• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I like your goals a lot (and just your thread in general).  :)  What are you using to blend up your breakfast smoothie?  I'm thinking smoothies would help me get more veggies in, but my blender is not great.  It was okay until I tried to make my own Larabars with the food processor portion last year, and it kinda ruined it. 

I've been dealing with pain and discomfort for awhile, and really think food will be the key to fixing it.  I'm reading It Starts With Food for this challenge.  I've been meaning to read it anyway, so this will give me a good push.

I like your goals a lot (and just your thread in general).  :)  What are you using to blend up your breakfast smoothie?  I'm thinking smoothies would help me get more veggies in, but my blender is not great.  It was okay until I tried to make my own Larabars with the food processor portion last year, and it kinda ruined it. 

I've been dealing with pain and discomfort for awhile, and really think food will be the key to fixing it.  I'm reading It Starts With Food for this challenge.  I've been meaning to read it anyway, so this will give me a good push.

I bought a Nutribullet.  It is AMAZING.  It comes with two attachments and extra smaller cups, which work great for dairy smoothies for my kids, and also for grinding up stuff like nuts, or the onion/garlic/ginger spice smash I use in many of my recipes.  They're are $99 at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I didn't happen to have one at the time, but they are always sending me 20% off coupons in the mail.

I ordered a rechargeable ecigarette today with ramped down nicotine cartridges. Paid extra for FedEx express. Did NOT buy a carton today. Gearing up.

Great goals!  My weight loss journey started with quitting smoking too and I've managed to lose and keep off 36 lbs for 5 years.  It will be hard but trust me its worth it.  Keep us posted!

And so the dragon egg hatched, fifteen years ago. As it grew, it frolicked and rambled and once in a while caused some minor annoyances to wideeyed as she wandered too close to its home. When the dragon reached maturity, it received its name, which was Fog. Fog had only ever encountered one human, and with his race's instinctive fear and hatred uttered his challenge: "TO THE PAIN."

For a year, wideeyed cowered in confusion, and fear, and always, always, pain. One day, she thought about the strong person she had once been. She decided to seek help from the local group of wizards. They taught her what she needed to do to send Fog back to his lair and put him to sleep.

My quest: to manage my fibromyalgia/neurological problems with the medicine of healthy food and physical activity.

To achieve this I will:
1. Complete one set of beginner's body weight work out three times per week with the goal of being able to do unassisted squats and lunges with proper form at the end of the challenge.

2. Make sure to hit my net calorie minimum of 1200 calories a day, working my way up to 1500 at the end of the challenge.

3. Stay off of the scale from pre challenge measurements until end of challenge measurements.

Of equal importance to my main quest is my life goal:

I will completely transition to an electronic cigarette and wean down to zero nicotine by the end of the challenge. For this challenge, inhaling steam will remain acceptable.

My motivation: My own children, because they deserve a mother who is fully present and able to participate in their lives fully, and who will be around for a long time.

Oy. Now I am thinking overall calorie minimum. Today, for example, I did a killer walk. Burned 505 calories according to Map My Walk. If I use net, that would mean that I would need to eat 2,000 calories today to net 1500. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.

Do not fall into the trap I set for myself!!! I think that trying for just getting the food up is a great start, and to not worry so much about net at this point.

I always hated the fragrance Obsession ;)

It can be confusing working out if/how much to increase calories to compensate for activity. I will eat back some activity calories, but not them all, and then when that activity becomes part of you normal life then you don't need to consider it that much. Having said that it would be great if you could really listen to your body about its need for extra energy, but then we wouldn't be needing to worry about calories!

Good luck!!

I really love your resolve to stay off the scale! I think that's something I might need to help me. Props for quiting smoking! I know that quitting is definitely not easy, but I believe you have the power to stop for good. Also, I think you have the most wonderful motivation since the changes you're making are not just for you but for your entire family who I bet are so supportive and so excited to watch you as you begin your journey to a healthier lifestyle.

Much love and support!

It can be confusing working out if/how much to increase calories to compensate for activity. I will eat back some activity calories, but not them all, and then when that activity becomes part of you normal life then you don't need to consider it that much. Having said that it would be great if you could really listen to your body about its need for extra energy, but then we wouldn't be needing to worry about calories!

My ultimate goal is to just eat Paleo and not worry about the whole calorie thing. 48 years of consistent overrating interspersed with extreme dieting have left me with no real sense for what my body needs at any given moment. Because I obsess about weightless, I tend to err on the side of NOT eating when I am trying to lose weight. This go around, I keep reminding myself that the weight loss is a secondary goal. Feeling better comes first.

When I have practiced eating ENOUGH of the healthy stuff, I think I can then start working on letting my body start talking to me again, if that makes sense. I think you are right though. Think I am going to ignore net and focus on hitting the 1500 or a little over.

Keep it up Wideeyed.  You are doing great.

Like the pic you posted of your fam on your initial thread....

My motivation and my IRL personal support team.  Had to see hubby and the boys trying to help me figure out what a proper squat form should be.  I really need to video some of this stuff.

I've given myself the rule of only weighing once a week, at least for this first challenge. I thought about waiting for the end of the challenge. But since I'm just starting out, I want to see how I'm going so that I can tweak my diet if I'm not losing or if I consistently lose too much. I know I should have significant weight loss to begin with, but I want to make sure I keep losing, but at a healthy rate. But my measurements will wait until the end of the challenge.

From a fellow e-cig user, as of this challenge, I wish you luck. I won't be going as far as you with the nicotine this time. Just making sure I stick to it. I'm thinking I'll step down once each challenge.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make in the coming weeks.

Awesome goals. And thanks very much for your post to my thread, great to hear that you are twenty years in!

Measurements today

207.4  42% body fat according to the scale (buhbye scale, I will miss you for six weeks)

Bust 43"

Waist 38"

Hips 47"

Thigh 26.5"

Upper arm 15"

Also, I smoked my last real cigarette this morning.  It's electronic all the way from here on out. 

Pics will be posted later.  The husband left early for work, and I refuse to scar my 12 year old for life by asking him to take pictures of Mom in her underwear.

Have a fabulous week.

Well, the stake is in the ground as they say.  Great to hear about the last cigarette - that in it self is a massive step.  

Good luck with this week!

Good luck with your goals! I'm +1 on the yoga, I'm starting it soon enough myself and have seen it do wonders for people. And well done on having your last cigarette, my parents are trying to quitting at the moment so I know it's really tough.

Go you! Last cigarette is awesome. I know I'm really hurting with the e-cig I have. I don't like this brand too much. I've had other brands before that made it so I didn't even miss cigarettes. But this one is lame. Let us know how you managed your first day.

The promised pictures, if I can figure out how to do this:

med_gallery_18948_484_213221.jpg

med_gallery_18948_484_49059.jpg

med_gallery_18948_484_1516242.jpg

Believe it or not, aside from wanting to cry because the coffee maker broke, and the e-cigarette was NOT cutting it this am, these pictures made me HAPPY.  If you look in my album, you will see the first pics that were taken three weeks ago.  Though the scale says nothing much is going on, the pics say something very different. 

Yesterday went well. 

Also, I smoked my last real cigarette this morning.  It's electronic all the way from here on out. 

this makes me very excited for you! yea to giving up cigs! (they're eviiiiiiiiiiiiiil)