• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

OllieFox

#4 OllieFox is off to visit an Alley Cat

Once upon a time, there was a little fox. This little fox led a tumultuous life growing up. There was much moving from den to den, much coming and going of others, much instability... the little fox learned how to make new friends easily but never really learned how to communicate in long term relationships. This made it very hard for the little fox to tell other things when they did something that upset her and she became very insecure and closed up... It didn't help that everyone seemed better than her but she could never bring herself to ask them for help or advice. Bear was stronger, Wolf was faster, Owl was wiser, Otter was happier...

After several startling incidents and revelations, the little fox decided that she was quite done with not being who she wanted to be. She wanted to have boon companions, be stronger, go on adventures, and to never feel like she was useless again. She knew there was at least one thing she could do better than anyone else; she could be a better OllieFox than anyone else. To do that though, she had to become the very best that she could be by trying her best to be who she wanted to be.

Now this would take some doing. OllieFox decided this would require more knowledge than she currently had. She gathered her courage and left her den. While strolling through the forest though, she came to a curious sight. Several interesting looking characters were standing around and having a good natured argument about what was the best way to be your best. Her ears perked up. This is exactly what she wanted to know! She scrambled up a rock for a better view and tucked her tail around her paws.

The dark, hooded one thought that mastering ones self and environment that best way to go. The calm and serene one agreed with mastering ones self but thought mastering the mind equally important. The lithe, barefooted one argued only by traveling far and wide by any means that challenged yourself was best. The lean, muscular one pointed that by mastering different marital arts that you could get stronger and challenge others. The one that looked capable of giving Bear a run for his money simply stated that there are always heavier things to lift. One of the remaining two cocked their head, asking why anyone had pick one way and not just be well rounded? The last individual cheerfully grinned and went to shrug, having not decided which way was best for them yet, but spied OllieFox in the process. "What do you think little fox?"

OllieFox was flabbergasted. Why would they want to know her opinion? How was she to know which way was best for herself, let alone anyone else? The cheerful, grinning one smiled even wider at her discomfort. "Why don't you come adventuring with us and see if you can discover the answer that way?" Olliefox pondered this. She did want to be more adventurous. This seemed like an excellent, not to mention welcoming place to start.

Now that I have seriously abused my long disused, creative muses (and trust me, they did protest. I faced writer's block, at-a-loss-for-the-right-word, and general disruptions), it is time to get down to my first Quest (but fourth Challenge)! I didn't realize how much I missed writing. Starting measurements will come a little later.

The Adventurer, as OllieFox learned to call the cheerful smiler, asked her an interesting question as they continued through the forest, "Every adventurer has a quest to complete, no matter how strong they are. What's your quest, little fox?" OllieFox contemplated this. She wanted to be the best that she could be. No one could beat her at being her. Adventurer thought that was a little broad. "That's more like the purpose of your quest series. Think a little smaller." Well the first step to being better would be to get stronger. The first step to that though, would be to try new things to figure out what she liked to do to get stronger. Adventurer thought this was an excellent first Quest. He told her to make a strategy plan to help her tackle her Quest. OllieFox snorted. Silly Adventurer. Foxes didn't make plans... but maybe they should. Might not get caught in the chicken coop so often then.

1.) Eating healthy in chaos - My schedule is extremely chaotic for the next six weeks. I fly home next Friday, leave for a road trip the day after, on vacation for a week, fly home, fly back to work, work for two weeks, fly home in time for uni to start. My goal is to continue the healthy eating habits of developed in the past couple of challenges. This means no fast food, careful choices at restaurants, not just taking the easy route for snacks and meals because I'm busy, and so on. CON: 3

2.) Defeat the nines - I've been wall climbing a couple times a week for the last few weeks. I'm really enjoying getting back into it. I can currently do some 5.8 routes but not all. My goal is to beat all the 5.8s and 5.9s by the end of this challenge. This might be a little ambitious but I have a good climbing partner who really helps to push me. STR: 3 DEX: 2

3.) Try at least one new physical activity every week - I want to be more adventurous. A good way to do this and get stronger is to try something new! Hopefully I'll discover more activities I enjoy doing which gives me more ways to stay active. STA: 2 DEX: 1 STR: 2

Life Quest - on a side note, I'm also focusing on trying hard to do really well in my last year of my degree. I'm going to start forming good habits by really cracking down on my online math homework this challenge. I'm assigning this 2 WIS. Even foxes need to know how to count.

OLLIE! Welcome back, my friend. Good to see you back. I am excited about the progress you make this challenge, especially with the current schedule ahead of you. :-> looking forward to your updates. 

Hey!

Great to see you back.

Always hard to stick with goals when life is so busy, but great to see you have thought about that in your planning!

Any ideas what new physical activites you are going to try first?

Good luck in your challenge!

Hello my fine ladies! The schedule is going to be insane but I thought very, very carefully this time. I even made a much highlighted mini calendar :D Thanks for the encouraging words (I'm going to need them!)

Arilian Princess, I'm a double major in geology and geophysics... I'm thinking of downgrading to a major in geology and a minor in geophysics though. I don't really like physics that much ;) Ahaha I will defined insane schedules everywhere!

GypsyHeart, so far paddle boarding, bouldering, caving, maybe river kayaking, and maybe squash (I have a paranoia of bouncy balls... they usually find my face) are all on the list.

Ooooh before I forget again, the starting challenge measurements:

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 140 lbs (I think... last time I checked it was... three weeks ago... :P)

Waist: 28.5"

Hips: 37.5"

Forearm: 10"

Wrist: 6"

Neck: 12.5"

Calculated Body Fat percentage: Huh... apparently I'm at 23.5%

(I use an online calculator, which means that's probably not the right percentage, but since it's the same calculator every time, it's at least a consistent "wrong". This way I can at least get relative change!) I got stuck at the 25% mark a couple challenges back and decided to not worry about that as a goal for a while. Looks like it took care of its self!

Geology and geophysics, good on you! One day I will go back to school, right now I will just content myself to continue through corrospondance. Of which I need to dust off my text book.

Kayaking is great fun, definately something to try!

Geology and geophysics, good on you! One day I will go back to school, right now I will just content myself to continue through corrospondance. Of which I need to dust off my text book.

Kayaking is great fun, definately something to try!

Hey doing long distance/online classes is still educating yourself! I've been ocean kayaking before but not river kayaking. It will be interesting to see the difference between the two.

Update time:

1.) Eating healthy in chaos - With this week being incredibly busy (the flying and road tripping all start this week), I actually planned my meals. Epic win! I made two kinds of stir fry, a chicken one and a beef one, so that the only thing I need to make during the week is whatever I want to put it on. I did have pop tarts for breakfast today though (I was super busy and my roommate decided I needed something even if it was pure sugar)... that's my "cheat" for the week.

2.) Defeat the nines - This one is being so totally owned! Two out of the three 5.8s have been defeated and the last 5.8 ("Leadership skillz") just has one tricky spot I need to master. Then it's on to the 5.9s!

3.) Try at least one new physical activity every week - I went seriously bouldering for the first time last night. A friend of a friend came climbing with us to our usual climbing place. He normally boulders and I normally climb, so we helped each other out! He showed me how to do a few different kinds of starts (like lunge starts and seated starts) and walked me through a few bouldering problems (that's apparently the proper term for bouldering routes) to introduce me to some different techniques to "solve" them. I really enjoyed it! Now I have more ways to climb! Plus when I can't find someone to climb with bouldering is something similar I can do on my own :D

Story Update time: 

OllieFox awoke to a sunny morning and carefully stretched along her branch. Mid-stretched she paused and looked out of her tree to see all seven representatives of the Rebellion looking up at her with varying degrees of amusement. While a fox in a tree isn't unheard of, it's still an unusual enough sight to make people pause. They waited while she worked her way down. 

The Adventurer stepped forward. "I know you've done several challenges and you've started your quest as an Adventurer. It might be time for you to start considering a more specific path. We have Rangers, Scouts, Warriors, Druids, Assassins, Monks, and you're always welcome to stay longer as an Adventurer!" OllieFox cocked her head. She certainly wasn't a Warrior or a Monk. She liked lifting and she like the flow of martial arts but neither were her passion. Foxes did enjoy a good run but it wasn't her thing either, so not the Scouts... Rangers probably weren't a good fit then either. 

OllieFox cocked her head the other way. She liked to climb, dance, use the surrounding environment as her playground. She liked to bend, twist, and stretch while meditating in the sun. "I think I'll be ready to be an Assassin or Druid one day... but not quite yet." The Druid and Assassin smiled. The others nodded knowingly. The tree stretching had kind of tipped them off.

(PS this is what an OllieFox looks like!)

redfox_FoxInTree%20(1).jpg

I still have to figured out how actual foxes get back out the tree. A google session might be in order.

For a while now I've been pondering what group I would be best suited for... I've tried to do something from each one and nothing seemed to stick. So I decided trying to figure what I did like doing. The growing trend last challenge and this challenge seem to be assassin or druid. Physically, all my favourite activities fall in the assassin category but my mindset seems to more druidish... and I hate wearing a lot of black!

I leave for my vacation tomorrow morning, so it might be a few days before I check back in but I'm still aiming for every few days! It's time to go see the Alley Cat <3

Aw cute fox picture :) :)

And well done on nailing the first week. It's all about the preparation to see you through. Bit of a rubbishy first week for me but keeping on at it!

Look forward to hearing your next updates.

Super quick check in! 

1.) Eating healthy in chaos - I'm actually impressed with how well this has gone this week. I had a couple of meals (of the "let's go out for dinner" variety) where I've just thrown up my hands and given up for the meal but other than that I've been able to keep things right on track! My aunts are fitness nuts so we were able to swap healthy eating tips and tricks!

2.) Defeat the nines - Well I've been away from the climbing wall so no progress here... might be climbing on Sunday though! Did do an advance treetop obstacle course though.

3.) Try at least one new physical activity every week- So far I've tried kayaking in a two person kayak, spent a whole day paddle boarding, and will be caving on Saturday! 

I'll give a more detailed account on Monday when my vacation's over!

Story Update:

OllieFox narrowed her eyes at the dark storm clouds rolling in. She had had quite enough the rain. The constant, plan-ruining, cold, dark dampness was making her grumpy. It was most definitely time for a vacation. Somewhere hot, sunny, and not raining preferably with beach and other places to explore. OllieFox decided it was time to visit AlleyCat. She was heartily tired of chickens too. Some nice fish was in order.

Now this required some planning. AlleyCat lived on an island a whole province and a half away. OllieFox decided that best way to get from A to D was to stop at B and C along the way too visit family. Stop B involved visiting her aunt and three small cousins, which meant running around, lots of yelling, jumping on things, and oddly enough hula hooping. Stop C involved visiting her other aunts, a hike to a glacier lake, a beach day, and an adventure in a two person kayak (which was much more difficult than a one person kayak since you have to coordinate with the rower in front of you). 

Finally the day to board the ferry from the mainland arrived! OllieFox gleefully claimed a window seat and watch the mainland slip away from sight as the ferry slowly made its ponderous way out of the port. The sun was shining, nary a cloud was to be seen, and she was going to see a friend she hadn't seen in forever. When she bounded off the ferry, she was promptly pounced on by a delighted AlleyCat, much to some clucking, old hen's disapproval. Apparently, OllieFox could escape the rain but not chickens.

Their first adventure was to go stand up paddle boarding! It was so much fun! The water was incredibly clear and the perfect temperature. After their morning class, they took their boards out to some tidal flats. Starfish of every colour, crabs of every size, birds of every type abounded every where. There was even one big, fat sea anemone that was waving it's tentacles a passing little fish while the bigger flounders darted away from their boards shadows. They finished the day with a round of yoga to stretch all their tired muscles.

The next adventure was a tree top obstacle course. There were challenges, ropes to swing on, nets to climb, ziplines, ladders... you name. OllieFox was delighted by this but ironically AlleyCat wasn't... she wasn't overly fond of heights... actually she was downright terrified of them. So while OllieFox tested her physical abilities, AlleyCat bravely worked on conquering her fear of heights. They both did very, very well.

Now at some point in their adventures, AlleyCat injured one of her paws. They still had caving on their list of adventures. AlleyCat was very upset about this. Not about not being able to go caving (she also wasn't fond of tight spaces) but because she knew OllieFox really wanted to go. So being the clever cat she was, she encouraged her mate (another old friend of OllieFox's) to go in her place. It was amazing! OllieFox and WesCat got to hike a forest trail, squeeze through cracks and tunnels, climb a small waterfall, and look at natural calcite statues.

OllieFox returned to her Northern forest a very content and tired fox. She had a clear mind now and was able to make several very important decisions. There was an announcement to be made. She sought out the others and regaled them with her adventures before making her announcement. "I have decided to be an assassin!"

Yay! It sounds like you had an awesome time, so many new things tried.

Your stories really draw me in, I clapped in glee with Ollie announcement...

Thank! I'm really trying :) Writing a story makes me check in more.

To summarize for the past couple of weeks:

1.) Eating healthy in chaos - I'm very happy with how I've been eating. I stuck to my usual diet for the most part, despite all the traveling, with only the occasional slip ups (I had pasta a couple of times :P... and ice cream).

2.) Defeat the nines - I did go climbing at a different gym on Sunday. Their standard for making routes is a little harder than the gym I usually go to (the new gym is exclusively a climbing and bouldering gym), so I was more of 5.7 to 5.8 rather than a 5.8 to 5.9. That being said, I was a K2 for bouldering rather than a K1. I'm back to my normal gym on Friday though!

3.) Try at least one new physical activity every week- So for week 1, it was bouldering. Week 2 it was paddleboarding (which I very STRONGLY RECOMMEND if you have any love of water sports). This week it was caving (technically it was done on the Saturday, which is more like last week buuut I figure a little leeway in where I can assign things right?  :hopelessness: ) I think next week I might try squash... we'll see.

And this week is the math crack down. My text book will once more be blinded by the light of day!

Argh I just ate a chocolate bar and I hate myself forever now! I didn't pack enough for lunch and I started to get the shakes... infinite sadness but I needed to eat something. I really should restock my zombie apocalypse desk rations.

Yeah don't stress about the chocolate, if you are getting to the stage where your body is getting the shakes then you clearly needed it! It's just a lesson to try and prepare ahead which you have clearly learned from.

You're doing great!

I'm prone to dramatic behaviour in noncritical situations :D I was a drama kid. Please forgive my sins! Ummm I only hated myself for an hour. My desk is restocked with enough stuff to get me to the end of my work term next Thursday (I'm thoroughly convinced that if a zombie outbreak was to occur, it would happen on Monday. Because Mondays are Mondays and I only have one more to go up here). I'm excited and sad to be going home.

Goal update for the past week:

1) Eating right: This went pretty well... minus the insidious chocolate bar! There was a farewell dinner for the Mining students, so I did eat out one night. I ended up getting beer poisoning (or something similar). It was the weirdest thing. One other guy and myself started getting wicked stomach cramps and he even ended throwing up :( The only thing we both had that was the same and no one else had, was Grasshopper beer. He had two and I had one, which explains why he got so much sicker than me. All that being said, I have decided to limit wheat/similar grains in my diet again and a bad beer incident is the perfect excuse to do it!

2) Defeating the 5.9s - So all the 5.8s have been defeated! I have started to pick away at the 5.9s. There's five or six routes and I've beat one cleanly, almost beat another, and I have started practicing the starts for two more. On a whim I decided to finish climbing yesterday by attempting a 5.10, which is a big leap in difficulty for someone just starting 5.9s! Imagine my surprise when I made almost all to the way top (I was one hold shy of the top when I slipped out). Between my particular climbing style, me magically the one route that would work for me, and the fact that a super awesome dude climbing the route next to mine kindly guided me up the route, I was able to almost make it. I was insufferably proud of myself afterwards :D

3) Trying something new each week - Caving was my new thing to do last week... I have to seriously ponder what I want to do this week...

Alright, here’s your disclaimer for this post: there’s a lot of howling and yipping about things that mostly have nothing to do with my goals. So there. I have been in the worst mood for the last few days. I mean, I’ve been really grumpy, and only aforementioned drama training has let me put on my happy face and not take someone’s head off for no good reason. As far as I can tell there are several factors contributing to this terrible, awful, no good week that really hasn’t been that bad.

The leading contributor is lack of sleep. I love sleep. I have a deep, everlasting love affair with sleep. My mom likes to say that I’m making up for all of the sleeping that I didn’t do when I was little. Starting Sunday night, I’ve been averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night. We have an hour bus ride from town to site and I’ve been passing out hard on the bus to and from work. My friend that I sit beside (he’s a really big guy and has the perfect shoulders to use a pillow) has started arranging himself so that I just fall asleep on his shoulder from the get go instead of halfway like I usually do :tongue:

Adding to this sleep conundrum I’ve had the worst munchies the last few days. I think this could be tied into my lack of sleep but who knows… No matter what I eat, nothing seems to satisfy me. I find this usually happens when I’m not getting enough of something in my diet but I’ve tried all the usual things and NOTHING has worked. Being hungry just makes me more irritated.

I’ve also restarted taking my birth control (sorry any gentlemen who read this for TMI but maybe the ladies can magic up an explanation for all this nonsense going on) so I’m POSITIVE that’s not helping things. Especially since I started taking it again Sunday night… Suspicious timing? I think so!

Throw in that this is my second last week at work, with my mentor, my supervisor, and the other random dude in my department all being gone next week so that I have to month end on my own in my last week here and I am not a happy camper. Oh and school starts in about a couple of weeks. I’m also so bruised from three days of clumsiness that it hurts to move anything waist up (banged my left elbow on the towel rack, slipped on the wall twice, slamming my shin and right arm into holds on the wall, and standing up to fast and smacking my head on the bathroom door handle, etc).

Now for the pièce de résistance: last July (2012), my boyfriend and I broke. Now I’ve always been pretty good with break ups. If I felt it was time to break up, we’d have the talk then I’d have my grieving period, then my annoyed period, then move on with life. This particular break up did not feel right, though, and it really bothered me. He was a fantastic guy… My parents liked him, my friends liked him, his friends liked me, etc. It was great. Things got serious really fast though and freaked both of us out. He also wanted to move back to BC (we were in Alberta). So we decided to split up. Even though it was fairly mutually decision, I could not just let it go. We’d talk occasionally after that (we haven’t actually seen each other since the breakup) and I think that was a huge mistake for me. It made it so much harder to let go! So I tried to not talk to him when I realized this in November. Fast forward to March (2013): the day after my birthday I get text from him. To make a long, convoluted story shorter, he accused me of trying to sleep with his best friend (who I’d seen maybe three times in five months), which I most certainly did NOT try to do. After yelling at said best friend, who turned out to be just as confused as I was, we both told him that it wasn’t the case. I never did find out who told him that but if he didn’t believe me or the person I apparently “tried to sleep withâ€, then that was his problem. I erased him from ever possible aspect of my life. Deleted his number, off of Facebook, and tried to not even talk about him. Six weeks later, I get a text from a number I kind of recognize. It was my ex apologizing for everything. We talked it out but I decided I still wouldn’t talk to him unless he initiated the conversation (which he rarely does) and only respond in a way the was polite but not conducive to conversation.

Near the middle of July, I get another text from him telling me that he’s still crazy about me. How can you still be crazy about someone that you haven’t seen for a year, only dated for three months, and barely talk to? By this point I was tired of our whole weird back and forth thing. I firmly stated that I would be passing through the town he lives in a few weeks, and to tell me if he wanted to see me. He never said anything so I resumed ignoring him for the most.  Skip forward again to just a few days ago. He asks me when I’m done school, if I’m still single, and if he could come visit me (apparently two or three weekends from now). HE’S GOING TO DRIVE ME INSANE! I answered the first two questions but I haven’t really answered the last one. I’m of two minds on the situation.

Part of me thinks that it’s just not worth all the stress and potential re-heartbreak. He was a great friend, fantastic boyfriend (the best I’ve had… yet :D) but he hasn’t really been that great of an ex (I prefer the ones that leave me alone :tongue:). The other part of me is kind of curious to see if that indefinable “it†is still there. We were great together and we didn’t break up because we were unhappy with each other. I can’t still say I’m still “crazy†about him but I definitely don’t dislike him either. It feels like every time I’m ready to take the next step of moving on, I have to struggle with some very direct reminder of him. It half feels like Cupid is going “No, no there’s still more to go with him!†and half feels like karma is making me suffer for something horrible I’m going to do in the future (I don’t think I’ve done anything to deserve this so far ;D). I know that in actuality I’ve done this to myself by not making a definitive decision about cutting him out of my life but I have so many mixed messages!

…. I feel completely drained but I still have to find something new to try, fight the food chaos, and attempt to beat the 5.9s. So there (again)!