Chris-Tien Takes the Tower

My story/plan for the coming year is in my Battle Log - I had spent the weekend thinking about an over-arching theme, and I am amazed at how well the NF changes fit!!!  

My mission - to take and hold the Tower of Wizards (i.e. the college's IT function).  

I got out of grad school with a lot of bad habits and about 45 unwanted pounds.  Which means that my professional wardrobe no longer fits.  Not even the suit that I used for interviews (I sucked in my gut for days ....).  While I could buy new clothes ( and will ...), I know that we humans have a strong bias toward expecting leaders to be slim, energetic, and look good.  You don't have to be a model, but looking around my fellow high-ranking administrators, the ones in the offices - who are listened to in meetings - are all at least average weight and fairly fit.  I can't remember the last time I saw a keynote speaker at a conference who was visibly overweight.  It's a bias in our country, and I'm not going to change it.  I'm going to change myself.

My Dean and the incoming Associate Dean are both fairly fit men.  Standing next to them (female and pretty dumpy - overweight and in casual clothes), I feel like an imposter.  I have to step up my game big time in the next few months if I'm going to be taken seriously as the IT Director.  And I have to get in better shape just so that I have the energy to keep up.  It's a demanding job, and if I'm not on top of my game every day, things don't happen.  

So, the first big quest is to get in reasonable shape ASAP.  I'd like to lose all 45 pounds this coming year, but it took a good 8 years to put them on .... we'll see what we can do.  

Main Quest - lose weight and fit comfortably into my grey & black suit - proof will be a picture of me in it at the end of the challenge.

• 10,000 steps per day on my Jawbone UP  (2 STA, 1 STR, 1 DEX
  • Stick to my calorie budget on myfitnesspal.com (1 WIS, 2 CON)
  • Bowflex workout 3 days per week  (3 STR, 1 STA)

Life Quest

• Every work day - do hair, put on make up, dress at least business casual (no jeans!)  (2 CHA)

Diet Side Quest

• Eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies (one each color) (2 CON)

Beginning pics and measurements to come (shudder)!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I like this.  This is good!  It's easy to slip into schlump mode (*looks at self today*) and it really does matter at work. 

Nicely chosen.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I took pics but am having a little trouble getting them off the camera.  I will post them in the spirit of NEVER SEEING THAT FLAB AGAIN!!

Stats as of today

Weight: 172 lbs.

Neck: 14"

Bicep: 12.75"

Bust: 43" (when did that happen??)

Waist: 36" (ditto)

Hips: 43"

Thigh: 24"

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

While the gender playing field is leveling out somewhat in my line of work and in my neck of the woods (litigation, NW USA) it definitely still matters how we womenfolk present ourselves. Which totally sucks. Especially for those of us who don't fit the magazine beauty mold (and really, who does?) Anyway, rock on! Way to kick ass in a boy's club!

Looking forward to seeing pics and watching progress! 

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Yesterday was a perfect example.  I was the only person in a meeting who had experience with a laptop cart - and it took a few tries not only to gain "the floor" but to get people to listen to me about the challenges they face with keeping the computers running correctly.  It doesn't help that I'm new to the college. 

Pics of shame and hope:

photo2

photo1

Kicking butt and taking names in the RPG of life

Forget poisoned apples ... I heroically avoided the poisoned cream puff and then also passed on a jar full of candy.  And then Dr. Pepper (which I used to LOVE) tried to grab me.  I'm in the midwest USA .... people show regard and affection by giving them food .... it's just way too easy to eat crap.  I managed to run off the single scoop of Culver's ice cream I had with hubby at lunch by doing my Zombies, Run! 5K training program (ran 5K+ in under 50 minutes).  But life is turning into a gauntlet of turning down food gracefully.

Some sort of Jedi .....

Good for you posting pics and avoiding cream puffs!!!

And I still really really like your challenge about appearance at work.  I really like it.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I completely sympathize with the whole "people showing respect and affection through gifts of food" thing. Not only do I live in the South, which has raised it to an art form, but my whole family is that way. It's taken a lot of doing to reprogram myself, and I still fall into that habit if I'm not paying attention.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

The hard part is turning people down gracefully.  I still feel like I'm turning own something about the relationship when I turn down food.  

And what DO people in the south do about biting insects??  I might have had my first run in with chiggers.   I spent a lot of last night reapplying Benadryl so that I could sleep.  It's better today, but  ...... ow!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

good for you. looking forward to this challenge!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

The hard part is turning people down gracefully.  I still feel like I'm turning own something about the relationship when I turn down food.  

If you figure it out, I hope you share.  When I visit my husband's family, all dietary considerations just go out the window for the duration.  Southern + Cajun = omg, my husband's grandma looks like she might have an anxiety attack if I don't accept something to eat.

Chiggers! Ugh! I don't know what other people in the South do, but what I did was stay inside. And move to Colorado to escape.

Nothing helpful, I know, so I'll just wish you good luck!  

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

And what DO people in the south do about biting insects??  I might have had my first run in with chiggers.   I spent a lot of last night reapplying Benadryl so that I could sleep.  It's better today, but  ...... ow!!!

There is a delicate balance.  Often, I can simply say "oh gosh that looks amazing but I'm dieting and we all know how awful that is! You guys are the best though" and everyone is happy.  BUT sometimes, it's political. I had to eat "political" cake last week at a celebration - all the imp peeps were there and it was expected we "participate".  So I did - a few bites and it was fine. I survived and low carbed later. 

As for chiggers... LOL!  I used to talk about them all the time but nobody up here knows what they are and everyone is always convinced I'm using some kind of slur so I stopped.  They are AWFUL.  Bug spray, OTC benadryl (PO).  But there's a reason people don't go out in the summer evenings.  LOL.  Terrible.  Those and june bugs.... ewwww (at least they don't bite but they fly right into you)

I AM going the distance

As for chiggers... LOL!  I used to talk about them all the time but nobody up here knows what they are and everyone is always convinced I'm using some kind of slur so I stopped.  They are AWFUL.  Bug spray, OTC benadryl (PO).  But there's a reason people don't go out in the summer evenings.  LOL.  Terrible.  Those and june bugs.... ewwww (at least they don't bite but they fly right into you)

Quoted and bolded for truth! We don't just stay in because we love our AC; we also love not being eaten alive!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Quoted and bolded for truth! We don't just stay in because we love our AC; we also love not being eaten alive!

and you stay in b/c the june bugs will fly right into you AND the damned bats will fly into your hair. 

Seriously... the south is just wrong like deep dark ocean wrong. 

At least up here in the big city, down in da hood I just have to worry about getting robbed and I don't worry about bugs eating me.  sheesh.

I AM going the distance

Seriously... the south is just wrong like deep dark ocean wrong. 

I experienced the deep dark ocean wrong while snorkling in the Bahamas.  Moving off the reef and to where I could see the drop off had me hightailing it back to the group as fast as flippers could carry me.  There's just something visceral about the knowledge that it is dangerous out there ....

Hydrocortisone spray felt like I put out a fire on my feet.  Wow.  Heavenly relief.  That and Benadryl (oral) got me through watching the new Wolverine movie (which I liked and recommend).  Then good old fashioned calamine lotion, more Benadryl,  and a half glass of wine put me to sleep for 9 1/2 hours!!  I think I might live to run another day.

Seriously, my feet were so swollen and painful last evening that I skipped the run.  I could hardly see one of my toenails from the swelling from the damn bites.  Movie and popcorn seemed indicated, but I was proud that I didn't go nuts.  Hubby and I split a bag and water.  No chocolate.  No stopping for a big bottle of wine.  I was tired and went to sleep to heal.  Sensible fun and responsible supporting of the body's healing functions.  W00t!!

This coming year's goals are really about growing up.  Moving from awkward grad student to being a responsible professional. I need to look good and exude quiet confidence.  I have the knowledge and skills.  I just need to convince myself and others that I do.  Convincing myself might be one of the hardest tasks .....

Some sort of Jedi .....

Main Quest - lose weight and firm up

• 10,000 steps per day - 12,185 steps by dinner time.  A+ today!!!!
  • Stick to my calorie budget on myfitnesspal.com - 1,549/1,945 A+!!!!!
  • Bowflex workout 3 days per week - not today.  I ran 5K in 47 minutes and change.  

Life Quest

• Every work day - do hair, put on make up, dress at least business casual (no jeans!) - gave myself a B on this one.  I did my hair, swiped mascara and lipgloss on, and wore a jacket and grown up shoes.  But I did put on the jeans.  

Diet Side Quest

• Eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies (one each color) -
    • Red - tomato sauce on the pizza at lunch
    • Orange - Naked C-Machine juice
    • Yellow - Banana
    • Green - Asparagus.  Possibly the only thing better than bacon in this cruel world
    • Blue - Blueberries
    • Purple - red grapes for a snack

Naturally, the first day of the challenge was a workshop.  And ... instead of the HEALTHY FOODS we've been serving during summer workshops, someone decided that pizza would be a treat.  And chocolate chip cookies.  I restricted what I ate and logged appropriately.  And had grapes for the afternoon snack and NONE OF THE PASTRIES at the breakfast break.  

And then I ran 5K after work.  Well, walked and ran.  But I shaved off about 30 seconds from my prior time.  Pretty close to 47 minutes at the 3.1 mile mark, but I was watching traffic.

Today's Grade:  A!

Some sort of Jedi .....

Off to a good start! Glad the Benadryl worked. With my allergies, I live or that stuff.

Woot woot on your 5k!!!!

I AM going the distance

Off to a good start! Glad the Benadryl worked. With my allergies, I live or that stuff.

Don't know how you do it. That stuff had me napping on the couch.  I haven't napped since I was pregnant!

Some sort of Jedi .....

I LIVE with it but, like coffee, I fear I am immune. I've had to take double doses. Lol

I AM going the distance

Back to court in the Kingdom of the Absurd ......  

• 10,000 steps per day - 9,286 .... 93% gets me an A for the day here.
  • Stick to my calorie budget on myfitnesspal.com - 2062/1346 .... we went out to eat and also ate the boxed lunch at the workshop.  I should have skipped the chips, the cookies, and the creme brulee.  The 1/2 hour on the elliptical didn't do much to mitigate the damage.
  • Bowflex workout 3 days per week - not today

Life Quest

• Every work day - do hair, put on make up, dress at least business casual (no jeans!) - today is a C day.  Preppy casual, but I did my hair and makeup and grown up shoes.

Diet Side Quest

• Eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies (one each color) - B
    • Red - tomato on sandwich, cherry tomatoes for snack
    • Orange - cantalope
    • Yellow - pineapple
    • Green - Naked Green Machine, honeydew
    • Blue - (you realize that the only blue food is blueberries .....)
    • Purple - red grapes 

Overall, the day rates a D.  I'm just so grateful that the online workshop is done, done, done!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

• 10,000 steps per day - 10,200+ ....  A for the day here.
  • Stick to my calorie budget on myfitnesspal.com - 1439/1592 - Another A!!

Life Quest

• Every work day - do hair, put on make up, dress at least business casual (no jeans!) - today is a C day.  Preppy casual, but I did my hair and makeup and grown up shoes.

Diet Side Quest

• Eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies (one each color) - A!!!
    • Red - tomato on sandwich
    • Orange - baby carrots with sandwich at lunch - NO CHIPS eventhough hubby dangled them in front of me
    • Yellow - cherry tomatos in yellow - I grow red, orange and yellow ones.  Kinda festive, actually.
    • Green - lettuce
    • Blue -  blueberries
    • Purple - red wine 

It was another day of hand-to-hand battle trying to get to the Tower - mostly dealing with supposed allies in this battle.  

Hubby loves to bring out Sun Chips when we have lunch, but I fought them off with my baby carrots!!!  

But the day's battles were not yet over.  After a hard run, I gave in to fried chicken.  The auto repair place was not done with hubby's car; so he was late and couldn't make grilled chicken.  Plan B was rotisserie chicken, but our little grocery sold out of that and only had fried left.  Oy!!  I stuck to a wing and a thigh, a little pasta salad, and ONE glass of wine.

I tell you, after the number of people who let me down at work, I figured that one glass was a heroic display of self discipline.  I'd arranged a collaborative purchase of software to get the best licensing price only to have a couple of faculty back out when they realized that - gasp! - their department had to pay for the licenses.  So we have to go back to everyone and explain that ... no .... THEY can't get the deep discount unless they want to pony up and buy more seats (and spend the same amount of money in the end).  But insult to injury, I end up looking like a fool because the offending faculty members can't seem to remember that they agreed to the deal. I need to keep email trails ....

Then, our central IT department had wanted to centralize closed captioning of video for students with auditory limitations, but they realized that they don't have the time to finalize the details on that deal.  So each college is back to doing its own with only a month in which to get the work done.  I'm getting really tired of the bait and switch with that department.  They want to take over the world, but when they get it they haven't a clue what to do with it.  Like a dog chasing a car.

But, I earned an A today.  I ate well enough and worked out hard.

Tomorrow, the office Fitocracy challenge starts!!  The winner gets a free lunch; so I hope they compete hard and leave me in the dust.

Some sort of Jedi .....

Sorry you're having to deal with active stupid people at work. The office Fitocracy challenge sounds awesome! Wish I could get people at my school to sign up for that; I'd smoke 'em! (barbell stuff at CF is worth a ton of points)

Oooohhhhh.  I may have to work in more weight lifting.

• 10,000 steps per day - 12,000+ ....  A for the day here.  I ran a slow 5K ... legs were really stiff from workouts the past 3 days.
  • Stick to my calorie budget on myfitnesspal.com - 1482/2009 - Another A!!

Life Quest

• Every work day - do hair, put on make up, dress at least business casual (no jeans!) - today is an A day.  Blazer, matching top, grey slacks, hair, makeup, and grown up shoes.  And I needed the armor!!

Diet Side Quest

• Eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies (one each color) - A!!!
    • Red - tomato on sandwich
    • Orange - cherry tomatoes
    • Yellow - banana peppers on the sammich and grilled zucchini
    • Green - lettuce and grilled zucchini
    • Blue -  blueberries
    • Purple - black olives and red wine

We refinanced the house today in the hope that hubby gets the local job.  He's interviewing on the 14th for a job at the same university I'm at.

The rest of the day was spent in buying computer equipment and arranging for closed captioning.  It's a problem at times because most faculty don't bother to clear copyright before asking us to stream video.  One faculty member is being really difficult about it - he doesn't have a valid reason to ask us to stream a video (it can be shown in class); so I'm marshalling support for doing the legal and correct thing.  I'm collecting supporters and setting up defenses.  It's not easy for me (I slept about 3 hours last night), but I'm practicing being a kick ass dragon.

Some sort of Jedi .....

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines