• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

mitch_dee

[Mitch Dee] Defeating the "BulK" to find my inner "Hulk"

I'm just going to quote Thorns because he said it better than I could (as always). 

Mitch, listen to me here for a second.  Do not beat yourself up over this past week.  You made exactly the right call all the way through that, as far as I can tell.  Willpower is a muscle, and it needs to rest between workouts as well.  And let me tell you, it takes willpower to hold someone else up and be there for them when they need it -- and not fall to pieces yourself.  At every stage of the day, every day of the week, we're asked to make a priority call -- do I do this, or that right now.  Your family needed you, and you made the right call.  I don't think less of you because you fell down in between those bouts of providing support.  I think more of you because when it was needed, you were there.

What an awful week, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Also, I hope your friends' week-old is doing better.

Honestly, in addition to the fact that it's definitely okay the challenge was deprioritized with all that happened, I actually think you didn't do so bad given everything that happened (plus work!). You're getting through it, you've been around the forum, and you're back. You never gave up! That's even more than I could've asked for this week. 

Your family is lucky to have you Mitch. Way to be an awesome husband and dad!

I'm glad you're here. Let us know how the workouts go this weekend! Awesome job getting right back at it!!! 

Mitch, I'm so sorry to hear about the crappy week your family went through.  I've got to echo what everyone else has been saying.  Don't get down about slipping on your challenge.  You've had to man up and get your family, friends and yourself through a true rough patch.  We're all here for you and our prayers go out to you and yours.

Mitch challenge one - hit a wall, crashed.  Lengthy pullout time.

Mitch challenge two - hit a wall, slipped and fell, got right back up and plunged in. 

Guy, great response!  Way to get back on the horse and keep riding!  You're doing it!

I agree with the others Mitch, you totally made the right call. I went off the rails in my first challenge after I was in a car crash, but the difference is I was totally selfish with my decisions, because it was me who had been involved in the accident. You put others first, you were there for them, and you really didn't do too badly challenge-wise on top of all that!

That is an amazing thing right there. You did SOMETHING, even with the world collapsing around you. In a tough situation you didn't buckle. Remember that in future tough times. You are awesome dude.

First off, thank you all for the support!!  I realize that life will happen and throw curveballs at us from time to time and I was determined to not balk at this one.  Those of you that were around the last challenge attempt know that I did not recover from my last insane curveball, not his time.  I maintained my cool during this trying time, did what I needed to do and did not take it as a personal fualt or mistake for what I did or did not eat or lack of workouts. 

The first 2 days of this week were scratched due to the visitation and funeral were on Monday, so it was a day of support, friends and family......and lots of country cooking.  I also learned that I can no longer drink.  I pretty much stopped drinking after Aria was born, but Monday night I had 3 cocktails and Tuesday I was hungover so bad I felt like it was the end of a weekend college bender!  So no workout yesterday.  But again not taking it to heart, back in gear, the grind started this morning and it's time to tear down some walls.

Day 17 (I think) Motivation:

runwalkcrawlnevergiveup_zpsabe8c872.jpg

As of this morning my 5k training has officialy reached 5k!  Completed 3.3 miles in 52 minutes; first free run was a untimed nonstop 1/4 mile, followed by the interval training.  The last free run was used to complete a full mile with minimal walking in roughly 13:30.....I believe a personal best for the last decade!

Spent last evening after my recovery cooking.  Ran the grill on overtime; pork steaks, grilled sausage stuffed zucchini, corn on the cob.  Also grilled peppers and garlic for a large vat of homemade hummus, low fat and cal version, no tahini used!  So I'm ready for the next few days foodwise.  Oh and I resisted warm homemade peach cobbler that my wife made today, had her take all of it to work with her so no temptation was left here. 

Incredible-Hulk-animated-animation-male-  Time to tear the walls down!!

Go Mitch!!

I had the same experience with alcohol a few weeks ago.  I had 2 cocktails and i was smashed (don't know if you read my report on that) and i used to be the one that drank everyone else under the table. Our body functions differently when we train it and feed it that way, so i guess it's totally to be expected.

Good luck with week 3.

Day 17 (I think) Motivation:

runwalkcrawlnevergiveup_zpsabe8c872.jpg

As of this morning my 5k training has officialy reached 5k!  Completed 3.3 miles in 52 minutes; first free run was a untimed nonstop 1/4 mile, followed by the interval training.  The last free run was used to complete a full mile with minimal walking in roughly 13:30.....I believe a personal best for the last decade!

Spent last evening after my recovery cooking.  Ran the grill on overtime; pork steaks, grilled sausage stuffed zucchini, corn on the cob.  Also grilled peppers and garlic for a large vat of homemade hummus, low fat and cal version, no tahini used!  So I'm ready for the next few days foodwise.  Oh and I resisted warm homemade peach cobbler that my wife made today, had her take all of it to work with her so no temptation was left here. 

Incredible-Hulk-animated-animation-male-  Time to tear the walls down!!

Love this motivational!  I feel like this during most work outs, I force my self to hop, hobble or crawl my way to the finish.  Form be Damned at least I got it done!  Keep 'em coming!!

Day 18 Motivation:

nothowfartogobuthowfaryouvecome_zps12cef

This is a lesson that can be hard to learn.  I have tried to change myself and failed more times than I can count.  In the past when I have set a goal it was always some monumental feat, I will lose 100 lbs, I will stop eating all carbs and refined food, I will raise my GPA from a 2.0 to a 4.0 in a semester, I will leap a building and sprout wings.....ok maybe not the last one but you get the point.  Every time I failed it was because I focused on how far I had to go and that I had made little to no progress in the overall scheme, once I had this realization it seemed impossible I would just quit.  It was not until I realized that it's not where I need to end up that matters, it's what I have done and continue to do that is important.

Do yourself a favor when things get tough, take a minute and focus on what you have done, not matter how small that success may be to you.  You lose 100 lbs one pound at a time, you can only make a mile taking one step after the other.  Focus on the fact you took that last step, keep an eye on your destination, but focus on how far you have come, and before you know it you will have already reached your goal.

Hi Mitch, I love love love your motivation! Aria is a sweetie for sure! And I'm so very sorry to hear about your horrible week. You have been a true husband, father and friend when those things were needed most (and probably will be for quite some time). 

Your day 18 motivation speaks to me. It is hard sometimes when we know where we want to go, but realize there is SO much in the way of us being there now. We have to look back to see how far we have actually come and all the things that have been accomplished. You've run 5k!! You are pre-cooking meals to help you when you need that good food asap! The only way to go forward is to take a step. And that means that you have to go further than you ever have before. One step starts it, then before you know it, that 1 step will have turned into 1,000. You can do it. You have the will and the power to do it. Just keep taking that step.

Day19 Motivation:

6minsor16amileisamile_zps72e8c7c5.jpg

Todays motivation comes to you on the heels of finishing another full 5k in distance workout, in just under 47 minutes.  Final mile was 13:43, with a 1/2 mile run non-stop (really have no memory of ever doing that before) a quick 1/8 mile walk, and the rest run non-stop.  I believe I now know what a runners high is, I walked off that track feeling like a beast!!  

What I feel best about was during the 1/2 mile push a little voice in my head called to me saying, "just stop, you're tired, no one would be suprised if you fail, no one thinks you can do it, you don't even think you can do it" (this was obviously the voice of my old fat self fighting to live on)....... but I pollitly told that voice to 'Fuck off!, I can do this and will do this Welcome to the Grind!!!' and I did! 

I would like to thank you all, I use to have zero faith in myself, but then I met all of you and your confidence and faith in me have helped to push when I had none.  When I feel like giving in I honestly think of all of you and realize that I can't let you all down and I push harder, it may only be one more step or rep, but it is because of you all and your support.

Day19 Motivation:

Todays motivation comes to you on the heels of finishing another full 5k in distance workout, in just under 47 minutes.  Final mile was 13:43, with a 1/2 mile run non-stop (really have no memory of ever doing that before) a quick 1/8 mile walk, and the rest run non-stop.  I believe I now know what a runners high is, I walked off that track feeling like a beast!!  

Woot!  That is amazing, well done!

Day 18 Motivation:

This is a lesson that can be hard to learn.  I have tried to change myself and failed more times than I can count.  In the past when I have set a goal it was always some monumental feat, I will lose 100 lbs, I will stop eating all carbs and refined food, I will raise my GPA from a 2.0 to a 4.0 in a semester, I will leap a building and sprout wings.....ok maybe not the last one but you get the point.  Every time I failed it was because I focused on how far I had to go and that I had made little to no progress in the overall scheme, once I had this realization it seemed impossible I would just quit.  It was not until I realized that it's not where I need to end up that matters, it's what I have done and continue to do that is important.

Do yourself a favor when things get tough, take a minute and focus on what you have done, not matter how small that success may be to you.  You lose 100 lbs one pound at a time, you can only make a mile taking one step after the other.  Focus on the fact you took that last step, keep an eye on your destination, but focus on how far you have come, and before you know it you will have already reached your goal.

Hi Mitch - I've just been catching up on your thread, and the Day 18 motivation really resonated with me. I've also just struggled with meeting my goals due to life's little curveballs (although not nearly as intense as yours) and the message in your motivation is one I've been trying to tell myself too. Well done on sticking with it and staying present as much as possible!

Day19 Motivation:

6minsor16amileisamile_zps72e8c7c5.jpg

It's because you are a beast, my friend.  Keep with it -- I speak from experience in saying that you will have more experiences like that.  You can't predict when they'll come, but they will come, and each one will be just as sweet as this first.

Love that picture, too.  That's my thinking behind the half-marathon I'm eyeing for next year...

FYI... your final mile was faster than my whole City2Surf run pace (~14:01 per mile).

Keep up the good work Mitch! You have been through so much this past couple of weeks and youa re still pushing forward! This is an amazing accomplishment in itself. I assume most of us are here because we didnt do that at some point in our lives. I know I am. Your motivation poster thingies are excellent. I love how they all applaud the steps taken not the end goals. You are killing it My friend! I am happy to say I know an Incredible Hulk!

Day19 Motivation:

What I feel best about was during the 1/2 mile push a little voice in my head called to me saying, "just stop, you're tired, no one would be suprised if you fail, no one thinks you can do it, you don't even think you can do it" (this was obviously the voice of my old fat self fighting to live on)....... but I pollitly told that voice to 'Fuck off!, I can do this and will do this Welcome to the Grind!!!' and I did! 

I would like to thank you all, I use to have zero faith in myself, but then I met all of you and your confidence and faith in me have helped to push when I had none.  When I feel like giving in I honestly think of all of you and realize that I can't let you all down and I push harder, it may only be one more step or rep, but it is because of you all and your support.

Awesome job, Mitch!  Way to fight that battle in your head - and that's the one that counts.  The farther I come (hit 60 lbs down this am - yay!), the more I'm convinced that what happens in my body is merely a reflection of what's going on inside my head.  The more I win the mental battle, the more successful I am in doing the actions that make me physically healthier.  So keep on running, brother!

BTW, your time beat mine as well (16:02/mile) from my Warrior Dash last week.  :encouragement:   Keep it up!

Day 21 Motivation:

tumblr_meq0ouc64F1qkj4aro1_400_zps3288d6

This statement is 100% true!  Your bod may give out, your muscles might quit and can't do one more rep, take one more step.  But if you did do not have the mental drive to push yourself to that point you will never now that you could get there.  I have worked out on and off for about 2 years, with and without a personal trainer, and at all times I thought I was doing well (ignore that fact I still ate like a hog) but for most of that time I never really pushed myself.  Yes I worked to the point of being tired but I always seemed to throw in the towel early, or put a knee down with 10 secs to go in a plank, etc.  I realized on my runs both Friday and this morning that my body may get tired but my mind is what truly pushes me on.  Today as the first day that I truly missed running on a treadmill, my shins and calves ached at about the 15 min mark, my feet followed a few mins later.  All I wanted to do was stop and walk, but I realized this was a knee jerk reaction to not being comfortable.  So I politely told myself to suck it up and keep going.  I realized the discomfort not to mention the mild bloating was not conducive to trying to run nonstop distances, but I was not going to allow it to blow my whole workout, my brain kicked in and I pushed through.  I focused on time and not distance, I changed the pattern up and still completed the 5k in just at 47 mins (47:23 I think).  It was after I had forced myself to sprint the last 20 yards to make my time that I realized I my mind pushed me through, there were so many points I could have stopped, but my mind would not let me and therefore my body pushed through. 

tldr:  at 350+ lbs I never thought I could go 5K in under an hour, let alone in 47 mins, but without the sheer force of the thought 'I WILL do this!' did I make it possible.  Keep your mind right, and positive and the rest will fall in place!

Mind over Matter!  As always your motivationals ROCK!  Day 21 reminds me of my favorite line from Balboa "It's not how hard you hit but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.  That's how winning is done!"  Your body doesn't pick you up and keep you going.  Your Mind/Heart does.  Keep it up HULK!!

Day 21 Motivation:

This statement is 100% true!  Your bod may give out, your muscles might quit and can't do one more rep, take one more step.  But if you did do not have the mental drive to push yourself to that point you will never now that you could get there.  I have worked out on and off for about 2 years, with and without a personal trainer, and at all times I thought I was doing well (ignore that fact I still ate like a hog) but for most of that time I never really pushed myself.  Yes I worked to the point of being tired but I always seemed to throw in the towel early, or put a knee down with 10 secs to go in a plank, etc.  I realized on my runs both Friday and this morning that my body may get tired but my mind is what truly pushes me on.  Today as the first day that I truly missed running on a treadmill, my shins and calves ached at about the 15 min mark, my feet followed a few mins later.  All I wanted to do was stop and walk, but I realized this was a knee jerk reaction to not being comfortable.  So I politely told myself to suck it up and keep going.  I realized the discomfort not to mention the mild bloating was not conducive to trying to run nonstop distances, but I was not going to allow it to blow my whole workout, my brain kicked in and I pushed through.  I focused on time and not distance, I changed the pattern up and still completed the 5k in just at 47 mins (47:23 I think).  It was after I had forced myself to sprint the last 20 yards to make my time that I realized I my mind pushed me through, there were so many points I could have stopped, but my mind would not let me and therefore my body pushed through. 

tldr:  at 350+ lbs I never thought I could go 5K in under an hour, let alone in 47 mins, but without the sheer force of the thought 'I WILL do this!' did I make it possible.  Keep your mind right, and positive and the rest will fall in place!

Agreed, when I was running, I'd always tell myself to just run to the next hydro pole...the next one...that mailbox up there. Now that i"m doing more ST, I try not to look at the timer during planks, and talk myself through the reps for other moves (Only 5 left, I can do it). Your mind is what controls how and what you do. If you can think it, you can achieve it. It might take time, but you can get to that goal. Keep thinking that you can and you will, Mitch!

I'm proud of you, and your mind. Congrats on your sub hour 5K! You did it! What's your next goal?

I owe you a big thanks.  I nearly didn't finish my run last night.  It was hot, humid, my hip hurt and a huge crowd of people were gathered at the track I run (to watch a pee-wee football game on a neighboring field) and it felt like they ALL were staring at me.  Anyway, I just wanted to quit and limp home UNTIL I remembered Day 21 Motivation.  I almost gave up one lap short of my goal.  Thanks for pushing my on.

Hello Mitch!

Terrific story line and well thought out execution of your goals. I love that you have daily motivations and your daughter is adorable. My sister's baby was born at 25 weeks and has been in the NICU since May 22nd of this year. Babies are incredible! I hope you are rocking this week :)

Reading through this thread was just amazing. Your attitude is so inspiring. Keep kicking ass and taking names. :)