Runner 5: The Starving Time

Runner5

During the Zombie Apocalypse, food sources will necessarily become scarce as commercial agriculture and mass transportation collapses. Commercially processed foods will quickly become highly prized, expensive, and rare. Those who survive the famine will do so by the physically arduous task of growing their own food and rationing it appropriately.

MAIN QUEST: Achieve 17% bodyfat as measured by the body composition meter at my fitness center*. I'll be checking Sunday to get an official starting number, but last I checked I was around 20%.

•  Eat clean (aka whole unprocessed foods) at least 5 days per week (4 CON)
  •  Track my calories every day, limiting to under 15K per week (3 CHA)
  •  Attend Crossfit 15 times during the 6 week period (3 STR, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

LIFE QUEST: master my temper by controlling outbursts of anger or frustration (3 WIS)

EDIT TO ADD STARTING PICS AND STATS

Weight: 140.2

Body fat: 24% (ouch!)

Waist: 32"

Hips: 39"

Starting photo (front)

front-24.png?w=244

Starting photo (side)

side-24.png?w=207

* Based on previous experience, the meter may not be 100% accurate, but it is consistent and will show downward trends.

~ Runner 5 ~ :listening_headphone

"Zombie Response Unit: Locate ~ Decapitate ~ Incinerate"

LEVEL 3 RANGERSTR 7 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 7 | CHA 3

Twitter | Blog | Pinterest | Instagram | Fitocracy | Zombies, Run! Profile   

Thanks! Since the new challenge rules were released, I decided that my overall storyline / theme will be "surviving the zombie apocalypse", so all of my quests will be plays on that. For each challenge, I'll spin my goals to fit into that storyline.  Depending on my goals for a particular challenge, I may have to use some serious creativity to make it work. ;)

Awesome! I'm finally trying to do the same thing with my challenges as well. I think it makes it way more interesting putting a story behind your challenges. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Love your Quest theme and can't wait to see the progress.

Mel The Hangry, Level 7, Aussie Gnome, Ranger Druid

STR 9.5 | DEX 7.5 | STA 18 | CON 19.5 | WIS 14.5 | CHA 6.5 

Current Challenge: TBA

Last Challenges: Mel The Hangry is getting back to basicsMel The Hangry is making changesMel The Hangry is turning into a Druid

"Some days you eat salads and do yoga, Some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants, It’s called balance."

Yay for zombie survivors!!  Subbed, we are totally going to save mankind!

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

I did Run for your Lives last year!   It was so much fun - but I ran it, literally, 2 weeks after being cleared to exercise following foot surgery to repair a ruptured tendon hah.      If you haven't done one before - omg you will love it.   But beware - they have shamblers AND sprinters!!    (See below)    I just picked up the Zombies, Run half way through the last challenge and am really loving it!   So!  Um!  Good job Runner 5!   We see you outside the gates ... just, just keep running!!

486436_4345289880797_1246822137_n.jpg

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Any advice for lowering your bodyfat percentage? I've always just had "get healthier" goals, and try to focus on my progress pictures rather than the scale, but I did set a bodyfat goal this time (about 2.5 percent that I want to lose during this challenge - from 27.69 to 25ish)

I'm also a runner5 - my old phone needs to hang on for at least one more mission of season 1, so that I can get a new phone and start season 2!

For me, lowering bodyfat is mostly diet, but you have to strength train as well. If you don't, you're as likely to lose muscle mass as fat. In the past I've had the most success with limiting my calories to <2000 per day (at least 25% of that protein and all of it quality whole foods) and strength training 3 days a week with heavy weights and lower reps. 

And isn't the "Zombies Run" app the best? I spent 4 decades of my life avoiding running, and now I just love it!

I did Run for your Lives last year! 

I am so excited to try it! Little worried about hurdles, though. Last time I did an obstacle race with hurdles, I looked like I was having a seizure trying to jump them. :P

Edited original post to add starting stats and pics. Be gentle...

You look great!  I know your goals, and you'll totally reach them.  

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

Did really well on my food intake and tracking, and also attended Crossfit yesterday. The food tracking can get tedious, so that's where I'm focusing most of my energy. if I don't track, it's easy to forget to count it. It adds up fast, plus a lot of times the stuff I forget tends to be junk food (flavored coffee creamers, a piece of candy, etc). By tracking it, I'm more aware of it.

I tend to be very reward-motivated (one of the reasons that the "leveling up" concept appeals to me).  So I tend to plan rewards for myself when I successfully complete a challenge: a new piece of fitness equipment, a trip or activity I've been wanting to do, jewelry, something for the house or yard. It's generally something frivolous that I can't otherwise justify purchasing.

Well, I just discovered what will be my reward for this challenge. I have zero use for it, it will probably just sit in a closet, but I love it and want it and will make it my own:

Tactical Combat Corset

NZCS-2.jpg

That is really flipping cool.  You'll have to wear it during the Run for Your Lives! :D

O M G -- That thing is soooo freaking awesome!!!    Definitely reward worthy!

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Wow! That beats the new book I was gonna get myself as a reward. But I really don't think anyone wants to see me in a corset.

Great challenge goals, can't wait to see how you do.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I now want one, that is awesome. Keep it up.

Last Challenges: Mel The Hangry is getting back to basicsMel The Hangry is making changesMel The Hangry is turning into a Druid

"Some days you eat salads and do yoga, Some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants, It’s called balance."

Soooo frustrated with myself. :miserable:

I tracked and ate clean (goals 1 and 2) for the first 5 days, but then went out of town for a wedding and *blew* it. Eating 3 meals a day at restaurants, plus snack food everywhere makes it SO easy to munch mindlessly and then can't remember what I ate (or too lazy/in denial to spend 30 minutes trying to enter it all in).  I wasn't even HUNGRY most of the time, but still stuffed my face.

Now I'm back on track but that's basically half a week that's down the drain -- I feel like I just completely negated 5 days of good work.

Don't feel like that it's just a hiccup get back on track and you will be back to good.

Don't feel like that it's just a hiccup get back on track and you will be back to good.

^^ Agree.   The more you look at it as negating hard work or blowing it, the more it controls you.   (I am working on this constantly.)  These situations will continuously come up through out life.   Some times you're going to approach it from one angle, sometimes another.   The path you have in your mind, regardless of which route you sometimes sidetrack onto, still leads to the top of the mountain.    Beating yourself up will only reinforce a trend of 'Having' to do things one way, instead of 'choosing' to.   

You had 5 days of awesome clean eating.  NOTHING can change that.   Nothing will suddenly erase the fact that you DID them in the first place.   So brush yourself off, chuck the weekend experience into the 'lessons and feedback' bag, and keep walking. :)  Er, running in your case... after all, "There are zoms just behind you and you're still on pace to outrun them, if you just keep coming, Runner 5."

:)

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Thanks guys -- yeah, I'm keeping in mind that it was only a few days, and I've been very on-target since then. Still, frustrating to have "wasted" a week for ... well, junk that I barely remember at this point. Live and learn... :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines