKD... sort of.  Basically on the weekends I just eat a LOT of whatever I want.  I mean, I always eat a lot, but weekends are sometimes non-stop eating. Fruit, nuts, honey, sweet potatoes... in addition to bacon, bacon, and more bacon.

In regards to the oreos, that sounds like a great trick, but I can't do grains at all.  Even rice screws me up now.  Maybe I'll invent a paleo version ;)

@primalbeauty

Looking for advice:

Is there any sort of stretching/mobility work that is recommended while lifting? Or is it just a lot of lacrosse ball stuff to work out knots and foam rolling? ANyone have any good resources/links?

Class: Warrior (Lvl 2); Ranger (Lvl 1) || Stats: STR - 4 | DEX - 2 | STA - 2 | CON - 3 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Challenges: 3, 2, 1

Mwod.com. Explore and do all the things, which I neglect terribly personally.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

500 / 330 / 625

I do a combination of mwod stuff (much includes bands and lacrosse balls) and yoga pre and post lift. 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Alright, I feel kinda silly asking this but I'm realizing I have been given conflicting information over time.  What is the proper hand grip for a bench press?

I've been told thumb wrapped around because it is safer.

I've also been told thumb on the same side as your fingers with bend in the wrist because it keeps you from putting the weight on the thumb joint and causing potential damage (I think that was the reason, but whatever the case...)

I find it more comfortable to use the second of those two but I want to see what the consensus is around here before I start progressing in my BPs to a higher weight than where I am (1pr 45# plates).

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

This is the only way. Don't make me post the vid of the Russian lifter who dropped 500+ lbs on his chest because he false gripped. BTW he later died.

*This. You don't need it landing on your chest or, forbid, your neck.

Class: Warrior (Lvl 2); Ranger (Lvl 1) || Stats: STR - 4 | DEX - 2 | STA - 2 | CON - 3 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Challenges: 3, 2, 1

Yeah false gripping bench or overhead press is a recipe for disaster. I even saw some poor schmuck at my CF gym doing thrusters (eg front squats to a push press) with a false grip. Probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen done. 

(Yes, yes, I understand that technically the mechanics of leverage are better when you false grip but they negligible compared to a trip to the hospital.)  

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines