[Mitch Dee] Defeating the "BulK" to find my inner "Hulk"

(This will look a little familiar to some, due to my failure last challenge I am starting over and will be modifying my goals for the new rules and starting in the Level 1 forums)

Since seeing the "Superheroes in training" group I have spent the last few days trying to figure out what superhero I am similar to. This led me to the fact that I am most like the Hulk/Bruce Banner. Unfortunately I do not possess any of the good attributes of the Hulk as I am severely lacking in physical strength and endurance and I eat like a beast. What I do possess is the anger and rage, which is not a good thing. Like Dr. Banner more and more I tend to seek solitude, partly because of disappointment in myself and part out of the fact I have become bitter and cynical. I am determined to push farther from these negative traits and move toward the heroic ones! This will be achieved by working on the Hulk side of my life as well as the Dr. Banner side as well.

Main Quest: “Fighting the ‘BulK’: Find the Shrink Rayâ€

In this episode, we find our hero in search of the tools to help him take revenge on the dreaded “BulK†that has taken over his life.  Somewhere inside him is the “Hulk†but the evil “BulK†has buried the “Hulk†and his powers deep in a gelatinous substance that has to this day withstood everything our hero has thrown at it.  Our hero had recently started to give up all hope and succumb to the “BulK’s†lethargic powers.

But just when all hope was fading our hero heard a noise in the distance, it was exciting and supportive, it filled him with drive.  Investigating the noise he came to find a group of superheroes that were working together, each fighting their own arch enemies but with the help of the others they were winning!!!  Their support gave them victory and the courage to fight their next challenge, and our hero decided he would become one of them!  He knew with their help he could beat the “BulK†and find his inner “Hulkâ€.

With their guidance it was determine that shrinking the “BulK†was the best first strike and the goal was formed: By Jan 1, 2014 the “Bulk†will be shrank down to less than 299 lbs.

How was this to happen?!?!  He would have to find the Shrink Ray!

With the help of his new friends the shrink ray was found, though it was far away and in a location that required new found strength to pass.  A plan was created!

Goal 1: Endurance for running a great distance must be built:

This will be accomplished by completing the Zombies, Run 5 K training app.  Runs will be done 3 times a week.  This is a pass fail mission, if a 5K is not completed the shrink ray will not be recovered!

Goal 2: Strength must be gained to pass the barriers surrounding the ray:

This will be a combination of the Angry Birds workout and the 6 week Sit-up challenge.  Workouts will be on non-run days and will take place 3 times a week as well.  (Grading system will be determined after initial strength test this Saturday)

Goal 3: Our scientists have learned the “BulK†maintains its strength from complex over processed fuel sources.  In turn it can be weakened by using clean, basic fuels:

A Paleo strong diet must be adopted in order to promote this effect.  Food tracking is a must in order to determine the true exposure of the fuels given to the fiend!! (Per week -> 18+ meals = A, 17 = B, 16 = C, 15 or less = FAIL)

Life Goal: In order to maintain discipline our hero must stay focused and motivated:

Daily motivation will be posted to help push in the right direction, to help maintain a positive mindset.  This will hopefully help him and all of his new superhereo friends.  The “BulK’s†ally “Master De-Motivator†is out there looking to stop our hero and his new friends at any opportunity that presents itself!  Signs will also be placed in highly traveled areas to remind him of his mission.  (Graded on weekly number of posts: 6+ = A, 5 = B, 4 or less = FAIL)

The plan was approved, the course set.  How will our hero fair?  Will the Shrink Ray be found?  Will the “BulK†prevail?  What foul plan does “Master De-Motivator†have in store for our hero and his friends?  Nothing has worked before, will that change?  Tune in and share in the daily adventure and help our hero defeat the “BulKâ€!!!!

Motivation:

"Why am I doin' this to myself", is often a thought that runs thought my head in moments of weakness.  The answer is simple, this is why:

Mitch Phone 003

This is my daughter Aria, 30mins after her premature birth, being 11 weeks early and weighing 2 lbs 14 oz. And yes, that is my finger she is holding. She is a true superhero!!

Ironically the first 6 weeks of her life were a challenge. She spent 6 weeks in the NICU. With all the doctors telling us the worst case scenarios, for 2 days before her birth and for the next few weeks after, my wife and I held our breath. But she is a champ, to her doctors amazement she never needed a respirator, or even oxygen, she had no issues gaining weight and surpassed all required tests to be released exactly 6 weeks after her birth at 5 lbs 8 oz.

Mitch Phone 111

Over the past 14 months she has continued this trend and has tore through every developmental milestone, some even ahead of a well baby’s development schedule. One day I want to scare her would be boyfriends, walk her down the aisle, be there for every bump and bruise; and if I do not change my life I will not get to be there. It’s that simple!

IMG 8954

One day I want her to look at me and be half as proud  of me as I already am of her. She is why I do this!

Challenge Starting Stats:

Weight:  353.6
Body Fat:  45%
Neck:  18.5"
Chest:  55"
Waist:  59"
Hips:  54.5"

*all measurements at wides area

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Mitch! Great to see you back in the thick of it! Us big guys will cruise through this one together.

I also set a running goal during the last challenge and found it to be tough going - and also think it slowed my weight loss for reasons I discussed in my 10 July post (2nd challenge link below).  But I was doing C25K, I know nothing about the zombie app. And do what works for you.

Gook luck and Godspeed, Hulk!

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Mitch, you're going to rule this and if at any time you feel your motivation flagging please hit your squad up.  We will give you as much motivation as you need.  Remember that even if you're only working on one of your goals, you're still achieving something towards your mission!!  That's what i love most about the new look challenges!! 

We're here and we're ready to fight!!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I got your back, mate.   :)

Armour up and steel your will.  This time we take the fight to the Bulk instead.

Now the lighten the mood a little bit, check this out -- it's oddly appropriate: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

I love the Blerch, because I have one, too.  I'm gonna smash him into next week.  Actually scratch that, I'm going to smash him into 6 weeks away!  See ya, Blerch!

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

This is amazing! I'm so excited to watch your quest to recover the Shrink Ray! Subbing :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

Fabulous! Yes, I'm totally looking forward to buddying up with you. This place is the most amazing thing I've ever found. I've never been so motivated and inspired to get in shape.

I also love the way you've written out your mission. I wish I was creative enough to be clever with mine! :D

I look forward to seeing what you can do!

PS: You've inspired me to d/l the Zombies app. I've been looking forward to the day that I can start it, but perhaps I should just get over it and get started on it now. :)

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

Previous Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

“Decorum is highly overrated and probably causes cancer.”  ~ Jenny Lawson

Mitch, Aria's truly a worthy motivation.  You've got a date with her and an aisle someday.  Shove that Bulk guy aside so you can make it.

OrcWarrior

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Day 1:

Well boys and girls it is that time, a new challenge has begun!!

Was up at 0530 and warming up for Angry Birds workout by 0555.

-Jump Rope: 7 mins, including personal best of 23 jumps without stopping

-Squats, BW: 80 total, 4 sets of 20

-Incline Push Ups: 21 in 3 sets; 10, 6, 5

-Single Arm Row: 45 in 3 sets of 15; 15 lbs Kettle bell, each arm

-Planks: 123 secs in 3 sets; 45, 45, 33

So far breakfast and snack recorded on My Fitness Pal, and no processed food.

Motivation:

(Having problems with the uploader and the forums in general so I hope this shows up)

You have now been motivated! lol

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I am also fighting "BulK" and your reason for doing this is awesome... I had a similar reason almost 8 years ago and I lost 64 lbs... but then I eased up and gained some back.... so your story got me all choked up. I am definitely gonna follow your progress and be a super-cheerleader for ya.

Mitch, your motivation is beautiful (and adorable at that! What a cutie!).

Great goals! And awesome first day workout! And great job on the jump rope!!! How did the food tracking and Paleo round out today? 

Love the All Black video. :D

I'm a SIT with you this time around! Let's bring down evil. 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Hello Mitch! Your post has brought me to tears, and I'm at work. lol What a wonderful motivation, such a beautiful lil girl. I'm so glad to hear she is happy and thriving after such an early and precariuos entrance to this world. Love the way you've phrased this, like a story. It's more fun to read this way.

I love the personification of the "Bulk" trying to take over the Hulk. That's a great tool to identify and destroy bad habits.

Looking forward to this challenge, can't wait to see what it brings you!

Level 3 Human Ranger

STR 3.2 STA 3.2   CON 7 DEX 2 WIS 7.5 CHA 4.5

Day2 Motivation:

Still having problems with the uploader for my albums so no picture motivation today, but it's the message that counts:

"Do not compare your Chapter 1 to someone elses Chapter 20"

hoping the uploader will be fixed soon but for now this will do.

Current Challenge

Hi Mitch - saw you post the ABs vid above and couldn't resist popping in to say 'Kia ora!' from NZ ;)

And a G'day back at ya!

I am also fighting "BulK" and your reason for doing this is awesome... I had a similar reason almost 8 years ago and I lost 64 lbs... but then I eased up and gained some back.... so your story got me all choked up. I am definitely gonna follow your progress and be a super-cheerleader for ya.

Thanks lamtt, and congrats on the 64 lbs lost!  I know some came back and that can be almost as hard to deal with than anything else (trust me I just put on 17 lbs in a 5 week shame spiral) but I know you can get back on track and knock it back off!  We all can, with the support from each other.

Great goals! And awesome first day workout! And great job on the jump rope!!! How did the food tracking and Paleo round out today? 

tracked all food, and stay pretty close to pure Paleo, I had two corn tortillas with lunch.  I was proud of the first day workout until this morning and now my thighs are letting me know that they are angry!!  Guess it just backs up the "Angry" part of the workout title!

Love the way you've phrased this, like a story. It's more fun to read this way.

I love the personification of the "Bulk" trying to take over the Hulk. That's a great tool to identify and destroy bad habits.

Thanks EA.  I will be suming up each week as a story entry.  I figured it would help keep me interested, and not over burdened by the thought of having to post a story everyday.

It's been raining here all day, hoping it will clear up so I can get my Zombies, Run training in tonight (if my legs will allow me to!!!).

Current Challenge

Great post. I'm in the same boat.  My inner Hulk is raging to get out!  I also have a three year old ray of sunshine as my motivation.  I did my 5k last challenge and I've got to say it feels great to do it, especially for us BIG guys.  I'll definitely be looking forward to your updates.

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

I was proud of the first day workout until this morning and now my thighs are letting me know that they are angry!!  Guess it just backs up the "Angry" part of the workout title!

Ha! For sure. Appropriate for the Hulk, though ;)

Nice work on Day 1 Paleo, too!!!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Glad you're off and running, Hulk - literally and figuratively.  :peaceful:   But hey - if daily posts seem burdensome, then don't....  remember, the right workout (and posting routine, and motivational technique, and... etc.) is the one that you'll stick with.  Keep it doable!

I'm rooting for you!  Keep going!

OrcWarrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines