Ki4wlg visits the Warriors to get pumped up

I was a Ranger last challenge, but due to a potential knee injury my running, biking, sailing, Body Attack, etc. have all been put on hold.  Granted I still do an easy jog to warm up for workouts, but everything else is on hold till I get checked out by a doctor.  The good news on that is that appointment #1 is a week from today on the 31st :)

So for the past month or so I have gone back to upper body strength training, something I have done little of in the past two years.  Forgot how enjoyable it is!  So while my knees are on R&R I'm coming to explore the Warriors Guild.  This exploration is also a result of my rekindled interest in weight work and a newfound desire to learn Olympic lifting (which will be on hold until I get seen by the Doc).

With all that being said....

Main Quest: Lift, Lift, and Get pumped up!

Hans-and-Franz.jpg

Goal #1 - Do a weight based workout 3x a week.

In order to get pumped up, I've gotta do the work, so the plan is to workout 3x a week.  I'm hoping to do some buddy lifting with my Dad or a couple of the cops I work with, but in the end it's all up to me.

Until I get the doctor's okay this will be entirely upper body and abs.  Once I get doctors clearance I plan on adding in very basic Oly lifting.

Goal #2 - Try a 2 new exercises every week.

With me getting back into lifting, and until the knee issue gets figured out, I'm using only my limited weightlifting knowledge-base, so the idea here is to expand it.  If you have a suggestion of a good upper body strength exercise, please comment with your suggestion :)

Goal #3 - Focus on Form 1x a week

With the eventual progress of my strength training to include Oly lifting, I want to nail my form for those down now.  I also need to work on my form for bench pressing.  It's not bad form, I can lift weight (up to 165# as of this morning)  without injuring myself, but I sway a bit fore and aft as well as side to side.  Part of that is a concentration issue, but it also stems from not nailing perfect form I expect.  As I start going into bigger lifting especially with Oly, I'd like to start with the best form instead of having to correct it down the road.  So whether this it a separate light weight workout, or a part of a longer regular workout, I'm going to do form checks 1x a week.  If I can figure out how to take videos with my digital camera I'll definitely post up some videos for critique :)

Life Goal - Schedule out my life, one week at a time.

So as I was browsing through other threads, I came across SwoleTroll's thread and his link to Creating a Weekly Atack Plan, I realized that this would be a good idea for me too.  With my rotating shift work and odd overtime pickup.  I have had a hard time planning out my personal life.  So I'm going to add a calendar to my wall that is a whiteboard 1 week calendar.

Every week on my first day off (will either be a Sunday or a Monday)  I will sit down and make my calendar for the week, to include days I work my FT job, days I work my PT jobs, days I will work out, when I'll do laundry, when I'll clean my room, etc.

The hope here is I can get back into a routine with life, even if work doesn't want me to have one :tongue:

Well, not that I've gotten all that written down, I look forward to this adventure with the Warriors. Who knows, this challenge might make a convert out of me (probably will since I've been ogling at different home gym ideas and already planning mine out for whenever I have my own place to live :) )

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Welcome to the Warriors.  Now I need to go read that planning link.

Thanks!  It's a great link.  If not for ideas at least for motivation for me :)

-KiltedCowboy

K! I DON'T CARE if you're not a ranger I'm following your awesomeness

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

K! I DON'T CARE if you're not a ranger I'm following your awesomeness Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Haha thanks Jenn!  I'll be following your thread as soon as I get around to exploring the other guilds.  Havne't had the chance to yet :)

-KiltedCowboy

Oh and as with previous challenges, I have created my 6WC Accountability Sheet

The thing I realized about this one that will make it a little interesting is in the Life Goal.  I've added a line there so you can see my general schedule (D = 6am to 6pm shift; E = 6pm - 6am shift).  I've darkened up the color on the days which will be my planning days.  Since I'm out of town this weekend and the challenge doesn't technically start till Monday, Monday will be my first planning day even though I am working.

Speaking of work, I'd better get ready to go!

-KiltedCowboy

Ohey. I'm totally in.

When I play Captain Upper Body, I like lots of presses and rows. Bench press, incline bench press, dumbbell bench press, standing overhead press, military press, seated overhead press, dumbbell overhead press, pendlay rows, kroc rows, all of the rows....etcetcetc.

There is no signature here.

I read through Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (link to Amazon) last challenge and even if you are not following his beginner's routine, there are many pages going over proper form for each of the big lifts.  Strongly recommended just for that.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Ohey. I'm totally in.

When I play Captain Upper Body, I like lots of presses and rows. Bench press, incline bench press, dumbbell bench press, standing overhead press, military press, seated overhead press, dumbbell overhead press, pendlay rows, kroc rows, all of the rows....etcetcetc.

Sweet, this definitely gives me someplace to start.  Btw, I had a great mental image of a superhero doing a superhero pose with an announcer voice saying "Caaaaptaaaaain UpperBody!"  (Yes somewhat along the lines of Captain Caveman)

I read through Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (link to Amazon) last challenge and even if you are not following his beginner's routine, there are many pages going over proper form for each of the big lifts.  Strongly recommended just for that.

I'll have to give it a look!  Form advice will be excellent :)

-KiltedCowboy

Starting Strength is a great resource for beginners. I know your knee is on hiatus, but hopefully it's alright and we can get you squatting. In the mean time, you could do some proper form Romanian Dead Lifts to work out your posterior chain without loading up the knee much.

Max the jacked powerlifter squatz virgin York barbells. (Please ignore this last part, it has to do with my current challenge.)

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Starting Strength is a great resource for beginners. I know your knee is on hiatus, but hopefully it's alright and we can get you squatting. In the mean time, you could do some proper form Romanian Dead Lifts to work out your posterior chain without loading up the knee much. Max the jacked powerlifter squatz virgin York barbells. (Please ignore this last part, it has to do with my current challenge.)

Thanks for the info!  (See below post regarding knee, with good news!)  Oh and in this thread nothing gets ignored, so squatz away with dem virgin bells! :P

37046.jpg

If that's not what you think when someone says Captain Upper Body, you're doing it wrong.

Rob_... this dude needs better friends... the kind who won't let him skip leg day :P

I don't know what's going on, but I am reading. :D

Yay Koo!  Glad to have you along for the ride!

-KiltedCowboy

It's time for a Midweek Report!  This one has all kinds of awesomeness in it so stick around! (TL;DR version at the bottom for those who have lots of threads to read)

Okay so quick recap of my goal progress so far: 6WC Tracking Sheet

Monday I managed to schedule out my week on my awesome new one week calendar whiteboard.  The schedule has been altered since then but hey that's what happens with schedules.  I also managed to work a 12hr shift and get in a workout on my lunch break!  Got some awesome news today but that'll get revealed below :) (Can't give away all the goodness at the beginning of a post now can I?)

Tuesday was no progress, pretty blah day with a nearly 12hr training session for work.

Wednesday (Today), I got up early, went and beasted out a short workout at the gym where I fit in two new exercises, some standing OHP and standing OHP behind the neck.  Focused on the form for this by using just a 45# bar after a few practice rounds with a wooden pole.  Thankfully my gym has mirrors all around so I could keep a good look on my form.  I feel like I'm arching my back a bit but with concentration I am managing to keep that under control.  Also took some time to focus on my benchpress form in wide grip and close grip positions before rocking out a few sets with weight.  Really tried to focus on keeping my back from arching so much with the weight and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it!

Okay, so now time for the news of awesome proportions.

Monday I got a call and was informed that a company I applied to back in the spring wanted to interview me for a lab tech position!  I've been waiting a good while for this pone call and had been getting pretty down about it the past few weeks, but knowing that God has the best in store for me I tried to be patient and not grumble too much.  So My interview is tomorrow at 11am.  Meeting with the HR manager, the Senior Process Engineer, a regular Process Engineer and possibly the Product Development Chemist.  Excited and nervous about it!

And today, I went to see a doctor about my knee pain.  This doc "is a board certified orthopedic surgeon with subspecialty expertise in sports medicine and human performance" who has been practicing since 1985.  Both my parent go to him and say good things.  So we took x-rays of both knees and did an ultrasound on my left knee (which has the most problems).

The diagnosis was a good one.  I don't have any mechanical issues, nor do I have any water in the joints.  My patellar tendon (lower) is on the borderline of the max end thickness you want to see, but as the doc said I've got powerhouse legs and that's not really a concern.  Found out my left leg is 7mm longer than my right apparently.  I also have an deeper-than-the-norm patellar groove, but that's not an issue either.

What I'm dealing with here is overtraining of certain muscle groups (quads in particular).  I need to work on my "eccentric" development (developing strength as a muscle lengthens as opposed to when it contracts) and flexibility of my hamstrings and other leg important features.

So with a couple of physical therapy sessions to show me what to be doing, the Doc says the rest of my therapy can be accomplished in the weight room.

He also gave me caution about doing any major lifting where my upper legs break the parallel.  But since I'm not too concerned about entering any oly competitions, I just want to do them for dun, that works for me!

All in all it's been a good week/challenge so far and the week ain't over!

TL;DR Version:  Challenge is going great.  Job interview tomorrow - w00t!.  Doc says my knee pain should go away with some PT/training room therapy and my pain is caused by overtraining my quads.

-KiltedCowboy

yay job interview!!!!! 

I know you will convince them that they can't live without you!

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Okay so update time!

As for the challenge goals, I did a short workout at the weight room at work.  Now that I'm really doing more in the realm of weights I'm getting pretty disconcerted with the "weight room" and the lack of equipment.  But I make it work out anyway because I'm a nerd and determined to get fitter.  Some stubborn-ness may be involved as well....

I added some incline bench press to my routine last night, felt good, but took some getting used to since I haven't done them in a while.

As for the job interview, it went pretty well!  Ok so it went really well :D  I got offered the position of Lab Technician II as opposed to Lab Technician I which I applied for!

As a result, come early September I'll be moving to the upstate of SC.  May knock me outta the challenge for a bit unless I can find a decent gym up there.  It's kinda funny but I'm looking for a gym and where it is may determine more or less where I decide to live :P

Working for the weekend, but now that I've got a future job to look forwards to I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! (And no it's not an oncoming train :P )

-KiltedCowboy

where in SC are you moving?

Spoiler

I'm in Charleston, SC now, moving to the upstate (think the corner where SC, NC, TN, and GA all meet up kinda).

-KiltedCowboy

Okay so I'll throw in a little update here.

Been doing good with my workouts.  I'm adding more new exercises every workout it seems :) Did some seated OHP and military OHPs on Monday.  I added bench press on a decline (head lower than feet) Wednesday and took tome to focus on that form.  I was surprised as to how easy it was for me to bench a pair of 45# plates.  A lot easier than when I do a standard BP.

Also I went to PT on Tuesday.  Pretty much got my ass whipped with some big realizations of how little hammy strength I have.  I can do a seated leg press of 500# yet to do a 4" heel tap squat I can't do 30 seconds worth without cringing in pain of the under developed muscles.  So the PT guy gave me an exercise rep to do 3x a week.  I'm going to try and do it on my off days from the gym so that I'll be working out a total of 6x a week with one day of complete rest.

Well that's all the update there is for now, I gotta go get on a tractor and mow a field in a little while.  Everyone have a great day!

-KiltedCowboy

Okay so I'll throw in a little update here.

Been doing good with my workouts.  I'm adding more new exercises every workout it seems :) Did some seated OHP and military OHPs on Monday.  I added bench press on a decline (head lower than feet) Wednesday and took tome to focus on that form.  I was surprised as to how easy it was for me to bench a pair of 45# plates.  A lot easier than when I do a standard BP.

Also I went to PT on Tuesday.  Pretty much got my ass whipped with some big realizations of how little hammy strength I have.  I can do a seated leg press of 500# yet to do a 4" heel tap squat I can't do 30 seconds worth without cringing in pain of the under developed muscles.  So the PT guy gave me an exercise rep to do 3x a week.  I'm going to try and do it on my off days from the gym so that I'll be working out a total of 6x a week with one day of complete rest.

Well that's all the update there is for now, I gotta go get on a tractor and mow a field in a little while.  Everyone have a great day!

Decline has a larger involvement from the pectorals than a flat bench does, plus a bit of a shorter range of motion. A lot of people pick decline over flat because of this.

How's your experimenting been going? Anything you've tried you outright don't like? Things you finish and are like MOAR!! ?

There is no signature here.

Decline has a larger involvement from the pectorals than a flat bench does, plus a bit of a shorter range of motion. A lot of people pick decline over flat because of this.

How's your experimenting been going? Anything you've tried you outright don't like? Things you finish and are like MOAR!! ?

The experimenting has been going pretty well, I'm starting to like the squats (even if I hate having to sit on dem squat muscles a couple days later at work...), ans the OHP.  It's taking some tweaking to get hand position right on the OHP so that I don't get searing pain in my shoulders, but I think the pain is from lack of use and general weakness.  So we'll fight the good fight and keep building moar muscle!

To be honest the thing that I've started doing that I really want MOAR of is when my dad joins me after his running to do a little basic lifting.  I've  been coaching him some, and he seems to enjoy it.  Hopefully we'll be able to continue this on my visits back to town after I move next month :)

-KiltedCowboy

Alright, time for a little update!

So I've been doing my PT workouts and they seem to be working.  I'm already noticing that I can go for longer on the 4" heel squats without the pain of unworked muscles starting up.  Also the other exercises are definitely getting easier.

As for my goals, I'm gonna have to crank out workouts back to back tomorrow and Sunday to meet my 3x a week goal.  I was out of town Wed and Thurs this week house hunting near where my new job will be.  Found a cute little 100yr old house that is going to be perfect I think :)  Not sure I'll be able to afford a gym membership, but we'll see.

Tuesday, instead of doing my usual workout I did the cross training class that the city offers and puts on in the truck bay.  Little did I know that SURPRISE!  It was gonna be LEG DAY like a BAWS.  We did lots of squats, weighted wide stance squats, lunges, side to side squats on a Bosu ball, as well as a bunch of pushups.  Follow that up with sitting in a chair at work for 8+ hours and then travelling for two days... Yeah, even today on Friday I'm still really sore :\

But the weighted wide stance squats were kinda cool.  Combined a squat with a single dumbbell push press.  so I got a decent upper body workout as well.

That's all for now!

-KiltedCowboy

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines