The Training Yard: Where Warriors Get Some Learnin'

Overhead press is debatable. At least with the OHP you can jump out of the way. With the bench you're stuck and not going anywhere.

I've been told that the only exercise it should be done with is the low-bar squat, and mostly so you can hike your elbows back to create a resting place for the bar without your wrists getting in the way. Also so you aren't carrying any of that heavy weight on your wrists. (Then again, I've only got Rippetoe to quote, so I could be baiting here...)

Class: Warrior (Lvl 2); Ranger (Lvl 1) || Stats: STR - 4 | DEX - 2 | STA - 2 | CON - 3 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Challenges: 3, 2, 1

Nah not baiting, false grip on the low bar squat is fine because the hands really only shove the bar into the back and don't support the weight. 

And SwoleTroll makes a good point about OHP. You can move out of the way if you are quick. It's just one of my pet peeves. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Alright, I feel kinda silly asking this but I'm realizing I have been given conflicting information over time. What is the proper hand grip for a bench press?

I've been told thumb wrapped around because it is safer.

I've also been told thumb on the same side as your fingers with bend in the wrist because it keeps you from putting the weight on the thumb joint and causing potential damage (I think that was the reason, but whatever the case...)

I find it more comfortable to use the second of those two but I want to see what the consensus is around here before I start progressing in my BPs to a higher weight than where I am (1pr 45# plates).

You can adjust the rotation of your shoulder to ease add-ons of the pressure on your thumb. Much better than suicide grip.

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

You can adjust the rotation of your shoulder to ease add-ons of the pressure on your thumb. Much better than suicide grip. sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

So rotate my arms which direction?  to the outside or the inside?

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Overhead press is debatable. At least with the OHP you can jump out of the way. With the bench you're stuck and not going anywhere.

I tend towards false grip in OHP but since I've been trying to get my thruster on that's been a little rough. Do not want false grip thruster! haha  But yeah, I like false grip OHP.

Am I correct in saying the cue "break the bar in half" would help here? 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I spoke too quickly.  You can change the pressure on your wrists by rotating your hands (which rotates the arms and shoulders).  I find that adjusting my hands so the palms very slightly face each other, with the thumbs basically along the bar helps (though I wrap my thumbs around the bar when I lift).  I do have a "problem" that my right wrist bends back further than my left one.  My left arm/wrist is almost straight, while the right is very bent backwards.   Its an obvious enough problem that folks here have commented when I've posted videos.  The goal is to have the weight directly above your forearm when you are pressing.

Also, any adjustment to your grip should be done carefully, with an empty bar and working back up.  As you probably know, the shoulder is a very complex joint, with lots of little muscles working together with some very large ones.  My worst injuries have been when I suddenly changed my grip without decreasing the weight.   

Tally Sheet for 2019

Has anybody ever had to make weight for competition? I'm doing my first powerlifting meet on November 9. I know they recommend not messing with making weight for your first meet, but I only have 6 pounds to lose, and I think that if I start preparing for this now, I can lose the weight safely without sacrificing strength.

Lately I've been around 154 pounds, so I'm in between the 148 and 165 weight classes.  I've been pretty much maintaining my current weight eating about 2200 kcals/day on a ketogenic diet. I hate counting calories, but I'll do it if I have to.  My first thought is to replace my usual 8 oz steak for dinner with another protein shake or something.

Also, how much water weight can you lose in a healthy way? Cause if I could magically lose that 6 pounds in water weight alone without having to restrict calories or by making myself sick, that would be awesome.

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

Yeah, you're probably not placing in your first meet, just go have fun and learn. That's my plan for my first one in December.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Whats the window for weigh-ins? Same day or day before?

same day

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

so now I'm wondering if I just lose like 3-4 pounds now then cut water weight that might not be too bad??

@primalbeauty

3-6# in 2 months hardly counts as 'cutting'. I'd try adjusting the diet just a bit and see if the weight comes off in the course of things. Totally agree with not making it a major focus.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Tally Sheet for 2019

I know that, which is why I thought it would be easy to do even though it's my first meet.

@primalbeauty

Ahhh, okay that makes sense. Let's see, I've done this quite a few times. 

Every time I approach 95%+ on bench, I get a spotter. 2/3 of the time I hit the lift, but every once in a while I've left the bar on my chest. Just like at the SSS. It happens. 

Every once in a while, after a high volume day, I'll miss a rep that I think I should hit and get stuck with the bar sitting on my chest. 

We have a very strict rule that anything over 85% is going to require a team man spot now, one on each side of the bar, same way we did for squat and bench at SSS. The coach that was there for the class I had to bail in was not very comfortable with this idea and I suffered because of it. 

What did I personally learn? To tell people to piss off if they want to spot me from behind on a squat. I would much rather just walk out from under a bar then have to push that thing over my head again. 

Follow up question: X% of training max or actual max? 

Human Warrior

Training maxes, which are usually close to my actual maxes but scaled back like 10%. Like, my maxes are 255/385/455 when doing gym math I'll use something more like 240/355/425 as my 100%.

This is mostly because I don't expect to walk into a gym and hit my true maxes on any random day. Those numbers were achieved usually following a peaking program, a rest week, and then getting amped up for SSS or some other event where I have my head on straight. Big difference then just randomly going 1RM hunting. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Ok,

I have a question (went thru this entire thread and didn't see it asked).

(Breath Ash,they don't bite and they apparently like kitties. :nevreness: )

Is it better to eat certain things AFTER a cardio workout verses weight training- or does it matter?

Could google this but that just tends to make my brain go all numb.

And, think beginner here. Doing BBWW not heavy lifting (yet).

Would like to give all the edge I can to my progress.

Thanks guys. :peaceful:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

There's certain rules to live by and then there are some specifics that will give you slight edges. 

You should be ingesting most of your protein after your workouts, this will provide your muscles with the building blocks to fix their micro-tears. You shouldn't be ingesting too much fat directly after your workouts, as your muscles will turn to the fat instead of the protein. Carbs directly after a workout will immediately replenish the glucose stores in your liver and then your muscles, which will replenish their ability to do work... and give you a minor "swole" factor. 

If you want to know the truth, the big dietary secret for post workouts for most warriors is... chocolate milk. seriously. chocolate milk.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Ok,

Does that apply to both cardio and weight training?

Chocolate milk, seriously could go there. But, now to decide if that will fit into the whole reducing sugar factor. :huh:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

There's certain rules to live by and then there are some specifics that will give you slight edges. 

You should be ingesting most of your protein after your workouts, this will provide your muscles with the building blocks to fix their micro-tears. You shouldn't be ingesting too much fat directly after your workouts, as your muscles will turn to the fat instead of the protein. Carbs directly after a workout will immediately replenish the glucose stores in your liver and then your muscles, which will replenish their ability to do work... and give you a minor "swole" factor. 

If you want to know the truth, the big dietary secret for post workouts for most warriors is... chocolate milk. seriously. chocolate milk.

I don't know about all of the above, but here's how I approach it.

Protein is a building block unless one is in ketosis, don't worry about using it as fuel as the body uses fats and carbs first. If you have more than you need, then yes, your body will use it for fuel. I think of it as building a log cabin. The first thing I'm doing is building the house, my muscles. Once that's done, if I've got wood left over, I'll toss it on the fire and use it for energy.

Fats and carbs are what supply the energies to use it to build. Carbs provide fast energy with the overflow going to fat, so you only do high carbs around workouts when your muscles are sucking the blood sugar up and need tons of fuel, both for the workout and to fuel the recovery after. At these points it's easier for your body to burn through all the carbs and not store it as fat because there's such a high demand for energy.

Fats are like carbs in that they mainly provide energy, but it's a slower release. This is the main source you want to be drawing on throughout the day during normal activity levels and you can do so by drawing on it through dietary means, or if you're overweight, through drawing on your fat stores. This is how diets work, you restrict calories and force the body to draw on its own fat stores for energy. The more overweight one is, the more lipids from their body fat stores they have circulating at any given time and it's easier for them to burn bodyfat more quickly due to this. This is why weight loss stalls as one gets leaner, your body is less prone to let go of it's fat stores as reserves are starting to run low and it wants to save that fat for the hard times. It's also why it's easy on The Biggest Loser to drop tons of weight in the beginning and gets harder as they go on.

Now, if one is lean, they don't have those bodyfat stores and have less circulating fat at any given time, and hence lower available energy from their body when they have not eaten recently. This is why would want a higher fat diet throughout the day as their body won't be providing as much fat from itself to maintain energy levels. Fats digest slow and compliment the fat supplied by their body and give an even energy release over a longer period of time. If a lean person focuses mostly on carbs, which digest faster and are dumped into the blood at a quicker rate, they can experience energy spikes and crashes.

One does not want to focus on fats around periods of high exertion or recovery load. When you are working out, that slow, steady fat supply can have a hard time keeping up, which is what is behind the idea of "carbing up" for a workout, or eating some carbs beforehand and/or during to supply that extra boost of energy from that quick digesting sugar. Wihtout it, some people have a hard time keeping up the intensity due to low energy, or in extreme cases, such as low carbers, they get faint and can even pass out.

After the workout, the body wants to recover and rebuild it's energy stores, so you can keep supplying it with energy as it's still sucking it up. For cardio, the body is just trying to refill the muscle glycogen. For strength training, it needs to do that as well as begin the processes for rebuilding damaged muscle and building more to get stronger. This is why weight training is so touted for weight loss recently, the increased demand for energy over time from cardio. You can refill pretty quickly from the cardio, but that muscle rebuilding and building work can take up to 48 hours, so your body is sucking up energy you are eating that might otherwise be going to fat.

Wow that was a ramble, and probably completely incoherant.

edit: If you're trying to lose weight, have a small amount of carbs right after a workout to give your body what it wants for the current huge energy demand, but let it pull from bodyfat stores for the rest of those energy needs. Recovery will still happen, it just won't be optimal. If you're going for weight maitenance or trying to get stronger and bigger, keep feeding the body after the workout and overload it with food for a bit afterward to make sure recovery is maximal for the best performance gains.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines