Hey!

I have recently been introduced to the world of strength training and have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. So far I am loving it - cannot get enough :) But I do want to make sure I stay motivated and continue putting in the effort to better myself - what better way to do this then to join in here.

As a brief intro - I am 22 and living in Australia. I work a desk job full time, study full time and commute 3hours a day so time to exercise has been a serious issue for me. I have now told myself no more excuses! My overall aim at the moment it to get strong, lose some fat and put on some muscle! As an addition to this - I would really like to be able to squat and deadlift my bodyweight in the not too distant future. 

Current Stats:

Height -    5'10''

Weight -   65.5kg (144lbs)

BF% - ~19.4%

Stronglifts 5x5 Current stats:

Squat - 40kg (88lbs)

Deadlift - 50kg (110lbs)

Bench - 25kg (55lbs)

Row - 25kg (55lbs)

OHP - 17.5kg (38.5lbs)

Motivation

Having an awesome summer body!! (Its currently Winter in Oz!)

Being able to lift heavy things all by myself!

Main Quest - Build strength!

Mission One - Progress

+1 STR

I want to work towards being able to squat and deadlift my body weight. Although I don’t think this will happen within this challenge, I still intend to set myself up so this can eventually happen.

Considering I am on a linear progression program and also new to lifting, I understand that I should be making progress basically in every workout and this has been true so far! Throughout this challenge I want to make sure that I am pushing myself enough to make continued progress in my strength & form. Progress can be adding weight to any of the lifts I do that day, or improving form that I had been having trouble with.

Grading

A - Make some noticeable progress on lifts every workout AND add at least 10kg (22lbs) to each of my squat and deadlift over 6 weeks

B - Make some noticeable progress on lifts every workout

C - Make noticeable progress on lifts in most workouts

F - Make noticeable progress on lifts in none, or very few workouts

Mission Two - Habit

+1 STA

As I am still relatively new to the whole gym scene and making the effort to go regularly, I want to make sure I build a habit during this challenge.  So my goal is to make it at least 3 times a week for the entire challenge. Preferably I would like to keep this to M/W/F but these days can be switched around my crazy schedule if need be.

Grading

A - Make it at least three times a week every week of the challenge

B - Only miss one session over the course of the challenge

C - Only miss two sessions over the course of the challenge

F - Missed more than 2 sessions.

Mission Three - Fuel

+1 CON

Before starting my strength training journey I was eating fairly low calories (~1400cal / day), which did not include enough protein. As dinner is usually cooked for me it has sometimes been difficult to manage what I eat. Now that I am strength training however I am keen to make sure I get plenty of protein in my diet. To do this I will be aiming for ~30% protein per day and I will also be eating closer to my maintenance calories (~1900/day), In addition I want to have more pre-packed lunches for work, rather then eating out everyday.

Grading

A - Meet protein goal of 30% at least three days per week, and take at least 1 pre-packed lunch to work each week

B - Meet protein goal of 30% at least three days per week

C - Meet protein goal of 30% at least two days per week

F - Did not meet protein goal for more than one day per week

Life Quest

+1 WIS

I have just started my final semester of Uni and have so far achieved a great GPA score and have scored a job offer for next year. I really want to keep my GPA up and because I have already landed the job my motivation to get good marks has plummeted. So, my life goal is to make sure that I get all my assignments in ON TIME! No extensions, no excuses. As a side note to this, I have been quite sick lately (glandular fever) and I will not allow myself to use this as an excuse for assignments not being submitted on time.

Grading

A - All assignments handed in on time

F - All assignments were not handed in on time.

Let the challenge begin :smile-new:

Lozz

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

Thanks, I actually agree with you about the deadlift. :) Before last night it seemed a lot further off but i managed a rep at 60kg fairly easily when It was suggested that I give it a try haha I wrote this post about a week ago though so didnt take that into account.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Inspirational. I can lift a fifty lb bag of dog food. One day, I'd like to lift stuff for fun.

This is the first time I have every tried it - enjoying it way more that i thought i would and I am always looking forward to gym days! Just have to keep that motivation going ...

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Does carrying two kiddos count towards the lift heavy things? (They are currently 35 and 38 pounds respectively) If so, I am already covered in that department.

Seriously though, looks good! 

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

First off! Thanks for including stuff in lbs. for us non-sensical US folk who aren't versed in the ways of the metric haha. Secondly, nice goals they seem pretty solid! I've heard 1g per 1lb. (0.45kg) is a good ratio for protein intake if that helps any. As far as your life challenge goal goes, I've never been one for school haha but in work I'm pretty competitive and I'll take any chance I can to learn something new and gain a foothold above my peers (If I do I get rewarded with a good Evaluation and an early promotion but hey, that's the military for you lol). If it helps to think like that for your new future job then great!

Lastly, digging the Toph profile picture. I'm currently re-watching the series and forgot about all the feels! lol.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

First off! Thanks for including stuff in lbs. for us non-sensical US folk who aren't versed in the ways of the metric haha. Secondly, nice goals they seem pretty solid! I've heard 1g per 1lb. (0.45kg) is a good ratio for protein intake if that helps any. As far as your life challenge goal goes, I've never been one for school haha but in work I'm pretty competitive and I'll take any chance I can to learn something new and gain a foothold above my peers (If I do I get rewarded with a good Evaluation and an early promotion but hey, that's the military for you lol). If it helps to think like that for your new future job then great!

Lastly, digging the Toph profile picture. I'm currently re-watching the series and forgot about all the feels! lol.

Thanks for your post :)  Since most of you here use lbs i thought it was the least i could do! haha I have actually gotten quite used to doing the math when i read pounds so I can compare it to my own weights.

I worked out that if I have about 30% of my diet as protein then I will be hitting above 1g per 1lb of bodyweight as i have read that around as well. I have also heard 1g per lbs of lean body mass but yeah whatever - as long as I am getting plenty!

I have always been quite academic and started by current undergrad degree ontop of full time work because my job wasnt challenging me enough! hopefully my next job is going to keep me busy while I do post-grad qualifications.

I am also just re-watching the series!!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Thanks for your post :)  Since most of you here use lbs i thought it was the least i could do! haha I have actually gotten quite used to doing the math when i read pounds so I can compare it to my own weights.

I worked out that if I have about 30% of my diet as protein then I will be hitting above 1g per 1lb of bodyweight as i have read that around as well. I have also heard 1g per lbs of lean body mass but yeah whatever - as long as I am getting plenty!

I have always been quite academic and started by current undergrad degree ontop of full time work because my job wasnt challenging me enough! hopefully my next job is going to keep me busy while I do post-grad qualifications.

I am also just re-watching the series!!

Haha nice! I'm jealous of all you school-folk a bit, I love to learn just not in that environment. Always been an on-the-job education kinda guy. What're you studying if you don't mind me asking?

Also, woo! Where are you at in the series? I'm about 2/3's of the way through book earth/season two right now. I don't have access to it right now but in about five months when I get home I found there's a Northern Shaolin Kung Fu school (Fire-bending is based off of this martial art) about an hour from where I currently live. Hopefully I can hang with the Rangers for a couple months and then go train with the Monks to learn some "Fire-Bending" haha.

Lvl1 Human Ranger

I'm studying Accounting & Sustainable Business. Will be working in Forensic Solutions at a professional services firm next year :)

Im almost finished the second season (earth!). My computer died a couple of weeks ago though so its been on hold till I get that back up and running again! Wow that sounds really cool - Im sure it would be so interesting and great way to change up training a bit!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Nice! That sounds cool, Forensic Solutions, is that going to be like tracking "white collar" crimes or along those lines since you're studying Accounting & Sustainable Business? (i.e. embezzlement)

Cool haha, and yeah I'm hoping so! I've been really digging the Ranger philosophy of always switching up your training. Who knows, if I can find the schools maybe in a few years I can become the Avatar and learn all the bending styles haha. Though I'd definitely have to learn Toph's form of blind earth-bending and not just the normal stuff. I think hers was based of Southern Praying Mantis style kung fu. Water-bending is based off of Yang-style Tai Chi so that one should be easy to find (I think they offer it at the school where they teach Northern Shaolin actually). Airbending is based on Baguazhang which will probably be another hard school to find in the US alongside earth-bending. 

But now I'm getting ahead of myself haha. Gotta focus on this weeks challenge first, right?

Lvl1 Human Ranger

Yeah fraud, embezzlement, any sort of accounting that relates to law. Will be working alongside business risk services and insolvency so should stay very interesting!

Wow you learn something everyday - I really didnt know any of that!

I have pretty much started this challenge weeks ago unofficially so just have to continue what Im doing and improve my nutrition a bit i think. Supposed to head to the gym tonight but feeling pretty off having had a migraine for most of the day :( oh well - I will go anyway!!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Damn, that sounds cool. I don't know if you've seen the show "White Collar" but it's a pretty good show about a con artist turned FBI fed and he helps solve crimes similar to that(usually stuff like art theft but tomato tomatah). Should be laying around on the internet somewhere if you're interested.

Unfortunately, my nerd half tends to get the better of me when it comes to shows and I have to dissect them to see what makes them work lol, that's why I have all this useless trivia floating around in my noggin.

Me too actually, I joined about half-way through the last challenge and decided to just wait it out for the next one thinking it'd start on the 15th and ended up started then haha. Guess I jumped the gun a little, but oh well. Also, definitely go! Crush it in the gym! I tend to drink and subsequently get hung over a little more than the average bear so I punish myself by working out through my hang over haha. You got this.

Lvl1 Human Ranger

Haha thats the reason that i do my gym sessions during the week - my weekends lately have been spent drinking then recovering and I don't want to go to the gym in that state! Luckily i get off the train on the way home from work every night and the gym is RIGHT THERE staring me in the face. very hard to ignore and is the reason i joined that particular gym in the first place!! no excuses

I have seen a couple of episodes of White Collar - but havent really sat down to watch it in sequence... maybe I should!! Before my current degree i did a year of forensic science at uni (like CSI stuff) was really cool but didnt have much in the way of careers so its kind of funny that this is where i have ended up!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Haha my work schedule is a bit crazy so I just try to get in the gym when I can and drinking in between that so they tend to overlap each other. Having the gym right there is always nice, I'm a huge fan of convenience. I'm doing the TRX Suspension training program at the moment so all I need is a door to do my workouts. Makes it hard to justify not doing the workouts when you don't even have to leave your room. It's almost too convenient sometimes, I've had a couple "Hold my beer" moments in attempting to do some of the exercises while intoxicated that ended pretty hilariously haha.

Yeah, I like it a fair bit. I know the first few seasons are on Netflix if you guys have it over there. I've found all shows seem to be better when watched in sequence, they just flow better when you don't have to wait a week for the next one while they do jumbled re-runs throughout the week lol. Also, nice on the classes! Maybe you should've made your profile pic this:

Detective_Sokka.png

hahaha.

Lvl1 Human Ranger

I usually download all my shows directly and then watch them - which is why the computer dying has put a hold on it all. but having said that I probably don't have much time for watching TV shows at the moment - been crazy busy lately!

Lol almost sounds dangerous!! I dont think i could do any of the stuff I am doing while intoxicated! I did find that when I was doing bodyweight exercises at home that it was just too convenient - to the point I got lazy and didnt do it haha when I go to the gym Im there to work out, and am actually loving it

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

it is and it isn't, but I definitely don't condone or recommend it and I really wouldn't do it with weights haha. Even I don't get the bold when I'm drunk. I totally get the too convenient thing, I have to leave what I call "motto notes" all around my room to get me motivated enough to do it.

Also, that stinks about your computer dying but yeah I pretty much do the same thing. I just find sites online and stream or download them. I can imagine it is what with the commute, work, and gym!

Lvl1 Human Ranger

First off, awesome profile pic.

Second, good goals. Lifting gets exciting really quickly.

Finally, awesome major! I studied accounting here in the US, so here I go off the nerdy nerdy deep end: what accounting standards does Australia use? It's not IFRS, is it?

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk

First off, awesome profile pic.

Second, good goals. Lifting gets exciting really quickly.

Finally, awesome major! I studied accounting here in the US, so here I go off the nerdy nerdy deep end: what accounting standards does Australia use? It's not IFRS, is it?

Yep I'm already pretty excited about lifting. In fact a local strength & conditioning gym (rather than a commercial one) really wants more girls and I will be going in for a training session there soon. Might change gyms (they are giving the hard sell!! haha)- will no doubt get much stronger more quickly and really get myself involved. 

Australia has our own accounting standards but they are based off IFRS

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Here in the US, we're still using GAAP. There's been talk for years about moving to IFRS, but I have a feeling we're sticking to GAAP like we've stuck to the mile, the pound, the foot, the gallon, etc.

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk

Like Max, I found this party late.  But, it sounds like you have the Warrior Spirit inside.  Awesome looking challenge.  Come hang out in the Warrior thread sometime, too!

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines