• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thrillho

Thrillho - Ideal Of A Beautiful Victory

o.O

I'm jealous of all of y'all for way more reasons than "his basement isn't COMPLETELY packed to the rafters with crap"... but thanks!

My wife signed me up for a 5K run in September.  I do my self-testing times tonight.  Eep.

Oh man! Your very own gym! Unopened Boxes? You mean the practical lift training waiting to happen?

I see your wife is pushing you into the right direction! All the great fighters gotta have endurance to keep up all the fight, a 5K is a good way to achieve/test that endurance!

Day 14 (Sunday):  Hauling more boxes, packing and unpacking all morning, sweating the entire time.  Late afternoon, after I'd rested for a little bit, we all went to the oval track, so me and my son could get our jogging times.  He was positive that "on his last lap" he would sprint, in order to use up all of his energy.  I was, sadly, not as surprised as he was to see him slow to a walk after about half a lap, with a few fitful starts and stops.  His second lap was a minute slower than his first, and then he was out, so it seems that, for now, at least, his dreams of running a 5K are a little... dashed. (Puts on sunglasses, YEEEAAAHHH sound, but I feel really bad for that joke so it evens out).  My own times were less than stellar (2:05, 2:19, 2:28, 2:15), putting me at about 9:07 for one mile.  I think I was under-estimating my mile distance back home, because I know this FELT faster, but I also KNOW this is a 400m oval. So... yeah.  Oh well.

Day 15 (Monday): Right off the bad, a bit of a bummer: I managed to find the last cable to hook up the Wii (without sound, but who cares) and found the Fit board, so I weighed myself first thing in the morning.  After FOUR MONTHS of carefully controlled diet, exercise and lifting, I have lost... four pounds.  

aarrgghh11.jpg

I suppose it's not all that bad, since a) I know for a fact I've gotten stronger, b.) I know for a fact my pants are looser, c.) I know for a fact my legs are slimmer, and d.) I know for a fact my shoulders are bigger, ERGO I have lost fat and gained muscle... but I was REALLY hoping to see some better numbers there.  Argh.  First big day of lifting with my son, too, now that we have our own bars and we can go faster, and do squats and deadlifts facing eachother so I can check his form while he checks mine.  Went a lot faster, and managed to get a few extra reps out of him!

DSCF3314_zps1b69d133.jpg

DSCF3320_zps4c8fd844.jpg

(He was a little laggy by the deadlifts)

DSCF3322_zps4ef7059f.jpg

Form looks pretty good on that squat.  One thing to watch, and I only know this because it's a habit I am still trying to break, is the bent wrists on the grip of the bar.  That bent wrist has the potential to put some of the load onto the wrist, which is super bad.

But don't take my word for it!  Mark Rippetoe is way smarter than me.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_squat_bar_position

This is about a 20 minute video, and it is pretty dry, but it is also super detailed and has Rip pointing out all of the problem places in hand and wrist position and why one should do those things.  I watch this thing about once a month to remind myself.

We're working on that, but unless he has a really firm grip on the bar, it just goes COMPLETELY off-balance. He can't quite get his arms high enough to support it without adding to the load.  Mobility and range-of-motion is one of the reasons we're doing this. 

A ) Very jealous of your own workout space.  I've been trying to figure one out at my house, but it ends up being either on my porch or a place in my dining room, which I don't want.

B) I'm so glad your son is doing so well working out with you!

C) A 9-minute mile ain't nothing to sniff at.

D) I hear you on the "months of careful diet and barely any loss" part - the last 5-ish pounds I lost took a few months to vanish... and I don't have an awesome lift space to help me get stronger. :(

This isn't my last five, I've still got like SIXTY to go... but I've completely bottomed out, weight wise.  I am losing the FAT and building the MUSCLE, but there's STILL so much jiggle to get rid of.

COME ON, BODY.  WHAT THE HELL.

I was so, so lucky to get this little zone for my weights.  A year ago, I don't think it would have flown, for me to use that much floorspace just for weights, but I think my wife likes what it's doing for me, and how much my son is into it. 

The benefits outweigh the costs. It's all good. And you know, I've kind of found that I'm a lot happier away from the scale. I step back on it once every couple weeks or so just to make some minor adjustments to dietary numbers, but beyond that... I find that I'm just calmer and more mellow without those cursed digits glaring up at me.

I agree very much.  I hadn't weighed myself for four months, so I was hoping to get some SWEET numbers as a reward, but it was basically the Magic 8-Ball saying "Unsure, Try Again Later". 

Back to no weighing, more cottage cheese and poached eggs!

UPDATE: Oh my glob my arms hurt SOOOOOOoooooooo.......... much right now.  I bench-pressed myself to within an inch of my life this morning. 

Update: Yup, all signed up for "Storm The Hill", 5K Run, September 8th.  Last day of this 6-Week Challenge.

It's like it was MEANT to happen.

My wife is going to get me a shirt that says on the back:

FAT

FIRST RACE

NO SPANDEX

&

AHEAD OF YOU

BAHAHAHHAA! Nice shirt logo!

And I agree with RP: A 9 min mile ain't nothing to sniff at. 

And loosing inches!!! That's WAY better than loosing pounds! But yes, I know, the numbers can be frustrating. Your body has to shift and sometimes that means a weight plateau for a while. That's just when you need to push through. EWE CON DEW EEEEET!

P.S. Your son looks like he is doing awesome! :)

Yeah, he's a big kid.  He's 11 years old, 5'3 and about 110 lbs.  He's taller than the Safety Advisor at my office, and weighs more than my mom.

Day 16 (Tuesday): AAARRGGGHHH MY ARMS.  I really doubt I'm gonna be doing much in the way of OHP tomorrow, my arms and chest are wrecked from yesterday.  On the other hand, I'm finally working out the upper body hard enough! I slept in, heavy-proteined to help rebuild everything I broke yesterday, and planning to go for a full 5K test run tonight while my kids watch Wipeout. A really good run really knocks me out and helps me sleep, which is good if I've got to do upper body tomorrow. 

No run tonight.  Kids sort of occupied all of my time, and it took me two pauses to pull off the punching challenge (video posted!)

Run... tomorry? :)

Day 17 (Wednesday): Man, my body is confusing.  Despite the aches and exhaustion, I managed my 5x5 OHP about as well as last time when I was well-rested and pumped up.  Can't increase the weight yet, since the final rep on the final set AAAAAALMOST killed me.  I think I need to up my squats another 10lbs, which is good.  Gotta train these legs! Knuckles are sore this morning from 1000 power punches, can't wait until they heal up so I can destroy them again. My boy had to do OHP with a completely empty bar, he couldn't even move it this morning.  Not sure what that was.  He started to get really frustrated.  Managed 13 extra on his final set of squats, so yeah, gotta up the weight there, and he did the full-power bent rows.  

OH, and I also took out 'Practising Jeet Kune Do' from the library.  Gonna try and spend ten minutes on each form per day, gotta incorporate a few more things into my arsenal.

OHP is just a very hard move. I've had to point this out before for people, but it's the one move that just stymies everyone. If you have it as part of a program, it'll be the first one to stall, and the hardest one to advance.

Your son's in good company, promise. Just keep working at it.

OHP is just a very hard move. I've had to point this out before for people, but it's the one move that just stymies everyone. If you have it as part of a program, it'll be the first one to stall, and the hardest one to advance.

Your son's in good company, promise. Just keep working at it.

+1

It is very technical. Most people either cant do it, or it is their foil.

and +1 to the good company :)

Day 18 (Thursday): Argh, my back now! Just persistent soreness.  Generally feeling good.  I feel like I am eating too much, but it's all good food (except for my Aztec hot chocolate... mmm) so... I dunno? I also think that my stomach has shrunk again, so feeling like I'm eating too much is probably partially due to that. Still have put off my jogging.  Gotta stop doing that, but my nights fill up so much so fast. Had to emergency babysit our neighbors kids last night, then bathe my own, then Wipeout, then stories and bed, and then it was 10:30 and I just wanted to read my JKD book a bit and pass out. 

Also, showed my youngest the Powerlifting Pixie video, after she also became a little annoyed that girls almost never make it to the final round on Wipeout, and never actually win, because the boys are always bigger and stronger (and her older sister, who is only seven, has already independently reached the conclusion that it's stupid that girls in media exist as love interests, or to be rescued.) My youngest then put on her purple shades, and we had this exchange:

Ophelia: "I am the Healthinator. I need to see your chocolate."
Myself: "I don't have any chocolate."
Ophelia: "Let me examine your chocolate, sir!!"
Myself: "Oh! Er... uhm... ok, here you go."
Ophelia: "Hmmm, yes. I can see this is high in sugar and candy, so you shouldn't feed this to kids. I'm going to have to take this, sir."

So, that's probably not good.  Back hurt all day, felt like I pulled a muscle.  Kept getting worse and worse, to the point where a sympathy pain formed on the front (does anyone else get those?)  I ask my daughter to walk on my back (they love that) but she can't stand in one place (it's PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE, she's five) so my wife asks if she needs to massage it.  I point to roughly where it is, and she starts to press around that area, saying "Here? Here? He... JESUS! It feels like there's a battery under your skin! You walked around with this all day?"

Fun fact: when your body produces (apparent) metallic tubes in self defense, you need to lay off that muscle for a while.  Ow.

According to this handy map of humans, it's near the top-middle of my latissimus dorsi, or it's one of the serratus muscles.

back-muscles.jpg