Thrillho - Ideal Of A Beautiful Victory

Thrillho

AUGH KISHI CHANGED AVATARS NOW I DON'T KNOW WHO ANYONE IS

At some point this weekend I will try to get my weight limits for the Big Five, so I know where to start on Monday.  I'm starting my son just with the empty bar. I think this is going to be good for him more than just physically, though... last night when I got the punching bag properly hung with the rubber straps (and discovered that it doesn't shake the house at all!), I was showing him some basic boxing and martial arts punches.  Anytime I corrected him, though (arm movement, posture, elbow or wrist position... you know, there's a lot of things to master), he would basically scream "SORRY!" and take several steps away from me. 

It took a lot of time to get through to him that I'm teaching him, and of course he doesn't know how to do it perfectly yet.  That's why I'm showing him. We never got to a full set of ten reverse punches, because around seven or eight he'd just sort of... stop.  I'd have to remind him that we're going to ten, which would create another "SORRY!!!" moment.  His frustration levels are staggeringly high from the absolute tiniest things, and his teachers (and his mom) have never really had the patience to deal with him and bring him back down slowly and carefully, and normally when I hang out with him it's specifically to do things that don't stress him out, so I rarely see him like this.  I'm hoping that I can be a good influence on the little guy.

20130128_164035_zps960f0994.jpg

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Your kids are absolutely awesome, Thrillho. If I can be half as good a mum as you are a dad, then I'll have reached my ultimate life goal. Seriously. Give your little kids a big hug from this little Mouse?

Also, this is something my (a year younger than me and older than me in wisdom by spades) teacher told me once: "take pride in being corrected - being corrected means you're worth teaching".

I don't know if it'll help Dark Junior, but it was a nice little nugget for thought for me, and it really helped me to see that, when someone gives me something to correct, it's the greatest opportunity. Because it means they're watching, they're paying attention and they're giving me a chance to surpass where I am right now.

That might be a bit too deep for a little guy - but the quote itself might do wonders. Though it might have to be someone other than Dad who says it to him.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

I don't think it's too deep for him at all, and I really think it probably should come from me.  He's fairly mistrustful of most grownups, after years of teachers and doctors who can't really do anything for him. Thanks, I am going to use it!

The cries of frantic exultation faded from his ears as he slowly climbed the handful of steps, heavy footfalls carrying him closer to the arena. The months, the years of hard work, of strain and frustration and dedication, were about to be put to the test. Somewhere in the audience, he knew his family was watching. They claimed to have full faith in their father, absolute confidence that he would emerge victorious, and maybe they were telling the truth...

He just wished his own stomach would stop clenching with trepidation.

Eight massive pillars soared skyward, vanishing into the distant shadows above, the spaces between them filled with woven steel wires. The Octagon, Thrillho thought, stepping softly through the sole gate. It looks so much bigger on the inside.

With a screech and a clank, the gate was shut and locked behind him.  Strange how I can hear that, and nothing else, he mused.  The sounds of the crowd, chanting and screaming and the thunderous stomping of feet, were as waves breaking on a distant shore, washing over him. Far louder in his head were the hurricane gusts of his own breath, the pounding of blood behind his eyes... and the gentle padding of his opponent, pacing back and forth in anticipation.

Thrillho swallowed. He rolled his neck.  He swung his arms back, feeling the flex in his shoulders.  He hopped up into the air, bringing his knees to his chest and landing lightly on the balls of his feet.  His fists were bound, his ankles were wrapped, his mouth was guarded.

He bowed to his opponent, fell into an easy front stance, and beckoned his opponent to join him at the centre of the ring.

Bring it.

Mission #1 - Gird My Loins For Battle

There were many other steps Thrillho had to climb to reach this glorious moment.  For years, the aged, nearly decrepit former warrior had been all but bedridden, eating whenever the urge struck him and only rising from his endless array of comfortable seats when there was no alternative. When he finally shook off the cobwebs of lethargy and began to train once more, it was from a position of extremely advanced impotence.

But progress begets progress, and smaller gains gave way to larger gains. He began to lift greater and greater weights, soon surpassing the greatest accomplishments of his youth. He found teachers to impart wisdom, share technique and keep him motivated. The infirmity of his midsection was soon replaced with the strength of a mighty oak, his arms became like iron, his legs like pistons. He came to understand the workings of the human machine, and learned the ways to improve upon his designs.

Heavy lifts three times per week, with at least 10% gains by the end of 6 weeks.

Mission #2 - Register These Hands As Weapons

There was more to the human machine than just input and output, fuel and power.  The world’s strongest man would be as a neophyte in battle without the knowledge of how to strike, where to strike, and most importantly when to strike.  A fist that could crush a boulder is a fist that can easily be blocked or dodged by an opponent with superior knowledge.

Master Kaiten was all too willing to train the former warrior, seeing in his tremendous size a heart that refused to give up. Well versed in all manner of striking, Thrillho was eager to learn the esoteric and acrobatic techniques of this new style, but more than that he needed to fill in the gaps in his knowledge: the wrestling and grappling and ground-fighting styles that could render his skill with strikes useless.

Go To Kaiten MMA At Least Twice Per Week (starting mid-August). At Least Two Hours Of Bagwork Per Week.

Mission #3 - Trek To The Enemy Stronghold

The human machine was capable of tremendous torque and could operate for seemingly endless hours without tire, but pulling an elephant at the speed of an ant would be no help in combat.  Thrillho had strength, power and determination, but he lacked speed. He could jog, placid and indomitable, for as long as he pleased, but putting his head down and sprinting... there was an invisible wall that smote him, inside and out, and the wall was never far away.

Sprinting And Time Trials At Least Four Times Per Week.

Dietquest - An Army Marches On Its Stomach

For years, Thrillho’s sedentary, cloistered lifestyle was replete with the foods he craved as a youth: salts and fats and sugars and starches.  Left to his own devices, he ate of the fried potatoes with each meal, drank the burnt sugar drinks that left his mind sparkling and reeling, would only reach for a fruit or a vegetable on rare occasions and even then would simply smother them and hide them under something else.

No more.  Each meal must reflect another step on his quest for glory.  

Protein At Each Meal.  No Useless Snacking. Small Desserts, With My Family.

Lifequest - The Master Becomes The Student

Thrillho was not the only one learning from Master Kaiten... Thrillho’s eldest child and only son, Dark Junior, also pledged himself to the man’s teachings.  Born sickly, with joints that refused to support his weight and prevented him from exploring the world alongside his peers, Dark Junior’s heart and determination rivaled his father’s.  He was a tall, strong lad, but it was obvious that he was fighting his body’s infirmities every moment of every day.

Take Dark Junior To Kaiten MMA Twice A Week (starting mid-August).

Spar With Dark Junior Twice A Week.

Lift Weights With Dark Junior At Least Twice A Week.

jaa.jpg

Accountability - Post Every Day

Great goal !!

Twice great ;)

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Day 1 (Monday): Urf.  Waking up was difficult, but after some coffee and a few minutes warming up, I was actually surprisingly limber.  When I came downstairs my son was already rolling out of bed and stretching his legs out, getting some water.  We did Workout A: Squats, Bench Press, Deadlifts.  I ended up adding ten pounds to all of mine by the fifth set, so I'm already off to a good start! :D We did empty bar with my son for bench and squat, and bar +10 for deadlifts so the bar was actually off the ground.  His bench press form started off terrible, but got pretty good by the fifth set, and his squat form was pretty good already since that's one of the major exercises he does for his arthritis. We just had to work on his lower back posture.  His deadlift form is atrocious, though, he can't quite seem to get the hang of straightening his legs AND back at the same time, he does one or the other.  Still, we got lots of time to work on it.  Also, because he talks NON STOP, I ended up being 10 minutes late for work, but that's not that bad... it's a monday, I'm still virtually the first person here. :D He was excited the whole time, we worked out some good warmups for him on the punching bag, we talked MMA and UFC, I explained DOMS to him, I explained freeweights vs machines, stabilizer muscles, why form is so important, etc etc etc, and he seemed to really absorb it all well.  His goal is to become stronger than me by the time he's 18, and I think that's a worthy goal. We're gonna work on more stepping-stone goals on Wednesday.  I then explained that post-workout you need protein, so he made a chorizo-gouda-dijon sandwich and a glass of milk while I was in the shower (this kid LOVES the deli), and I'm gonna start stocking up on eggs since he loves to make scrambled eggs.   Also, as a boost to my self-esteem, he mentioned many times that, from one year before, a) my belly was smaller, B) my shoulders were bigger, c) my biceps were visible when doing bench press and d) I seemed a LOT happier / less cranky.  All of these are true, but it's nice to hear anyways.  I explained that lifting is responsible for a lot of my belly going away, and he's very down about his own belly (he's maybe 10-15 lbs heavier than the average kid his age, and it really depresses him) so he's stoked that POWERLIFTING burns fat.  He was told, by his DOCTORS, that he needs cardio to lose bodyfat, and he can't DO cardio because of his knees, so his doctors basically told him "You're stuck this way".  Thanks, jerkasses.  I WILL FIX HIM MYSELF.

Ok, that's it for today.  Game on!

Good stuff Thrillho, glad to see you getting the family involved too!

Way too many parents do nothing to keep their kids active.

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

We've always been all about keeping the kids active in as many things as possible, right from day 1.  Me and my wife both know we're not the most active people in the world, and WAY too many kids do nothing but hang out and watch TV and play on the computer, so we're those irritating parents that are all "Let's go for a walk! Who wants to sign up for soccer? Go play in traffic!"

Playing in traffic is a vital component of a healthy childhood.  Dodging cars improves reflexes.  True fact.

In all seriousness, you may be the best dad ever to be getting your son interested in fitness the way you are.  Kudos to you, man.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Aside: Also showed my daughter some basic dumbell exercises she can do, and that Powerlifting Pixie video to reassure her you don't need to be super-ripped and muscular-looking to be badass strong. 

Another aside... you guys are seriously making me blush.  I don't think it's OMGWTFAMAZING anything I'm doing, I'm just trying to be the sort of parent my kids brag about. They want to learn stuff, I want to teach. But thanks so much  :redface:

Man, Thillho,

We just started and you already have so much awesome to share!

1. Awesome challenge

2. Awesome PRE-CHALLENGE!! Facing you fears, especially in front of your kids is a great learning experience for you and you kids. If I were there, I would've busted out in applause right there with them. Kishi was all kinds of right: your kids are always watching you and you can show them to be brave. You rock.

3. Your boy is adorable!

4. Your daughter is also working out?? See what an awesome influence you are!

Im looking forward to seeing you and them grow! :)

I did a cannonball flip off of the high springboard tonight (we went to the pool without the HIGH dive platforms).  The first one hit my back, and the second one my wife sears carried me 2/3 of the way across that portion of the pool (it's a smaller square), and she did confirm I did nearly 2 full rotations and went in face-first, as my cannonball sort of collapsed towards the end due to G-forces.

I am SO freaking tired right now.  The squats didn't cause soreness until I got out of my pool. 

MY LEGS DON'T WORK ANYMORE.

Cardio day tomorrow! Not sure how, as my bike still doesn't work.  Planning to go for a jog in the morning.

Playing in traffic is a vital component of a healthy childhood.  Dodging cars improves reflexes.  True fact.

In all seriousness, you may be the best dad ever to be getting your son interested in fitness the way you are.  Kudos to you, man.

I think that's the idea behind the "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" mentality.  And I second the Kudos.  I wish my parents had pushed me the way you are, instead of trying to dump me off on things I didn't enjoy (seriously, they had me for years doing basketball, which I hated, and then in High school told me to go do track.  I hated both.  Only good thing they signed me up for was karate, and I was a stupid teenager for stopping.)

Another aside... you guys are seriously making me blush.  I don't think it's OMGWTFAMAZING anything I'm doing, I'm just trying to be the sort of parent my kids brag about. They want to learn stuff, I want to teach. But thanks so much  :redface:

Well if you stop being so awesome, we'll stop making you blush. 

Also, I saw these while driving the other day, geeked out a bit lot, and immediately thought "I really hope Thrillo has these on his car."

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

... actually, we do have those on our car.  o.O Kind of worried now.  I'm Chewie, my wife is Leia-With-A-Gun, my son is mini-Boba-Fett, older girl is Padme-With-A-Gun, youngest is R2. :D

And we do push them, but me and my wife both spent YEARS and YEARS doing CRAP we HATED, and we want our kids to be in things they ENJOY for two reasons: one, they'll enjoy it, and two, we can't afford to put them in stuff they hate. We can be selfish.

Day 2 (Tuesday): OW ow ow ow ow ow ow ow my legs ow ow ow ow ow ow. Morning jogging became "sleeping in".  I am going to hustle my bustle around the track tonight and try to get my times for 5 and 10 laps, my new benchmark.  Otherwise, just a slightly more chill protein day, and I think we're staying in tonight. We're also getting a family membership to the pool, since honestly the kids love the pool more than anything else in the world (except for my son and ju-jitsu). 

EDIT: And to test my monk-like resolve and concentration, I'm being sued!  Awesome.  

No no, it has to be for being all "correct parent"-like.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Nope, it's because our tenant has gone off the COMPLETE DEEP END, refuses to pay her rent until we correct the "uninhabitable condition of this residence, the hideous stench, the unconscionable stains and damages..." which is exactly what she did at the place she just moved OUT of.  

My wife is like a superhero, and awesome in all the ways I am not.  She's already handled the eviction proceedings, put our home back on the market, found a showing for THIS AFTERNOON, and lined up a tenant for September, a person we know and like. 

He was told, by his DOCTORS, that he needs cardio to lose bodyfat, and he can't DO cardio because of his knees, so his doctors basically told him "You're stuck this way".  Thanks, jerkasses.  I WILL FIX HIM MYSELF.

Then be sure to parade in front of those crap docs when all is said and done. I´ll love to see them explaining how you did what they considered impossible.

Nope, it's because our tenant has gone off the COMPLETE DEEP END, refuses to pay her rent until we correct the "uninhabitable condition of this residence, the hideous stench, the unconscionable stains and damages..." which is exactly what she did at the place she just moved OUT of.  

My wife is like a superhero, and awesome in all the ways I am not.  She's already handled the eviction proceedings, put our home back on the market, found a showing for THIS AFTERNOON, and lined up a tenant for September, a person we know and like. 

Blarg. Good thing your wife took care of that. How frustrating!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

So she just emailed to flat out say: I am moving in , I won't pay, and we both know it's not worth it to pursue me for the money. I will be there every time the realtor shows your home to tell them the truth about you. If only you had been a grown up about all this.

Shortly afterwards, she insulted our children (something along the lines of "how could you raise them in this filth"), promised to TRASH it before she left in order to return it to the 'horrendous condition she originally found herself in', and then threatend my wife's father when on our behalf as a realtor and financial agent, he called her up to discuss the matter. Thanks to knowing the right people and having a hotline, locksmiths are at our home RIGHT NOW, changing all of the locks. New keys will be dropped off with the OK Falls Volunteer Fire Department, who are happy to help.

Day 3 (Wednesday): Eurgh.  I got to sleep at 3am, my son got me up at 6am to work out.  I did the squats with greatly reduced weight, because OH MY GLOB my legs hurt, but I did the OHP and bent rows with full weight.  His OHP form is... odd.  Somehow his wrists are splaying outwards in a manner I can't actually replicate, and I TRIED.  I tried to show him what he was doing, but I can't make my wrists do whatever his are doing.  We're working on form correction.  He worked up a tiny sweat and he's already wondering when we can increase the weight, which I think is a good incentive for him to go slower and perfect his form. I worked up a good sweat with the OHP, so I'm happy there.

Also, she called the cops again, is freaking out about how we 'scammed' her (despite giving her money back), and is fully prepared as a childless professional with a lot of disposable income and free time to make this issue a LIVING HELL for us.  I'm hoping I can throw all of my stress into working out, but right now all I want to do is sleep.  Pleh.

One punching bag and the memory of her face. That is all you need right now. 

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

One punching bag and the memory of her face. That is all you need right now. 

HA! Perfect. Im sure you can arrange this. 

Also, geez, you think people who have an ability to reason would use it. I work in an Energency Room in an area that is....let's say... inner city. People continue to surprise me everyday.

And as for you son's technique; sometimes the younger ones are able to position themselves in a beneficial way due to their flexiblilty. It could be hyperextension, though.

I have some training with lifting techniques. If you'd be willing to post a pic of him in the OHP position, then I can help you out if you'd like.

Day 4 (Thursday): It's amazing what nine hours of sleep will do.  We're no longer OMG terrified for the immediate future, and we're trying to make the inconvenience work for us, since we all have to take a trip down south this weekend to investigate the condition of the home.  We're going to visit with friends and family and hit three separate farmers' markets, too, and stock up on fruits and veggies, and help out at the farm.  Farm work is good cardio. Also, YAY I can pick jalapenoes again!  Yesterday was a bit of a slacker day, considering I was operating on so little sleep, and tonight it's family time at the pool so there's several more hours of exercise, and I want to try punching myself out before bed.  Er... by using the punching bag. 

Sorry for the cranky Thrillho this week!

I think it's just weak arms, he can position himself for bent rows just fine, but OHP it's like he suddenly acquires  tentacles.  We're working on it!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines