• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FemHawke

Be a zombie, or *beat* the zombies? (Good thing PhDifferent doesn't like Zombies anyway)

M, you're making me blush! Sadly, I haven't published any fiction; under a pseudonym or not. I have spent a lot of time writing while doing my PhD, but it's not fiction writing (even if I try and make it as entertaining as I can get away with my supervisory committee! ;) ). Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to publish fiction at some point, but for now (re: until I get my PhD done), this is my outlet for fiction writing. (...) Either way, give it time; practice helps a lot, and I have been writing for a long time (just not fiction).

Then I guess for me it's a matter of being out of practice. My days of fiction publishing (if you could even call it that… it was similar to what you're doing here) are long over. So perhaps this will improve somewhat substantially during the course of this challenge. But I'd like to get back into writing semi-creative (which is a nice way of saying "not obviously/completely plagiarized") fiction.

As for time and ideas, time; I put aside time and work it in as a'break' in my day. It's fun for me to do, so it works as a break but still keeps me working on my 'writing muscle'. The above update took me about 45min or so, though, my first post took me closer to 2hrs.

I'll try your method of fitting my writing (storyboarding in my case, so to speak) into the normal breaks I take. But yeah, that time requirement looks quite reassuring; it's closer to what I was hoping it would take you than what I was afraid it might take you.

As for ideas, I try not to over-think it and just let what floats into my head out on paper. I don't suppose that's very helpful, but it's what I've got - trying to relax and not over-think (a tall order for a PhD!), but it seems to work here and with some of my more 'academic ideas'. I follow the "That just might be crazy enough to be a good idea/argument/just might work!" tactic.

My usual method for coming up with new ideas is to watch some old videos on YouTube, or read a few old blogs I follow, or similar; the point being to re-expose me to old material, now that I have a "hook" to attach it to (the thing I'm trying to write in a creative fashion). I guess it's somewhat similar to what architects or engineers do when they come up with a "new" design by bastardizing adapting an old one, with an added spark of insanity genius.

Eh, maybe it's time for a change of method.

Help! Is there an almost doctor in the house?! This challenge! It's just lying here bloodied and beaten on the floor!!

Hahaha, sorry for another terrible joke but great work! Keep it up and we may really need to call an ambulance for it!

“So, what have we learned?†she almost cooed at me as I hobbled around on Thursday. My calves were killing me to the point that even walking was difficult. I 'over did it', you could say. I was tempted to toss back something sarcastic - what do I care? I’ll be out of this camp in a few days and I won’t likely see much of her. But, I cant; because she’s a good trainer, and she has a point. I hate when that happens. So, my glare quickly turned into a smirk and then a chuckle as I shook my head to concede defeat to her ‘superior wisdom’ (okay, so I could still be a bit sarcastic) - “That just because you ‘can’ do it, doesn’t mean you should?â€. I was referring to my first zombie run on Wednesday; it was impressive (well, to myself anyway. And, maybe the zombie), but I continued running long after I was safe, when I should have slowed down. This resulted in my being largely immobile on Thursday, Friday and much of Saturday. What was it my dad would always say? Go big, or go home? Might have to temper that impulse a bit. 

She nodded curtly, though she was smiling, and added “That, and don’t bite off more than you can chew. There’s no sense in wrecking yourself here, burnout is not your friend. No surer way to get yourself killed out thereâ€, jerking her head towards the window, likely referring to the abandoned cityscapes that I’d, we’d, be scouting should I pass my training, of course. I was off to a good start, but as always - I still have a lot to learn. But hey, I always did figure I was destined for a life of being a perpetual student. 

Looking back on the first week of my training, I did alright. I’ve had one of the most productive research and writing weeks I’ve had in a very long time, I killed my first KB workout and felt myself progress. I more than surprised myself with my first run trial, but then; a lesson learned when I hit that wall. This lead to not being able to do much for the last few days, save for a few much needed yoga sessions. Still, not as much as I wanted to. I am my own worst critic. 

I peered over her shoulder as she penned in the results of my first week:

Strength Training: 1 out of 2 completed.

Run training: 1 of 1 completed. 

Yoga sessions: 4 of 4-5 completed. 

Writing: Progressing well/on-track. 

Bonuses: Walked approximately 9 miles. 

"Not bad. And, you've learned some important lessons. Learned them before they got you killed, some people aren't so lucky". She closed my folder, making that awkward ‘intake of breath’ sound that we all do when we’re not quite ready to say what we’re about to say, our body giving away the thoughts and words that are about to follow “…did you get your camp transfer application sent in?â€, she knows it’s a sensitive subject, everyone does. If you’re lucky enough to have loved ones left, you do everything you can to be with them. “Yeah, sent it with Gritch on Friday. It should get there this week some time…though, we won’t hear back on the final decision until late May I think. We’ll do what we have to until thenâ€. Giving me a squeeze on the shoulder she left the room, not knowing me well enough yet to get into how I was feeling about this-coming Friday. Heading back to my base camp after having spent 4 months here, the past two weeks of which have been training. I’m not looking forward to it, the distance in addition to all of the other changes and challenges. But, I’ve learned this past week to take and assess each moment as it comes, that smaller progressions towards a larger goal are much more successful than running myself headlong into a wall. Or, at least, I think I’ve learned that lesson…I suppose I’ll find out over the next few weeks.

Help! Is there an almost doctor in the house?! This challenge! It's just lying here bloodied and beaten on the floor!!

Hahaha, sorry for another terrible joke but great work! Keep it up and we may really need to call an ambulance for it!

Bahaha! Don't worry, bad jokes and puns are *always* welcome around here! 

Everytime I get around to your thread I like to curl up with a blanket and a nice glass of tea (read rum and coke) just enjoy the story. Hahaha.

Keep kicking zombie-ass! I look forward to the beast Bee will inevitably turn out to...bee. ahaha!

By the time Monday night rolled around, the first day of my second week of training, I had largely recovered from the stunt that the trainers pulled last week. Beyond the entertainment value for them, it was both a test and a learning experience. A test to see just how fast we were as runners, and, how we react (or don’t) when face-to-face with the threat of an unlife of shambling instead of running (fun fact alert! 9/10 people prefer running!). As a lesson, it was meant to show us our limits and that while training is meant to meet and push those limits - it is not meant to blow past them and into the territory where the potential for further training (or outright surviving) is put into question. Lesson learned. 

With this in mind, and very thankful for my regained mobility, the second week of training has progressed much better. Tuesday was strength training with the BBWW followed up with some yoga for stretching. I completed two circuits with good form - and much to my surprise, was not too bad at pushups. Oh, don’t get me wrong - I have a lot to improve upon, but I surprised myself. I seem to have surprised myself a lot lately, I feel like that should be telling me something…meh! 

Wednesday was run day, again - but this time, it was much different. It was an actual training day, not ‘throw you to the sharks’ and see how you do (note: I’ve swam with sharks. I’d take my chances with the sharks over a hoard of zombies). 

Deep in the woods where the zombies never make it (the wolves, rocks, trees, cliffs, rangers and who I like to call ‘the Buzzard Brigade’, make sure of that), we were largely left to run with just ourselves. Occasionally you’d see a fellow recruit flit in and out of view between the trees, the crunching of leaves marking their passing, but mostly - it was all you. It reminded me of hunting, the calm and smell of the woods. Adrenalin kicking in with every sound you heard, wondering if ‘this was it’. Well…I suppose this also had the less than pleasant addition of the bark of orders over a loudspeaker somewhere in the distance - Warmup for 10min, alternate running for 30seconds, walking for 30seconds for another 15min, and then; a 10min freeform run at a pace of your choosing. According to the tracker they put on me, over the course of the session I ran/walked 9.14Km (that’s about 5.8miles). Huh. Surprised again.  

I followed-up yesterdays run with more yoga, and it (along with the much more sensible methodology of the trainers this time) left me feeling much better this morning as opposed to last Thursday. I can move! I don’t hobble around like a zombie! Progress! Still, with strength training and then a run day, today was best left to a 25min yoga session and rest. Tomorrow is strength training and it will require a lot…

I plan on warming up with two rounds of the BBWW and then complete 2nd and 3rd stages of the KB training. While that will most certainly be a test, I will require more emotional strength than anything by the days end. You see, after spending near on 4 months here, I leave to go back to my base camp tomorrow night. The Hubbs will be taking the trek back with me to stay for a few days, but then he must head back to his own camp. It will be a month until we see each other again. 

To be sure, we’ll both have things at our camps to keep us busy - they’ll have me working the supply depot 3 days a week, and, of course I have my writing. Speaking of, I’m very happy to say that it has gone well so far this week and I’m on track to finish a section that needs finishing by either tomorrow afternoon, or, Sunday evening, depending on how my packing goes. Which, I suppose I should start…   

No.

I won't end my entry like this. On a sad, weak note. Don't get me wrong, I *am* sad, this will be tough and I don't want to leave...but, I will get through this. I will be okay and I'll just keep looking forward, doing what I need to do and dealing with things as they come. Being and doing the best I can, and making sure that 'the beset I can' is even better, every day, even if it's just a bit.

...though, I suppose I still have to go pack.    

Everytime I get around to your thread I like to curl up with a blanket and a nice glass of tea (read rum and coke) just enjoy the story. Hahaha.

Keep kicking zombie-ass! I look forward to the beast Bee will inevitably turn out to...bee. ahaha!

Hahaha - yessss! Bad (re: good!) puns! Woohoo!  :highly_amused:

Hope the packing and moving is going/went well! It's only a matter of time before he's up there with you in good ole' C-eh-N-eh-D-eh! (Hah! Canada jokes!) Can't wait to get an update on your second week and let's keep rolling through the third!!

Hope the packing and moving is going/went well! It's only a matter of time before he's up there with you in good ole' C-eh-N-eh-D-eh! (Hah! Canada jokes!) Can't wait to get an update on your second week and let's keep rolling through the third!!

Haha, Canada jokes! :P Now that I've finally got the desk and computer set up, I can post an update soon. 

Haha, Canada jokes! :tongue: Now that I've finally got the desk and computer set up, I can post an update soon. 

Haha the American in me couldn't help it! Can't wait to see an update! Especially on those final grades for this week!

Hey PhDifferent.  I hope all is okay.  I know the distance thing is hard, did it for 2 years.  You are one tough cookie.  Just thought I would let you know I am thinking of your and wishing you all the best.