• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SunSeeker

Melyssa: Slay the Thru-Hike Demon!

Challenge Recap

Task 1:  Weekly 10 mile hike with a full pack.  A

I completed this every week

Task 2: 25 mile shake down hike and completing any to-do list items the hike generates: A

I only did 20 miles, but due to the new shoe inserts I purchased the day before I started this trip, I decided not to push my feet.  I gave myself an A for being smart about the inserts and for completing all my to-do list items the final week of the challenge.  

Task 3: Yoga 3 times a week with one being a studio class: B

My weekly grades for yoga were A (4), C(2), A(4), B(3), D(1), A(4) is 18 points divided by 6 weeks is 3 or a B.  I learned a tremendous amount about where I am when it comes to flexibility and a lot about the different styles of yoga.  I really enjoyed this exploration and will definitely keep this a part of my fitness routine.   

Task 4: No soda:  A

I haven't had a soda in 6 weeks.  Woohoo!!!!!

So I say this challenge is definitely a success.  The purpose of this challenge was to prepare me for the week long backpacking trip that I am starting this coming Saturday with my brother.  That will be the true test of whether I did enough.  

I learned a tremendous amount from this challenge.  First, the format of the challenge is a great tool for me as I like to get As and it helps keep me accountable.  There are several times that I would have skipped my weekly hike and I definitely would have left my to-do list until the last possible moment, because I am one of the world's biggest procrastinators.  So, thank you NF!!!!  I feel like I've made (and unfortunately lost as they disappeared from their challenge :( ) several friends here at NF during this challenge.  I enjoyed following the other challengers and I learned so much from them.  They helped motivate me and keep me going on my challenge.  So thank you all very much!  I look forward to seeing all of you during the next challenge!!!

Great job on your first challenge.  You definitely are well prepared for your hiking trip!

Did you decide what guild suits you best yet?

Great job on your first challenge.  You definitely are well prepared for your hiking trip!

Did you decide what guild suits you best yet?

Thanks

The next challenge I will be going with the Scouts since the first week I will be doing my week long hike and it fits in nicely there.  Although, I don't race, I basically enjoy doing endurance things whether long hikes, long paddles, long bike rides, etc and working up to longer hikes, paddles etc.  I followed experienced people from several different guilds this challenge and I feel the most at home with the scouts.  Thank you for following me on my first challenge, it meant a lot to have your support and guidance.  

I can't wait to see how awesome you do next challenge :)

I am so glad we can follow people even in other guilds ;)

I am looking forward to the next challenge, although I'm having trouble seeing past the first week and the hike.  lol  

Oops, I actually thought you were a scout.  My bad.  Guess I need to read the small print.  

haha nope... 

I have wanted to be a ranger since I first read LOTR nearly 30 years ago ;)... all my dnd characters are rangers or multiclass rangers... ::P

I love the distances... and i love the lifting... and I love the eating... so ranger it was!

haha nope... 

I have wanted to be a ranger since I first read LOTR nearly 30 years ago ;)... all my dnd characters are rangers or multiclass rangers... : :tongue:

I love the distances... and i love the lifting... and I love the eating... so ranger it was!

I really need to read LOTR.  I think of Rangers, I think of Army Rangers.  lol  

I'm not fond of lifting (unless it involves a fork) and I dislike going to the gym (unless it is super cold out).  Warriors are so far beyond me I just look at them in amazement although I followed a few of them this challenge as well.  I think you are the only Ranger I followed and the whole time I thought you were a scout.  Well next time I'll be following a Ranger!!

Melyssa, I just wanted to say thank you for supporting me through this challenge, even though I didn't stop by your thread and return the favor like I should have.  It's something I need to do better on.  But I did really appreciate your support, and I hope to continue on with a NF friendship. :)

Watching your challenge has been a real inspiration. You seem to be able to focus on a few different goals and activities.

You'll be so prepared for your trip and it will be awesome!

Make sure you give us a run down when you get back.

I feel inspired to plan some of my own thru-hikes and get track fit in upcoming challenges.

Well done! :D

Inspired by your challenge!  Congrats and best of luck on the next challenge.  I used to do maintenance on the AT when I lived in Virginia and I miss it.

This next challenge will be my first.  I've been training off and on for two years to do a half marathon.  I got way laid by an injury and getting sober.  My plan is to work on overall health.  

I was hoping to get my initial post for the new challenge entered before I leave for my backpacking trip, but they must be working hard on the rules for this challenge.  No biggie, I will just start my entries when I get back a week from Sunday.  

Good Luck on the new challenge everyone!!!