• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ishbel

Paleoish: First NF baby steps

Main Quest

To be fit, happy and healthy for my family.  To be at my optimum weight, I need to loose fat.  I don´t know what my optimum weight is, but it is at least 15Kg of fat less than I am now.

Present weight: 81.6Kg

Height: 5´6â€

Female: yup, last time I checked

Fat % - 38% (Navy method)

My picture of “fit and healthy†is fit (sporty type), flexible (no problems moving around), happy (being able to look in the mirror and know that I am the best me I can be) and strangely enough productive (no procrastinating, or having to do the same job twice as it wasn´t done properly in the first place and FINISH WHAT I HAVE STARTED).

All this is related to habits  (No, not hobbits).   So I need to build some habits that will give me success in my Main Quest.

Eating habits:

• Eat Paleo 90% for all 6 weeks.  (Make sure I am eating 1500 calories a day) Whole 42
  • Drink a bucketful of water every day. 

I have to be consistent here, and actually loose some of this fat.  Target - burn off 3Kg of fat.

Exercise habits:

Go to the gym 3 times a week (if not at the gym then 40 minutes either Shauna Kaminski or Craig Ballantyne routines)

On other days walk as far as I can (need to find some kind of step counter and make sure I average 8000 steps per day)

I will establish PBs for Push ups and deadlifts 

Life Quest

This has to be to finish what I have started.  Everything from cleaning the kitchen /sitting room before I go to bed at night, to the million and one projects I have around the house that I have started and not completed.

So, target here is to ensure that all dishes are cleared away at night (including all the cups and glasses strewn around the house).

Also to finish some of the projects I have started.  One per week so that is 6 projects:

1. Curtains in Bedroom 1
  2. Curtains in Bedroom 2
  3. Sort out our bedroom (clothes to be either boxed up or chucked)
  4. Sort out all my sewing stuff (cross stitch and patchwork)
  5. Sort through bookshelves
  6. Gather and sort out all our important papers (house, work permits, passports etc)

I have written out my motivation in my new jotter that I bought a few months back, it has been waiting for a purpose in life (Zebra design, very pretty).  I will remind myself every day why I am doing this.  I am in a strange position of having had my family over a long time scale.  My eldest daughter was born when I was 19, my youngest son was born when I was 44.  I want to be fit and able for as long as I can be, and see him grow up without having to see his mum in a walking frame !!!

Let the battle commence!

Hey PaleoIsh!! 

Haven't you completed at least one challenge?  I could have sworn you had....(If you have, let me know and I'll move this thread back to Adventurers for you.)

Great to see you again!!

Hey PaleoIsh!! 

Haven't you completed at least one challenge?  I could have sworn you had....(If you have, let me know and I'll move this thread back to Adventurers for you.)

Great to see you again!!

Hi there Hiraedd!  great to see you again too.  Last challenge?   You just have to see my life quest.... not finishing things...  Yes, as always, I started with great gusto, but I seemed to loose the plot really quickly.  I had flu and that was enough to throw me.  I also was not active enough in the whole challenge, so this time I have set myself up as the leader of a team, and hopefully folk will join me, and then I can really get into it.  I am not a lone wolf, that is for sure.

Hi there Hiraedd!  great to see you again too.  Last challenge?   You just have to see my life quest.... not finishing things...  Yes, as always, I started with great gusto, but I seemed to loose the plot really quickly.  I had flu and that was enough to throw me.  I also was not active enough in the whole challenge, so this time I have set myself up as the leader of a team, and hopefully folk will join me, and then I can really get into it.  I am not a lone wolf, that is for sure.

Props for recognising that this forum is the right place for you.  I know that there's a lot of people knocking about here feeling very hard done by that we're in this subforum but I've had my challenge thread up for a day and been to the gym once and already have a bucket of things I want to tweak and change as I move through the challenge.  Much rather iron the kinks out here than once I'm in the guild!

Good luck and hopefully you get through it this time! (I've started two previous challenges myself and never got more than a few days in so this is going to be my first attempt at a completion too!).  I'll stop by throughout the challenge to see how you're getting on!

Props for recognising that this forum is the right place for you.  I know that there's a lot of people knocking about here feeling very hard done by that we're in this subforum but I've had my challenge thread up for a day and been to the gym once and already have a bucket of things I want to tweak and change as I move through the challenge.  Much rather iron the kinks out here than once I'm in the guild!

Good luck and hopefully you get through it this time! (I've started two previous challenges myself and never got more than a few days in so this is going to be my first attempt at a completion too!).  I'll stop by throughout the challenge to see how you're getting on!

Thanks Bezland, will check out your thread too!  We will do this!!

Great challenge PaleoIsh! Maybe I should have put 'finish things I start' on mine too! lol

I know you will do great :) xx Good Luck

Well, I am going to do a Whole30 (OK, 42 really) for the challenge.  A challenge indeed!!  As far as I can see, the calories over 1500 is covered, as I will be eating 3 "proper" meals with protein, veggies and good fats.  

Not weighing myself for the 6 weeks will be unbelievably difficult for me, but also really good!  I have to admit I have had days ruined just be seeing my weight fluctuate in the wrong direction.  I know people are always saying that "as my age" loosing weight is difficult, or nearly impossible, but that should not be the case.  If I am moving around and being more active than I am now, and eating good wholesome food, I must loose fat.  

I hate my hormones  - insulin must be having a field day!  I will tame this beast!!

Hi there!

I love your life quest ! It reminds me I should di the same!

If I may, don't put.in.your.head that losing.weight because.then.it.will.be!

I'm sure that you will succeed in this! Your goals are really well.defined and really clear!

I am going to limit weighting myself to 3 times during the challenge for the very same reasons of yours!

I wish you best.of.luck!!!

I am also a great starter, but not so great finisher.  Awesome life goal.

I totally wanted to join your team, but I also totally wanted to start one for people who are frustrated by the slowness/smallness of goals due to circumstances imposed by our bodies.  I shall be tracking you, though!

I am also a great starter, but not so great finisher.  Awesome life goal.

I totally wanted to join your team, but I also totally wanted to start one for people who are frustrated by the slowness/smallness of goals due to circumstances imposed by our bodies.  I shall be tracking you, though!

Thanks, I will be keeping an eye on you too!  Only one more day to go, I´m actually quite excited!!

Day 1

Starting today!

Really weird eating beef stew for breakfast, Whole 30 has just meals, not breakfast, lunch or dinner, and no snacks. So we will see how this goes...

I will check in tonight.

Once you release yourself from the stigma that certain foods can only be eaten at certain times/for certain meals, eating becomes a lot more fun! That and you'll find that having something like a nice stew for breakfast will set you up for the day in a far better way than a bowl of oatmeal or similar!

Once you release yourself from the stigma that certain foods can only be eaten at certain times/for certain meals, eating becomes a lot more fun! That and you'll find that having something like a nice stew for breakfast will set you up for the day in a far better way than a bowl of oatmeal or similar!

Absolutely, the only thing is I feel so full!! I am supposed to have another meal now, but I can hardly face it!!! I have salmon, and can heat up some veggies (I am going to assume that the fat in the salmon will suffice)

Also need to drink more water.

Exercise during the day will be gardening. Digging and lifting stones, so quite good allover workout - with nature´s own weights!

OK, I am going to write in my stats and then try and forget them...

Weight 81.6Kg (179.5lbs)

waist - 95cm

Hips - 103cm

Chest - 101.5cm

Upper Arm - 32.5cm

Thigh - 60cm

Calf - 43cm

Neck - 36cm

(would be fine if i was Arnold Schwarzenegger!!!! but not really appropriate for a wee 49 year old wuman!)

Navy method gives a body fat % of 38.4% In 6 weeks time I will measure again. I guess my clothes will tell me how I am getting on as the weeks go by, but I WILL NOT WEIGH MYSELF BEFORE THEN. OK, away to dig....

Good luck on your bedroom curtains! I made the curtains for our apartment and every day they make me feel so proud and happy. I'm sure yours will turn out great. :)

Food today...

Meal 1 - beef stew with veggies and coconut flakes

Meal 2 - Salmon and green beans

Meal 3 steak, carrots, broccoli, onions and mushrooms fried in ghee.

I drank 2.1 litres of water and worked in the garden for 3 hours.

Not a bad start, oh, and I  feel great!

Good luck on your bedroom curtains! I made the curtains for our apartment and every day they make me feel so proud and happy. I'm sure yours will turn out great. :)

Nearly finished!  I have a triangular window and will have to measure again before I hang them (I feel as though I have measured that damn window about 10 times!)

Sounds like a great start! Keep it up!

Just out of curiosity, what are you growing? Gardening is great exercise! x

Only wish we were growing something!  At the moment we are just trying to sort out the levels around the house, and get space for diggers and stump chewers (no idea what the real name for this beast is).  A lot of digging, and carrying stones around.  All good for fitness targets though.

Day 2

Meals today:

Broccoli and cauliflower soup with pulled pork (tin of coconut milk added to soup when it was made, so OK for fat content)

Quite fancy eggs for lunch.  I have spinach so will get creative with that.

Evening meal will be fish, I saw that the cod was caught just a few days ago (they write it up in the shop) so nice and fresh.

I will be in the garden agin this morning and am taking the kids swimming (I have to look after the little one in the kids pool, so will be crawling around throwing toys around).  Swimming is not really my thing, but I know that if I was better at it, I would probably enjoy it more.  Just feel like I am drowning all the time!

Grading.

Food

over 40/42 days - A

35 - 39/42 days - B

30 - 38/40 days - C

25 - 29/40 days - D

20 - 24/40 days - E

less than 20 - FAIL!!!

Exercise

Activity on at least  6/7 days - A

Activity on 5/7 days - B

Activity on 4/7 days - C

Activity on 3/7 days - D

Activity on 2/7 days - E

Activity on 1/7 days - FAIL!!!

Water

Drink 2litres of water at least 6/7 days - A

5/7 days - B

4/7 days -C

3/7 days - D

2/7 days - E

1/7 days FAIL!!!

Extra quest - to finish projects

6/6 - A

5/6 - B

4/6 - C

3/6 - D

2/6 - E

1/6 - FAIL!!!

Overall grade, average of all (will work out how to average letters later!!)

Well digging will definately be working up a sweat!

I'm not much of gardener (we only have a tiny yard that fits all the recycling (3) and main bin. theres just about enough space for 2 chairs haha), but my husbands family are big gardeners, they grow all sorts. That was the one benefit of living with them a few yrs ago, fresh corriander, parsley, mint, bay leaves, apples, plums, etc lol

Are you creating a stress free haven to enjoy the fresh air? :) i reallllly want a garden/porch swing. Post a pic of the beast when its planted :) sounds intriguing!