• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Metalhead

Metalhead - Quest Accepted: Chop down 5 trees!

Well here I am. Reporting for duty for my first six week challenge. Recently having lost a majority of the weight I wanted to lose this challenge will be based on building strength.

I have added my own imagination to the layout, but overall it is the same as set out in the rules. I chose to use the "First Time Challengers" as a starting zone, if you will, as I am a big MMORPG fan.

Main Quest:

I will need to build muscle and gain strength in order to set out on even grander adventures!

To do this I will need to:

Gather 20 Iron

-Workout at least 4 days a week (ranging 45-60min) using a structure based off of "You are Your Own Gym" 's "1st Class" program

*At the beginning of the challenge, I will be on Week 3 as I had already begun prior to the challenge

-Success will be based off of percentage complete at the end of the challenge.

22/24 Complete - Outstanding

20/24 Complete - Good

18/24 Complete - Eek! (Incomplete)

Anything Below - Unacceptable

Gather 40 Pieces of Boar Meat

- Find and eat a caloric intake level daily consisting of a Paleo/Primal diet, with at least 1g/lb of protein each day that will have me gaining weight for the start of a bulking period.

Week three update has me switching to a slightly more primal diet in order to help add cals in my diet. Currently eating around 2800cal/day and hoping to see an increase this week. Last three weeks have been a good experiment; however, no noticeable gains have been seen so far. Altered my goal slightly to adjust for experimentation phase.

-Starting Caloric Intake: 2300 cal/day   ------ Week Three Intake: 2800cal/day

-Success will be measured by completion each week and total amount gained. Minor adjustments to intake may be needed throughout the challenge to meet these goals.

Intake found and met and weight gained = success

Climb Two Towers

-A little specific, but I would like to be able to do two (2) pullups (with good form) by the end of the six weeks.

-These will be a little different. I will measure my success by attempting through out the week to complete my total of two pullups, and progress template will be updated each week to note max for the week. A personal set max of 2 will be needed by the end of the challenge to mark complete success. Form will be a factor in the degree of success.

Side Quest:

Gather 60 Pieces of Paper

- Finish outlining my novel and begin a draft of the first chapter.

-This will be done by writing for at least 2hr per week.

Shout out to Duality for the quick and simple way to log my goals below.

Legend

Red - unbolded = not met yet, but week not done. Bolded = not acheived for the week.

Green = acheived

Blue are totals

Grey is for descriptions

Starting Stats (will measure Monday 29th of July)

Height - 5'11"

Weight - 168.5 (will reweigh)

Template for updates

Iron - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/24

Meat - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/42 

Towers - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 

Thanks to the above format, I have decided to move my daily updates during the challenge to this thread as a summary with detailed information in my battle log (mostly meal descriptions). These updates will include my daily caloric intake and whether I achieved my goal along with my workout progress and notes. 

My motivation for this is to look back after six weeks and be a stronger and fitter person than I was at the beginning. To do this means progress. Progress means success. 

I like how you named your task: Gather 10 Iron, Climb 2 towers.  :)  I may have to incorporate something like that in the future.  Good luck on your first challenge.  

I appreciate the comment Melyssa! I was trying to make it a little fun for myself and if you've every played an MMO this is kind of what the first few quests boil down to.

Today is the day!!! Let the fun begin. 

I begin my 6 week quest with my weigh-in this morning.

Current Weight: 167.6

-Which from my prior two weeks of bulking before the 6WC this puts me right on track for my .5lb/week goal. 

Measurements:

Waist: 36

Chest: 39.75

Hips: 35

Biceps (R/L): 13/13

Thighs (R/L): 21.75/21.75

Caloric Goal: 2300cal/day

-I have been eating at ~2150 cal/day for the past two weeks. The first week I saw a decent jump in weight; however, by the end of the second week (today) I have noticed a slight decline. Prior to this, I had been eating at a pretty heavy deficit ranging anywhere from 500-800 for about a year. I think my body may have gotten used to my new intake so I'm upping the intake to 2300 cal/day this week to see what happens.

Before Pics:

Pics will be uploaded tonight or tomorrow. 

Moving on along and the first day is done. 

Progress:

Iron - 1/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 1/24 

Meat - 1/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 1/42 

Towers0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 

Last nights workout consisted of interval sets of elevated foot pushups, bodyweight military press, close-grip pushups, and BW dips.

I did 3 sets of up to 12 reps or to failure with a 2-minute break between sets.

5min Warm-Up and Stretches

Elevated Foot Pushups:   11/10/8

Military Press:                  8/8/7

Close-Grip Pushups:       7/7/6 thumbs 1-2 inches apart

BW Dips:                         7/6/6

5 min Stretch/Cool-down

Besides scaring our dog with my guttural screams of self-motivation "ONE-MORE!" the workout was great. I started out the elevated pushups with my feet on a dining room chair. After completing the first two sets with what I considered too little effort, I added about six inches to the elevation and also concentrated on pausing at the bottom of the PU for ~2sec per rep. I really concentrated on my form for the Military press and close-grip pushups and I'm feeling it.

Well it's vacation time! I'll be leaving in this evening and returning on Monday. I plan on keeping up with workouts and hope to be able to do them in some pretty awesome locations. I won't have access to a computer, but I will update my progress logs when I get back.

Hope you had a most excellent vacation!!  :)  I don't know if I'd have the self-discipline to gather iron, boar meat or paper while I was on vacation.  Looking forward to seeing your update.  

Hope you had a most excellent vacation!!   :)  I don't know if I'd have the self-discipline to gather iron, boar meat or paper while I was on vacation.  Looking forward to seeing your update.  

Thanks Melyssa! I do have to say the workouts were the toughest, though it was mostly because I spent most of all day every day walking so I was pretty wore out. I did manage to go jogging on the beach one morning followed by some pushups and dips, and yesterday I was able to fit in a legs workout that morning. 

Back from vacation! Update time! 

Workout 2:

Consisted of about 30 minutes of jogging on the beach followed by a few sets of pushups with my feet elevated on a beach chair and BW dips. I didn't mark down my reps for these.

Workout 3:

5 Minute Warmup with Stretching 

Bulgarian Split Squats 3sets:                     8/7/7 each leg

Side lunges with a 5 sec hold at bottom:    8/7/7 each leg

Toyotas with a 5 sec hold at bottom:         12/11/11

1-Leg Romanian Dead Lifts On a Pillow:   8/8/8 each leg - sounded crazy to me at first but these kicked my hamstring's arse.

3 Minute Stretch

This leaves me short one workout from my goal. Now that I'm home I should be able to kick it up a notch and make up for it in the upcoming week.

Weigh-in: 166.6 (this morning)

-Actually lost more weight even with "vacation" eating. I did try to eat as healthy as possible and was able to reach my goal each day. I'll definitely need to improve this by the end of the six weeks, and being back behind my desk each day may help. I am going to try to hit 2400 cal/day this week to see if that helps. It's been tough finding the right balance so far, but also kind of fun getting a better understanding of my body in a "machine" sense. 

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 3/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 1/42 Sidenote: As of now I have met my caloric goal, but I have also lost weight. This will be taken into consideration 

Towers - 1/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 Still only hitting one with good form. Here's to next week.

I realized I forgot to add my current measurements in my latest weigh-in so without further ado. 

Measurements:

Waist: 36

Chest: 39.75

Hips: 34.75 (-.25)

Biceps (R/L): 13/13

Thighs (R/L): 21.25/21.25 (-.5)

The thigh measurement could be off slightly due to inconsistency with where I measure each time. 

Workout Aug-5

5min Warm-Up and Stretches

Elevated Foot Pushups:   11/10/9 

Military Press:                  8/7/7 

Close-Grip Pushups:       7/7/6 thumbs 1-2 inches apart

BW Dips:                         7/6/6

5 min Stretch/Cool-down

Overall, I felt really good about this workout. On both push-up positions I took my time with the negatives and held at the lower position for 1-2sec. My daughter decided to crawl over to me and stand up using my back on the last close grip (she loves to "help" me workout lol) which caused me to falter so I didn't count the seventh one. Also, I started noticing some pain in my right shoulder during the military presses during the second and third sets when I would near the bottom of the exercise. 

Still keeping up with my calorie goal, and hoping to see some gains at the end of the week.

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 1/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 4/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 2/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 9/42 

Towers - 1/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 

Workout Aug-7

5min Warm-up and Stretches

Leg Lifts with Hands on my Chest:      10/10/9

Supermans:                                        3 sets of 12reps---Reps were 5sec hold w/ 5-10 sec rest

Bicycles:                                              10/10/10 Slow as possible

Hyperextensions Hands under chin:    3 sets of 10 reps---Reps were 10sec hold w/ 5-10sec rest

About 10 minutes of Pull-up work thrown in. I want to throw this in more now that I am back from vacation, and not just do it on days that I am working these muscles. No real rep count for this session. I just did as many slow negatives as I could. I have noticed that my single full one is getting easier and chin-ups even more so. With the second rep I am having trouble breaking past about 160deg at the elbow. I can get past straight arm now, which is an improvement in itself.

My core work last night actually surprised me. As a person who abhors core workouts, I did notice some good improvements from what I am used to. During the lifts and bicycles, I was able to keep my movements very controlled as well as keep my legs straight and toes pointed. Next workout, I may even throw in some more exercises for the fun of it. I would like to start practicing my L-hang/sit.

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 2/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 5/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 3/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 10/42 

Side Quest Update

I am winding down the outline of my novel, but have noticed some plot inconsistencies that may need to be re-worked once complete. I really like the idea behind the characters and setting so I'm getting real anxious about starting the actual draft. Last night as I was reading through it, I had almost decided that I didn't need an outline and that I could figure it out as I go along in order for me to get started on the draft. Then my left left-brain spoke up and put my right brain in its place knowing that if I did that without having at least the main plot fleshed out I wouldn't have been able to stand it.

Workout Aug-8

It was all about the pull last night. 

5min Warm-up and Stretch

Pull-ups                                                  1 normal & 7 assisted with slow negatives (3 sets)

Inverted BW Rows (feet elevated)          9/9/9

Horizontal BW Rows                               8/8/8

Bicep Curls                                            8/8/8 - used resistance bands 1x50 and 2x30 setup

The pull-ups are beating me down, but I'm going to keep at them. I know there has been small progression and I keep using that for a positive mindset. It seems like my main issue is from full hang to midway up. Once I get past this point, I was able to not use the chair as assistance as much. I also tend to feel that uneasy feeling in my right shoulder during these. It's not the twinge it is during my earlier military presses, but it's more of a feeling of weakness. Might try to find some one arm shoulder exercises and try and strengthen my shoulder some.

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 3/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 6/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 4/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 11/42 

On another note: I ordered my calipers and they should be coming in tomorrow. Looking forward to being able to get a decent estimate to work from. Hope to have that update on Sunday or Monday.

Yet another note: I am still having issues uploading images without using a url. I may end up just using photobucket if it doesn't get corrected in the next few days as I would like to have some "two-weeks-in" shots.

Hi Metalhead.  Just passing thru to see how you are doing and say hi.  Hope the shoulder is just a weakness and nothing serious.  Keep collecting the iron and meat and scale those towers.

Hi Metalhead.  Just passing thru to see how you are doing and say hi.  Hope the shoulder is just a weakness and nothing serious.  Keep collecting the iron and meat and scale those towers.

I appreciate you stopping by. 

This weekend turned out to be a non-stop whirlwind of what seemed like only one day. I did manage to fit in a leg workout on Saturday though.

Workout 8-11

5 Minute Warmup with Stretching 

Bulgarian Split Squats 3sets:                     11/11/10 each leg

Side lunges with a 5 sec hold at bottom:    9/9/8 each leg

Toyotas with a 5 sec hold at bottom:         12/12/12

1-Leg Romanian Dead Lifts On a Pillow:   10/10/10 each leg 

3 Minute Stretch

This weeks leg workout saw some major improvements from last week. With these improvements, I am looking forward to see how my workouts turn out this week. Really wanting to kick it up a notch this week to see what I'm capable of. 

Mini-goal for the week: Any exercise that I have been doing 10 reps or greater will be replaced with a harder exercise or made harder by adding weight/degree of difficulty. So far these include pushups, split squats, toyotas, RDL's, and I need a tougher core workout all together.Tonight will be an off night (yard work's got my name on it) so I will put some thought into what will replace these.

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 4/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 7/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 7/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 14/42 

Towers - 1/2 - 1/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2

Still hitting my caloric goal each day, and I have my weigh in planned for tomorrow so we will see how my weight is progressing. Also, my calipers never made it on Saturday and are scheduled to arrive today.

So....it rained all evening yesterday so the grass is still growing uncontrollably (argh!). On the upside this allowed me the time to workout last night. I switched up some workouts to add more challenging exercises in and had a blast.

Workout Aug-12

Stretch and warm-up

Wall Handstands                     4 min alternating up 30sec with 30sec rest

Dive Bombers                          8/7/6

Close Grip Push-ups               7/7/6

1 Arm Flys                               6/6/6

Dips                                         6/6/6

Cooldown followed by laying on the floor not able to use my arms  :playful: .

This workout turned out to be a lot of fun and I surprised myself with the handstands. I had never attempted them before, because I was certain it would end up with me in a heap on the floor with possible neck injuries.

Also did my weigh in this morning.

Weigh-in: 167

-Finally seeing an upward movement again. Going to stick to eating between 2400 and 2500 this week and see how it                 goes.

Measurements: This week I replaced the tape I was using with a new one with more degrees of measurement. With the decreases across the board, I plan on using these measurements as a new baseline as I'm pretty sure there was a discrepancy between the accuracy of each tape. I have noticed that some of my pudgy areas are less pudgy and muscle definition in my arms has increased.

Waist: 35.25 (-.75)

Chest: 39 (-.75)

Hips: 34.5 (-.25)

Biceps (R/L): 12.75/12.75 (-.25)

Thighs (R/L): 21/21 (-.25)

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 4/4 - 1/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 8/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 7/7 - 1/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 15/42 

I took a night off last night to relax and enjoy some family time. I also had my wife help me take my body fat measurements with my new calipers. Using a couple different calculators and multiple measurement sets I keep getting around 15 or 16% body fat.. Now I know that the calipers are just an estimate, but I was honestly expecting something around the 20-22% range at this point.  I even remeasured this morning because of my disbelief and kept getting the same measurements.

When I was overweight, I always carried most of my weight around my midsection with thinner arms and legs in comparison, and now that I am thinner I have the legacy of that weight still hanging around (some extra skin and most of my existing pudginess around my midsection). My legs and arms are now pretty thin with some decent muscle definition so this could be whats helping my averages. 

Being an engineer, numbers mean a lot to me :pirate:  and I would like to make sure I get a good baseline number to start from. That being said, I wouldn't mind hearing other people's opinions on whether this could be a decent measurement or not when looking at my pic attached below. My tape measurements are in an above post for an idea of scale and some other scaling info is that I currently can fit into a size 31 jean and a medium t-shirt.

This pic also serves a a two week progress photo. post-18207-0-27548900-1376488762_thumb.p

Oh wow, you can really see the progress even just after two weeks!! Congrats Metalhead! I don't know enough about the numbers yet to judge if they're accurate, but I can sure see the progress you've made in your pictures! 

Worked on Core last night with some different exercises to add some difficulty

Warm-up

Tuck Hang           - 5min 15sec tuck/15sec rest

Iron Crosses        -5/5/5

Side V-Ups           -8/8/8 

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 4/4 - 2/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 9/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 7/7 - 3/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 17/42 

I have to admit, I am most interested in the progress of your novel side-quest. Fitness is a new and growing passion for me, but storytelling is in my blood and bones. I'm subbing to keep tabs on your novel-progress! 

Just want to put in my plug to not hesitate to write before you know every plot turn. As you write, your characters will start to take control of the story and a lot of things will change anyway. Is this your first novel, or have you been writing for a while?

I have to admit, I am most interested in the progress of your novel side-quest. Fitness is a new and growing passion for me, but storytelling is in my blood and bones. I'm subbing to keep tabs on your novel-progress! 

Just want to put in my plug to not hesitate to write before you know every plot turn. As you write, your characters will start to take control of the story and a lot of things will change anyway. Is this your first novel, or have you been writing for a while?

This is actually going to be my first venture into creative writing. I spend a good amount of time reading, and am constantly asking the "what if" questions about finished books. One day I figured out that I could get my "what ifs" in a book if I wrote my own story :playful: . Sadly, I've been working on the outline for the better part of six months (life happens, I guess), but wanted to use this challenge to finally get it wrapped up and possibly some story written down.

Being an engineer by profession, creative writing has definitely been an exploration into a part of my creativity I haven't experienced since I was a child. It's been a blast.

I was planning on fitting in a workout on Friday and ended up laying my motorcycle down going through an intersection at about 20ish mph. First time since I started riding 7 years ago. The bike and I came out alright (it better than me actually). No significant damage to it and I only ended up with a sore leg and arm and some minor cuts on my right hand. I was wearing my riding jacket which I think saved my elbow from a good ding. Anyway on to the fun stuff.

After that, I woke up Saturday with no extreme soreness in my upper body so I decided to do my pull routine. 

Workout Aug-17

Warm-up

Pull-ups             1 good/1 kip/6 negatives 3 sets

Hor. BW Rows    9/9/9

Curls                  9/9/9

Chin-ups            7neg/7neg/7neg Pretty wore out by this point, so I did what I could

I had a small victory in my pull-ups this week. I didn't have a chance to work on them as much as I would have liked to last week, but I was able to do my 2nd rep with a kip involved. I'm gonna chalk that up as progress for now. It gave me a pretty good motivation boost for sure.

Workout Aug-18

Side Lunges                       10/10/10

One Leg Hip Extensions     10/10/10 Killer on my hamstrings

Single Leg Squats               6/6/5      Used a chair for balance **Did want to note that I felt myself using the chair for assistance too. Need to cut that out next week.

1L RDL on pillow                 10/10/10 My leg was hurting pretty bad from the bike accident at this point, so I just did these to work on balance and a little more hamstring work.

Overall, I feel like it was a good leg workout despite my left leg from crapping out on me. Side lunges saw some good improvement in balance and form. I would like to keep improving my single leg squats and progress to pistols. 

I am hitting ten rep sets with side lunges now so next week I will be doing a weighted lunge pattern to increase difficulty. I am also hitting ten on the hip extensions, but may keep those next week and just increase the hold time at the top of the movement because I could definitely feel these.

Progress:

Iron - 3/4 - 4/4 - 4/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 0/4 - 11/24 

Meat - 7/7 - 7/7 - 7/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 21/42 Hit my caloric goal each day with no issue. Weigh-in tomorrow. 

Towers - 1/2 - 1/2 - 1.5/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 - 0/2 Upped it to 1.5 for a motivation boost. I need to work on these more often than I am now. Currently, I am only really doing it on the day I work that group. Going to try and fit these in a couple of times throughout the week next week.