Smurray's quest for the best role model for my kids

smurray

The main theme of this quest is to remove as many bad habits as possible so I will not only tell my daughters the best way to live life, but also be there to show them as well.

Goal 1: weight- Drop weight to 234 lbs.  Weight has always been a challenge for me and I was successful with a 10lb drop on the last 6WC.  This will be a constant on the quest until I achieve a proper weight under 190 lbs. 

PASS or FAIL  (1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

Goal 2: diet-  Growing up in the South if it didn't have fat, sugar, and salt, it wasn't real cookin'.  Also if you didn't clean your plate and did not take seconds, you were disrespectful to the cook and let those poor children in whatever third world country starve.  Not only do I need to work on "what" I eat, but "how much" I eat.  The last challenge I increased my fruit and veggie intake, this challenge I am reducing my portions and logging my meals.  With me logging my meals, it will force me to look at my portions. 

All days logged 100%- A, 90%- B, 70%- C 60%- D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)

Goal 3: exercise-  I have been thinking about 1/2 marathon training again, but I need to concentrate on strength training for this 6WC. This challenge, I will do the Angry Bird Workout 3x a week and achieve level 3 on 3 out of the 4 exercises. Also I will increase my standard running workout from 5k to 8k.

PASS or FAIL (2 STR, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

Life goal:  Build the fort I promised my girls.  I have to clear out a shed, remove the shed, acquire reclaimed materials and then construct.  I also will have the girls help out in various stages of this project. I will post weekly pictures of our progress.

PASS or FAIL  (3 WIS, 1 CHA)

Motivation will be setting a good example for my kids and showing them how to live every day to the fullest.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

There aren't many better motivations than that one.

Best of luck!  :)

Thanks.  I was trying to think of a long term quest that would include all of my goals and I thought this would be a good one.

Challenges:

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

That is an awesome main quest.  I think your goals fit well and I'm excited to see the fort progress - that sounds so fun!

Thanks.  The fort is going to be a lot of fun.  I will leave a fairly blank slate for the girls to decorate.

Great goals! I know you'll kick butt on them after doing so well last challenge. I'm super stoked to see the fort! Sounds like a lot of work but I know it'll pay off. Good luck! :)

I lapsed big time during the break, so I have some catching up to do.  Thanks for the luck, it will definitely be put to use.

Good Luck! Love your motivation

Thanks, I know you will do a great job this round as well.

A pretty good start for day 1.  It is amazing when you start logging, you immediately change your eating habits.  You are aware of everything you eat and you know you will reflect on it at the end of the day. When you begin, it is easy and you feel like you can have complete control, but soon the chaotic nature of life catches up with you and your decisions start being swayed.  After so many failings in choices, you give up logging because you do not want to reflect on the day and decide to just fall back in your bad habits because it is easy.   My biggest challenge for this round is to stay committed to the journal and continue toward developing better habits.  I hope I can count on you guys to hold me accountable on logging and I will work on logging both the good and bad. 

July 29, 2013

Foods Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber

Breakfast

Apple - Gala - Large, 1 apple (abt 226g/ 8oz) 80 22g 0g 1g 0mg 1mg 17g 5g

Tea - Brewed, prepared with tap water (black tea), 1 cup (8 fl oz) 2 1g 0g 0g 0mg 7mg 0g 0g

Lunch

Subway - Black Forest Ham on Whole Wheat No Cheese No Mayo, 6 inch 280 46g 5g 18g 25mg 830mg 8g 5g

Baked Lays - Baked Lays Original, 1 package (9/8 oz) 130 26g 2g 2g 0mg 150mg 2g 2g

Subway - Fuze Unsweet Tea 21 oz, 42 oz 0 2g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g

Dinner

Little Caesar's - Sausage Pizza - 1 Slice, 3 Slice 597 76g 24g 33g 60mg 1,164mg 6g 3g

Snacks

Nips - Caramel - Sugar Free, 1 pieces 30 0g 1g 0g 3mg 5mg 0g 0g

Brach's - Sugar Free Butterscotch, 3 pieces 35 17g 0g 0g 0mg 80mg 0g 0g

Crystal Light - Iced Tea Singles, 1 packet in 8 fl oz 10 0g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g

TOTAL: 1,164 190g 32g 54g 88mg 2,237mg 33g 15g

Food Notes

pretty good first day. I do need to eat a little more.

Exercises

Calories Minutes Sets Reps Weight

Cardiovascular walk/jog 723 30  

TOTALS: 723 30 0 0 0

Exercise notes

First outdoor run in months. plenty of elevation changes and kept pace at 9.51 mi\min. feel good after 3 mile run.

Challenges:

Great mission smurray!  Setting examples for our kids is awesome stuff.  I have my 4 year old doing solid push ups with me when I do them.  It's really cute and helps with motivation.  Now if I can just keep the dog from licking my face...  I do agree with the cals being a bit low but I'm still working on cals for myself, so take that with a grain of salt, sugar, and fat :)

Can't wait to see pictures of the fort!

Level 3 Half Orc Ranger (0%)

Current1st, 2nd, 3rd

Pretty good day 1!  That's an impressive run time, given how long it's been.

I also agree that the cals are probably low, but your macro distribution is almost dead on the same as mine - hopefully we can help each other make better choices as this goes on.  :)

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Great mission smurray!  Setting examples for our kids is awesome stuff.  I have my 4 year old doing solid push ups with me when I do them.  It's really cute and helps with motivation.  Now if I can just keep the dog from licking my face...  I do agree with the cals being a bit low but I'm still working on cals for myself, so take that with a grain of salt, sugar, and fat :)

Can't wait to see pictures of the fort!

Thanks,  I am glad your 4 year old is getting in on the pushups.  My 7 year old likes throwing up a few push ups as well.  One time we picked her up from Kindergarten and she had bandages on her hands as if the was a burn victim.  We found out that she traveled back and forth on the monkey bars to the point she had blisters and then tore them open before she stopped.  The school nurse wrapped her up and she had to get another kid to help her with her work.  It was pretty funny.  It is amazing how she has really taken to exercise.

Pretty good day 1!  That's an impressive run time, given how long it's been.

I also agree that the cals are probably low, but your macro distribution is almost dead on the same as mine - hopefully we can help each other make better choices as this goes on.   :)

Thanks, I am feeling the run in my legs today.  I have been running on the track at the gym so much that the hills really gave me a good burn.  I did better on the meals today, but carbs and sugars are still my weakness.

Challenges:

Today was pretty good.  I got a bag of Skittles in the mail with a delivery and that was my weakness for today.  I did make it to the store to get lunch fixin's for the rest of the week.  Plenty fruits and veggies are waiting for me in the break room fridge. I did my first Angry Bird workout tonight and had pretty good results.  I had to really push through in completing my squats after my run yesterday.  Right now I am at level 2 on legs, back, abs, and level 3 on chest.  I can level up right now on all but back, but I am wondering if that will hurt my improvements on the back exercise since I would have to exert more energy on leveling up the other three.   I am definitely going to have to take a rest day on strength training. 

I have been watching the weather while posting and it looks like rain planned for the weekend.  I am going to have find some dry moments to work on cleaning out the fort location.

July 30, 2013

Foods Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber

Breakfast

Apple - Gala - Large, 1 apple (abt 226g/ 8oz) 80 22g 0g 1g 0mg 1mg 17g 5g

Tea - Brewed, prepared with tap water (black tea), 1 cup (8 fl oz) 2 1g 0g 0g 0mg 7mg 0g 0g

Lunch

Subway - Black Forest Ham on Whole Wheat No Cheese No Mayo, 6 inch 280 46g 5g 18g 25mg 830mg 8g 5g

Baked Lays - Baked Lays Original, 1 package (9/8 oz) 130 26g 2g 2g 0mg 150mg 2g 2g

Subway - Fuze Unsweet Tea 21 oz, 42 oz 0 2g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g

Dinner

Member's Mark (Sam's Club) - Chicken Breast Tenders, 9 oz 480 42g 18g 39g 90mg 1,350mg 0g 0g

Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 1 cup 216 45g 2g 5g 0mg 10mg 1g 4g

Snacks

Skittles - Original 2.17 oz, 1 bag 250 56g 3g 0g 0mg 0mg 46g 0g

Sonic - Route 44 Unsweet Tea, 44 oz 0 0g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g

Starburst - Individual Fruit Chews (4/serving), 1 chew 20 4g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 3g 0g

Walmart Great Value - Yellow Popcorn (Air Popped), 1.5 tbsp unpopped 63 13g 1g 2g 0mg 0mg 0g 3g

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber

TOTAL: 1,521    257g  31g  67g    115mg   2,348mg  77g   19g

Food Notes

A little over on carbs and sugars, but got the protein in for the day while staying under calories.

Exercises

Strength Training

Squat   1x50   total 50   ***

Push Ups    1x40, 1x10   total 50  ***

Inverted row   1x6, 1x5, 1x4, 1x5 total 20   *

Plank   1x 131 sec   ***

Exercise notes

Did Angry Birds for the first time in a while. inverted rows were tough after squats and push ups.

Challenges:

Great job!  I really need to test myself using Angry Birds.  I've just been putting it off, but I think it's time to just get it over with.  :)  Maybe that will be my second strength training this week...  Hmm...

Is it sad that I didn't buy cucumbers for my salad just so I wouldn't have to modify the existing meal for tracking?

LOL I wouldn't stress over cucumbers.  They are nothing but water.  Bacon bits on the other hand..?

Challenges:

Got a date night with the misses tonight.  The kids are spending the night with the grandparents.  Legs were still pretty sore from the run and Angry Birds workout so I made today a rest day.  We ate out a quick meal and I was able to keep is under the calorie goal, but it did push the sodium number a little high.  I couldn't resist and got popcorn and a drink at the theater.  We did not go back for a refill and I was still able stay on task with my goals.  I only took a few sips from the drink to wash down popcorn and I honestly wished I had gotten a water. It was nice to have a rest day and recharge for tomorrow.

July 31, 2013

Foods                        Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber

Breakfast

Banana - 1 Medium, 1 banana 110 29g 0g 1g 0mg 0mg 15g 3g

Lunch

Kroger - Real Bacon Bits, 1 tbsp (7 g) 25 0g 2g 3g 5mg 220mg 0g 0g

Ken's Steak House - Lite Honey Mustard, 1 Tbsp 35 5g 3g 0g 3mg 95mg 4g 0g

Grimmway Farms - Matchstick Carrots, 3 oz 35 8g 0g 1g 0mg 65mg 5g 2g

Marketside (Walmart - Classic Iceberg Salad (Correct), 106.25 g (1 1/2 cups) 19 4g 0g 1g 0mg 19mg 3g 1g

Marketside - Baby Spinach, 2.64 Cups 13 2g 0g 1g 0mg 43mg 0g 1g

Master's Touch Vine Sweet Mini Peppers - Mini Colored Sweet Peppers, 85 grams (3 peppers) 25 5g 0g 1g 0mg 0mg 3g 1g

Great Value - Thin Sliced Smoked Ham Black Forest, 5 slices 60 1g 2g 10g 20mg 620mg 1g 0g

Rothbury Farms - Seasoned Croutons, 2 tbsp 30 5g 1g 1g 0mg 105mg 0g 1g

Great Value - All Natural Dried Cranberries, 0.0333 cup 13 3g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 3g 0g

Grapes, Red - Red Seedless Grapes, 15 grapes 104 13g 0g 1g 0mg 2mg 11g 1g

Dinner

Sonic Drive-In - Jr. Breakfast Burrito-Sausage (5/16/12) Update 3/24/13, 1 burrito 280 23g 15g 13g 140mg 830mg 0g 0g

Sonic - Small Tator Tots, 1 serving 220 27g 12g 2g 0mg 560mg 0g 2g

Sonic - Large Unsweet Tea, 32 ounces 5 2g 0g 0g 0mg 20mg 0g 0g

Snacks

Amc Movie Theatres - Large Popcorn - No Butter, 0.5 bag 515 0g 0g 0g 0mg 290mg 0g 0g

Generic - Diet Dr Pepper - Large, 16 oz 0 0g 0g 0g 0mg 55mg 0g 0g

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium  Sugars Fiber

TOTAL: 1,526    145g 35g  35g     168mg   3,011mg  45g     12g

Food Notes

Stayed under calories, but the small dinner out and movie popcorn hit me in the sodium dept.

Challenges:

Yay for rest days!  I needed one too...  Also, very impressive on staying on track with your calorie goals, even with eating out and movies!  Movies are my downfall.  We almost always do candy + giant soda + popcorn.  It's a mess, I tell ya.  :)

Yay for rest days!  I needed one too...  Also, very impressive on staying on track with your calorie goals, even with eating out and movies!  Movies are my downfall.  We almost always do candy + giant soda + popcorn.  It's a mess, I tell ya.   :)

I told my wife that we should eat first and then go to the movies so I wouldn't be tempted.  I ate so light for dinner, I had room for popcorn.  It did help that the concession stand closed 15 mins after our movie started, so I was not tempted to get the free refills of popcorn and drink.  If someone could just come up with a healthy snack that could be sold at movies with the same profit margins as the junk foods, we would make a fortune.

BTW we went and saw Red2.  I don't know what it is about Bruce Willis, but I think he does just an awesome job with his characters.  Now that I think about it, he just finds characters that are like him and he just plays himself in every movie.  He cracks me up.

Challenges:

Pretty good day today.  Nothing out of the ordinary. I did make to the gym for the first time this week.  The challenge I have at my gym is that in the calisthenics area near the track there is not a way to do inverted rows.  Since I struggled Tuesday with that exercise, I rolled back to the one arm rows with a 15 lb kettlebell.   I also split each exercise into two sets and in between each set I ran 1 lap.  Ended up with a mile after the workout was completed.

August 01, 2013

Foods

Breakfast

Banana - 1 Medium, 1 banana 110 29g 0g 1g 0mg 0mg 15g 3g

Lunch

Kroger - Real Bacon Bits, 1 tbsp (7 g) 25 0g 2g 3g 5mg 220mg 0g 0g

Ken's Steak House - Lite Honey Mustard, 1 Tbsp 35 5g 3g 0g 3mg 95mg 4g 0g

Grimmway Farms - Matchstick Carrots, 3 oz 35 8g 0g 1g 0mg 65mg 5g 2g

Marketside (Walmart - Classic Iceberg Salad (Correct), 106.25 g (1 1/2 cups) 19 4g 0g 1g 0mg 19mg 3g 1g

Marketside - Baby Spinach, 2.64 Cups 13 2g 0g 1g 0mg 43mg 0g 1g

Great Value - Thin Sliced Smoked Ham Black Forest, 5 slices 60 1g 2g 10g 20mg 620mg 1g 0g

Rothbury Farms - Seasoned Croutons, 2 tbsp 30 5g 1g 1g 0mg 105mg 0g 1g

Great Value - All Natural Dried Cranberries, 0.0333 cup 13 3g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 3g 0g

Grapes, Red - Red Seedless Grapes, 10 grapes 69 9g 0g 0g 0mg 1mg 8g 0g

Master's Touch Vine Sweet Mini Peppers - Mini Colored Sweet Peppers, 42.5 grams (3 peppers) 13 3g 0g 1g 0mg 0mg 2g 1g

Dinner

Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 1 cup 216 45g 2g 5g 0mg 10mg 1g 4g

Tyson Large Chicken Tenderloins - 100% All Natural Chicken Breast Tenders, 8 oz. 200 0g 1g 44g 90mg 380mg 0g 0g

Snacks

TOTAL: 875     132g  11g  68g     118mg 1,645mg  42g    13g

Exercises Calories Minutes Sets Reps Weight

Cardiovascular

Running (jogging), 7 mph (8.5 min mile) 213 10  

Strength Training

Push Ups (push-ups)   2 25 

Squat   2 25 

Dumbbell Row, One-Arm, Bent-Over   2 15 15 

Plank   2 1 

TOTALS: 213 10 8 66 15

Exercise notes

I did a circuit format with Angry Birds. I did a lap inbetween every set and ended up with 9 laps which is a little over a mile. Each lap was done in a minute. 2 min rest in the middle due to an interruption. Workout was less than 30 mins. I am feeling good after the workout.

I know I must have burned more than the calories listed due to my heart rate being elevated during strength exercises.

Challenges:

Good idea on getting circuit training in. It helps keep the workout sessions time down. It's hard too :)

That's a fantastic pace! How's the hunger? Any issues there?

Your after burn should be pretty good with that style of training. Keep it up! The weekend is near.

I ate a huge salad after my workout and had ham on it, but I don't think it was enough.  Within a couple of hours I was hungry again.  I think I am going to keep AngryBirds as a circuit when I go to the gym.  Since I am increasing my distance for running, the track, at the gym, (8.5 laps= 1 mile) will be mind numbing with all the laps.  I did get huge hunger pains last night and could not find anything to eat at the house, so I popped some popcorn to curb it.  I need to go to the store and get some protein snacks for those occasions.

Challenges:

Great job yesterday!  I love doing circuit-style workouts with a run in the middle... I do those sometimes at the park by my house.  And I totally feel you on getting bored running in circles all the time.  I was stuck doing that last winter and it got really old, really fast.  I would usually shake it up by doing interval work or throwing in a set of stairs once every few laps.  But doing strength is even better!

Sounds like a great workout. Way to adapt and overcome!

Hunger: To sustain great workouts you need to eat, A LOT MORE than what you've been eating this week. It is hard to get behind, I know, but 875 calories would hardly sustain a coma patient :(. I do not know your particulars, but I suspect given that you are a moderately active man, you will experience substantially greater strength gains and fat loss if you up your calorie intake to somewhere north of 2250 a day. Use any TDEE calculator to determine your caloric requirement then reduce the number no more than 10%. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ is a great calculator and the website has other useful information. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz2aoyThZR9 is another great reference to check out before you decide what carb/fat/protein ratio to which you will aim, and http://eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/ has an even better TDEE calculator.

Level 2 Ranger

CON 4 I WIS .75 I STA 1 I STR 4.5 I DEX 1 I CHA 2.5 

1st Challenge

2nd Challenge

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines