ScurvySpider Shakes, Makes & Takes

ScurvySpider

Grades for Week 2 (August 5 - 11)

Goal 1:  Shaky Push-Ups:  Grade = A.  Got it done when out of town by pushing-up while others slept. 

Goal 2:  Make Tracks (15 mi/wk):  Grade = A.   Has not become easy yet, but I’m forming a new habit (walking to/from car).

Goal 3:  Take frequent stretch breaks:  Grade = A+.  Stretched on the road again.  I hope at the end of this 6 weeks, stretching in the car is another new habit.

Thanks to the mini-challenge / Druid's Book of Yoga Poses, for reminding me to mix up the stretch poses before I start to stagnate.

Life Quest:  Papers - 2 hrs/week:  Grade = A+.   I put in 4 hours last week, because there won't be time this week.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest:  Conspiracy Theory:  Grade = F.   I hate admitting this, after my brags about All A’s.  I forgot to include an exception for my own birthday; then once I ate one piece of cake in the restaurant something came unhinged in my brain*.

Mom’s b-day is this weekend; I fully intend to eat frozen mango while the others have home-made cupcakes.  Have informed the family of this; can't wait to see who of the out-of-town folks act like angels (try to help me with my goal) vs. devils (try to undermine).

*something like the AVE -- Abstinence Violation Effect.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1868965,00.html

(“Why Falling Off the Wagon Isn’t Fatalâ€)

I surrendered to the AVE -- but not for more than 1 day.

During that day, it was astonishing how Sugar moved right in to take control of the wheel -- .

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/06/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-sugar/#more-18138

(Leader Steve’s blog “Why Sugar is Worse than Darth Vaderâ€)

-- but I wrested the wheel away.

All thanks to the Nerds of the Rebellion and the wish to not be a bad example !!

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Grades for Week 3 (August 12 - 18)

Early grading since I’ll be on the run/under the gun, for the next several days (getting the youngest into college; taking care of my sick little out-of-state mother).

Goal 1:  Shaky Push-Ups:  Grade = C.  [ Arms are sore.  If I manage a 3rd session this weekend, I’ll sail back in later and raise the grade ]. Edit:  Grade stays a C.

Is the 21st century too late to drag myself into the 20th century?  I have just added an alarm on my phone about push-ups so no more "I forgot" excuses will be tolerated.

Goal 2:  Make Tracks (15 mi/wk):  Grade = D.   (7 miles)  Implemented new parking spot, farther from the office to help get this done.

MID-TERM EVALUATION:  15 miles is not proving too easy.  YET.  So sticking with the 15-mi-wk goal for the final 3 weeks.

Goal 3:  Take frequent stretch breaks:  Grade = A++.   Already had one 6-hour round-trip road trip this week, am about to do another (stretching all the way-ay-ay).

Life Quest:  Papers - 2 hrs/week:  Grade = A.   0 hours this week but did 2 hours ahead last week.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest:  Conspiracy Theory:  rev. Grade = B.  [ If I succumb to desserts this weekend, I’ll creep back and lower the grade. ]  Edit:  Grade drops to B.  This time, I was my own worst devil.  }:->

Isn't stretching the best?!  I can't believe how much better I feel every time I do it.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

You are so great SS, jumping right up and not allowing yourself to be sidetracked by small bumps on the road. The biggest strength is going back to the challenge, and you definitely have that strength.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I LOVE seeing all those A's, SS.  You are doing fantastic!!

I constantly battle with sugar as well, and I've had to go so far as to not eat fruit early in the day because it makes me want sweet things for the rest of the day.  Now if I eat fruit or a sweet of some kind I have to do it after supper = less time to succumb to additional temptation :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I've been one poor correspondent, sorry for that.  Feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails this challenge... won't be bringing in all A's but I think I'll finish stronger, for having dared to set that goal this time.

Grades for Week 4 (August 19-25)

Goal 1:  Shaky Push-Ups:  Grade = C.   2/3 sessions.  My alarm didn’t go off !!  But did 52 total pushups last week, 44 of them shaky, so not 100% dismayed by the C.

Goal 2:  Make Tracks (15 mi/wk):  Grade = B.   (13 miles)  No excuse.  Just got lazy.

Goal 3:  Take frequent stretch breaks:  Grade = A.   I wouldn’t mind holding the sphinx/seal pose 10 minutes every night for the rest of my life. Stretching behind the wheel is proving a harder habit to form.

Life Quest:  Papers - 2 hrs/week:  0 hours this week but I allowed flexibility on this goal -- can make up the time.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest:  Conspiracy Theory:  Grade = B.  I gave in to apple pie, and I don’t even especially like apple pie.   :nightmare:   I think it was just that the endless parade of temptations finally wore me down at the end of the week.  But the habit is still forming for the reflex response to become “I don’t eat that.† I probably turned down 50 chances to be bad, so I’m not 100% dismayed with the B.

I like that you are striving for A's, but don't be at all discouraged by B's. Remember, if it was easy, we wouldn't call it a challenge. You are doing great, and keep going strong, we're all here to cheer you on!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Grades for Week 5 (August 25-Sept 1)

Goal 1: Shaky Push-Ups: Grade = A. 3/3 sessions. 25/60 shaky.

Goal 2: Make Tracks (15 mi/wk): Grade = A. One upside to the 100-degree heat index: drove me indoors to get reacquainted with the neglected treadmill.

Goal 3: Take frequent stretch breaks: Grade = A.

Life Quest: Papers - 2 hrs/week: Incomplete -- uh-oh. Now I have to file for 6 hours in the home stretch but thankfully we're anticipating a quiet week at home.

Diet/Fitness Side Quest: Conspiracy Theory: Grade = Z. I'm evidently in league with the devil. Someone send for the exorcist.

Hey your 3 goals all have As for the week!! Great job. I think with the grade on your side quest you might have an idea what to work on for next challenge. Keep up the great work and finish strong!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

@GoodDoug -- thanks for pointing that out (duh on me for focusing on the lower grades) and for the encouragement. Let me see, on the home stretch, what I can still pull out of my... hat.

Grades for Week 6 (Sept 2-8):

Goal 1:  Shaky Push-Ups:  Grade = A.    A few minutes of shaking & sweating, buys you an entire day of righteousness !

Goal 2:  Make Tracks (15 mi/wk):  Grade = D (6/15 miles).  Will recycle this goal (from the trash can where I kicked it, every time the job got pushy).

Goal 3:  Take frequent stretch breaks:  Grade = A It feels good when I do it (and bad when I don’t).

Life Quest:  Papers - 2 hrs/week (avg):  A.  Squeezed in 6 hours this week.  â€œAs God is my witness -- I’ll never be [backlogged] again!â€

Diet/Fitness Side Quest:  Conspiracy Theory:  Grade = F.  I do not give up.  I will succeed in defaulting to “I don’t eat that†even under stress/duress.

Final Grade Averages:

Pushups = B  (CACCAA.  2+4+2+2+4+4= 18 / 6 = 3.0).

Miles = C (CADBAD.  2+4+1+3+4+1= 15 / 6 = 2.5).

Stretch = A  (AAAAAA.  4+4+4+4+4+4= 24 / 6 = 4.0).

Filing = A  (total 12 hrs filing, pass/fail).

Eating = D (AFBBFF.  4+0+3+3+0+0 = 10/6=1.67).

I think that's an overall Challenge Grade of C+ but I think I still did more than I would have done before!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines