Hey girl, let's streamline the strength. Ems 4.0.

Ems

tumblr_mpu1cxCl8C1s4jjqyo1_1280.jpg

How's that for motivation?  :playful:  But I see your one week, and I raise you...six.

MAIN QUEST: DROP FAT*. KEEP MUSCLE.

*OBVIOUSLY NOT ALL OF IT, SINCE SOME IS REQUIRED TO, YOU KNOW, STAY ALIVE :)

Hey NF peeps! Ems Challenge Number 4 is here! The new rule changes came at the perfect time for me, as I was feeling a little burnt out and disillusioned by the end of my last challenge. I tried to do too many things at once during a very hectic work schedule, resulting in a lot of things done fairly badly. Well, no more! This challenge is going to be very focused on one goal - reduce body fat percentage. Thanks to almost a lifetime of ballet (incredible bodyweight workout if there ever was one!), contemporary dance and more recently weight training (including the TRX - amazing bit of equipment!) I have a good amount of solid, sexy, strong muscle going on, which I LOVE. The guns and the quads are particularly pleasing (never thought I'd type that about myself!)

Anyway, as good as all that is, there is still too much fat covering said muscles. Yes, it's true, not as much as before as I'm down from 32% in January 2013 to 29.7 now. However, there is still more to go. I'd like to get to 20% and see how my performance levels are affected. I'm not willing to sacrifice shaving a few seconds more off my rowing times in order to get into the teens, but we'll see how it goes. Counting eggs and chickens and all that... :)

THAT'S THE WHAT, HERE'S THE HOW:

#1. Hey girl, track the intake for two weeks.

Recently I had a chat with my personal trainer, and he asked me what I wanted out of the next stage of my training. The physical side has been going  very well, I'm absolutely loving it, but what I feel needs attention, and what I feel ready to commit to, is my diet. Up until this point it has been ok, the first stage over my last two challenges was cutting out the junk food (crisps, ice cream, biscuits, chocolate, cake, takeaways, sweets, alcohol - all the obvious stuff). I feel like I've got this sorted now, so it's time for phase 2. Following this chat, my PT said he would create a meal plan for me, inspired by Paleo (he knows what it is - yey! It sounds weird, but I still find it surprising when non NF peeps know about it, like it's a big secret, which of course it isn't!). What I need to do first though as per his instructions, is log all my food, drink, approx. times, sleep and physical activity levels and intensity for two weeks so he can see where I'm at now. As I type this I am currently at the end of the third day. So far so good. I am fairly used to logging foods, having done it for my Battle Log, but the drinks and times are new to me.

#2. Hey girl, follow the PT food plan. Please.

This will obviously be a little way in the future, after the two week tracking and however long it takes to put the plan together. After that, it is a simple step: follow the plan.

95bb71f9b3e23ba3fe6f0d75d90ba95e.jpg

Whatever you say Ryan. I would like to point out, just to spare any confusion, that Ryan Gosling isn't my PT. Sadly. I just find him rather motivational. If you've made it this far down my thread, you may have noticed  a bit of a theme...

EDIT: Just got my plan (14.08.13), so will now add in grades. 26 days of the challenge remain, so I'm going to do it by days where I followed the plan (and I mean followed strictly ALL DAY, no excuses or substitutions):

A - 26-21 days followed, B- 20-15 days followed, C - 15-10 days followed, F - 10 or fewer.

It may seem harsh, but I have no excuse for not following the plan, it is perfectly manageable, some things on it I do already anyway.

#3 Hey girl. Let's stay physical.

I have a very physical job, which is brilliant for helping to keep me in shape, and I also attend classes for my own development, as well as my PT and solo gym sessions. Classes have now finished for the summer, and I am soon to go on my month long annual break. This is great timing as it means I have more time to train, more time to take care of myself, but it does also mean that I'll have to be a little more self-motivated, as I won't have as much exercise built into my days. This means, a minimum of three gym sessions per week (a combination of solo and PT). This challenge will also overlap the first couple sessions of my Learn to Row course (YYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSS!) so that will be something else to get my body moving.

A - 3 sessions per week, B - 2, C - 1, F - 0.

Ok folks, I'm not going to go down the side or life quests for this one, going to learn from last time and keep it real simple.

MOTIVATION*

*(NO, IT'S NOT RYAN. WELL MAYBE A LITTLE BIT).

My motivation is simple - I want this now. It sounds crazy, but I can remember when part of me really didn't want to lose weight. Not because I didn't want to do what was necessary, although that was a part, but because I was scared what would happen if I did. I wouldn't be the same person. My body wouldn't look the same. What if I became skinny, and I still had problems? What then? If losing weight didn't solve everything else that was wrong, what would I do? I can't believe it now, but I was genuinely scared of the outcome.

That was the old Emily.

Now I'm just excited to see how far I can go. I love the way my body looks now, but more than that I love what it can do! It can:

Do the splits, deadlift 61kg, row 2k in 8:13, hold a plank for over 2 minutes, do a pirouette, get to over 200 RPM on the spin bike, touch my head to my knees with straight legs, do a backward roll, do a forward roll, as well as a cartwheel, row 100m in 18.8 seconds, get its foot behind my head, do a double pirouette as well as a million other things. And there's no limit to this list! It is time for me to level up.

Now I've shrugged off the fear, I'm ready.       28926377.jpg          I will Ryan. I promise. 

Ok folks, that's all for now. I will update tomorrow with score measurements and attribute points, but its really late now here and I need to go to bed. :)

Peace out fit sexy nerds!

Ems

• Like 1

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

win win win win winning win!!  Loving it and i can't wait to see what you do here!!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

MOTIVATION*

*(NO, IT'S NOT RYAN. WELL MAYBE A LITTLE BIT).

My motivation is simple - I want this now. It sounds crazy, but I can remember when part of me really didn't want to lose weight. Not because I didn't want to do what was necessary, although that was a part, but because I was scared what would happen if I did. I wouldn't be the same person. My body wouldn't look the same. What if I became skinny, and I still had problems? What then? If losing weight didn't solve everything else that was wrong, what would I do? I can't believe it now, but I was genuinely scared of the outcome.

That was the old Emily.

Now I'm just excited to see how far I can go. I love the way my body looks now, but more than that I love what it can do! It can:

Do the splits, deadlift 61kg, row 2k in 8:13, hold a plank for over 2 minutes, do a pirouette, get to over 200 RPM on the spin bike, touch my head to my knees with straight legs, do a backward roll, do a forward roll, as well as a cartwheel, row 100m in 18.8 seconds, get its foot behind my head, do a double pirouette as well as a million other things. And there's no limit to this list! It is time for me to level up.

Now I've shrugged off the fear, I'm ready.      

So much win in this statement alone that I want to punch my way through a brick wall!!!!  I look forward to following your progress.

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Subbed for awesomeness!

Fear of success is a huge problem for a lot of people. Glad to see you're breaking through that!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Thanks JD! It took me a while to figure out that that's what it was, but now I've exposed it I feel I can smash it!

Level 11 Human Ranger

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

This is completely outstanding.

:)

Best of luck!  You got this!!!

Thank you Knightwatch! I have a really good feeling about this challenge :)

Good luck! Subbing :)

Thanks T! Likewise :)

Hahaha. Love it!

Got to have a bit of humour to spur us along, we can't do a theme-less challenge anymore buddy!

I wanna follow your thread to sponge the Gosling inspiration, is that okay? :)

But seriously, great theme and I love the goals. Best of luck!

Of course my dear, he is of course put on the earth to serve us all in whatever capacity we need :). It's called the Gosling Effect, and its sweeping the nation! Thanks, good luck to you too!

win win win win winning win!!  Loving it and i can't wait to see what you do here!!

Whoohooo! Yes AB, we are going to smash this challenge! Literally in your case...:)

I love your Ryan theme! I always found those pictures so motivating :D Best of luck!!

Thank you! Me too, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier! Good luck to you!

Level 11 Human Ranger

So much win in this statement alone that I want to punch my way through a brick wall!!!!  I look forward to following your progress.

YES MITCH! Thank you, it took me a while to figure out what it was, but now I've identified it, I can overcome it. Let's punch through that wall, and all the ones that come afterwards! FOR THE REBELLION!

Level 11 Human Ranger

I had an absolute beaut of a day today my lovely NF peeps. I went sailing for the first time! One of the ladies who comes to my Zumba classes has a couple of boats, and so she and her son took me out today and it was brilliant! While we were there we met one of their friends who is an instructor and offered to take me out on his boat show me the ropes (haha). I'm so excited, loving trying out these new things. And I did it all in a pair of shorts a size smaller than they would have been six months ago. That is a good day.

Level 11 Human Ranger

This is fantastic. 

Did you realize that some other NFers started a Hey Girl, Workout tumblr ?

This thread has all the marking for giggles and greatness.

Thanks BigM :). No way, that tumblr is my favourite one! I had no idea NF peeps were behind it. Should have known, the awesomeness gives it away!

Very good to see you identifying your fears and taking them on and very brave of you to put it out there, huge step Ems :positive: . I like your goals and I have a good feeling about this challenge, subbing ;)

Thanks Doms, so much easier to fight your demons when you finally understand what you're dealing with. The environment here at NF is so supportive and open, I feel I can really be myself. It's a good feeling. I do too. Good things are coming :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

This is fantastic. 

Did you realize that some other NFers started a Hey Girl, Workout tumblr ?

This thread has all the marking for giggles and greatness.

Exactly why I came here :) 

We need to get to updating, fo sho. 

And, naturally, I'll be following any thread with a Hey Girl Meme... I mean.. come on!  How Goslome* is that?!

Goslome: (adjective) that which is Gosling level awesome; a contraction- Gosling+ Awesome. (thank Mama T for this bit o' glory but excuse my poor definition writing skills)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Your Motivation is amazing.  I had a smilar revelation once when a friend said: "You're a Libra with Virgo rising, I can't understand why you are such a slob."  Instead of saying because astrology is crap, I said, "Because if I clean up the outside, I'll have to start work on the inside and that scares me."  Whoa!  I had no idea what I was saying or why, but it was/is truth.

So, congratulations on not only seeing your truth, but doing something about it! 

Keep us updated.  And pictures of Ryan Gosling can only help.  Lars and the Real Girl, anyone?

- Scott

49 is the new 53

Fourth Level Half-Elf Ranger

STR [6.5] DEX [6] STA [17] CON [5] WIS [3]  CHA [5]

Current Challenge

My Third Challenge  > My Second Challenge > My First Challenge

"Don't ever tell me there's no way."  Agent Phil Coulson

Here's something completely random. I played American football with a GIRL who looks just like Ryan Gosling except for the facial hair. She looks eerily like him. 

That is random! Well RG is so beautiful I guess any likeness is good, even for a girl! Good to know she doesn't have the facial hair though :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

Exactly why I came here :)

We need to get to updating, fo sho. 

And, naturally, I'll be following any thread with a Hey Girl Meme... I mean.. come on!  How Goslome* is that?!

Goslome: (adjective) that which is Gosling level awesome; a contraction- Gosling+ Awesome. (thank Mama T for this bit o' glory but excuse my poor definition writing skills)

Hey Laura! Oh please do, I love your tumblr - having you post on my thread is like an autograph from a celebrity  - totes goslome :welcoming:

Level 11 Human Ranger

Your Motivation is amazing.  I had a smilar revelation once when a friend said: "You're a Libra with Virgo rising, I can't understand why you are such a slob."  Instead of saying because astrology is crap, I said, "Because if I clean up the outside, I'll have to start work on the inside and that scares me."  Whoa!  I had no idea what I was saying or why, but it was/is truth.

So, congratulations on not only seeing your truth, but doing something about it! 

Keep us updated.  And pictures of Ryan Gosling can only help.  Lars and the Real Girl, anyone?

- Scott

Thank you 5C0T. It was the same for me - I was typing up my new challenge thread and it just came out. I read it back and thought - yep, that's the truth! Ooh I haven't seen Lars, have to see if I can find it - maybe buy as a challenge reward. I will do, and likewise please :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

Oh my gosh I love this! You're goals are a lot like mine!

Three cheers for decreasing your BF% and increased performance!

Thanks! Whoohoo! There seem to be a lot of bodyfat focused challenges this time, I might make a support group for us all to hang out and share tips :) I've checked out your challenge too - good luck!

Level 11 Human Ranger

Hi Ems!

Spotted in another thread you're a fellow Brit!  So wanted to say, Hai! :)

Your bodyweight workouts sound pretty damn fine to me.

And being able to do forward/backward rolls + cartwheels would be a whole bucket of awesome.  As it were :)

Good luck for your challenge!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines