• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

mitch_dee

[Mitch Dee] Defeating the "BulK" to find my inner "Hulk"

Day (I have no idea) Motivation:

Life seems to be a little crazy for most everyone so I figure it's a good time to break out a favorite of mine:

inspired-quotes-advice-0_zps8ae38b77.jpg

Sometimes it is just that simple.....Life can suck at times but you get what your dealt, and you play that hand to the best of your abilities.  You try your hardest look your opponents in the face and you try your damnedness to win.  You may not take the pot, but you know you tried the hardest and be ready for the next hand that comes your way.  The game only stops when you give up and fold for good.

Mitch this challenge is going so much better than the last one and i'm thrilled for you :)

Good luck with the last 2 weeks.

Hey Mitch! AWESOME work!!!

Hope your hand is looking a little better at the end of this week! Or that you at least have an Ace up your sleeve ;)

I love what you said in your Day 21 Motivation. That's definitely one of my biggest struggles. Doing it even when my brain tells me I'm done. I was realizing in Pilates the other day that for me, I think, it's partially about fear. Fear of just not knowing how my body is going to handle something, not even necessarily related to injury. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how this week went! :)

I love these motivatinal sayings! Playing a poor hand well - that just speaks volumes to me. You get what you get, you can't change that in so much as we can't change our height, our skin color, what our brain chemistry is, who our family is, ect. BUT I do have control over how I handle it, what I do with it. That's a nice moment of clarity for me. Thanks, friend. :)

Well I guess this challenge is over.  Part of me is thrilled the other is a little disappointed.  I will skip week 5 & 6 recap, easily summed up in fail.

Challenge recap:

Goal 1:  5K training=> I did not complete the Zombies, Run 5k trainer and have not ran since week 4.  I will take solace in the fact that I did complete a walk/run 5k 3 different times.  Due to getting this fat tub of 350 lbs of goo moving that much in 47 mins I will at least reward myself with a C.

Goal 2: Strength training=> Did the Angry Birds workout for 4 weeks.  Improved from 50 standard squats to 105 overhead squats in 3 reps, tripled total pushups and went from 20 bent rows to 100 each arm in 2 sets.  Again due to the lack of working the last two weeks I will only receive a C.

Goal 3: Diet, Paleo and tracking=> FAIL!  No tracking, and no regard for food, in fact I may have even digressed beyond my starting point.

Life Goal:  Motivation=> Fail, I don’t even think I averaged 3 a week.

This challenge started great, just as all things a take up at first.  Hell out of the gate, but fades in the long run!!  At week 5 I turned 35.  At this point I decided it was somehow a good idea to go back to school to finish my degree, while working 40+ hours a week, trying to maintain a household and raise a 15 month old.  Oh, and my health insurance went up $285 a month, yes a month, that’s roughly $3500 more a year that I now have to pay on top of our already overpriced insurance.  How does that blood from a stone comment go…….

Anyway, I will not regard this challenge as a failure.  I have unfortunately had the time, while wallowing in pity, to analyze myself.  I am not a fan of what I have learned and have no clue where to start to change these things, but if I don’t I will not have a very long life, and what I will have will not be enjoyable.

I have no idea if I will take on the next challenge; I honestly have no idea if I can make it through the next week with everything else going on as well. 

If I do not join in I will at least be keeping tabs on you guys.  I may not have commented as much during the end but I have been reading your threads the last two weeks.  I am very proud of all of you, there have been some huge success’s and some great discoveries that each of you have made.  

Mitch, I think you did much better than you think you did.  I think you're just in a mindset that doesn't see the good you *have* done. 

Something i've picked up is that you go great guns the first few weeks, but then peter off (who doesn't really), so have you considered splitting your challenge in 2?  You know like 2x 3 week challenges.  I'm quite happy for you to join the Adventurers and do that!  You can do 3 weeks and then post another challenge for the remaining 3 weeks with different goals, if that's what you'd like to do.  Sometimes the 6WC format doesn't suit everyone and we're willing to be flexible with those who need to find their stride. Maybe you even want to pare your goals down to just one or two goals to focus on.  It's not mandatory to do 4 goals, you can do 2 if you want.  The ultimate goal is to find a path that sticks and works for you and that gets you to a healthier version of you. 

I also re-evaluated my challenge goals at the mid way mark and that helped me pick it up again. I also pick one of my goals as my "do or die" goal and when the times start getting tough it's the only one i focus on until i'm able to get the rest up and running again. It definitely helps.

Another thing - sometimes Paleo isn't for everyone and sometimes it's a lot harder going Paleo for some than for others.  Our great leader, Spezzy, did it in a staged approach too, by gradually letting go of things.  Maybe that would help you?  Choose only one thing to let go off for a challenge (bread, pasta, rice, corn, whatever) or you could even *just* spend a challenge tracking what you eat (without making changes and counting macros)?  Think of how you will tackle your goals in the simplest approach with the smallest number of steps. Take the path of least resistance while still achieving your main quest. Most importantly tell us what's going on so that we can offer your reassurance, motivation or advice - we're all in this race too (some just further ahead and others a little further behind) :)

I hope we see you next challenge, but if you need a break then take it :)

Hugs xxx

I total agree with Blaidd.  I think you and I have the same problem, we're either Balls to the Wall or nothing.  But you need to see all the forward progress you made.  4 weeks of training that's great.  Diet? That's always hard to change.  I'm not going to begin to tell you all the things I've tried for diet that just didn't work.  So your diet goal didn't work this time around, that's not a failure that's DATA.  Reassess and try something new.

Oh and most importantly I vote you definitely upgrade your Motivation grade.  You may not have posted as often as you'd like but you made a HUGE, I repeat HUGE, impact on everyone that read your thread. Go back and reread the responses throughout the challenge... I mean right now I'll wait....  

SEE WHAT I MEAN!!! You Motivated Us ALL to do better.  Personally, Your motivationals got me through my tougher workouts!  From a fellow Hulk wannabe please come back next challenge.

Oh and most importantly I vote you definitely upgrade your Motivation grade.  You may not have posted as often as you'd like but you made a HUGE, I repeat HUGE, impact on everyone that read your thread. Go back and reread the responses throughout the challenge... I mean right now I'll wait....  

SEE WHAT I MEAN!!! You Motivated Us ALL to do better.  Personally, Your motivationals got me through my tougher workouts!  From a fellow Hulk wannabe please come back next challenge.

^A very belated THIS. Mitch you are a huge motivator. I also was pretty absent this challenge, but I was htg thinking of you IRL and being motivated. So please cut yourself some slack! 

Also, I'm loving Blaidd's suggestions for you!