• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vikingbabe

vikingbabe gets: Small but Deadly

I had signed up with a guild, then the rules came out this morning so I'm NOT with a guild now. But ready to start my first NF Challenge!

I will update over the next couple days as I figure out exactly how I am going to progress toward my Quest.

EDIT: updated with goals - may adjust them before the Challenge starts. Also need to update with my Motivation.

EDIT 2: for specific steps/requirements and grades. More to come!

EDIT the last: added my Treasure Map to the 'motivation' section!

Ultimate Quest: become Small but Deadly. (and find some activity that will keep me that way)

Main Quest: run my November 5k without walking; complete one pull up; be much father from "obese" and much much closer to "healthy" on the BMI scale.

Current Quest: by the end of this Challenge, fit back into my gray pants.

Quest Accomplishments:

1) Track my food DAILY (SparkPeople app), no take out meals (plan ahead, especially weekends)

I have a generally  healthy diet (veg-heavy, lots of water every day, no sugar) and tracking my food has kept me *very* accountable in the past. I generally don't want to input something that is crap food, and I can play around with my choices to see if I have enough calories/meets my macro goals.

Eating out is my downfall, especially on weekends. Since my car decided to level up this week (new radiator FTW! :( ) I need to be even more vigilant with my budget right now. I'm going to work on 'fast food at home' recipes to fill that void, as well as MEAL PLANNING for the next six weeks.

This is a pass/fail goal.

2) Lift 3x per week, either Beginner's Bodyweight or P90 Sculpt.

That's 18 weight workouts. I plan to use my alone-time during the weeknights since I can do these at home - if I must I will double-up on a run day to keep myself accountable.

18 = A, 15-17 = B, 12-14 = C, 10-13 = D. Less than 10 is not an option.

Due to illness, I missed a week. 15 = A, 14-12 = B, 11-9 = C, 8-6 = D. Less than 6 is impossible because I was already pretty far into the challenge LOL

3) Run 2x per week (RunKeeper app)

That's 12 workouts. I have two 5k's planned for later in the year (and maaaybe a 3rd, depending on plans and finances). I've been good about getting to the track in the past - but with my partner's schedule (and I won't run alone at night, too many creepers) two a week Will Be Done! (if it works out and I can fit in a 3rd run I totally will for training purposes)

12 = A, 10-11 = B, 7-9 = C, 4-8 = D.

Due to illness, I missed a week. 10 = A, 8-9 = B, 6-7 = C. Again anything less is impossible at this point.

Life Quest:

Apply for at least one job per week during the challenge - to Level Up in my career (and personal sanity).

6 = A, 5 = B, 4 = C, 3 = D, 1-2 = F (I'm more gentle on myself here, this is a really hard move for me to make). I'll give myself bonus points if I apply for MORE than 6 by the deadline.

Motivation:

sml_gallery_19728_548_1111824.jpg

My Treasure Map (aka vision board)

I feel physically better when I am consistently healthy with my food choices.

I feel emotionally better when I am consistently working out.

I am a role model to the teens I work with.

I want to live a long and healthy life.

I really like how you've broken down your Ultimate, Main, and Current Quests. I've actually been having trouble wrapping my head around the new Challenge rules, but this actually really helps!

Great goals! Good luck! :redface:

We have quite similar goals, so it will be cool to see how we match up, especially on the "5k without walking" part. My stepdad runs marathons. I barely run for buses. 

I still live with my family while I'm in uni, and both of those things make it a lot more difficult to eat properly if I don't plan. Teenage brothers can eat entire packets of Doritos without consequence. I can eat four chips.

I think having a support group will make this whole thing a lot easier that doing it by oneself! Good luck!

You've got your quest well organized! I love how you have an app or a specific workout in mind for staying accountable and tracking everything.

OK, here are my beginning (physical) stats. This Commoner is hoping to gain enough mettle to make it to Adventurer!

Weight: 177.7

Neck: 14 1/2

L Bicep: 14

R Bicep: 14

Upper Bust: 38

Full Bust: 42 1/2

Under Bust: 35

Waist: 39 1/2

Hips: 45

L Thigh: 27 1/2

R Thigh: 27 1/2

I've grocery shopped, got my meals planned, and have an idea of when I will be working out each day (today is my first bodyweight workout). Since its my day off I will job search and apply for something too.

UPDATE: got all my meals logged, found a job that closes on Thursday so I will work on my resume tmw and get it uploaded. Did 2 rounds of the bodyweight circuit, it was tough and I wanted to quit, but my partner cheered me on. My goal is to level up to 3 rounds once my character hits Level 1 LOL

Edited: to fix formatting

Very brave posting stats, kudos! I know it can be a super hard thing, hence why I haven't. Might have to follow suit though and go with your lead! Good luck on your job hunting! :)

vilkacis: thanks(?) - but true bravery will be when I post a pic of myself in a sports bra, once I meet my Ultimate Goal!

Deerskin: yeppers, got everything prepped for the week (lots of dishes, yay!) so I just need to log it all in to SparkPeople every day. Its a mix of new and TNT (tried n true) recipes so I'm hoping to add a few new good recipes to the mix by the end of the challenge!

That's great! It's so hard to eat healthy when you're bored of all the food you have. It make junk food look less tempting when you're excited about dinner. :)

Sabrinamari: Tonight is my second bodyweight workout and I am unsure if I will be able to do it - yesterday DOMS was bad, got worse throughout the day (thank you squats and lunges!) from Monday's workout. I 'forced' a 12-year-old client to take a walk with me so I could stretch out a bit LOL and I'm trying to move around more, get out of my seat (a lot of desk-focused work today). My partner told me to try at least one round of BBWW tonight (he won't be home to "cheer me on") and I'm gonna do my damndest to get through two rounds. It may kill me. I want to go for a run, just so I won't have to squat LOL

I've been tracking my food and I'm glad I am doing that because yesterday, with all my meals and snacks planned out, I was under my calorie goal by 300 calories! So I had to do some quick snacking to get enough fuel in me - last thing I want to do is under-feed when I'm working out!

I stil have tonight to get in that application that closes tomorrow - if not there are 3-4 other positions I can apply for. So I'll get at least one application in this week!

Thanks for checking in with me :)

Haha, I used to go on runs all the time before this challenge to avoid the weight room! :P Good job getting the calories in. That's definitely a smart move when you're doing this much activity.

Yah, when I attempted 30 Day Shred last year (I got 10 days in, doing it 3 days/week not every day) my runs were my "recovery" and I REALLY enjoyed them!

Totally looking forward to Friday night's workout (run), then Saturday is burgers&fries night at home!

Also, I did BBWW a little faster (less resting esp 2nd round) today, still exhausted, my knee is super-skinned from pushups on the carpet, pouring sweat, and I will need to increase my weights for the rows on Saturday. If I haven't said it before, I'm planning to increase to 3 rounds by the time I hit Level 1 (7 more BBWWs!)

I just saw your board! I love it! I might make one for myself that goes along with my challenge theme.

My yoga mat cost about $30, it's an Everlast one I like for its thinness, though sometimes I put down a towel to protect my knees (and sometimes face in inversions). Some combination of that might help?

If your hands are feeling fine with the carpet, I definitely recommend just double folding a big bath towel and using that as protection for the Knees.  That way, MOAR strength training and less pain, win-win combination right?

Ah, but the wildly skinned left knee (right one is unscathed?!?) is a def viking mark of honor. But yes, I will be using a towel until I can invest in a yoga mat next payday.

Got my first run in six weeks in tonight - our 'regular' track was hosting some type of event (how dare they!) so we luckily had a Plan B running plan. I've got BBWW tomorrow, then run #2 on Sunday. Once my partner figures out his night school schedule I can figure out my fall running days - may bump up to 3x per week 'just because'. Wore my brand new shoes too, that was nice (bought them roughly 17 hours before I destroyed my foot).

Totally forgot my partner has a standing D&D game tomorrow night, so we've had to readjust our meals for the weekend but still everything is PLANNED and will be made at home - totally a success for this week. I'm also working on a "I don't want to think so just buy these groceries and we can eat boring un-thought-provoking meals all week" plan in addition to my fast-food-at-home stash. Because that's where most of my meal planning falls down - some weeks I just don't want to think about it, and left to my partner's devices we would have nachos 3x7 and my stomach can't handle that.

Oh, I've been consistently tracking my food, just need to force myself to apply for something before Monday. Don't know why this move is so hard for me right now.

I got all my workouts in last week - took yesterday 'off' because I was really tired. So I'm doing BBWW today (Tuesday), Thursday, and Saturday; running Friday and Sunday.

I did up my weights on Saturday, and need to do it AGAIN (10# still seemed too light) so I'll do 13# and eek them out. Still only doing 2 circuits, need to not feel like death at the end of circuit 2 before I add a third one - figure that will come around Week 4 (once I level up to L1 Adventurer LOL!) My first run was a 'break in' run, second one (Sunday) I upped my walk/run circuit by one (2:3 x6 reps), this week I'm shooting for 90:3 (decreasing my rest/walk time by :30) x5 and then x6. I can totally laze out on this if I'm not careful (its too HARD! I'm already RUNNING why make it HARDER?!?) so I need to push myself with this as I have a goal for November (3.1 miles no stopping/walking).

Food tracking and menu planning are aces - we went out on Saturday and I *still* packed us both lunch to eat and it worked well.

Life quest SUCKS. I'm trying to figure out if I should mulligan last week (no apps filled out :( ) and give myself a bit of leniency or count it as one down, gotta pick it up from now on. Applying for other positions is really difficult for me (I hate the possible instability as I'm the only paycheck in the family, there's no backup or security for us money-wise). Thoughts?

You are doing a fantastic job with your workouts and food tracking!  What's your reward for this?  Good work needs an affirmation, and a reward of something you would enjoy (guilt-free leisure reading?  a long hot bath listening to fave music?  an evening with a friend?).

My thoughts; give yourself a pass on the first week.  Let go of that and start with your life quest moving forward from NOW.  I think releasing last week and starting over will give you a new leaf to turn over and help make itr easier.

Also, what if you broke down the whole job application process into smaller steps?  Then just do a little bit on each work day.  It might make it easier if all you have to do is a small piece of that task on any one day.