The Training Yard: Where Warriors Get Some Learnin'

Had to quote because that is my reaction everyday

Damn. I knew I should have gotten in on this guild leader thing. My maniacal laughter is baseless!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

The more consecutive thing was an ill choice on my part. Breathing squats will be fine, as long as it can still be considered a set. Putting the bar down is a definite no no.

Woot, that makes things more manageable. I was able to get to 50 with breathing squats; I think I failed around 27 or 28 when I tried doing them without pausing last time.

I think we need to step it up a bit, 50 reps at body-weight.

http://www.strengthvillain.com/?p=163

If your body weight is ~50% of your 1RM, you probably should do this. If your body weight is your 1RM, it might be a little bit much. :P

I.. wonder if I could now do this overhead.. Already did the 50/50 overhead. I'm down a little BW.. hmmm. Recently did a BW Isabel.. Just did a 5 minute hold in the bottom of an OHS with a bar.. hmmm.

This is how bad ideas happen lol.

#paintheresgoingtobesomuchfuckingpain

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

I.. wonder if I could now do this overhead.. Already did the 50/50 overhead. I'm down a little BW.. hmmm. Recently did a BW Isabel.. Just did a 5 minute hold in the bottom of an OHS with a bar.. hmmm.

I....I want to try this. 

*...adds it to his list of zany s%@* to try....*

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

It's really going to come down to how much you can deal with your shoulders and wrists wanting to combust into four individual suns. Last time I did this I had minor neuropathy in my left arm for two weeks haha.

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Annnnnnd we get another video? :)

#yourpainismyentertainment #sorrybro

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Hello Warrior types.

I was hoping you could 'hit me up with some learnins'.

I deadlifted 120kgs (~264lb) on Monday. I noticed grip starting to go at 100kg (220lb) and getting miserable at 110kg (243lb) so used the grip where one hand faces the opposite way on the bar and lifted okay.

Now if I'm working 80kg-100kg should I be using the alternate grip to be used to it or should I be using the overhand grip to increase grip strength further? Should I even bother trying to get grip strength to go further so I can overhand 120kg say?  

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Hello Warrior types.

I was hoping you could 'hit me up with some learnins'.

I deadlifted 120kgs (~264lb) on Monday. I noticed grip starting to go at 100kg (220lb) and getting miserable at 110kg (243lb) so used the grip where one hand faces the opposite way on the bar and lifted okay.

Now if I'm working 80kg-100kg should I be using the alternate grip to be used to it or should I be using the overhand grip to increase grip strength further? Should I even bother trying to get grip strength to go further so I can overhand 120kg say?  

Use double overhand as far as you can in your warm-ups to work grip strength then switch to alternating/mixed grip (same thing, different names) when double overhand isn't going to cut it anymore. Grip strength is important to work as it's a common weak spot in the deadlift.

Another tactic is to do a back off set after your heaviest deadlift set (done with alternating grip) and switch back to double overhand for it to get more grip work wihtout havign to worry about fatiguing the grip too much before the heavy working set.  For example, my deadlift sets from Friday were something like:

225x5x2 overhand grip

315x5 overhand grip

405x3  alternated grip and belted

495x3 alternated grip and belted

345x5 overhand grip

For reference, I can only do 385 for about 3 reps overhand before my grip goes on it and decided I need to start working my grip more.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Excellent, Thank you Mass-randir/Swolórin!

Oh man, these are getting better and better. Going in my sig.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Annnnnnd we get another video? :)

#yourpainismyentertainment #sorrybro

Possibly. This one is going to be harder. I loaded it up and repped a few without a warmup just to see what I was up against and managed 15 without too much trouble but 50.. that's serious. I would maybe have to consider building up to that. But I'm coming off a shoulder thing so it could work..

50% was light enough to make it a suck fest. Bodyweight is heavy enough to drill you to the platform once things get squirrely.  

It's that time again! FALL BRAWL FOR IT ALL 2013!

500 / 330 / 625

I have a question for the warriors.  I had a trainer tell me that I shouldn't worry about squatting deep because it was too hard on my knees, being lanky and long-limbed.  However, the research I've done seems to say differently.  My last lifting session, I reduced my squat weight considerably and focused on really getting deep and I've noticed that I'm getting much more DOMS and feel like I've gotten a better workout, even though I'm lifting 30 lbs less.

What's the general consensus?  Am I going to destroy my knees if I squat deep, or is that the way to go?

Level 1 Amazon Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 2

Team #ZAP

Current Challenge | Previous Challenges: 1 | Epic Quest

myfitnesspal

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

You're going to destroy your knees if you don't squat to depth. The reason squatting can hurt your knees is if you are not allowing the weight to transfer to your hips at the bottom of your squat. The only way to save your knees is to squat deep.

Squatting deep has also been scientifically proven to add +5 to Charisma. True story.

Dwarven Warrior

What's Seth Doing Nowadays?

Sometimes I lift it. Sometimes It Lifts Me.

I have a question for the warriors.  I had a trainer tell me that I shouldn't worry about squatting deep because it was too hard on my knees, being lanky and long-limbed.  However, the research I've done seems to say differently.  My last lifting session, I reduced my squat weight considerably and focused on really getting deep and I've noticed that I'm getting much more DOMS and feel like I've gotten a better workout, even though I'm lifting 30 lbs less.

What's the general consensus?  Am I going to destroy my knees if I squat deep, or is that the way to go?

Deep is the only way to squat. Safer on the knees and better for the leg development.

I see trainers teaching people (myself included) how to squat incorrectly all the freaking time.  Ugh!!! Squat past parallel and use dem hips!

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

JTS posted this on facebook a little while ago.  

5/3/1 is a great program and very versatile. I like to use 5/3/1-esque schemes with lots of my athletes.

One issue I see with the basic program though is that it is too low of volume for weaker/less experienced lifters to get sufficient training effect from. So I’ve come up with some expanded versions based on it for you to check out. These haven’t been run by Jim at all but I’m sure he would approve because he likes stuff that works. Also, keep in mind that the listed percentages are of your actual max, not an adjusted max…

10/8/5

Week 1-45/55/65%x10+, that means 45%x10, 55%x10, 65%x10+

Week 2-50/60/70%x8+

Week 3-55%x10, 65%x8, 75%x5+

8/5/3

Week 1-50/60/70%x8+

Week 2-55/65/75%x5+

Week 3-60%x8, 70%x5, 80%x3+

HIGH VOLUME 5/3/1

Week 1-55/60/65/70/75%x5+

Week 2-60/65/70/75/80%x3+

Week 3-65%x5, 70%x4, 75%x3, 80%x2, 85%x1+

3/2/1

Week 1-60/70/80%x3+

Week 2-65/75/85%x2+

Week 3-70%x5, 80%x2, 90%x1+

HIGH VOLUME 3/2/1

Week 1-60/65/70/75/80%x3+

Week 2-65/70/75/80/85%x2+

Week 3-70%x3, 75%x3, 80%x2, 85%x2, 90%x1+

If you are using these schemes in conjunction with sprint and jump training, then I would encourage you to only use the minimum prescribed reps in all but Week 3s (or only go beyond the prescribed reps in Week 1 and Week 3), since you will be receiving such significant stimulus from the speed/power work.  

-Chad Wesley Smith

Volume is definitely an issue of mine.  The High Volume 3/2/1 looks very intriguing to me, but I think I may run the 10/8/5 instead and see how that goes.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

JTS posted this on facebook a little while ago.  

Volume is definitely an issue of mine.  The High Volume 3/2/1 looks very intriguing to me, but I think I may run the 10/8/5 instead and see how that goes.  

Just looked this up. Not sure what the benefits are for each different scheme though so I wouldn't know which to choose for my level/goals. 

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I'm looking at it as a what do I need?  I know I need more volume, because I suck at volume.  I can handle low volume for multiple sets, but even one or two sets of 8+ at relatively low weights, and I'm gassed.  So I'm going to push for a round of the  10/8/5 then reassess my situation.  If my body is feeling good, I may run another set of it, then alternate to the 3/2/1 scheme.  So it would be a six week run of 10/8/5/3/2/1.  

Just my thoughts on it.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I'm looking at it as a what do I need?  I know I need more volume, because I suck at volume.  I can handle low volume for multiple sets, but even one or two sets of 8+ at relatively low weights, and I'm gassed.  So I'm going to push for a round of the  10/8/5 then reassess my situation.  If my body is feeling good, I may run another set of it, then alternate to the 3/2/1 scheme.  So it would be a six week run of 10/8/5/3/2/1.  

Just my thoughts on it.  

Max if you want more volume I'd just add the First Set Last: Multiple Sets option.

gallery_3779_270_8355.jpg

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines