Grizzy Runs from Zombies for Abel Township

Grizzy

Main Quest: Become a Full-Fledged, Fast Runner for Abel Township (in other words, run a full 5k in under 30 minutes)

I've been doing c25k in conjunction with Season 1 of Zombies, Run! I just didn't like the format of their 5k program, so I'm sticking with season 1 while I finish getting up to a 5k distance and allowing myself to continue onto season 2 as a reward for completing the program.

Although the point is not to just finish the 5k and stop like last time, it's to run the 5k and keep it up/improve it. I always laugh when the app storyline comments on how fast I am, because I'm not.

My current running goal is 5k in 30 minutes or less. After that we'll decide what to do next. More distance? Even faster? Who knows!

Motivation:

I'm tired of looking for approval. If I can find myself in a place where I really love myself, I'll have the strength to stop looking.

Goal 1: Go out running and collect supplies for Abel.

This means keeping a 3x/week running schedule on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

The runs will be from the c25k running program until I finish it; I just finished week 7 day 1. After that, I must run 5k 3x/week for this challenge to get more comfortable with it and *hopefully* get a little faster.

Grading: Percentage of the 18 total runs completed

Stat Rewards: +2 CHA, +2 STA, +1 DEX

Goal 2: Stretch out! We don't want an injured runner.

I must stretch/do mobility work after every run. I'm bad about doing this, and one day it's going to get me hurt and off course. I'm hoping to learn some mobility workouts along the way!

Grading: Percent of runs after which I stretched

Stat Rewards: +3 CON

Goal 3: Get your fair share of the water rations.

I have a 20-something ounce water bottle. I need to drink four whole bottles of it a day to stay hydrated.

I have a huge problem with properly getting my water intake. Either I'm super thirsty all through my run or I drink too much water right before I run and then have to pee the entire time. It's pretty uncomfortable, and I think my runs would be more bearable if I was properly hydrated on a regular basis.

Grading: Percent of days during the challenge that I drank 80oz of water or more.

Stat Rewards: +3 CON

Life Goal: Less Personal Time on the Net

work-home-bed.jpg

My life goal has been changed because it really needed to.

I am online almost constantly when I am awake, and a very small portion of that is for any honestly even remotely necessary reason. I would estimate that I probably spend at least 10 hours out of my 16 waking hours a day online for personal time; not for work, not for projects, not for games with friends. For Netflix, NF (as much as I love you, I refresh the page way too often), Reddit, Twitter, comics, YouTube, you get the picture.

So I'm cutting way down. Here are the rules:

-2 hours a day of personal internet time are allowed in the first three weeks of the challenge. 1 hour a day will be allowed in the second three weeks.

-"Personal" means anything that I do alone that uses the internet and doesn't directly further my fitness goals or some worthwhile project I have. NF is personal, because it indirectly furthers those goals, not directly. Zombies, Run! is NOT personal because it is directly tied to me going out and running. Those are the closest to borderline cases, and I think from there everything is pretty easy to interpret.

-Each day will be calculated pass/fail, and the grade will be percent of days passed.

Things I'm going to do to accomplish this goal:

-Install StayFocusd on computer and add all sites to block list that are clearly personal. Set allowed time for 2 hours for weeks 1-3, 1 hour for 4-6.

-Remove all apps from phone that are clearly personal for the six week period. All personal sites must be visited from my desktop computer; it is too difficult to track the time spent on my phone.

-Report on things that I have done that I am proud of that I may not have done if I was refreshing NF for the 100th time in a day.

-Saturday and Sunday are free days, which may if necessary be switched to a different day if that particular Saturday or Sunday is crazy busy with work/school.

Reward: +3 WIS, +1 CHA

Pre-Challenge Statistics

Fastest time of longest run: 4 Km in 33:16

Weight, according to my crappy scale, in my underpants, after a run and a bottle of water: 190 lbs (note, I do not trust this scale to be accurate, but I do believe it is consistent with itself)

Measurements:

Chest: 40.5 in

Right Bicep: 14 in

Left Bicep: 14.5 in

Waist: 36 in

Hips: 46 in

Right Thigh: 28 in

Left Thigh: 28 in
I feel my pear shape is made obvious by these measurements. :tongue:

Love your goals!  I love c25k, and I am trying the Zombies, Run! 5k app.  What did you dislike about it?  I am six weeks postpartum with #2, so I am 100% okay if it's a little *too* easy if it gets me up and moving 3x a week!

Random aside...so jealous of folks that can stay well hydrated on less than a gallon a day!  Currently BFing the little one, and I have to down 10-12 oz with each feeding (~10 a day) PLUS a few glasses in between just to keep thirst at bay!  How do you plan to keep sipping on your 80 oz during the day without skipping it or going overboard all at once?

Sending you super good juju vibes!

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

@klaymates People in my neighborhood often get heckled for running normally, so the idea of skipping, doing squats, etc in the same area made me nervous. I also don't like the free form runs in terms of the "walk or run as you feel like," because if I'm told that I will walk the whole thing. I need structure, and c25k gives me that "run now, walk now, stop now" structure. I'm not great with "do whatever the heck you want during this time." I was kind of disappointed I didn't like the ZR 5K program structure, because I was loving the narration.

Holy cow that's a lot of water! My game plan is to have a full bottle with each meal, then keep the bottle with me during the day to sip on. It helps me to eat a light lunch, so when I'm in class and hungry I'm inclined to drink a lot of water.

Yay, good juju! Thanks!

Good looking goals!  I know for my water goal getting enough water on active or hot days was easy but sometimes felt like a chore on the rest days so be wary of those days.  And nice pre-challenge entry :)

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Grizzy... I know exactly what you mean about the ZR 5K 'Free runs'. I've done a straight c25k a couple of years ago and found the run/stop much easier to deal with.

I find it hard to monitor my own consistency when I can 'run/walk whatever you feel like' for X minutes.

... I love the ZR stats though, with the map and speeds etc

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

@klaymates People in my neighborhood often get heckled for running normally, so the idea of skipping, doing squats, etc in the same area made me nervous. I also don't like the free form runs in terms of the "walk or run as you feel like," because if I'm told that I will walk the whole thing. I need structure, and c25k gives me that "run now, walk now, stop now" structure. I'm not great with "do whatever the heck you want during this time." I was kind of disappointed I didn't like the ZR 5K program structure, because I was loving the narration.

Holy cow that's a lot of water! My game plan is to have a full bottle with each meal, then keep the bottle with me during the day to sip on. It helps me to eat a light lunch, so when I'm in class and hungry I'm inclined to drink a lot of water.

Yay, good juju! Thanks!

I guess I will see how it works!  I was initially eyeballing the active.com c25k app when I decided on the ZR app, so I have a plan B if I don't like it.  I am going to be doing my runs at 6 am with only the cows to watch me, so hopefully they don't mind my knee lifts too much.  

I think your hydration plan sounds great!  I feel like I always do much better getting consistent water in when I attach it to something I do regularly throughout the day (meals, breastfeeding, peeing, changing diapers, walking to class, whatever!). 

Can't wait to start reading your updates, especially for your art projects!  I think your plan to log the hours and breaks is really solid.

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

Second pre-challenge entry:

I just had my best run so far! 2.5 miles in about 33.5 minutes, almost four whole minutes faster than my last run. Crazy!

It also felt way easier today than tuesday. My run speed graph looks more like a consistent average across the whole run rather than fast only at the beginning and end.

I stretched afterwards, and am on my third bottle of water today I think. Don't worry, I have a tally chart ready for the actual challenge so I'll actually remember how much I drank.

Second pre-challenge entry:

I just had my best run so far! 2.5 miles in about 33.5 minutes, almost four whole minutes faster than my last run. Crazy!

It also felt way easier today than tuesday. My run speed graph looks more like a consistent average across the whole run rather than fast only at the beginning and end.

I stretched afterwards, and am on my third bottle of water today I think. Don't worry, I have a tally chart ready for the actual challenge so I'll actually remember how much I drank.

What sort of tally chart will you use?

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

What sort of tally chart will you use?

I have a sheet of paper which has a column for each week and a row for every fitness goal. There are three sections in the running and stretching rows for me to check off my three required workouts, and seven sections in the water goal row, so that I can make a mark for each bottle that I drink.

It's basically a spreadsheet, but I don't have to log into google docs to update it.

I have a sheet of paper which has a column for each week and a row for every fitness goal. There are three sections in the running and stretching rows for me to check off my three required workouts, and seven sections in the water goal row, so that I can make a mark for each bottle that I drink.

It's basically a spreadsheet, but I don't have to log into google docs to update it.

That's a great idea

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I hear ya Grizzy.

My tracking this challenge involves a pencil and a notebook. That's it. Write down ALL the things.

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

The ZR 5k app was kinda silly with the leg lifts, skipping and what not. I found it odd they put those in and just ran through those parts because I felt like a goober doing the moves lol! I also forced myself to run through the free form runs. There were a couple of times I would walk to stop gasping for air and then take off again but I figured if I gave myself the walk option, I would never run. 

Believe me though, when you hit the end of season 1, there will be no wondering if you should get season 2 right away or not! I was up and running the first day of season 2 just so I could find out what happened next haha! The story is soooo good and it's only getting better :D:D:D 

Good luck on your goals!!!! 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

Congrats on the running PB! It's a good feeling, eh? Also strong thumbs up to (a) easy-to-update tally charts and (B) Rymmare's views on ZR

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I actually bought season 2 when it first came out... and then I bought both again when I got a new phone and migrated to android... and then I started season 2 on Thursday when I ran out of season 1 radio mode and all the season 1 runs and all the race missions were making my phone crash.

No regrets though. I have gone through all of season 1 before (during my last c25k a year ago) and I'm so excited to hear new content again. Plus I can run the whole mission now, so what's the harm.

Great goals Griz!  Well thought out.  Glad we have the same life goal.  It is always easier to press on when someone else is there to do it with you!  Also, love the honesty in your motivation.  You are going to do great this challenge....I can just feel it!  Congrats on the running PB too!  I'll be checking in to read about your awesomeness.  

Scout

Battle Log - Accountability-Tracking-Training Worksheets

1st Challenge - 2nd Challenge - 3rd Challenge

"He must become greater; I must become less.†John 3:30

Great goals Griz!  Well thought out.  Glad we have the same life goal.  It is always easier to press on when someone else is there to do it with you!  Also, love the honesty in your motivation.  You are going to do great this challenge....I can just feel it!  Congrats on the running PB too!  I'll be checking in to read about your awesomeness.  

Thanks! :) <3

Zombies, Run!!!

I used Zombies, Run this winter while bouncing on my mini-trampoline.  It was nice to imagine I was actually running somewhere while in the comfort of my own living room.  ^_^

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines