UberTumbleweed Goes for the Gap

Quest: Lose Bodyfat

I put on weight very easily, and mostly I put on fat.  And I'm always getting in my own way trying to reduce that.  In fact, I'm constantly getting in my own way in most aspects of my life!  Right now, the biggest barrier to living a life of Winning is my health, and reducing bodyfat will help give me a better life.

I would like to go for the gaps that exist, compete to win in my own life, and do everything with the intent win whenever it's possible.  Will I sometimes get it wrong?  Sure, you can't get it right all the time.  But you can always go for the win.

Thanks for the inspiration, Senna.

“By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory, it’s not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it’s possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it’s impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I’m doing it right.â€

Challenge: Go for the Gap

Challenge Motto: “I have no idols.  I admire work, dedication, and competence.â€
— Ayrton Senna

Work:

1. Create and complete a bodyweight strength routine once per week.  At the end of this challenge, I will have a workable, enjoyable routine that fits my needs.  I've already got a routine of about 30 minutes worked out; it can change as I find what works and what doesn't as we go along.

2. One long run per week. (Long = more than 60 minutes)

Dedication:

Log into MyFitnessPal once per day and track at least one thing: waist, weight, food, exercise.   Ideally, track all, but as long as you log in each day, that's what counts.  

I already weigh myself each day without stress, so if I'm just marking that down, no stress.  But since I'm already there, it's easy to mark down food without having to stress about marking down food.

Competence:

Complete Exercise Physiology: Understanding the Athlete Within from Coursera.  Knowing what's going on in your body is the best way to evaluate what it needs.  More knowledge never hurt anybody.  And I've got this horrible habit of signing up for Coursera courses and never finishing (or starting) them.

Side Quest: Life

At work, complete Those 2012 Reports that need to go in.  You know, the ones that needed to go in 2012.  Those ones.  Get 'er done.  Stop procrastinating.  (Go for the gap!)

Side Quest: Fitness

Finish a 21.1 K race.  I'm signed up for August 26!

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Tumble Stats:

Weight: 167.6

Bodyfat (last measured): 39.30% (using the US Navy algorithm)

Bodyfat Goal for Challenge: -3.6%

Tumble Workout:

Warm-up: 30 sec each:

• Jumping Jacks
  • Mountain Climbers
  • Seated Crunchy Frog
  • Skaters
  • Groucho Walk
  • Crawling on Tippy Toes & Fingers

Skill Work: 60 sec each x 3 sets:

• Pull-ups
  • Squats (Goal progression: Full Pistols)
  • Push-ups (Goal progression: Clap)
  • Lunges
  • Crow
  • Superman/Hollow
  • Back bridge

The trick to the skill work is progressions.  During each minute, I can work on whatever progression I'm at.  So right now, pull-ups are deadhangs, assisted, or inverted rows — all working towards a real pull-up.  Push-ups are some volume, and some diamond or plyo hops — all working towards clapping push ups.  For crow pose, I can hold it about 3-5 seconds, so I'll be in and out of the position during the 60 seconds working on it. Back bridges are similar, but for the "straight bridge" progression; I'm not at an actual back bridge yet.

I'll write in more detail what exactly I do during each workout, but that's the gist of how it will work.

I should have taken a page from your book and set my challenge in two separate posts!  

.....what's a seated crunchy frog?

I really like your skill work section, and it's something I may borrow for another time.  You're going to rock out this challenge, UT. Let's do this!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hey UT - I found you!
Nice looking challenge you've got here. Lol, yes, what is a seated crunchy frog? It sounds fun or delicious...?

And ooooh, your race is in a month - exciting! Do you have a goal time?

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I should have taken a page from your book and set my challenge in two separate posts!  

.....what's a seated crunchy frog?

I really like your skill work section, and it's something I may borrow for another time.  You're going to rock out this challenge, UT. Let's do this!

Since part of my challenge is changing the workout "as/if needed", I didn't want it in the first post!

.  It's from P90X.  I saw it mentioned in another thread (probably Wolverine, he does great lists of his exercises) and thought it looked fun and challenging.

I found myself last challenge being annoyed with just doing "basic" moves and wanting to move up to more advanced things.  This plan makes me feel closer to getting there.

Hey UT - I found you!

Nice looking challenge you've got here. Lol, yes, what is a seated crunchy frog? It sounds fun or delicious...?

And ooooh, your race is in a month - exciting! Do you have a goal time?

.  It looks fun!  I'm pretty bad at it still, though.  Mine's more of a flail...

My goal time for the race is 2 hours 38 minutes.  And it's 30 days away as of today! eep.

Lately, all I've wanted to do is knit lace.  Workouts?  No. Lace.  This is the last project I completed (assuming the photo works...)  Now I'm working on something with very geometric lace in lime green with sequins.

MOAR LACE. Knit ALL the lace.

IMG-20130707-00839_medium2.jpg

"Seated crunchy flail"  has a nice ring to it, too :)  And I love the lace -- you're very talented!  And lime green with sequins?  Adore.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I hear you on moving up to "non-basic" moves -- that's what a lot of my workout is this challenge, too.  Tired of being stuck in regular pushups, regular squats, regular blah blah blah.  Time for fun!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

First go at the workout! OMG. It's a lot more difficult than I expected. I sweat a lot and took more breaks than intended. And I need to change around the order of the exercises!

I'm not sure if I should set the order of exercises and stick to it, or if I should just move through them in whatever order feels right at the moment as long as I get them all.

I did a few plyo hop push ups in the first set, but by the last set, I was fighting for knee push ups.

I got a really good negative (starting from eye level) on the pull ups with a neutral grip. I did dead hangs with both chin up and classic pull up grips, and managed to get a little movement up and down, with a controlled core (no wild swinging!)

I found the hollow holds really really really hard.

Bridges! Yikes! They're hard. My shoulders don't really rotate enough to get my hands in the right position for the straight bridge progression yet. My whole arms wobbled constantly from the effort. I split the minute about half between the straight bridge and a basic glute bridge with my palms clasped under my torso.

I'm not sure if I should set the order of exercises and stick to it, or if I should just move through them in whatever order feels right at the moment as long as I get them all.

EIther way works, but as you change the order the difficulty changes (exercises at the beginning of the routine you will have more strength for and will thus be easier to accomplish if you do them earlier in the routine).  If you're interested in tracking progress, you'll want to keep them in the same order.  If you could care less and just want to get 'er done... just get 'er done. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

If you're interested in tracking progress, you'll want to keep them in the same order.

I hadn't though of that aspect at all. I do want to keep them in the same order then. I'll just have to pick an order that works!

Yikes, where's my recover post option?  So long, first [official] post of the challenge!

I'm starting with a lot of positivity, even though my challenge break has not been especially strong.  I've been experiencing a lot of heartburn, nausea, and slight-but-annoying headaches, after a very rough period.  I'm feeling best when I eat a very (very very) high fat breakfast, which makes it really easy to grab McDonalds for breakfast — but then you feel like you ate McDonalds for breakfast all day.  I think maybe this is related to my brain meds: my pharmacy changed brands, and every other brand change has upset my system somewhat.  I'll give it till Thursday to clear up, and then call my doc if it hasn't.

Oh bodies, being so complicated!

I really am excited to get my bodyweight routine working towards more complicated things (full back bridge! pull-ups! planche!)  They'll be a long time coming, but it's still exciting.

I've already logged into MFP today, to track some food and my weight, so I'm off running.

ETA for my reference:

hip mobility drills & 8-count body builder from http://www.sealfit.com/sealfit-journal/exercise-demos/

That knitted lace photo is gorgeous! Can you make something like that Uber? 'cos that's amazing!
Also, good on you for getting started with the challenge even under less than ideal conditions. Hopefully your meds will be fine and it's just an adjustment period.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I hate med. changes!  I've got migraines and until we got my pills worked out it was hell on my system.  Good luck!

I am SO GLAD my chronic migraines have been in remission without medication since 2009.  I'd rather anything than chronic migraines again.  May your meds never have to change again!

I like your goals! And that is some gorgeous knitting, too. Good luck this challenge!

Thank you!

That knitted lace photo is gorgeous! Can you make something like that Uber? 'cos that's amazing!

Also, good on you for getting started with the challenge even under less than ideal conditions. Hopefully your meds will be fine and it's just an adjustment period.

Thank you!  The shawl pictured is actually one that I made in June; I'm especially proud of it, because it gets a lot of compliments.  The photo was taken at one of my favourite spots in the world: the waterfront at the tip of Victoria, BC.

Day 1.2:

I went for a 16.25 km treadmill run at 1.5% incline, with occasional hills of 3%.  My course is quite flat, so I think I've prepared well enough.  I run faster and better and further when I'm competing.  The last remaining problem: no headphones allowed.  I'm used to running with music or an audiobook, so that will be very different.

I logged everything in MFP -- all my food and my weight.

I also made a delicious beef liver pate!  I'm proud of it.  It was a great way to use the leftover liver.

8 ounces fried liver, chopped

3 slices of bacon, fried

1 onion, fried in the bacon fat

Toss it into the food processor with:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon dill

0.5 teaspoon olive oil

Pepper, cayenne, and worcestershire sauce to taste

It was a little dry: I'll probably through in some sesame oil and ginger next time.  But I love the taste, and I'm having some on a buttered crumpet for lunch.

I am SO GLAD my chronic migraines have been in remission without medication since 2009.  I'd rather anything than chronic migraines again.  May your meds never have to change again!

Day 1.2:

I went for a 16.25 km treadmill run at 1.5% incline, with occasional hills of 3%.  My course is quite flat, so I think I've prepared well enough.  I run faster and better and further when I'm competing.  The last remaining problem: no headphones allowed.  I'm used to running with music or an audiobook, so that will be very different.

Thank you! :)

Are you working at or aiming for a certain pace?  Or are you in a "just get through" it mindset?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Are you working at or aiming for a certain pace?  Or are you in a "just get through" it mindset?

I'm aiming for 2h38 (chip time, not gun).  That's my "just get through it" pace for running the whole thing, and allows for a few walking breaks if I push my running a bit faster.  I've been training ever so slightly above that, 10 sec/km faster, and in all previous races, I've run between :20 and :50 sec/km faster than my training long runs.

I also think that last five k I've yet to tack onto total distance is just a mental game now, not a physical challenge.  Hopefully I'm not fooling myself there!

I can't imagine ever thinking that adding 5k was mostly a "mental game".....if I ever get to that in-shape point, will you remind me how far I've come? o.O

Absolutely I will!  I have been training specifically for this half marathon since January, though, and plan to run it slow enough that the awards ceremony will be over before I even make the finish line.  If I were adding 5k at a competitive speed, I'd be freaking out right now.  It's such a different feeling from my first 5k race, where I was thinking "just let me not be last, not be last, not be last."  Now, I don't care if I'm last!  The years of work haven't made me faster, just more indifferent to where I end. :D

Day 2.3 Workout:

• Jumping Jacks
  • Mountain Climbers
  • Seated Crunchy Frog

These felt really good today; I think I've found perfect form!

• Skaters

Nice, slow, and stretchy

• Groucho Walk
  • Crawling on Tippy Toes & Fingers

Not enough hand strength to do the tippy fingers (YET!), but I was on my toes.

I only did 30 seconds of each on the first round, to feel out how I was.  I'm on the verge of coming down with something, and didn't want to push.  I decided I was okay for each exercise to go the full minute for sets 2 & 3.

• Pull-ups

Each set had a chin-up hold, a pull-up hold, and a neutral grip hold, each with a slow lower after.  Still dropping quick in the last few inches, though.  All together, best pull up work yet, though!

I held a cane in each hand and could get to about 85 degrees down.  I like the canes for support; they wobble. I'm doing a lot of the work.

3 regular, 1 plyo hop, rest, repeat; for time

• Lunges

Side, back, switch legs, back, side, switch legs; repeat for time

• Crow

Held for time.  Toes extended backwards on floor with occasional pops up.  Focused on using the toes less for support over a long period, instead of short individual hops up.

• Superman/Hollow

More hollow hold work than superman, because my hollow holds are much, much weaker still.

• Back bridge

25 seconds straight bridge hold, 25 seconds glute bridge with palms clasped

Nice workout!

You might also try weighted push-ups for the plyo training.  Use the same set/rep scheme but make them heavier.  When you take off the weight for the plyos, you'll find yourself flying of the ground because you feel so light. :)

Thanks! Weighted sounds like a great idea. I have some resistance bands I can use to mimic weights, and that's something really easy for at home.

I'm struggling a bit (a lot) with the material for the Coursera exercise physiology course. I just got a 4/9 on the week two practice quiz. I've got a lot of studying to do! I just hope the test (for marks) goes well tomorrow.

Awesome workout, interesting idea to use cane for pistol help. I have a couple of walking sticks,  I might try that.What is a Groucho walk?

It was so much harder than using a door frame or chair backs for support!  And this is the Groucho Walk.  It's way harder than that  photo makes it look!

Week One Review:

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!  I treadmill-ran 21.4k in 38 minutes on Saturday.   TRIUMPHANT.  It was, in fact, just a mental game.  I hurt like heck by Sunday afternoon, all DOMSed up, but there was no additional pain during the run itself.  I added ginger to my homemade sports drink this week, and it definitely made it taste more pleasant.

Weight: 166.4 (166.7 seven-day average (Wolverine, look what you've started here!))

1. Signed into MFP: 6/7 days

2. Did my workout, felt excellent.

3. Studied my butt off for my Exercise Physiology course.  It's still tough stuff!  Really tough.  The first time I took the week two practice quiz, I got 2/8, and one of those two was a lucky guess.  But I think I've got it down now, and my week one practice quiz is up to 100% without needing to hesitate over any questions.

I'm going to do my readings again tonight, and hope to take the first graded quiz tomorrow (Tuesday)

This week I'm dogsitting at a house with no wireless.  Or rather, they have wireless and no one knows the password.  Woe betide me!  All the old unsecured wireless networks are gone from the neighbourhood.

Wheee! Grabbed a 90% on my Exercise Physiology test.  I had one that I had to completely guess, and I guessed wrong.  I still don't know what the answer was, but the rest came fairly easily.

Now I think the dogs need a walk, mostly because I'm going nuts stuck in this house with the TV blaring and no internet but stolen moments in the basement.

I haven't been feeling like writing all that much, because I'm sooooo lazy while dogsitting.  I'm also somewhat supervising an elderly retired-RAF/London bus driver who's a bit depressed, and if I have to hear about the traffic in London on the day they buried Churchill one more time, I might scream.  Better to say nothing at all!  Really, he'll often repeat the same story three to four times each day, and it's day seven.

I'm not really exercising.  I'm struggling to even get my 10 000 steps a day.  BUT I'm losing weight.  Why?  I figure it's lack of McDonalds.

Weekly Bodyweight Workout

Skipped it.  I just limbered up a little and went into the work after walking the dogs.

• Pull-ups
    Nada.  There isn't anything except the kitchen table to pull on that's stable, and I'm too scared I'll damage the table!  I'v held back a pulling dog a lot this week, can that count?

Pistols with chairs on either side, up to 9 reps per leg

3 x 60 seconds of X pushups

• Lunges
    3 x 24, on each leg, backwards.  But I need to scale down/strengthen up, because that bothered my knee.  My good knee.  I'm not destroing my good knee!

• Crow
    Still so hard. So hard.

• Superman/Hollow
    Superman: great.  Hollow? yowzers.  Maybe I need to start with some daily below-max efforts.  Grease the groove, and all.  I don't like such a strong imbalance.

• Back bridge
    Progress.  Straight bridge arm positioning is coming easier each time.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines