• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ishbel

Paleoish: First NF baby steps

I really should have taken a before picture of the garden!!

We can´t really expect too many sunny days here, but we just take blankets outside and sit out in the snow!!!

Well, I had scrambled eggs today, and there were tiny!!  Had to use 4!  Mind you, I am beginning to feel like the food disposal unit, every time any veggies get left over, I grab them and bag them up for my next meal!

wow sitting in the snow? brave! it mostly rains where i am but recently it has been a heatwave! so strange coping with hot weather lol

haha i totally know what you mean about bagging up veggies! i do the same!

oooh scrambled egg, you've given me an idea for later :) i use a little semi skimmed milk for smooth taste and to bulk it up a bit. no salt or butter :)

your grading looks great, Paleoish, and it looks like you're doing a great job! yay, i'm so glad our team is doing so well so far! go CareBears!

Day 2 is drawing to a close here.  

Food today has been gooood..

• Veggie soup an pulled pork
  • Scrambled egg with broccolini and green beans
  • Home made burger with portobello  mushroom "bun" lettuce and cucumber, water melon.

Was planning fish, but nothing actually looked that good, so kids suggested burgers.

Once I have finished this glass of water (do you see it?)  ten that will be 2.1litres.

I didn´t get into the garden today as we had a thunder storm instead!  So it will be a body weight training in about 1/2 an our.

20 body weight squats

10 pushups

20 walking lunges (10 each leg)

20 dumbbell rows (10 each arm)

15 sec plank

30 jumping jacks

Warm up and cool down included.  Yes, this is Steve´s rebel training.  Now, I may include a goblet squat, but my pushups are usually rubbish.  Will report back once this lot is finished.

Oh, did Intu-Flow this morning too.  

Day 3 - DONE!

• Meal 1 - beef stew and coconut flakes
  • Meal 2 - sweet potato hash (YUM) a small homemade burger and an egg
  • Meal 3 - chicken with indian cabbage cooked in coconut oil.

Lovely!!

just thinking, I go back to work on Monday, and that is a real challenge!  We have  really good salad bar, but lots of cheap processed meats, and not much else.  They always have boiled eggs, but not every day!  Will have to start thinking of packed lunches.  Planning required here, and any ideas anyone has too more than welcome!

there are lots of slow cooker meals out there [stews and the like]. if you have a crock pot or slow cooker, it'd be easy to put some of that in a to-go container and heat it up at work. also, simple roast veggies are easy to pack up and reheat. meatballs or small mini patties are also an option, though they don't taste as good reheated after the initial cooking. you can also make up a batch of boiled eggs to take along with you in case your work doesn't have them. soups are another great option, especially paired with the salad bar you have at your disposal.
here are some of my favorite recipes: this is a great resource of recipes, here is one of the many slow cooker recipes she has, and i made these last night. [they were super tasty!]
good luck going back to work!

Fitbit arrived today yeah!  So now I can get an idea how much I walk, and what me sleep is like.  

OK, so day 4, pretty good I have to say.  Spent the day moving large rocks around, about 4 hours or so.  So tired I can hardly move.  We all filled a skip (container thing) and sorted out all the rubble from the old wall, and that will go into another skip tomorrow if we get it delivered in time. 

Food was good today,

Meal 1 veggie soup and a small steak

Meal 2 sweet potato hash and 2 eggs

Meal 3 Meatballs (recipe from Nom Nom - absolutely out of this world - my son, 16 said in a surprised voice " Mum, this were actually good!"  Cheeky pup!)

Water - 2 litres

I like that I am only eating 3 meals and no snacks, as I don´t even think about it.  

Off to see a film with my hubby, not cinema, just cuddling on the sofa - chances are we will be asleep before the film starts!!

heh heh, found this and thought of you, my whole42 buddy. i'm guessing the reactions we're having aren't as bad since we were pretty much eating paleo before we started the 6 week challenge. still funny though. i was unreasonably grumpy yesterday, and today i'm exhausted, so maybe i'm a day or two ahead of the curve!

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/

Day 5 in the bag!

I spent the day filling the remainder of a 5 ton container with ground and stones.  It was really heavy work and I enjoyed it sooooo much!  I feel really tired, and it is lovely!

Food was good

Meal 1 beef stew with loads of veggies

Meal 2 leftover meatballs with s. potato hash and 2 eggs

Meal 3 beef stew (again)

I know, not much variation but still good stuff.

Kids screaming, beter go.  They hate having to go to bed when it is only just dark.

heh heh, found this and thought of you, my whole42 buddy. i'm guessing the reactions we're having aren't as bad since we were pretty much eating paleo before we started the 6 week challenge. still funny though. i was unreasonably grumpy yesterday, and today i'm exhausted, so maybe i'm a day or two ahead of the curve!

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/

Yes, I was completely exhausted yesterday, but nor sure if it was our Whole42, or the fact that we were digging in the garden for hours!!  It really must be quite a struggle going from "conventional" diet (or what ever it is called) to Whole30.  

Mode swings are just not happening (yet!!).  In fact feeling very good.  Even the thought of going back to work is not phasing me too much.

I am planning a huge batch of the meatballs with sweet potato, a large pulled pork in the oven slowly roasting away at a low heat, and also have a freezer full of salmon.  Only problem is that the market here is flooded with farmed salmon, so I will have to get some homework done and find a "real" salmon source - anyone know any norwegian fishermen??

OK, off shopping! Talk later

Well, a busy day - my usual grocery shop was flooded out, so no fresh produce or meats left!  This meant a drive around to another shop to see if I could get everything I wanted.  Somewhere along the way today I seemed to have missed a meal!  

Meal 1 - beef stew and veggies

Meal 2 -  pulled pork and fried cabbage with onions. ginger and garlic with a little sesame seeds on top.

Funny thing is I never even noticed - that is a first!!

Still managed to drink my 2 litres of water, and also had a coffee with coconut milk (with first meal) and herbal tea in the evening.

Exercise was walking.  8000 steps so far, still have some running around to do tonight,  so will probably be up at 10000 by bed time.

First day back at work.... soooooooooooooooo sleeeeeeeeeeeepy....... need to go to bed.

Very quick recap

Meal 1 Meatballs (surprise surprise) cauliflower and leftover sweet potato

Meal 2  Pulled pork and broccoli coconut milk

Meal 3 Chicken, mushrooms, onions and broccoli with sesame seeds

Slept rubbish last night, awake 7 times (so my fitbit tells me)

Walked just over 8000 steps, including 17 flights of stairs

Need to go and drink my herbal tea and get to bed

Nite nite everyone in NF world  :sleeping:

Feeling better today, was in bed early last night, so that was probably all it was.

Food is going great, but I need to get some fish into my diet.  Lunch at work was a rather meager afair, with eggs and a huge plate of lettuce, cucumber and a few olives.  Covered it all with olive oil.

Tonight  -  fish....  mmmmm... 

Talk later

I so need to tackle the sleep issue.  This is a spousal thing as much as a me thing.  I SHOULD be going to bed not long after the boys do.  But I wind up staying up later to spend some time with my husband, who gets frustrated on the nights I turn in early.

He could be making better decisions about HIS time to help with this as well.  It's a discussion we have to have eventually.

I think I will get the Flex eventually.  I really want to figure out what is going on with my sleep.  I tend to fall asleep okay most nights, but I wake up often.  I probably ought to go in for a sleep study.

You are kicking some butt with this challenge.   Awesome job.

Tonight  -  fish....  mmmmm... 

I like baked salmon for a fish meal, jazzed up with lemon, garlic, pinch of salt, pepper and fresh corriander :)

I SHOULD be going to bed not long after the boys do.  But I wind up staying up later to spend some time with my husband, who gets frustrated on the nights I turn in early.

This could be me speaking. This past week though I've just gone to bed when I need to, because I literally start falling asleep downstairs! 

Well, that is three of us then!!  All sitting up when we should be in bed.  

I made the most amazing fish yesterday haddock fried in equal parts of almond flour, coconut flour and ordinary coconut with a bit of salt.  Really good - kids loved it too.  I had that with green beans.

Today was

Meal 1 - beef with gren beans

Meal 2 - 2 eggs shellfish mixed stuff (looked like crab, prawns and shrimps) with a huge salad.  Covered with olive oil

Meal 3 - pork with cabbage

Need to focus on getting some serious exercise done tonight.

Sorry guys, missed a couple of days as I got updated - so do I look different?  Clearer maybe or something?  Took my hubby all night and nothing works the way it did!!

ANYWAY - food is still going great.  I roasted a chicken and have been eating left over fish and pork this week.  Lunches at work  are actually a lot better than I was expecting.  They had mackerel and eggs today so I had a massive salad.  I hve come to the conclusion that lettuce is not really my friend.  I find that I pile my plate up with the stuff, and am full before I have had my lovely protein or fats.  Will lay off next week, and try and focus on the denser stuff.

I also made my first mango salsa.  I managed to find red, yellow and black/purple tomatoes and chopped them all up with peppers, cucumber coriander, lime juice and S and P.  Yum.

Yesterday was also my first effort at paleo mayo.  I must remember to go easier on the mustard powder next time.  Really good in coleslaw, but I don´t think I could have it "straight".

Managed 11000 steps yesterday, and am trying to break that tonight!  I have loads of plastic to recycle, so shall just walk back and forwards 3 or 4 times, and should get an easy mile or so in.

Bad week for the gym this week (least said the better) but can puter about at home with some KBs and pressups and planks are OK.  ...wish I was 60 sometimes....

OK onward and upward, as they say (I am never too sure who actually says that, but apparently they do!)

When I did the Paleo mayo, I just used an egg, lemon juice, a little salt, and sunflower seed oil.    It was fine in tuna and egg salad.  Maybe skip the mustard next time?

When I did the Paleo mayo, I just used an egg, lemon juice, a little salt, and sunflower seed oil.    It was fine in tuna and egg salad.  Maybe skip the mustard next time?

I used olive oil, and it does have quite a strong flavour.  But, yes, no mustard next time, that´s for sure!!

Aaaaggghhhh!

Kids are eating icecream, and I am contemplating mugging one of them!!!

Must stay strong.  

Off to the Cinema to see RED 2, that will keep my mind of it, and then straight to bed when I come in.  

It´s been a funny day, lots of walking, and bits and pieces, but feel as though I was starving all day.  Had some extra olives and home made coleslaw before dinner tonight, and made sure I had lots of butter on my veggies with roast beef. 

OK, away to change - any excuse to get dressed up!!