Spider-man's Second Chance

Spider-man

Gwen Stacy has been kidnapped, Doc Ock's got her.  She's over on the other side of town (approx. 3.1 miles away).  You're out of web, and lately you're not able to stick to buildings (also you're up to 200 lbs...WHOA).  Doc Ock's got some new invention that's gonna turn her into some red head (named Mary Jane....NO!!!) if you don't get there in 30 mins or less (what am I? Domino's?).  What are you gonna do? Good thing you spent the last 6 weeks training (OR DID YOU?!?!?!?!).

Goals:

Overall:  Run a 5k (even if not competitvely, be able to run at least 5k)

With all my goals I will only get RPG pts if I get an A on the goal (no partial credit)

1. Interval Training 3xweek - I have a gym membership (at least until September...curse those 6 month contracts), use it - STA (3)

A - Interval Trained 3xweek - Can run 5k in 30 mins

B - Interval Trained 2xweek - Can run 5k in 40 mins

C - Interval Trained 1xweek - Walking/running 5k in 45 mins

F - Inconsistently trained -  Walk 5k (can do currently) in 45 mins

2. Track Food Eaten - myfitnesspal and also having to do for challenge at work (which is just tracking exercise and diet) - CON (2) WIS (2)

A - Tracked food for 6 weeks of challenge

B - Tracked food for 4-5 weeks of challenge

C - Tracked food for 2-3 weeks of challenge

F - Tracked food of 0-1 weeks of challenge

3. BBW 3xweek - HAVE TO DO THIS, I gained some strength over the last few weeks with what I had done before and moving over the last few weeks (WHY IS CHILDREN'S FURNITURE SO HEAVY????), I actually have some muscle tone in my arms and none of the flappy under arms, would love to keep this up and be able to fit into a smaller spidey-suit. - STR (2)  STA (3)

A - BBW 3xweek

B - BBW 2xweek

C - BBW 1xweek

F - BBW less than 6 times (total) of challenge

Life goal:

Start a Book (that I haven't read before) and Finish it - WIS (3)

A- Did it

B - >1/2 - 3/4 way through the book

C - >1/4 - 1/2 way through the book

F - 0-1/4 way through the book

My main thing I want this time around is sticking with the challenge.  Last time I started out great and completly fell off.  Thus I'm still stuck with the Blob (marvel.com/universe/Blob) body in the Spidey-suit... AND HERE WE GO!!!

• Like 1

Running a 5K is a good place to start.  May I suggest signing up for a race near the end of the challenge?  I never took my running seriously until I started racing.  And if you've seen my thread, you know I'm not exactly breaking landspeed records, so I use the phrase "racing" loosely.  I knew I wouldn't place or anything, but having a particular deadline/objective helped me stay on track when I otherwise would have slacked off.  If it sounds interesting, try to find one that appeals to you in targeted audience, location, and/or theme.  There are all kinds of fun races out there:  zombie runs, superhero runs, water battle runs, beach, mountain, or park runs, etc.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

I agree with phoenix on the race thing, it really helps to get out and run in the morning when you have a deadline! 

Also, IMHO, adding attribute points ONLY for A's leads to less spectacular results, i.e. if you fail on one of your goals on week one, Where is the motivation to try again on week two?, you still get zero points!, your challenge, your rules, I'm just saying!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

I agree with phoenix on the race thing, it really helps to get out and run in the morning when you have a deadline! 

Also, IMHO, adding attribute points ONLY for A's leads to less spectacular results, i.e. if you fail on one of your goals on week one, Where is the motivation to try again on week two?, you still get zero points!, your challenge, your rules, I'm just saying!

I agree fully with both of these. A common trap most people (myself included) is that we are too hard on ourselves. There's a learning curve- there has to be or else no one would ever progress.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Maybe with phoenix and some other slow runners we can start a 30min+ 5k group :)

If your starting on running for the first time 30 minutes could be too much of a challenge for just 6 weeks of training. You might be fast, you might not be so maybe give yourself some space in your goals. Best of luck :)

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

That's two web-slingers In the guild now. I am Scottish by ancestry and, like Robert the Bruce, I find it inspiring to watch you in action.

These are some tight, well specified goals you've got here! Good luck with the challenge!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Just from a preliminary stand point, I've been 3 days and have logged all my food (good and bad - check out my fitness pal if you're interested), so far I'm sticking to that at least.  I'm nervous (I don't know why) about starting up the workouts, will really have to think/meditate/pray on why this is a hangup for me. 

Also:

Running a 5K is a good place to start.  May I suggest signing up for a race near the end of the challenge?  I never took my running seriously until I started racing. 

I agree fully with both of these. A common trap most people (myself included) is that we are too hard on ourselves. There's a learning curve- there has to be or else no one would ever progress.

Ok, so after reading the comments from you guys and really thinking about it, I am going to look into running a competitive 5k (there's tons in my area).  I haven't picked one yet but it will be close to the end of the challenge.  Also, will work on the partial credit thing, look for an edit soon.

Maybe with phoenix and some other slow runners we can start a 30min+ 5k group :) If your starting on running for the first time 30 minutes could be too much of a challenge for just 6 weeks of training. You might be fast, you might not be so maybe give yourself some space in your goals. Best of luck :)

I'm totally down with that, just keep me posted and I will def. join up!

That's two web-slingers In the guild now. I am Scottish by ancestry and, like Robert the Bruce, I find it inspiring to watch you in action.

These are some tight, well specified goals you've got here! Good luck with the challenge!

Yeah, last challenge it took 2 edits before I had some good goals.  So, I started this one out a bit different.  I wanted to make sure I was able to track (SMART goals).  Also, wow...a Robert the Bruce reference...I seriously had to use Wikipedia.  The more you talk the more I like your style, I'm officially following your progress now (as if I shouldn't have with the entire Holy Grail inspired post).  Thanks for the well wishes.

It took me a while to go from running a 5k to getting my 5k under 30 minutes (checking my old fitness log it took me 3 months).  Good luck with your goals.  Go spidey go!

Ok, so maybe I got a little lofty with the 30 min goal...I may have to adjust a couple weeks in, we'll see.  I just thought (my first mistake...HA!) going around 6mph, I might be able to do it...We'll definately see. Thanks for the support buddy!

Spidey,

Glad to see you're back at it for another round!  Nice job with the goals - look pretty SMART to me.  I echo several above about the 5K - giving yourself something to work toward makes one (me, at least) much more motivated.

Glad to see you're rejoining our accountabilibuddy group again.  Looking forward to having you on board and cheering each other all the way home.  :peaceful:

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Still tracking my intake, much better yesterday than on Wednesday.  1760 cals vs. 2600 cals and I drank much more water.   It's been a couple weeks since I've ran,  I like to blame it on our recent move but honestly motivation has been lacking.  I'm heading to the gym today for a prechallenge run, we'll see how it goes. Normally if it's been this long I will get that awesome pain in my side, but that's just something I have to go through to get used to running again. 

Thanks for the support Orc, looking forward to going through the challenge with the SIT team again. 

Just got done with my first pre-challenge run (using c25k), did 2.5 miles in 30 mins.  I'm pretty pumped about this.  I was a little hesitant about my goals after hearing from the veterans here.  This run was important because it was really a gauge about how this challenge was going to go.  I think I can actually do this.  Gotta keep it up!

2.5 miles is damn near 5K already. :) 4.02 kilometres -- only 98 meters to go. If this is you at the beginning, you'll smash this out by the end of week 2!

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

congrats+running.jpg

I'm guessing Thorns is right!  Sounds like you're in a good place to meet that goal pretty quickly.  Great!

OrcWarrior

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Day 2 of C25k.  I think I've found the 5k I'm going to enter but it's a Cross Country 5k.  I used to run Cross Country in Middle School (I always came in next to last) and really enjoyed it.  Did run 2 today 2.5 in 30 mins again but this time at a 1% incline.  Since I'm running on lunch breaks I have to use a gym, so's I can shower.  I think I'm going to have to start doing some practice runs on the weekends otherwise the trails will kick my butt!  Otherwise on other goals, I have started a book (The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis) and am keeping track of my calories (if you're so inclined check out MFP in my links). 

The 30 minute goal for a 5k sounds reasonable now knowing your current running ability.

Thansk bgvanbur, knowing that you run ultra's that really boosts my confidence!

Good to have a time.  When I first started, I had a good friend/coach that told me not to worry about the time.  Just enjoy the run and the time will be what it is.  Once you start running a full 5K then you will see your times improve.

Great goals.

Thanks gabbard!

2.5 miles is damn near 5K already. :) 4.02 kilometres -- only 98 meters to go. If this is you at the beginning, you'll smash this out by the end of week 2!

Thanks patc....I mean Thorns!

congrats+running.jpg

I'm guessing Thorns is right!  Sounds like you're in a good place to meet that goal pretty quickly.  Great!

Appreciate it buddy!

Thanks for all the support guys.  It really does help.  I'm at work now but will check out everyone's posts tonight. 

Hey Spider-man!

Checking into say hi—I'm also suiting up as a SIT this go-around! Excited to be cheering you on!

Great goals and love your Spidey Story :) I saw you say that you had a lot of revisions last challenge before making your goals SMART, and these definitely show your take-aways from that process. Awesome!

I'm also tracking my food on MFP this challenge. Yay! I've actually never shared my diary, but I feel like there's wisdom there. I'll mull over it this week...

Really looking forward to your 5K progress. Have you been running long? 2.5 miles in 30 minutes sounds awesome! I'm not much of a runner, but I've bookmarked training for a 5K for a future challenge. 

Good luck! :D

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Nice goals! Curious about the reading challenge. Is it b/c you are not a reader and wish to be or is there something specific about the Screwtape Letters? I have vauge memories of reading this during my early high school years and not being able to finish it, the language is archaic and the story doesn't flow easily. Cause if you are looking for some engaging books, I could reccomend something much more entertaining. Reading should be engaging, exciting, and entertaining. Something you look forward to, not something you suffer through.

Level 3 Human Ranger

STR 3.2 STA 3.2   CON 7 DEX 2 WIS 7.5 CHA 4.5

Alternate viewpoint - Screwtape Letters is awesome!  One of my all-time favorites.  e-Adora is right - the language is archaic, and it's not a smoothly flowing story.  But the viewpoint is creative and original, and the events and ideas C.S. Lewis talks about are well presented, and ones that I could readily relate to in my own life.  I'm sure it helped immensely that I first read it much later than high school - it's probably NOT good adolescent reading material.

Anyway - good luck with it and I hope you like it as much as I did!  :panda:

OrcWarrior

Alternate viewpoint - Screwtape Letters is awesome!  One of my all-time favorites.  e-Adora is right - the language is archaic, and it's not a smoothly flowing story.  But the viewpoint is creative and original, and the events and ideas C.S. Lewis talks about are well presented, and ones that I could readily relate to in my own life.  I'm sure it helped immensely that I first read it much later than high school - it's probably NOT good adolescent reading material.

True True. I wonder if I would appreciate it more as an adult. . .

Level 3 Human Ranger

STR 3.2 STA 3.2   CON 7 DEX 2 WIS 7.5 CHA 4.5

Hey guys, just checking in.  So far, I've done...Ok. Not letting "failures" get me down like last time.  I did skip two days as far as workouts go, but I've been quarantined with Pinkeye for the last 24 hours.  I want to use that as an excuse for why I didn't do well, but honestly I could've still followed the plan.  But anyways...I did my second run on C25k on Monday (as I reported earlier) and just "finished" (only got through 2 cycles) my first BBW. I've been doing OK calorie wise.  I find, it starts in the morning.  If I do good at breakfast, I'm set for the rest of the day, but if I don't do good at breakfast, then I tend to fail the rest of the day.  I haven't updated MFP the last two days but will try to piece-mail it together tomorrow. 

Hey Spider-man!

Checking into say hi—I'm also suiting up as a SIT this go-around! Excited to be cheering you on!

Great goals and love your Spidey Story :) I saw you say that you had a lot of revisions last challenge before making your goals SMART, and these definitely show your take-aways from that process. Awesome!

I'm also tracking my food on MFP this challenge. Yay! I've actually never shared my diary, but I feel like there's wisdom there. I'll mull over it this week...

Really looking forward to your 5K progress. Have you been running long? 2.5 miles in 30 minutes sounds awesome! I'm not much of a runner, but I've bookmarked training for a 5K for a future challenge. 

Good luck! :D

Thanks Katia...honestly this is my first time running for a race but I've been jogging on and off for the last 3-4 months or so. 

Nice goals! Curious about the reading challenge. Is it b/c you are not a reader and wish to be or is there something specific about the Screwtape Letters? I have vauge memories of reading this during my early high school years and not being able to finish it, the language is archaic and the story doesn't flow easily. Cause if you are looking for some engaging books, I could reccomend something much more entertaining. Reading should be engaging, exciting, and entertaining. Something you look forward to, not something you suffer through.

E, I honestly picked up the book because I'm a big CS Lewis fan.  I've only made it through the fist chapter but have enjoyed it so far.  It's interesting to see where Lewis is going with this. 

Thanks Orc, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Ok, well hopping off for the night.  If I don't update before the weekend, good luck to everyone on the weekend. 

Finished week one of C25K - only did 2.5 miles in 30 mins today, however finshed the whole 3.1 miles in 35:15.  I don't remember ever running/walking that far in my adult life (biked 6 miles one time) in one "sitting" (or is it standing? or running?...hmmm...I'll have to figure that out).  Overall I feel pretty good about it.  I'm a little sore in the mid-section...I don't know if that's normal or not.  I'm just happy that I could do it.  Doing good today with the diet.  I have a BBW coming up tomorrow and a rest day on Sunday (I'll need it).  Until next time, stay tuned - Same spidey-time, same spidey-channel.

Also thought of something today while I was on the 'mill.  I was thinking about whether or not it's possible to become 'addicted' to exercise.  While I think there's some validity to it, I think it's more of the drive that's addictive and the exercise is the outlet. Will have to work that over some more in my head...there's a quote in there somewhere. Why do I have nothing better to think about when I'm running?

There is some evidence to support addiction to exercise...or at least to the beta-endorphins your body releases in response to exercise.  And I find I think of all kinds of "interesting" (i.e. random) things on a run.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

There is some evidence to support addiction to exercise...or at least to the beta-endorphins your body releases in response to exercise.  And I find I think of all kinds of "interesting" (i.e. random) things on a run.

You had to bring science into it didn't you? :) Good to know, now my mind can wander else where :playful:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines