Hello again nerds, Shukar here. Quick introduction for those of you who may be new around here. I'm a runner who used to be a big fat guy, and now is just a slightly overweight tall guy. I hit my heaviest in college and decided that I was done with being fat and not doing anything about it and started running. I've done a lot of things for my health and fitness journey since then but running has been the constant refrain in my efforts. I do a number of other things mainly to improve my running but also because I just want to be the most awesome I can be. 

My Mission is to finish my upcoming races and be a better healthier me for having done so. The whole package of how I aim to accomplish that can be broken down into a few parts.

• Running: I've got a training plan that I put together to get me to and through this race and I'm most of the way through it already, just have to keep up with it and everything should go awesome. Since I'm already signed up for a couple more races after this one I'll also be putting the finishing touches on the training plan for my next races as well.

• Energy: Running takes a lot of things and energy is one of them. For me that mostly means food and sleep. Last challenge I upped my average daily sleep from 6h to 7h and that was a good change, will more be better or have I found the sweet spot already? I'm gonna try and find out by having at least 1 week with averages at 7h30 and hopefully 8h (that one is gonna be the trickier one) and see if I feel better those weeks. Food is a little more complicated but I know from experience that cutting out gluten will give me a lot of bang for my buck in terms of my overall health and especially keeping down GI issues during my runs, so I'm shooting for trying to keep as many of my meals gluten free as possible (start with 50% and work up), and the 3 days leading up to my race weekend 100% gluten free.

• Power: Power can mean many things, but here it means Strength. Strength is going to take 2 approaches this challenge. First a streak. For the last few challenges I've been doing some streaking with my resistance training and found that it's good for keeping me on track with things, but that I was just adding too many things and not putting enough focus on any of them. I'm correcting that by making my streak 4 things that I'll do every day; Pistol work, Pushup work, Handstand work, and Pullup work. I say "work" because none of them is really a completed movement with good form at this stage, but I'm learning to be better at all of them and that's the point. The other part of my power play is kettle bells. Twice a week I'm going to do 5 minutes of Turkish Get-Ups, and 5-10 minutes (starting lower and working higher of the course of the challenge) KB Swings; once a week I'm going to do some lunges, squats, and single leg deadlifts using the bell. The goal of both sides of my strength work is that by making myself stronger I will become a faster, less injury prone runner, and burn off some extra fat in the process when combined with some work on my diet. I'm not looking to get huge, and I probably couldn't if I tried while being a runner, I'm just looking to lean out a little and become a better version of me.

Level Up Quest:

I've spent a lot of time plotting and planning for various projects over the years to try and have fun adventures. This time it's time to settle down and make some happen. This may take the form of a few life enhancements over the course of the challenge, but it's going to start with me completing the costume I'm hoping to wear for the race, and helping the wife finish hers.  It's honestly not that difficult, I just could use the push to make sure I actually do it instead of just letting time get away from me again.

So there's my goals for the challenge, now to go out and complete them. I'm going to try and get some starting photos and measurements into place before the end of the first week, but we shall see how that goes.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Day -4, Wednesday.

No breakfast today. Lunch was a chicken salad, some chicken nuggets, and some soft serve. Dinner was chicken wrapped in bacon and stuffed with some cheese, roast brussels with bacon, and some corn tortilla chips with salsa. I also had a chocolate raspberry shake.

Podcasts today included Framerate, Paleo Solution, and Savage Lovecast. Todays lesson was that I dislike dealing with hospital equipment, just doesn't seem to work properly.

Workouts today included 5 miles of walking, The Streak (pistols, pushups, handstands, and pull-ups), and the Misc day of my KB work (weighted pistols, lunges, and single leg deadlifts). In the case of everything except the pushups, lunges, and deadlifts these are not completed movements, these are things I'm striving toward; and already since I started doing them a week and a half ago I've noticed improvement. Just got to keep that coming. 

Got 7h30 of sleep last night. That's a good start on my plans for the challenge, though later in the day I actually felt more tired today than I have some days recently, but that may be related to activity selection as much as to sleep. Have to see how the patterns go. Also got the wife to start up Season 5 of new Who with me, Geronimo!

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Guten Morgen, Shushu!  Your dinner sounds super tasty.  

When I met you and your awesome wifey a year ago, I never thought I'd be returning to NF as a Scout.   ....But here I am!  Glad to have you as one of my fearless leaders!  

There will be pics of the costume, right? :D

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

Yay! I'm excited to see what your costume is and how it all looks!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Yes there will be pics from the race, and assuming I succeed in the costume goal that will include pictures of the costume. The race I'm making it for is an Alice in Wonderland themed 10k so the current plan is that the wife is going to dress up as Alice and I'm going to go as the White Rabbit; but because that seemed a little predictable we're planning to do the ones from the Mad Tea Party at California Adventure, so I get to be the DJ. The costume should be pretty straight forward in all honesty, the ears are gonna be the tricky part.

@klay, glad to see you back, and the Scouts welcome you. :)

@Earl, you're on the forums? Is it the end of days?

@Shortstuff, it may not be as awesome as your con costumes but darnit it'll be cool, and unlike your costume it'll be in my size. ;)

@bg, phoenix, hammi; there will be picture probably from race day and from the training run I hope to do in all or most of the costume.

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Day -3, Thursday.

No breakfast. Lunch was a huge salad, some ham and cheese soup (I added bacon), and some garlic bread. Dinner was chicken parmesan (without breading, so basically chicken with cheese on top. Also had some berry cheesecake.

Podcasts today were Sex Nerd Sandra, and Security Now. Todays lesson was that sometimes people who should know the answer to the question will tell you random things because they just don't remember what they are supposed to; also that some things just never change.

Workouts today included 1.7 miles of running, 4.2 miles of walking, and the Streak. 

Got 7h sleep last night. Watched some more Doctor Who, good to be back on that, did a little cleaning up around the apartment, planned some things for the weekend. Good day.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

@shorty and canoe, Thanks, I'm pretty excited to actually get it done. I've got a good idea in mind for how I'm gonna do this one, but that EL wire may come in pretty handy for the next one I've got floating around in my brain :)

@Catspaw, glad to see your teeth bared around here again.

Day -2, Friday.

No breakfast. Lunch was pizza and a couple cookies. Dinner was chicken nuggets and some popcorn.

No podcasts, just music today. Todays lesson was that sometimes the thing works perfectly, and other times it doesn't.

Workouts today included 6.5 miles of walking, and the Streak.

Got 7h sleep last night. Had to work a bit later than normal so afterwards I caught a movie with the wife, RIPD. Wasn't bad, though I might have felt bad had I payed full price for it. Still great to have a night out though.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Podcasts today were Sex Nerd Sandra, and Security Now. Todays lesson was that sometimes people who should know the answer to the question will tell you random things because they just don't remember what they are supposed to; also that some things just never change.

Funny! Do you ever listen to This American Life? There was recently a hilarious story about "bullshitting," and specifically non-scientists talking to each other about science and studies, essentially making things up. Now I think about it every time I hear science talk among my friends...

I love your food lists. I read about your chocolate raspberry shake a few days ago, and couldn't get it out of my head! I made a paleo version yesterday. It was very satisfying

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

*joins mob of people demanding costume shots*

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

@Primeval, I've heard that one mentioned a few times but have yet to listen to TAL, I will make a point to look into it. My shake was definitely not paleo, though it could have been worse. no food coloring of HFCS at least, real berries, but hershey chocolate syrup. Still tasty though.

@18ck, Sounds like the mob has spoken. Does this mean we are getting a monorail? (It's a Simpsons joke, it's funny I promise!)

Day -1, Saturday.

No breakfast. Lunch was some fried clams, shrimp, haddock, and sweet potato fries, some mushrooms and zuchinni spears. Dinner was leftover pizza. Definitely not gluten free for either of them today. I'm far lazier about that than I really care for.

Podcasts today were all musical. Todays lesson was that you guys are awesome and intend to keep me rather busy keeping up with threads around here.

Workouts today included 5.7 miles of running, 3 miles of walking, the Streak, and the second round this week of TGUs and swings.

Got 6h30 of sleep last night, late night due to the movie and helping out a friend in need. Picked up the white shirt I'll be using with the costume, but the white shorts I was looking at, fairly similar to my current "running" shorts (really basketball shorts because I prefer the length and pockets) were too thin for my taste. Gonna have to keep looking for some shorts, and working on those ears. Got some much needed cleanup done around the apartment, had a good day lounging around with the wife on top of it. Good day.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Day 0, Sunday.

Breakfast was a honey stinger gel and "waffle" during and after my run respectively. Lunch was a bacon cheeseburger, some chicken tenders, some cheese curds, and some soft serve. Dinner was roast chicken, spinach, white rice, some chicken offal, a big salad with olives and some hard cheese, and some blueberry cheesecake.

Podcasts today were all musical in nature. Todays lesson was that long runs in this weather can be quite difficult.

Workouts today included 11.3 miles of running, 1.8 miles of walking, and the Streak.

Got 7h sleep last night, good thing too. Did a little laundry and some cleanup then spent the day basically vegging and clearing out some computer things to keep the day pretty non-strenuous. Overall worked out pretty fine. Watched a little Doctor Who as well. Good Day.

Bis Nexte Woche!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Day 1, Monday.

No breakfast. Lunch was chimichurri salmon burrito (it had beans in it but was otherwise pretty good), a cheese quesadilla, and some tortilla chips. Dinner was a stir fry the wife picked up, some kind of rice noodles, pretty tasty with some sriracha. Afterward there was some berry cheesecake that was entirely too delicious. Lunch and dinner were both mostly free of the glutens so that's a pretty good start to the challenge on that part.

Todays listening was This Week in Tech, Running with the Pack, and some music. Todays lesson was that just because something has worked reliably in the past doesn't mean it will continue to work reliably today.

Workouts included 4.4 miles of walking, the Streak, and the first of the weekly TGU/Swing workouts. 

Got 8h15 of sleep last night. I'm not sure if it's because both of my really long sleep tests recently have been the night after my long run or some side effect of that much sleep, but both times in the afternoon I got really tired right around when I had to drive from one place to another. Weird coincidence, sign I need more sleep after long runs, or sign too much sleep is making me tired? Time to investigate! Otherwise a pretty good day, got some stuff done around home and planned out some costume stuff as well.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Chimichurri salmon!?  Why has it never crossed my mind to combine the two before?  

Also, reading about the many podcasts you seem to listen to makes me want to find a couple for myself!

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

Shukar your consistency is admirable. Can I be you when I grow up? You got me listening to podcasts, as well lol!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

@Klay, That was actually quite tasty, and something I may have to try and replicate at home with better quality ingredients.

@Hammi, Consistency is key they tell me, and I find I do a lot better with my goals overall if I have something to do every day that I can track and point to. If I have to do it every day or lose points I'm more likely to do that thing, which makes me more likely to do the other things because I've already got the healthy decisions started.  Much like having a running plan makes me run more consistently because otherwise I'm falling short of the plan, etc. Accountability and reporting helps keep me better about all my goals. Without the forums to report to it would be much harder for me to not mess up my diet a lot more often.

Day 2, Tuesday.

No breakfast. Lunch was chicken tenders, a cheese dog, and some cheese fries. Dinner was bangers, an asparagus and mushroom sauté, and some cheese filled mushrooms. Halfway for the deal hits the goal at least. I also had some more leftover cheesecake because it was delicious and full of berries.

Podcasts today included Home Theater Geeks, Framerate, and Savage Lovecast; no Paleo Solution because apparently the audio was janky, I'm only a lot sad. Todays lesson was that I do not possess the minimum requirements to drive screws through a metal plate, nor can I find them lying about.

Workouts included 3.2 miles of running, 4.6 miles of walking, the Streak, and the misc day of Kettlebells (lunges, pistol work, and deadlifts). 

Got 7h sleep last night, if only just. Paid some bills, responsible but not fun, and watched some Doctor Who. Good day.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I admire your consistency as well!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

@Earl, when the metal plate happens to be in place of the drop tile in the ceiling I'm trying to mount something to, the screws need to go through it.

@German, I try to keep a fairly steady clip around here if only as a benchmark for others to gauge their progress against (or something).

Day 3, Wednesday.

No breakfast. Lunch was a delicious steak in a creamy black peppercorn sauce (I can't spell french), garlic mashed potatoes, and a Caesar salad. Dinner was much less awesome, consisting of a couple hotdogs, some nachos, some cinnamon nuts, and some peanutbutter filled candies. Again, halfway for the day hits the goal along the way.

Listening today was music and the first half of Sex Nerd Sandra. Todays lesson was just a refresher on why I hate three phase power.

Workouts today included 5.6 miles of walking, plus the Streak.

Got 7h sleep last night. Spent all day at work dealing with work things, from early to late due to a special event, so I didn't get much of anything done around the apartment but the ever industrious wife got some things done for which I will be sure to thank her when she's more awake.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines