AgentsSka :: The Quest for the Spartan Trifecta Begins

AgentsSka

I still gotta get me one of those NF tanks!

Do you have a picture going up the hill or on a flat surface to compare it to? That's a pretty steep decline you're headed down. Probably has you leaning back a little farther so it may be optical illusion.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

This?

tumblr_mntvjciTde1rrnpjao1_500.gif

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I still gotta get me one of those NF tanks!

Do you have a picture going up the hill or on a flat surface to compare it to? That's a pretty steep decline you're headed down. Probably has you leaning back a little farther so it may be optical illusion.

Fair question.  They did get one of me (I'm not really in focus) just before the bridge after the first mile.

Bridge+Back10k_2013_1lo.jpg

I'm generally pretty confident in my running form.  Even when I'm tired, I usually focus on my arm position just to get my mind off the tiredness.

As for the tank... I'm not a huge fan of the cut of it for me.  I think the red tanks the couple of guys around me have would be a better cut.  Or, even a general sleeveless jersey like the one I usually wear at my Spartans.  There is just something about how skinny the shoulder straps are and how deep the cut under the arm is that bugs me.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

As for the tank... I'm not a huge fan of the cut of it for me.  I think the red tanks the couple of guys around me have would be a better cut.  Or, even a general sleeveless jersey like the one I usually wear at my Spartans.  There is just something about how skinny the shoulder straps are and how deep the cut under the arm is that bugs me.

girly?

get a t and bro tank it!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

DUDE! 3rd place hungover is pretty freaking awesome. You probably could have won your age group on a good day!!

That's very sweet to say. But, unfortunately inaccurate. The guy that won my age group was the overall winner with an average mile pace of 5:41. I'm a long way from that pace!

I'm sorry I wasn't there this morning!  I haven't been sleeping well and may have forgotten what day it was when I woke.  Crummy excuse, I know.

No need to apologize to me, Tinny.  You might have missed your chance to be in Runner's World, however.

do the race!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM going the distance

Workout Update - 08.06

Well, I went out thinking about doing a Burpee Fartlek.  Basically, while on the run do:

1 min of burpees

30 secs of easy run

2 min of burpees

1 min of easy run

3 min of burpees 

2 min of easy run

But... I decided to explore a new trail.  It's in a reservation that is a series of hills not far from Boston.  It's the most "mountainous" terrain we have around here.  It's been a while since I've done anything in that area, and was curious about this one.  

It was clear to me early on that the burpee fartlek was not going to happen, as this trail was a true hiking trail and there was nowhere I was going to be able to do a series of burpees, run and be able to find a spot that would allow me to do some more.  (w/o running and returning to the same spot... which I wasn't interested in yesterday.)  Also, my energy level was somewhere around zero on this run/hike & my legs felt like they were made of lead.  It will be a good extension trail to hit on some of my runs in the future, and I'm glad I hit it.

Also, this view is a huge plus.

BlueHills_view_lo.jpg

... more impressive in person.

It's pretty impressive in the picture. That looks like fun! Although, I might just sit down, enjoy the view for a while and skip the run.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

It is pretty sweet.  Boston, the ocean, and the planes flying low coming in to Logan.  Good stuff.

Workout Update - 08.07 

Hit the stadium again today.  Today's workout - as many sections as you can in 35 mins.  Which also happens to be the same workout they were doing the first time I had ever showed up for this workout.  Then, I managed 20 sections in 25 mins (25 mins because of a newbie meeting).  Today was 31 sections in 35 mins.  I'm getting stronger. (I say that because the first time out, I couldn't have done more than the 20 sections period.)  I felt reasonable about that.  Then, as I was heading to the section for the group photo, I saw one of the elite guys counting up his sections in his head.  Suddenly, he shouted to one of the organizers, "55!  Yup, 55!"  Seriously, mother fucker?  

So, I have my work cut out for me.  But, it's so much fun and I'm going to continue to work at this.  Next goal for this workout - the whole enchilada, the full tour, all 37 sections in 35 mins.  Bring it!

I need to do a workout later today.  At the very least, I need to get in some pushups/pullups/planks.  We'll see how the day is going.

So you went from .8 sections/min to .89 sections/min in just 5 weeks? An 11% performance improvement. Yeah, I'd say you're getting stronger. You'll catch Mr. 55 in no time.

Heh.  I hadn't even looked at the pace/min yet.  I just knew that I feel stronger, was able to run farther, and if I had to, could have done more.

In fact, because Runner's World was there shooting for some kind of feature on November Project, after the workout we spread out throughout the stadium and did one simultaneous sprint up the steps.  So, I did do another section.   ;)

And, NP just updated their blog with a gif of that sprint.  So, for your viewing pleasure....  (or to induce a seizure.)

np-animation1.gif

That trail area looks awesome!!! 

Is it wrong that fartlek makes me laugh every time?  seriously... I'm giggling now.  Fartlek. 

That stadium vid is cool but kinda makes me dizzy....

WELL DONE ON THE RUN

(and fartlek)

I AM going the distance

So much win!

Though why'd ya ever sprint up stadium steps when there are trails to run.....  :playful:

Thanks!  And, because the stadium is there just begging to be conquered.  And, I'm running more trails tomorrow... and Saturday.  ;)

Is it wrong that fartlek makes me laugh every time?  seriously... I'm giggling now.  Fartlek. 

Everyone giggles at fartlek.  It's scientifically proven.

That's very sweet to say. But, unfortunately inaccurate. The guy that won my age group was the overall winner with an average mile pace of 5:41. I'm a long way from that pace!

Ah well, something to work towards :)

Workout Update - 08.06

Well, I went out thinking about doing a Burpee Fartlek.  Basically, while on the run do:

1 min of burpees

30 secs of easy run

2 min of burpees

1 min of easy run

3 min of burpees 

2 min of easy run

But... I decided to explore a new trail.  It's in a reservation that is a series of hills not far from Boston.  It's the most "mountainous" terrain we have around here.  It's been a while since I've done anything in that area, and was curious about this one.  

It was clear to me early on that the burpee fartlek was not going to happen, as this trail was a true hiking trail and there was nowhere I was going to be able to do a series of burpees, run and be able to find a spot that would allow me to do some more.  (w/o running and returning to the same spot... which I wasn't interested in yesterday.)  Also, my energy level was somewhere around zero on this run/hike & my legs felt like they were made of lead.  It will be a good extension trail to hit on some of my runs in the future, and I'm glad I hit it.

Also, this view is a huge plus.

BlueHills_view_lo.jpg

... more impressive in person.

That view is stunning, definitely more impressive than my view this morning (which was beautiful in it's own right!)

It is pretty sweet.  Boston, the ocean, and the planes flying low coming in to Logan.  Good stuff.

Workout Update - 08.07 

Hit the stadium again today.  Today's workout - as many sections as you can in 35 mins.  Which also happens to be the same workout they were doing the first time I had ever showed up for this workout.  Then, I managed 20 sections in 25 mins (25 mins because of a newbie meeting).  Today was 31 sections in 35 mins.  I'm getting stronger. (I say that because the first time out, I couldn't have done more than the 20 sections period.)  I felt reasonable about that.  Then, as I was heading to the section for the group photo, I saw one of the elite guys counting up his sections in his head.  Suddenly, he shouted to one of the organizers, "55!  Yup, 55!"  Seriously, mother fucker?  

So, I have my work cut out for me.  But, it's so much fun and I'm going to continue to work at this.  Next goal for this workout - the whole enchilada, the full tour, all 37 sections in 35 mins.  Bring it!

I need to do a workout later today.  At the very least, I need to get in some pushups/pullups/planks.  We'll see how the day is going.

Freaking awesome!  Something to work toward :)

Everyone giggles at fartlek.  It's scientifically proven.

This is true! :)  I'm giggling as I write

Challenge 1    Challenge 2   Current Challenge

Random Treat Free Streak: 10 Days (start 05/28)

Workout Update - 08.07 pt2

Squeezed in my 20 pull-up & 100 push-up workouts & washed them down with three planks. Haven't been doing many planks lately & need to fix that.

Pullups - 3, 3, 2, 2, 4

Push-ups - 10, 12, 8, 10, 20

I alternated pull-up & push-up sets.

Then planks of 45, 60, 45 seconds.

*edited to fix broken formatting.

Workout Update - 08.07 pt2 Squeezed in my 20 pull-up & 100 push-up workouts & washed them down with three planks. Haven't been doing many planks lately & need to fix that. Pullups - 3, 3, 2, 2, 4 Push-ups - 10, 12, 8, 10, 20 I alternated pull-up & push-up sets. Then planks of 45, 60, 45 seconds.

GRRRRrrrr.... anyone else having formatting issues while using Tapatalk (v1)?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines