Eating after workouts

Not quite sure where this belongs, but here it goes anyways:

I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how important it is to eat protein within an hour after a workout?

I just finished a pretty tough workout, and food is the last thing on my mind, in fact considering its almost 6am and I haven't slept yet, sleep is pretty much a top priority at the moment. If I go to sleep now and eat when I wake up am I going to be losing a lot of potential muscle growth?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

The way you've framed the question indicates you already know the answer: Yes, you're missing out. Where do you think your muscles are going to get the protein and aminos to rebuild? You need the three "S"es: steak, sweetpotato and sleep. Ok, you can get away with most animal-based protein, but "the two 's'es and ABP" doesn't have the same ring to it. Now go club a lower-order mammal and get your muscles rebuilding.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

The "experts" that I've read all say to eat within a half hour (some say up to an hour) post-workout. Yes, your body will allocate the previously ingested protein and whatnot as fuel and for rebuilding. But I believe from an efficiency standpoint, getting protein and some carbs (e.g. sweetpotato) as soon as you can post-workout will be better for recovery. If you're high protein for breakfast, then something like a sweetpotato afterward will be good for recovering your sugars without taxing your liver (if I'm remembering my Robb Wolf correctly :) ).

this place totally needs to be sponsored by the Sweetpotato Growers of America or something. Monetize this b!tch :)

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

yh the 'experts' do say that you're body in a state of....... (forgot the word) and you need to eat protein stop you're muscles catabolising i.e. eating themselves for protein so yh three s's sounds like a plan but would of thought you'd need something faster digesting then animal, avian foetus (eggs) are faster i think so i'd go for that, maybe as scramble with a load of veg for antioxidants to flush out the lactic acid

I'm a vegan so I stick with Brendan Brazier and Matt Ruscigno's advice. After working out, I eat something easy to digest, with ratios of 5-4:2:1 carbs:protein:fat. Ie, 10g of protein, 40-50g of carbs, and 5g of good fats. But, remember that I am (most likely) physically smaller than you, and my workouts are running, or Krav Maga, which are, perhaps, more cardio based than what you do. So more protein may well do you good.

The easy to digest part is important; your body has enough to be getting on with without allocating resources to breaking up food. That's why a lot of athletes go with smoothies. I have a fruit smoothie with hemp powder and ground flaxseeds in it, though I have no clue how paleo that is.