livingfortheblue trains to get Tough Mudder tough

The Main Quest: Train for the Tough Mudder like my life depends on it

Two-pronged approach to the training: Lose weight so I can lift myself over things, and learn how to lift myself over things.

Edited 8/4/13 to add grades

The Three Supporting Goals

1. Paleo 80% of the time (bonus: 100% Paleo August) (+3 CON)

I'm already doing this but I feel like I can do better!

A: 80%+ | B: 70-79% | C: 60-69% | F: > 60%

2. Do a pull-up (+5 STR)

Never been able to do one in my life, even at peak physical fitness when I was a swimmer in high school.

A: 1 pull-up | F: no pull-up [Pass/Fail]

3. 1/2 Marathon Training 10K training (+3 STA)

Have a plan from MapMyRun, so we'll see how it goes! (Edited because I'm not up to the necessary mileage for the 1/2 marathon plan, and with an 8 week 10k plan + adding mileage for three weeks after, then tapering, I'll still be okay. By the end of this challenge I should be up to 6 miles (am planning on running a 10k as part of the training)

A: 6 miles | B: 5 miles | C: 4 miles | F: 3 miles or less

Life Quest

Practice French or piano for 15 minutes a day (+4 WIS)

This should be much easier than last challenge's 250 words a day.

A: 6x/week | B: 5x/week | C: 4x/week | F: 3x/week or less

Motivation

post-16778-0-27773300-1374675631_thumb.j

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer! 

Current: Starting Over

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford

Pull-ups elude me as well! And it drives me nuts. I've been working toward real pull-ups by using an assistance band but I want to get strong enough to not need the band. 

I'm also planning on making piano my life quest. I haven't played in a few years and I miss it. We should keep each other accountable. :)

Level 3 Gerudo Assassin 

STR 7.5 | DEX 5 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 8 | CHA 5

"Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees." - Hebrews 12:12

1 - 2 - 3

I remember my first pull-up, it's such a personal victory (I still can only do 3 though).

I will be tracking this to see how you go, to push you a little ;)

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

I'm verrrry excited about this pull up work. My friend trousersocks and I have already started with the how to do a pull up article - today we did bent over rows, 3 sets of 8 reps with 20 lb weights! I think we were both very surprised that we could do that already (we started with 15s on Monday and did 3x8 easily with no soreness the next day).

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford

Bunneh!  (No, seriously, is that a bunny in your avatar?  Cuteness!)  Also, glad to hear you have a plan for getting to the pull up.  One of these days..... for now, I just bought a pull up bar and installed it at chest height -- bodyweight rows, coming up!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Teehee, this could have been my challenge ! 

I'm secretly working up to a pull up currently, though it's not one of my "official" goals. 

I managed zero to 4 chin-ups last challenge (not deadhang though) and I feel I can aaaaaaalmost do the first pullup.

What's really, really helped me was Waldo's comment on how most people can't do a pull up because they have no idea how to use their lats. This has been a total eye-opener for me. So I've learned to really concentrate on my lats when doing chins, and that has helped ALOT.

Then PhoenixBurning slipped me this amazing piece of advice: 

http://www.4hourlife.com/2012/09/14/convict-conditioning-pull-up

What made the difference for me here were the jackknife pulls. I'd been doing Australians for a while but the Jackknife (you can do them on a low bar in the playground,sitting or half-sitting on your bum and pulling ys up) will really help you target the lats. 

Good luck w your goals ! :)

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

Hiraedd: Yes, it's a bunny! We had hoppy hour as a going away party for my old supervisor.

Nanako: Oh that's going to be a great resource once I get stronger! I'll pass it along to trousersocks too.

SeeingRed: Thanks!

Yes, it's a bunny! We had hoppy hour as a going away party for my old supervisor.

"Hoppy hour?" That is *without a doubt* the single best thing I've heard in months. :D  I absolutely, positively, need to have one of those now. It's going on my Epic Quest.

In other news, good luck with your goals! I want to do a Tough Mudder, too, though since you're training for a half, you're closer than I am to it. I, too, am doing a 100% Paleo August, so we can share stories of how much butt we're kicking. You can probably get Nuala to practice French with you. And I think CobaltSword knows it, too.

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

I like your motivation pic. Must confess it took me a few seconds to translate the acronym. Ha!

Very interesting how many people have a single pull-up as a goal. It's my wife's long-sought goal, too! Perhaps all the postings will entice her to join me on a 6-week challenge.

Good luck!

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

7/29/13 update

Doing daily updates will be annoying - this one is more to define my strategery in depth.

1. Paleo 80% nailed it

For tracking, I have a spreadsheet with 5 columns: Breakfast, Lunch, Snack 1, Snack 2, Dinner (I split up my snacks because while I eat them in the afternoon, I usually have one around 2 or 3 and then another one around 5). Snack 2 was not paleo - popcorn with butter - but oh so good. I think once I run out of popcorn I won't buy more (especially not if I want to do Paleo August).

2. Pull-up training n/a

Am sore from the gym yesterday (bent over rows, 3 sets of 8 with 25 lb dumbbells, plus bench) so I'm resting my upper body today. Will probably go for a walk once it cools down a little, because...

3. 10k training n/a

Starts tomorrow with a 1.5 mile run, which I know I can do. And since it's an eight-week plan that I'm starting a week before I intended to start the 1/2 marathon plan, I actually have THREE weeks to increase mileage after this plan is over!

4. Piano/French practice nailed it

We had French class at work today, so easily accomplished :D It will be the rest of the week that will be more of a challenge, but I think having the option of either will help me pick one. I should probably plan to do it as soon as I get home from work.

I'm dying a little bit today. I spent 10 hours at work (salaried, so no OT) and my brain is comPLETELY fried. Nine of those hours were spent freaking the F*** out because the guy who I'm replacing DIDN'T DO A G-DDAMN THING THE ENTIRE MONTH OF JULY. He told me he would have the July issue done - it's not, and that's why I was at work for 10 hours, because damn if I'm not at least going to get that issue's alert out in the freaking month of July.

I broke paleo today for chocolate because I was so.stressed.out. I supplemented it by making silly faces at a coworker's baby. I desperately want pizza for dinner but since my 10k plan starts today, if I do get it, I can't have it for at least another hour (I go out to run about 8 because it is HOTHOTHOT before that).

Blerggggh.

In my book, chocolate IS paleo. :rapture: Of course, I munch on the 90% stuff, which isn't for everyone -- a bit of an acquired taste. I buy Lindt bars by the case on Amazon.... mmm.... chocolate....

Cheers!

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

In my book, chocolate IS paleo. :rapture: Of course, I munch on the 90% stuff, which isn't for everyone -- a bit of an acquired taste. I buy Lindt bars by the case on Amazon.... mmm.... chocolate....

Cheers!

It was delicious Hershey's Kisses in milk chocolate that I got from a coworker. I have some Dove dark chocolate (picked it up at the store without thinking), so that'll be my chocolate fix til they're gone. I'm gonna see if I can find the Lindt truffles - I like individual packaging (psychology!)

I got through my run easily, woot! 1.6 miles in 20 minutes. And I stopped and got a medium pepperoni pizza. In a HUGE step forward for me, I only ate half of it :D (mostly because right after I run I don't want to eat anything, so it was an average of my usual "eat it all" and the running's "eat nothing").

So all in all, a pretty good day. Also, I got back from the run and realized that THAT (and the pizza) was my reward for getting through the day. Trousersocks also agreed to forgo our usual ping pong game so I could get back to work, but we DID do bent over rows: 3 sets of 8 at 25 lbs (same as Sunday, but it felt SO MUCH EASIER today - both of us said so. we're staying with that til we get proper form, though I think we got it today).

Yesterday was a not-great day on paper, though I was okay with it in my head. New day tomorrow and all that.

Goals:

1. Paleo 60%

I have this deal with myself where I can eat one bag of baked lays sour cream and onion a month (the big bag from the store). Well, it was the first of August and as I was driving home my brain reminded me of that deal and kept nagging and nagging, so I stopped and got them. I don't really mind that it won't be a perfect 100% paleo August. The deal works for me by moderating my intake, so it won't happen again til September.

2. Pull up yay

My left deltoid felt very sore - as if it had torn just a little bit too much on Tuesday's lifting. So while my friend moved on to the 30 lb weight, I decided to play it safe and stay with the 25 lb for yesterday's bent over rows. I knocked out the 3 sets of 8 easily, and my shoulder feels MUCH better today, so I don't regret pushing myself. I imagine it would be much more difficult to do a pull-up with a torn deltoid :P

3. Running meh

The previously mentioned baked lays sat like a brick in my stomach, even though there had been 3 hours between consumption and the start of my run (note to self: It takes longer than 3 hours to digest 1,000+ calories of junk). I managed 10 minutes (about half of the scheduled run) before my stomach started cramping too much to continue. Since it was an out-and-back route, I just walked home as briskly as I could (taking 14 minutes). Something else I don't mind - I have to learn how to fuel myself properly, and there will be setbacks.

4. French/piano yay

This I actually did do and according to Duolingo I am now accomplished at pronouns.

Today:

1. Paleo 80%

Ate popcorn with butter and chocolate almond butter for my afternoon snack because I wasn't going to hit my basal metabolic rate with just paleo today (my avocado went bad). Another thing I don't mind - just need to buy more avocados at the store, and some nuts too. Even if I'm not hungry, it's really important to me that I meet my BMR every day, because a lot of people I've told about going paleo think I'm going to turn anorexic. Also, since I am trying to cut weight, not being in starvation mode is pretty dang important.

2. Pull-up n/a

Rest day

3. Running n/a

Rest day

4. French/piano not yet

I'll probably play piano for 15 minutes tonight, but if I don't feel like setting up my keyboard it's easy enough to log on to Duolingo and set a timer.

Totes forgot to do French or piano yesterday, oops. I'll probably do both today since it's the weekend.

Already went out for my run today, 2 miles. I actually only ran the first mile because even at 9 o'clock in the g.d. morning it is HOT in Texas. The temperature was lower than if I had gone out at 8 pm (when it's usually still about 100 but it's shady and the sun is low enough not to contribute further), but with the sun pounding down on me BOY was it unpleasant. I mean, weather.com says it's about 86 (feels like 92), so I think at 9 it was probably about 80 but it felt like 90. The second mile I alternated running and walking, and I was actually pretty pleased with the results:

1st mile: running, 13 min/mile

2nd mile: run/walk: 14 min/mile

SERIOUSLY. I probably walked a little less than half of the second mile (I was also underhydrated, felt like), but I still apparently kept up a good pace. I was REALLY surprised when I got back to my start point at 27 minutes (my "route" was based on Tuesday's pace of 13 min/mile, so the idea was, run out 13 minutes, run back 13 minutes, 2 miles accomplished).

Y'all, my physical abilities are blowing my dang mind.

As for the rest of my goals:

100% paleo! Ish. Ate at applebee's for lunch with old family friends, ordered the most paleo thing I could find (sirloin with shrimp and vegetables, no cream sauce) but the potatoes had butter (I think) and there might have been some shaved parm on the steak. Still counting it as paleo since I made an effort!

Pull-ups: Trousersocks (who has FINALLY posted her thread, please go say hello!) came over to watch the rerun of Ninja Warrior since she missed it on Monday and I asked her if she wanted to try chair-assisted pull-ups (aka Level 3A of the pull-up training article). She was game, so we each did three sets of 8 with one leg on the chair because two made it too easy. BAM!

French/piano: did my fifteen minutes of french: tres bon!

What a KICK-ASS DAY. Total BAMF material.

Update:

Had lunch through dinner at my uncle's house, and was doing well till he busted out the bread and cheese. I caved, so today was about 60% paleo (I did good the rest of the time). I was also complimented gratuitously on my 5 lb weight loss (since the last time they'd seen me), which was very encouraging :D

Running: Today's scheduled run was supposed to be an easy 4 mile jog. WTF MapMyRun. If I could run/jog 4 miles, easy or otherwise, I wouldn't be using a beginner 10k training plan! So instead I walked 4.25 miles, and marked it as run/jog so it would count towards the plan. I have tank top tan lines (damn Texas sun) even though I put sunscreen on.

Pull-up: rest day (though I did attempt a couple of negatives just to see how they'd feel... answer: difficult)

French/piano: 15 minutes of French practice on Duolingo. I'm getting better, I can tell!

Updates from the last two three days:

8/5/13:

1. 80% paleo

2. rest day for running

3. bent over rows, 3 sets of 8, 30 lbs

4. 1 hour of French (class at work)

8/6/13

1. 80% paleo

2. 2 miles running (ran the first mile, walked/ran the second due to the heat and lightheadedness. 13 min 1st mile, 15.5 min 2nd mile)

3. rest day for pull-ups

4. 15 minutes of French

8/7/13

1. 80% paleo

2. cross-training tired and don't really care :tongue:

3. bent over rows, 3 sets of 8, 30 lbs (one more day of this, then next week we'll go up to 35)

4. 15 minutes of French

8/8/13

1. 60% paleo... sorta. Ate a paleo breakfast, had pizza at lunch with coworkers (company treat), then didn't eat til dinner when I ate popcorn with butter. So I'm counting the snacks I didn't eat as paleo.

2. did not run 2 miles was so tired from the pizza and bad sleep that I just couldn't get myself out the door

3. rest day for pull-ups

4. 15 min of French on Duolingo

8/9/13

1. 80% paleo

2. rest day for running

3. bent over rows, 3 sets of 8 at 30 lb

4. 15 min of French on Duolingo

Tomorrow morning is a 2.5 mile "long run," which I am definitely going to do. I kind of doubt I'll be able to run the whole distance but I'm certainly going to try!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines