AgentsSka :: The Quest for the Spartan Trifecta Begins

AgentsSka

Quick Spartan Sprint Update in between drives from and to Vermont.  

Pluses - 

• Finished 20 mins faster than last year's event.  Not the same course, and some different obstacles.  But, 20 mins faster.
  • Finished in the top 6% of the overall field and top 10% for both Age and Gender.
  • Next year, I'm signing up for the Elite Heat and looking to drop a lot more time and place well w/in the Elites.  As it stands, my finishing time would have finished within the top 50% of the small Elite field.  But....

Negatives - 

1. The fucking wall traverse - I need to figure that shit out.  Burpees.
  2. It had poured - really poured - for two straight days before the event.  One obstacle is a 110lb cement block on a 15 foot puly.  Block is on the ground, pull the weight up until the top, and then ease it back to the ground.  I'm 165, and need some leverage to get the block moving.  I couldn't plant my feet enough (slipping in the mud) to get going.  Elected to do burpees after killing 45-60 secs screwing around with it.
  3. I finished with gas in the tank.  INEXCUSABLE.  (I'll post more on that later.)

Those three things right there could have added up to 10 mins on my time.  The third thing being the biggest one of them.  And, the one I could have controlled the most.  Stupid.  And, I'm still annoyed by it.  

But, still - I did well.  And, I'm confident that I can run with the big boys next year.  So, it was full of win.

And, I sprinted through the gladiators to the finish.

Proof:

glad2_sm.jpg

All sorts of awesome.  Your gladiator looked waaaay more intimidating than the one I had to deal with.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Quick Spartan Sprint Update in between drives from and to Vermont.

Pluses -

• Finished 20 mins faster than last year's event. Not the same course, and some different obstacles. But, 20 mins faster.
  • Finished in the top 6% of the overall field and top 10% for both Age and Gender.
  • Next year, I'm signing up for the Elite Heat and looking to drop a lot more time and place well w/in the Elites. As it stands, my finishing time would have finished within the top 50% of the small Elite field. But....
Negatives -
  • The fucking wall traverse - I need to figure that shit out. Burpees.
  • It had poured - really poured - for two straight days before the event. One obstacle is a 110lb cement block on a 15 foot puly. Block is on the ground, pull the weight up until the top, and then ease it back to the ground. I'm 165, and need some leverage to get the block moving. I couldn't plant my feet enough (slipping in the mud) to get going. Elected to do burpees after killing 45-60 secs screwing around with it.
  • I finished with gas in the tank. INEXCUSABLE. (I'll post more on that later.)
Those three things right there could have added up to 10 mins on my time. The third thing being the biggest one of them. And, the one I could have controlled the most. Stupid. And, I'm still annoyed by it.

But, still - I did well. And, I'm confident that I can run with the big boys next year. So, it was full of win.

And, I sprinted through the gladiators to the finish.

Proof:

glad2_sm.jpg

You did well, you'll do even better next time, and you sprinted to the finish. That's nothing but win!!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Nice look of grim determination:0  Friggin awesome Dude!  20 minutes, excel!  

I'm 175 lbs, and a 110 cement block has gotta command respect.  No way around it.  Even the big guys have to work at it.

Finishing with fuel in the tank...its gonna happen until you have enough events under your belt to know how to pace yourself.  Don't want to fall short, right?

What foot gear do you have on?  Look like some kind of minimalist barefoot runner.  Have you considered a trail shoe with some soft lugs on the bottom for traction?

What kind of wall obstacle is in the wall traverse?  I'm thinking a 7 foot wooden or chain link wall?  And how did you approach it?  Technique is as important as strength with those.  (I know you know this, I just want to hear the story:)

Wall Traverse.

r620-86bdcaf9f89c8d1c51d9f881d425e467.jp

For a variety of reasons, she looks much better doing it than I do.  Watched a couple of tutorials this morning.  I will rock this fucker at the Super.  (yes, I'm still annoyed that I failed this one.)  My shoes were definitely soaked as I approached the obstacle.  But, that is no excuse.  Plenty of people's shoes were wet.  They succeeded just fine.

Shoes.  Brooks Pure Grit. 

Brooks%252520Pure%252520Grit%252520Media

Lightweight minimalist trail shoe.  Love them.  They drain well.  Haven't had too much of an issue with traction (except the wall - but I think it was more balance than traction).  I do have the Brooks Cascadias, as well.  That is their regular trail shoe.  I haven't wanted to take those out for these races - they are much heavier.  Although, I'll see how the Grits hold up at the Super and have to make a decision before the 13 mile Beast.

The cement block obstacle... I was thinking about it over the weekend.  I wonder if I approached it like a rope climb, if I could have gotten it going... I'm going to try to look for video of the elites hitting that obstacle.

That you sprinted past the gladiators was my favorite part of your story!!! Always sprint to the finish!!! YEA!!! Your race sounds good! You had a good time and placed really well. And burpees suck.

Thanks, cline.

All sorts of awesome.  Your gladiator looked waaaay more intimidating than the one I had to deal with.

Thier were three gladiators.  The first two came at me simultaneously trying to get me in the gut and chest.  I blocked them pretty well and got past them.  The one pictured then swung around and hit me in the back - hence the reason I am leaning forward so much!

You did well, you'll do even better next time, and you sprinted to the finish. That's nothing but win!!

Gracias.

Wow great job! I get the feeling we'll all be looking at your back at Fenway.

And the one Spartan I did before I had way too much in the tank. I had zero clue how to pace myself.

No way, man.  Remember, I'm planning on running it first thing in the morning, and then again with you guys.  I'm sure I'll be happy to do it at whatever pace the group is.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Challenge Mid-Way Update

Oof.  I have to get moving.

Week 2 was great in terms of the workouts.  I hit 100% on each of the running and workout goals.  I also completed one of my Main Quest goals in finishing the Spartan Sprint.

Week 3, on the other hand, was vacation week.  And, between the full schedule, and the near 2,000 miles of driving... well, I didn't do so well.  I didn't get a single run in last week.  Oof.  So, we'll call it a rest week.  Even if I wasn't really planning on one.  I hit 50% on the workouts having squeezed in a couple days of pushup/pullup routines.  I was planning on getting a third in yesterday afternoon after returning from camping... but, yeah the couch got in my way.  I did do miles and miles of walking through two days at Hershey Park.  And, we did a small group hike that was probably about 4-5 miles.  But, it certainly wasn't strenuous.  But, no running.  So, none of it counted.  I considered going for a run hike while camping, but the timing just didn't work out.

So, on my Goal Tracker Spreadsheet my final progress tally looks like this:

Completed Tasks
Massachusetts Sprint - 100%
Tri-State Super - 
Resume - 
4 Hour Work Week - 
Running Goal - 29.17%
Gym/Workout Goal - 33.33%

The Super hasn't happened yet.  And, the resume and book haven't even been begun yet.  So no completion status on those yet.  The last two however, should be at 50%.  That's a freaking problem.  Time to get moving.

So, we'll call it a rest week.

Ooo, I like that. Can I steal that one?

but, yeah the couch got in my way.

:lol:

Time to get moving.

Sprint to the finish! You got this!!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Recharging the soul is mighty important.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

If you want to check out some scenes of me clearing a few zones at the NE Sprint, here you go.

A couple of thoughts I had watching the clips.  I need to transition over the walls faster.  And, I need to get better at bear crawls.  (Admittedly, what you can see is after 100 yards or so of up and down bear crawl.  However... )  That's a huge pile of wood.  I swear you could actually see the flames while you were there that day.

If you want to check out some scenes of me clearing a few zones at the NE Sprint, here you go.

A couple of thoughts I had watching the clips.  I need to transition over the walls faster.  And, I need to get better at bear crawls.  (Admittedly, what you can see is after 100 yards or so of up and down bear crawl.  However... )  That's a huge pile of wood.  I swear you could actually see the flames while you were there that day.

Here were my thoughts:  that guy making the fire has the worst job ever - is his name Sisyphus?  And he's just tossing a single log on at a time.  LOL.

and then I thought:  why is that gladiator in jeans with no shirt?  Really?  LOL. 

and then I realized I was supposed to be looking at you jumping fire and beating gladiators.  lol.  I get distracted...

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

It's funny.  Until I saw the photo of me getting past that gladiator, I had no recollection of him wearing jeans.  Had I noticed it that day, I surely would have made fun of him while getting by.

Excellent Sisyphus reference.

The incline rope wall was about the midway point of the race.  Just before that obstacle, you had climbed a .5 mile hill, ran down a steep hill that was several hundred yards, grabbed a 60lb sand bag, hiked up and down that hill, dropped the sandbag, wall traverse - followed by burpees for me, climbed to the top of a 20 foot tall ladder structure, walked across a bridge made of 2x6's with several inch gaps so you could see the ground below just to fuck with your head, down the ladder and up that hill again.  The wall was about 3/4 of the way up the hill.  So, after a handful of tough obstacles... you are definitely not hitting that incline wall feeling tip-top.  Still, I need to get up and over faster.  The little slip at the top didn't help, but I want to shave seconds off each obstacle.  Because seconds add up to minutes.

The big guy that I passed at the fire had taken off with the Elite heat.  So, he had started a full 30 mins before I had.  He was clearly not an Elite racer.  But, I saw him from 100 yards or so out and decided that I was looking forward to rushing past him.  So, I did.

But, I saw him from 100 yards or so out and decided that I was looking forward to rushing past him.  So, I did.

YEAH you did!  sprint to the finish. 

I AM going the distance

Sprinting to the finish = full of win!! Awesome picks of the race.

Well, the next two ramp up in intensity quite a bit.  So, as far as polishing technique - yes, I guess you are correct - I will be hitting more obstacles.  But, at a much greater level of tiredness.  Not sure how good the form is going to be at that time. 

Both of the upcoming Spartans have been referred to as some of the more difficult courses available.  The Super should be all right.  It's 8-9 miles and the average finish times from last year aren't too bad.  The Beast is going to be a 13+ mile grindfest.  I have ideas on where I'd like to be time-wise.  But, having never done those races at those distances for time... the finish line is the primary goal.

OMG.  YES.

Highlights of things I loved;

"Don't be a baked potato.  Be a person."

Because of the "cool kid club"

alive.png

Because of my hatred for crunches....

crunches.png

and, just because the description is freaking awesome.

souls.png

Thank you, cline.  That was awesome.

The Beast is going to be a 13+ mile grindfest.  I have ideas on where I'd like to be time-wise.  But, having never done those races at those distances for time... the finish line is the primary goal.

Hmm, it's called the Beast, you've never done it before and it's more than 13 miles with obstacle thingees all over the place. Yep, sounds like finishing is a good place to start :P

Workout Update - 08.20

Was still feeling sluggish and didn't get up early enough to go to the gym or get in a run before work.

After work, hit the trails for what I was intending to be an easy 5ish miles.  My stomach had a few other ideas about a mile in, however.  At any rate, finished the 5 or so miles (GPS sucks in the woods) and headed on home.  When I got home, I supersetted the pushup-pullup routines.

Pushups - 16, 17, 14, 14, 20

Pullups - 3, 4, 3, 3, 4

Workout Update - 08.20

Was still feeling sluggish and didn't get up early enough to go to the gym or get in a run before work.

After work, hit the trails for what I was intending to be an easy 5ish miles.  My stomach had a few other ideas about a mile in, however.  At any rate, finished the 5 or so miles (GPS sucks in the woods) and headed on home.  When I got home, I supersetted the pushup-pullup routines.

Pushups - 16, 17, 14, 14, 20

Pullups - 3, 4, 3, 3, 4

Nice.  If I'd been lounging about in the woods, I would have handed you a grape flavored drink.

I AM going the distance

Pushup/Pullup supersets FTW! Talk about the original strength workout.

Nice.  If I'd been lounging about in the woods, I would have handed you a grape flavored drink.

Hmm, I guess that does sound better than a Pegasus testicle smoothie.

Hmm, I guess that does sound better than a Pegasus testicle smoothie.

NOTHING sounds better than that.

I AM going the distance

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines