• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Curious. How are others choosing their Main Quest. . .a quest that can be achieved within a six week challenge? Or a quest that requires several challenges to achieve? 

Curious. How are others choosing their Main Quest. . .a quest that can be achieved within a six week challenge? Or a quest that requires several challenges to achieve? 

My main quest is the general thing I am aiming for by working on my fitness - it is my ultimate goal no matter how long it takes!!

My sub-quests are those which will hopefully be completed within the current challenge and are therefore shorter term and will get me further along in my ultimate quest ..  if that makes sense?

In other words - No my main quest is not one that can be achieved within a six week challenge!

I worked from my longest-term goal backwards in steps: LTG is my final weight loss/fitness "endpoint", then thought about where I would like to be by the end of the year (Mid-term goal), then figured out what I can do in the next six weeks that will get me closer to that (Short-term goal). So for me, its going to take me multiple challenges, each challenge/step moving me toward my LTG/main quest.

Mine is my current long term goal, and it will probably take a couple more quests for me to be satisfied that it's properly 'completed'. I was deliberately vague with the details of the actual quest itself, so depending on how it goes it can be carried over. If I succeed in achieving my goals, I hop on over to stage two of the quest.

"What is your main quest?  This is the overall goal that you hope to accomplish over the next few months (don't think about just 6 weeks, start thinking bigger, like the end of the year)."

Source:

9501117_2.jpg?v=8CCC719FECC29A0

^^^this. Although I would amend it to 120% sure and slightly crazy... it's the extra 20% that keeps you going when you feel overworked, incredibly isolated, and your project isn't working as well or as fast as your adviser wants.

@Meta, my program isn't typical in that it doesn't have a true masters component. Instead it's 5-6 years (average 5 1/2) to walk out with a PhD. I'm in the US, so I can't speak at all for the European system. 

If anyone wants to start an Accountabillibuddy Squad (thanks AngelBlaidd for the idea!) I'm 100% on board. If no one has started one by the time I get home, I'll try to figure it out. All I would need to do is start a thread under Accountabillibuddy?

Hey Snow, If you haven't already done it, you just pop a thread on the AB Squad Board (like you did with your challenge thread) and people join.  Also open up the AB Squad sheet and add your squad on the 1st Timers tab and people need to sign up there too.

I'm also a recent graduate!  I finished my winemaking degree in June.  Awesome to see so many people pursuing their passions!

Question for those of you that do weight training.  Do you wear gloves when you lift?  I'm finding that as I'm increasing weight, I'm getting some blisters on my hands and I'm thinking gloves may be the way to go.

I wear special lifting gloves, but i also have man hands (they're almost as big as my boyf's) so i definitely don't have problems with gripping around the bar.  It is just my preference (i cycle and play sport with gloves too, so yeah), but we're not allowed chalk at our gym - hell i'm the only one who really uses the squat rack so i'm not surprised.  If you do have other questions like that you can always pop onto the lifting boards for more advice.

You've have some good advice so i'm just going to say this: you can do your main quest over as many challenges as you want, but the goals/sub quests need to be achievable within the next 6 weeks.

My quest is part of a long range goal. The challenge is just a stepping stone to that goal.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

@Vixen68 Perfectly. 

@vikingbabe Your approach suits me. 

@iatetheyeti / @AngelBlaidd /  @robert da strongman Got it. 

@dr3wcifer I wasn't able to find the quote you provided in the challenge instructions. Would you be so kind as to share where you found this reference?

Thanks all for sharing your approaches. The variety increases the odds that my own approach will be spicy!

Couple more questions : 

1. Will / has anyone use/d the Rebel Fitness Guide for their challenge? 

2. Does the Rebel Fitness Guide provide stone-cold structure? I've checked out the preview, but am unable to determine whether daily routines are outlined. Perhaps something similar to this

@dr3wcifer I wasn't able to find the quote you provided in the challenge instructions. Would you be so kind as to share where you found this reference?

It's in there. First sentence under the subheading Your Main Quest.

Also, as far as program & structure goes, what are you looking for that is different from the Max Capacity Training program you linked to?  

1. Will / has anyone use/d the Rebel Fitness Guide for their challenge? 

2. Does the Rebel Fitness Guide provide stone-cold structure? I've checked out the preview, but am unable to determine whether daily routines are outlined. Perhaps something similar to this

I will be using the Rebel Fitness Guide for this upcoming challenge. It does have a suggested structure with some leeway in the first level (where I am) but looking ahead the higher levels appear to be very structured. I am very structure-oriented when it comes to my workout schedule and it works well for me as far as structure goes so yes it has a routine outline in it.

I have an associates degree in mathematics (I know, I know it doesn't count). Also, a BA in history. 21 hrs completed toward an MA in history and I've been accepted to UNT to begin a MS in Library information sciences. Yep, gonna be a librarian. But a cool, in shape one! Special Collections and Archives are my interest.

It's in there. First sentence under the subheading Your Main Quest.

Also, as far as program & structure goes, what are you looking for that is different from the Max Capacity Training program you linked to?  

Aahh! Thank you! Found it! 

I haven't yet purchased the Rebel Fitness Guide, consequently I'm inquiring whether it has a similarly structured program as MCT. I tend to be more consistent with specificity.

I will be using the Rebel Fitness Guide for this upcoming challenge. It does have a suggested structure with some leeway in the first level (where I am) but looking ahead the higher levels appear to be very structured. I am very structure-oriented when it comes to my workout schedule and it works well for me as far as structure goes so yes it has a routine outline in it.

(Laughing!) Leeway scares me. . .would you say the purchase was worthwhile due to what I assume is its global approach to healthful living? 

(Laughing!) Leeway scares me. . .would you say the purchase was worthwhile due to what I assume is its global approach to healthful living? 

For me I would definitely say it has been worthwhile. More specifically on the leeway though, it has specific workouts three days a week and says 30 min cardio/fun workout for three other days of the week. That has its challenges for me in deciding what to do but at the same time I'm glad that it doesn't tell me what to do specifically because for example I'm totally not a runner so if it said go running for 30 minutes I would have put it down and never picked it up again. But that's just my two cents. And I didn't quite understand the workout of your link so I can't really tell you how it would compare to that either.

Hi, everyone. I will openly admit now. I may of power lifted and been in a full combat sport and martial arts for years but I am very computer stupid. I have no idea how to work this site.

So if its cool I'll be doing what I've been doing (power lifting, running, and Dagorhir Battle Games) and use this site to help me and friends along. :pride:  Thanks guys and I love what you lot are doing keep it up

We've been watching "Space Brothers" on crunchyroll. Last week's episode had something profound in it for me. Mutta is training to fly a jet, and his trainer keep telling him to "Put that in your notebook." Then he adds either the words, "In your head," or, "in your heart."

I am reading as many of your threads as I can. The notebooks in both my head and heart are filling. Thank you all so much for sharing your goals and motives. I am getting some really good ideas for hacking my life. :)

For me I would definitely say it has been worthwhile. More specifically on the leeway though, it has specific workouts three days a week and says 30 min cardio/fun workout for three other days of the week. That has its challenges for me in deciding what to do but at the same time I'm glad that it doesn't tell me what to do specifically because for example I'm totally not a runner so if it said go running for 30 minutes I would have put it down and never picked it up again. But that's just my two cents. And I didn't quite understand the workout of your link so I can't really tell you how it would compare to that either.

Alright. I'm going to bite the bullet and make the purchase. In truth, it's the least I can do to support the rebellion! Thanks for your recommendation! 

Once more question. . .does the Rebel Fitness Guide require equipment? 

I don't think so. I think I remember reading on their rules page that they prefer things natural - nothing like weight machines (though I go to the gym and prefer the machines, because of my back). So I imagine the only equipment you'd need are things like free weights and a kettle bell or something.  I've not had the time I would love to spend going through all the information here, as my time is pretty limited, but I decided to spend this morning going through everything. If I find a list of suggested equipment, I'll link it to you.  This site is awesome and has tons of amazing information, but its a bit overwhelming for a newb nerd like me.

I don't think so. I think I remember reading on their rules page that they prefer things natural - nothing like weight machines (though I go to the gym and prefer the machines, because of my back). So I imagine the only equipment you'd need are things like free weights and a kettle bell or something.  I've not had the time I would love to spend going through all the information here, as my time is pretty limited, but I decided to spend this morning going through everything. If I find a list of suggested equipment, I'll link it to you.  This site is awesome and has tons of amazing information, but its a bit overwhelming for a newb nerd like me.

(Laughing!) Reads as though you and I are on a similar mission! Due to my travel schedule, I actually need a pure body weight program - so if equipment is involved, Rebel Fitness Guide wouldn't be a fit. . .

(Laughing!) Reads as though you and I are on a similar mission! Due to my travel schedule, I actually need a pure body weight program - so if equipment is involved, Rebel Fitness Guide wouldn't be a fit. . .

Well just remember, everything has weight. If it means buying 2 litre bottles of soda to use as weights in your hotel room, you totally can do that.  1 2 litre bottle of soda weighs a little over 4.5 lbs.   A gallon of fluid weighs about 8.5 lbs.  To start out in your hotel room as hand weights, those are decent weights for arm exercises.

You could use the chair at the desk in the hotel room as a prop to workout as well.  Doing those floor arm lift thingies if you sit on the floor in front of the chair, put your hands on the seat of the chair behind you, and lift yourself up.  

Body weight exercises are great for the lower body too. Due to my back issues, I'm starting squats in baby steps. Youtube has been a great guide for me there.

Think outside the box :)  I'm still going through the site. hehe

Well just remember, everything has weight. If it means buying 2 litre bottles of soda to use as weights in your hotel room, you totally can do that.  1 2 litre bottle of soda weighs a little over 4.5 lbs.   A gallon of fluid weighs about 8.5 lbs.  To start out in your hotel room as hand weights, those are decent weights for arm exercises.

You could use the chair at the desk in the hotel room as a prop to workout as well.  Doing those floor arm lift thingies if you sit on the floor in front of the chair, put your hands on the seat of the chair behind you, and lift yourself up.  

Body weight exercises are great for the lower body too. Due to my back issues, I'm starting squats in baby steps. Youtube has been a great guide for me there.

Think outside the box :)  I'm still going through the site. hehe

Thanks for the suggestions. But. . .I'm not often in a hotel room. In fact, I'm not often in a developed country. Granted, imagination rules the day. Yet I'm inclined to follow Steve's words of wisdom and choose the path of least resistance. I know that I'll have my body with me where ever I am in the world. It's the one thing I can count on. Consequently, I prefer to build a program upon my known equipment. 

It still hasn't been confirmed, however, that barbells (or other equipment) are a requisite to his program. . .

I got sidetracked on the whole race and class and signature posts. There's a LOT of info on here, lol

But hey, I'm a xeph ranger now, WEE!

Still looking :)

A lot of the exercises do require weights to make them more challenging. It does say you can use weights or an exercise band though which would probably be easier to transport. I use weights though so I'm not really sure what all the modifications would be for an exercise band. But apparently one or the other is all you need. But yes that would be an equipment requirement

Thanks for the suggestions. But. . .I'm not often in a hotel room. In fact, I'm not often in a developed country. Granted, imagination rules the day. Yet I'm inclined to follow Steve's words of wisdom and choose the path of least resistance. I know that I'll have my body with me where ever I am in the world. It's the one thing I can count on. Consequently, I prefer to build a program upon my known equipment. 

It still hasn't been confirmed, however, that barbells (or other equipment) are a requisite to his program. . .

The Rebel Fitness Guide does need weights. However, the rebel strength guide has a bodyweight only section. The two guides are largely quite similar. Let me know if you have any more questions as I have both guides.

Hope that helps.