Thrillho - Ideal Of A Beautiful Victory

Thrillho

The cries of frantic exultation faded from his ears as he slowly climbed the handful of steps, heavy footfalls carrying him closer to the arena. The months, the years of hard work, of strain and frustration and dedication, were about to be put to the test. Somewhere in the audience, he knew his family was watching. They claimed to have full faith in their father, absolute confidence that he would emerge victorious, and maybe they were telling the truth...

He just wished his own stomach would stop clenching with trepidation.

Eight massive pillars soared skyward, vanishing into the distant shadows above, the spaces between them filled with woven steel wires. The Octagon, Thrillho thought, stepping softly through the sole gate. It looks so much bigger on the inside.

With a screech and a clank, the gate was shut and locked behind him.  Strange how I can hear that, and nothing else, he mused.  The sounds of the crowd, chanting and screaming and the thunderous stomping of feet, were as waves breaking on a distant shore, washing over him. Far louder in his head were the hurricane gusts of his own breath, the pounding of blood behind his eyes... and the gentle padding of his opponent, pacing back and forth in anticipation.

Thrillho swallowed. He rolled his neck.  He swung his arms back, feeling the flex in his shoulders.  He hopped up into the air, bringing his knees to his chest and landing lightly on the balls of his feet.  His fists were bound, his ankles were wrapped, his mouth was guarded.

He bowed to his opponent, fell into an easy front stance, and beckoned his opponent to join him at the centre of the ring.

Bring it.

Mission #1 - Gird My Loins For Battle

There were many other steps Thrillho had to climb to reach this glorious moment.  For years, the aged, nearly decrepit former warrior had been all but bedridden, eating whenever the urge struck him and only rising from his endless array of comfortable seats when there was no alternative. When he finally shook off the cobwebs of lethargy and began to train once more, it was from a position of extremely advanced impotence.

But progress begets progress, and smaller gains gave way to larger gains. He began to lift greater and greater weights, soon surpassing the greatest accomplishments of his youth. He found teachers to impart wisdom, share technique and keep him motivated. The infirmity of his midsection was soon replaced with the strength of a mighty oak, his arms became like iron, his legs like pistons. He came to understand the workings of the human machine, and learned the ways to improve upon his designs.

Heavy lifts three times per week, with at least 10% gains by the end of 6 weeks.

Mission #2 - Register These Hands As Weapons

There was more to the human machine than just input and output, fuel and power.  The world’s strongest man would be as a neophyte in battle without the knowledge of how to strike, where to strike, and most importantly when to strike.  A fist that could crush a boulder is a fist that can easily be blocked or dodged by an opponent with superior knowledge.

Master Kaiten was all too willing to train the former warrior, seeing in his tremendous size a heart that refused to give up. Well versed in all manner of striking, Thrillho was eager to learn the esoteric and acrobatic techniques of this new style, but more than that he needed to fill in the gaps in his knowledge: the wrestling and grappling and ground-fighting styles that could render his skill with strikes useless.

Go To Kaiten MMA At Least Twice Per Week (starting mid-August). At Least Two Hours Of Bagwork Per Week.

Mission #3 - Trek To The Enemy Stronghold

The human machine was capable of tremendous torque and could operate for seemingly endless hours without tire, but pulling an elephant at the speed of an ant would be no help in combat.  Thrillho had strength, power and determination, but he lacked speed. He could jog, placid and indomitable, for as long as he pleased, but putting his head down and sprinting... there was an invisible wall that smote him, inside and out, and the wall was never far away.

Sprinting And Time Trials At Least Four Times Per Week.

Dietquest - An Army Marches On Its Stomach

For years, Thrillho’s sedentary, cloistered lifestyle was replete with the foods he craved as a youth: salts and fats and sugars and starches.  Left to his own devices, he ate of the fried potatoes with each meal, drank the burnt sugar drinks that left his mind sparkling and reeling, would only reach for a fruit or a vegetable on rare occasions and even then would simply smother them and hide them under something else.

No more.  Each meal must reflect another step on his quest for glory.  

Protein At Each Meal.  No Useless Snacking. Small Desserts, With My Family.

Lifequest - The Master Becomes The Student

Thrillho was not the only one learning from Master Kaiten... Thrillho’s eldest child and only son, Dark Junior, also pledged himself to the man’s teachings.  Born sickly, with joints that refused to support his weight and prevented him from exploring the world alongside his peers, Dark Junior’s heart and determination rivaled his father’s.  He was a tall, strong lad, but it was obvious that he was fighting his body’s infirmities every moment of every day.

Take Dark Junior To Kaiten MMA Twice A Week (starting mid-August).

Spar With Dark Junior Twice A Week.

Lift Weights With Dark Junior At Least Twice A Week.

jaa.jpg

Accountability - Post Every Day

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Hehehe, good call :) I made this music video for my son (Dark Junior is the internet name he picked for himself), after he discovered both DBZ and Cancer Bats,

XD Kingdom of Loathing.  Dark Junior is on there, too!

Lol just got back into KoL after two years last weekend.  Fun times :-)

Good luck Thrillho!  Sounds like the makings of a great training montage! :-D

Oh yeah Thrillho! I´m happy to see you ready to go! Excellent theme and presentation! 

I see this as a critical challenge for you, with all the obstacles to come. If you do this with as much awesome as you did the last one, you will wreck this. Never give up. We will be here supporting you as much as a bunch of paragraphs across the Web possibly can.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

That's freaking awesome.  Your son must be psyched to get to spend time with you and get stronger!  I hope you plan on giving us updates on Dark Junior's progress by the end, too! (Though as an aside, and a tip that I've been watching too much Dexter, calling your son Dark Junior only makes me think of serial killers in training.  Maybe I should think of it as Serial Killers of LAMENESS in training...)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Does it show how dorky and out-of-touch I am that I thought you were referring to Man-dark from Dexter's Laboratory?

I think either of those options are completely acceptable.

(Even if Mandark's real name is Susan.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Ok, that was still kind of funny :)

Pre-challenge update: Went to the pool last night with the kids.  All three managed to go off of the diving board, (a big move for ALL of them, 5, 7 and 11 year old).  The toughest holdout was the 7 year old, but I convinced her that if she went off the lowest diving board once (which she REALLY wanted to do, but was scared) then I would go off of the high-dive platform.

This stunned her, because everyone knows I am scared of heights.

OH MY F***ING GOD THAT WAS TERRIFYING.  It was like standing on top of a five-story building, and I'll swear it took like 30 seconds to drop down to the pool, even though I know objectively it was less than three seconds.  I got up there, walked right to the edge and didn't even pause, I didn't give myself ANY chance to be afraid, and just went right off the edge and dropped like the massive stone I am.

I came up, and a bunch of the super-fit guys on the other side of the pool were clapping, and my daughters were cheering "DADDY IS THE BEST DIVER IN THE WORLD" even though I just went in feet-first and nearly gave myself a heart attack.  My heart was POUNDING for probably ten minutes.  It's actually doing it a little now, just reliving it.

Then my son gave me a speech about how conquering fears was important, and if I go off that platform again NEXT time, he'll try something new, too.

<3

Hahaha, the challenge hasn´t even started and you are already kicking ass!

I have never dared to jump from the highest platform at my local pool and the middle one has been enough for me. Great work not giving fear a chance to change your mind. That´s why those guys must have been clapping: most people go up, look down and withdraw just as fast.

I think this is a good mental exercise for breaking barriers. Congrats! 

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

It's all a matter of intellectually knowing that it's totally safe.  A bunch of people went off it (feet first, but still), including several kids, so there's no logical reason a sturdily-built grownup can't do it.  Even one who is scared of heights.  I even did a flip on the low diving board.  It was ALMOST a flip and a half, because I got a lot more spring than I was expecting, but YEARS ago when I was a teenager I was great on the diving board.  I wanna get that back. 

Yikes! that one is gonna hurt!

Rolling cannonball doesn't hurt! Cannonballs are fine, even if you hit with your back, because it's curved.  You don't get the pancake effect. I just wanna do my best midair impression of Sonic the Hedgehog :) 

My kids are my inspiration, because I want nothing more for them than to conquer the little fears that are really affecting their lives these days, especially with the big move.  "Daddy, who is afraid of heights, just did a sub-orbital ballistic POOL STRIKE off the high-dive platform... maybe it wouldn't kill me to walk up to a kid and say hello."

Eh, I'm probably dreaming.  Anyways, I'll stop clogging my challenge with all this before its even started! Man, we're on page 2 already. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines