Eth's Eighth: The Warrior Inside

Eth

Eth's Eighth: The Warrior Inside

Hi guys! You might remember me from that one warrior challenge I did a few months back. Well, I've decided to part ways with the Rangers and return to live with the Warriors for what I think may be the long term, because I feel like the Warrior guild is more in line with my medium-long term goals now. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Eth, a 26-year-old software developer.

Now let's see if I understand the new challenge rules correctly...

Starting stats:

Height: 5'7" (170 cm)

Weight: 145.0 lbs (65.7 kg)

Body fat: 10.3% by calipers, 11.1% by scale

Starting working sets (sets of 5; all weights in pounds):

Squat: 190

Bench: 100

Deadlift: 190

OHP: 85

Main Quest: LIFT MOAR and gain muscle mass

Goal #1: Consistently follow new workout routine 3 days per week (+3 STR)

I've chosen to end my experiment with 5/3/1 after about five months of virtually no progress (except with OHP). I'll post more details about the new routine here in a bit, but it's based very heavily on Starting Strength (which is what I was doing before 5/3/1). My schedule has me lifting thrice weekly, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. The most difficult part here is actually convincing myself to get out of bed at 5:30 in the morning to do it.

Goal #2: Eat enough to fuel those lifts (+4 CON)

It's no secret: if you want to LIFT MOAR, you also have to EAT MOAR. And I've found that if I don't keep track of what I eat, I often don't eat enough. So here's the deal: I currently have a plan to try to gain roughly ten pounds, but I want to do it at a controlled rate over about the next two challenges or so. In order to do this, I've estimated that I need to eat at least 20,000 21,000 calories per week. I'll be keeping track of this in MyFitnessPal, which I signed up for about two weeks ago for this purpose.

Goal #3: Recovery is important, and that includes sleep (+2 CON)

With waking up at what I like to call "ass o'clock" for those workouts, it's often a struggle to force myself to go to bed early enough to get the rest that I need. This one is simple: average at least 7.5 hours of sleep per night, as measured from "lights out" to the time my alarm goes off (or when I wake up naturally in the case of days my alarm isn't set, i.e. Sundays).

Life Quest: A warrior doesn't have to be a lone wolf (+4 CHA)

The time has come to start putting myself out there. No more excuses. Also, my coworker has more or less insisted on it (and been backed up by another of my best friends). So, by the end of this challenge I must successfully build my online dating profile. There shouldn't be anything stopping me here other than inertia and a general lack of confidence, which just isn't very Warrior-like. So suck it up.

Side Quest: Don't overdo the cardio (+2 WIS)

As any of you who have followed my escapades as a Ranger probably know, I do a fair bit of running. I'm also fully aware that too much of that is going to eat into any strength gains. Well, right now, I'm not training for any races, at least for the next couple months. I'm not going to give up running completely, because I get too much enjoyment out of it (and socializing with the other runners in my group), but I need to keep the cardio in check. So I'm going to try to keep my running limited to no more than 8 miles per week. Our group generally does two runs each week: 3.5 miles on Wednesday evenings, and 4.5 on Saturday mornings. I'll allow myself those, but no more (and no dropping in early on Saturdays to do a couple extra miles beforehand, as some in the group do).

Eth - Level 8 Breton Warrior

STR 24.5 | DEX 9 | STA 20.5 | CON 13 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: The Warrior Within | Fitocracy

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Hey another Ranger going Warrior!  I'm wondering myself if I won't become a long term warrior convert.

Do you have a link to this "Starting Strength" routine that you are going to use?  I'm curious to read up on it.

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

I'm with you on the Lift Moar, Eat Moar, Sleep Moar mantra.  I totally understand the desire to join the Warriors.  They've got some great resources here.  Good luck with your challenge!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Yeah. I also have a "no progress except for..." from 5/3/1. None of my lifts increased, but looking back at things other than the numbers, there is a lot of things it did help. The BBB template with the extra 5x10s got a bunch of practice reps in and really helped to drill form. I was having issues with certain muscle groups "dropping out" of exercises (eg, shoulders during bench) and all that has now stopped. If anything, it gave me some useful take-aways that I'm modding into my program.

Welcome back to the Warriors!

There is no signature here.

Starting Strength is a book, a web site and a training program, all from Mark Rippetoe  

Web site here http://startingstrength.com/

Ebook on Amazon

Training program in both places.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

A few notes for the weekend before the challenge start:

1. I think I'm going to revise the calorie goal upward a little bit. The last week has had me at a 2900 cal/day pace, and I've actually lost about half a pound in that timeframe (when I actually want to gain around a pound a week). So I might need to boost that weekly total up from 20k to at least 21k, maybe even 22k. I'll make a decision on that by Monday.

2. I also said I'd give some more details about my lifting. As I said, it's very heavily based on Starting Strength - the major differences are that there aren't as many warmup sets and there's a bit more assistance work. Other than that, it's the same principle: ostensibly linear progression, 1x5 on deadlifts and 3x5 on the other major lifts, failure on three consecutive workouts necessitating a deload.

The schedule looks something like this:

Squats - Monday/Friday

Deadlifts - Wednesday

Bench/OHP - alternating each workout

So the main lifts effectively cycle every two weeks. There are four assistance exercises: front squats, close-grip bench, straight-leg deadlifts, and bent over rows. The rotation of those is less clearly defined, but they're each done three times in a four-week period (and naturally, no back squats and front squats on the same day, etc.).

Friday had me doing back squats at 190 and OHP at 85. Got 2x5 on both of those, but didn't have the juice for a third set on either (that, and I felt like I should be fairly cautious after almost passing out from my squats on Monday).

3. I do have something in the back of my mind for my life quest, but I'm not so certain I really want to tackle it. Which is, in and of itself, probably a sign that I should do it. Still deliberating on this one. I could probably use the charisma points...

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Challenge Start!

- Updated starting stats with this morning's measurements, as well as current lifts.

- Officially increased calorie goal from 20k/week to 21k/week.

- Added life goal, with some trepidation. It needs to be done, though.

- Tweaked some of the stat points on the goals slightly.

All right, let's go!

Day 1 - Monday, July 29

Last night's sleep wasn't technically part of this challenge (that starts tonight), but for what it's worth, it came in at 7 hours and 33 minutes (10:42pm to 6:15am).

The challenge begins with squat and bench day. For both lifts, my second attempt at these weights (again, 3 successive failures requires a 10% deload). On Friday I finished two sets on the squats but didn't attempt the third; on Wednesday I fell one rep short on the last set on the bench press.

Back Squats:

5x95

3x140

2x170

5x190

5x190

5x190 [ADVANCE!]

Bench Press:

5x50

3x75

2x90

5x100

5x100

5x100 [ADVANCE!]

Parallel-Grip Pull-Up x4 (between bench sets)

Close-Grip Pull-Up x4 (between bench sets)

Didn't have an enormous amount of difficulty with the squats, though I was rather concerned at the end because the back of my head was hurting. Two squat sessions in a row I've noticed this now, as it happened on Friday too, which worries me a bit.

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Didn't have an enormous amount of difficulty with the squats, though I was rather concerned at the end because the back of my head was hurting. Two squat sessions in a row I've noticed this now, as it happened on Friday too, which worries me a bit.

where is the bar resting?  (should be shoulders, not neck)

are you looking up when you are lifting? (don't do that, look at the floor)

where are your hands/thumbs?  (you should not be pressing up on the bar with your hands, though this will usually translate to elbow pain).

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Day 2 - Tuesday, July 30

Rest day. Shoulder aching a bit, which is not normal; hopefully will clear up by tomorrow morning (by which I mean this morning, since I'm writing this on Wednesday).

Food:

Today: 3017 calories [281g carbs, 123g fat, 177g protein]

Week to date: 6044 (average 3022/day)

Sleep:

Lights out at 10:10pm

Alarm at 5:45am

Total: 7 hours, 35 minutes

Week total: 15h12m (avg 7h36m)

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Day 3 - Wednesday, July 31

So the winner of the Injured Body Part of the Month award for August has been announced. Left Leg's run in April/May was followed by an appearance from Right Leg in June/July; the lower body has seemingly now given way to Right Shoulder. Hopefully I'm wrong and this will only last a couple days, but given my track record this year, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Deadlifts this morning went without incident:

5x95

3x140

2x170

5x190 [rep PR!] [ADVANCE!]

Deadlift PR is 215, but 190's the most I've ever managed for five reps.

OHP, on the other hand...

5x45

3x65

2x75

Ended the workout after the double at 75 because my shoulder was angry. Can I get just one week this year without one body part or another getting all pissy?

Technically that should've been my last attempt at 85 before needing a deload, but seeing as I didn't really attempt it due to injury, I'm taking a mulligan on that one and will give it another try Monday.

I've decided to make another minor change to my programming: Friday is going to be a deadlift day instead of a squat day. The reason for this is that my deadlifts need considerably more work than my squats right now. According to http://www.strstd.com/, my squats are sitting right on the cusp of "intermediate", while my deadlifts haven't even reached "novice" yet (and my bench is even worse). It is, after all, a little unusual for one's squat and deadlift to be equal, as mine are right now. So I'm going to devote a little extra effort to the deadlift for the time being.

Today is Wednesday, which meant I went for a run after work. It rained most of the day (what else is new?), which had the benefit of keeping temperatures down, and luckily the rain stopped before the run. I ran with a slightly faster portion of the group than I'm usually with, but still managed to not stop to walk except at traffic lights.

Time: 39:01

Distance: 3.52 mi

Pace: 11:05/mi

This was followed, as always, by our customary trip to the bar. I love Wednesdays.

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

More Day 3 stuff:

Food:

Today: 2866 calories [278 carbs, 106 fat, 132 protein] - this has a tendency to be a little low on Wednesdays because I go out for dinner instead of eating what I've cooked

Week to date: 8910 (avg 2970/day)

Sleep:

Lights out: 10:50pm

Alarm: 6:45am

Total: 7 hours, 55 minutes

Week total: 23h7m (avg 7h42m/night)

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Ugh, injuries. Dude, I hate them. I've had my fair share. 

As far as deadlift/squat goes... If Jdanger popped I think he'd say something much more intelligent and elegant that me.. but here goes:

squats will drive up deadlift but deadlift will not drive up squat.  So, basically, if you want to get better at deadlift, aside from technique, squat more.  No lie! :)

What kind of shoulder pain are you having? 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Aha! Here you are! I'm not sure why I couldn't find your thread before, since you said you were making the switch. But, I kept missing it. I guess I need some reading glasses.

Congrats on the DL PR!! That's how to bust out of the gates on a challenge!

Bummer about the shoulder though. You seem to have the injury bug this year for sure. But, you've bounced back from the leg issues. I'm sure the shoulder will bounce back too.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Good work so far, keep it up!  Hopefully the shoulder will feel a bit more solid, since you're eating enough calories to build up the muscle, just don't push it if it's in pain.

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to listen to the shoulder as much as possible. If I start feeling pain during my workout, I stop there to try to keep from damaging it any further.

Ugh, injuries. Dude, I hate them. I've had my fair share. 

As far as deadlift/squat goes... If Jdanger popped I think he'd say something much more intelligent and elegant that me.. but here goes:

squats will drive up deadlift but deadlift will not drive up squat.  So, basically, if you want to get better at deadlift, aside from technique, squat more.  No lie! :)

What kind of shoulder pain are you having? 

Hmm. Definitely will need to think about this more. Maybe I should compromise and just alternate between squat and deadlift like I do with bench/OHP.

As far as the pain, most of the time it's manifesting as just a dull ache, though sometimes it'll get a bit sharper if I do something that particularly strains it (which, of course, I'm trying not to do too much).

Aha! Here you are! I'm not sure why I couldn't find your thread before, since you said you were making the switch. But, I kept missing it. I guess I need some reading glasses.

Congrats on the DL PR!! That's how to bust out of the gates on a challenge!

Bummer about the shoulder though. You seem to have the injury bug this year for sure. But, you've bounced back from the leg issues. I'm sure the shoulder will bounce back too.

Heh. It probably didn't help that it took me almost a week to update the link in my sig. :)

Yeah, fortunately it feels like the shoulder isn't giving me quite as much of a chronic issue. Then again, use of my shoulder is often optional, unlike my legs.

Day 4 - Thursday, August 1

Rest day. Shoulder seemed a bit better during the day on Thursday.

Food:

Today: 2956 calories [183 carbs, 151 fat, 178 protein] - a slight miscalculation left me lower than I'd have liked here

Week to date: 11,866 (avg 2967/day)

Sleep:

Lights out: 10:11pm (even though I didn't actually fall asleep until more like 11:30. But I'm tracking the part that I actually can control.)

Alarm: 5:45am

Total: 7 hours, 34 minutes

Week total: 30h41m (avg 7h40m/night)

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

*eloquent (not elegant lols)

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to listen to the shoulder as much as possible. If I start feeling pain during my workout, I stop there to try to keep from damaging it any further.

Hmm. Definitely will need to think about this more. Maybe I should compromise and just alternate between squat and deadlift like I do with bench/OHP.

As far as the pain, most of the time it's manifesting as just a dull ache, though sometimes it'll get a bit sharper if I do something that particularly strains it (which, of course, I'm trying not to do too much).

Heh. It probably didn't help that it took me almost a week to update the link in my sig. :)

Yeah, fortunately it feels like the shoulder isn't giving me quite as much of a chronic issue. Then again, use of my shoulder is often optional, unlike my legs.

Okay, so read through about your workout layout (love your accessory work, btw) and what I'd suggest is keeping the lifts as they are but adding back off sets to your deadlift day.  You could pyramid back down or drop it to a weight you can move for 10 reps pretty easily (since this is about form you don't want to go to failure).  You may need to remove or rearrange one of the accessory lifts you do that day depending on time constraints but MOAR squats and back off sets seem to work well, generally speaking. 

This might be a good scenario for the warrior learning thread, too. I'd love to see what others say.

So the shoulder!   Do you have a mobility regimen?  From what you're describing I'm not sure what kind of injury it IS but it doesn't sound like anything that needs immediate medical attention (though I'd probably head to my chiro anyway). My MO is to work on self treatment via mobility, epsom soaks, and massage/chiropractic (if it's in the budget-- also, my chiro is in decatur and they are AMAZING so if you ever need it, lemme know).  I would tackle some shoulder, arm, neck, back and chest mobility (sounds like a lot but it's really not) and keep on listening to it.  Usually working on things up and down stream helps me out a lot.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Following this!I like the overall structure of your goals..and since our goals are so similar- I'm going to shamelessly copy some :)

Abt 5/3/1 - you could in the future try it again without removing the 10% . It did make a little difference for me.

For volume- how abt do your current routine as it is, then follow it up with BBB.

Abt the routine- a friend of mine informed me abt a similar routine but with more upperbody work- greyskull lp I think it's called. You might want to check it out for yourself.

Day 5 - Friday, August 2

I was on the fence about whether to go with deadlifts or squats for this morning's workout. I opted for deadlifts, since they fit right in with this week's mini-challenge, which I hadn't yet done.

Deadlift

5x100

3x145

2x175

5x195 [rep PR!] [ADVANCE!]

Snatch-Grip Deadlift

2x135

7x95

135 felt really, really awkward, though not painful. I deloaded to 95 and gave it another try and seemed to find a better rhythm there. I think it was just weird because I hadn't really done anything like that before; I still think it can be useful and will probably revisit it at some point. Week 1 mini-challenge complete.

Bench Press

5x55

3x80

Shoulder flared up again on the set at 80, so I stopped there (would've been followed by 2x95 and 5x105). It's felt fine the rest of the day since the workout, though. I have two rest days (from lifting, anyway) coming up; if it's still having issues on Monday, further action may be needed.

Food:

Today: 3014 calories [203 carbs, 161 fat, 191 protein] - Had to double up the meat in my Chipotle burrito bowl to keep from falling under for the third straight day. I am not upset about this.

Week to date: 14,880 (avg 2976/day)

Sleep:

Lights out: 11:20pm

Out of bed: 6:50am (ten minutes before my alarm, actually)

Total: 7 hours, 30 minutes

Week total: 38h11m (avg 7h38m/night)

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

*eloquent (not elegant lols)

Okay, so read through about your workout layout (love your accessory work, btw) and what I'd suggest is keeping the lifts as they are but adding back off sets to your deadlift day.  You could pyramid back down or drop it to a weight you can move for 10 reps pretty easily (since this is about form you don't want to go to failure).  You may need to remove or rearrange one of the accessory lifts you do that day depending on time constraints but MOAR squats and back off sets seem to work well, generally speaking. 

This might be a good scenario for the warrior learning thread, too. I'd love to see what others say.

So the shoulder!   Do you have a mobility regimen?  From what you're describing I'm not sure what kind of injury it IS but it doesn't sound like anything that needs immediate medical attention (though I'd probably head to my chiro anyway). My MO is to work on self treatment via mobility, epsom soaks, and massage/chiropractic (if it's in the budget-- also, my chiro is in decatur and they are AMAZING so if you ever need it, lemme know).  I would tackle some shoulder, arm, neck, back and chest mobility (sounds like a lot but it's really not) and keep on listening to it.  Usually working on things up and down stream helps me out a lot.

So, last night I was making some ice cream and thinking about deadlifts... because, ya know, that's how I work. Anyhow, it occurred to me that I needed to add to this...

while I mentioned form in my parenthetical I forgot to mention that the reason back off sets work is the volume..  I feel like the way I stated that it seemed like I thought your form was sub par.. not the case. But since you're working at a lighter weight you'll focus on form over heaviness.  You probably get what I mean.  Anyhow, volume and skwatz.

nice job on those snatch grips, btw! Woot!

So, last night I was making some ice cream and thinking about deadlifts... because, ya know, that's how I work. Anyhow, it occurred to me that I needed to add to this...

while I mentioned form in my parenthetical I forgot to mention that the reason back off sets work is the volume..  I feel like the way I stated that it seemed like I thought your form was sub par.. not the case. But since you're working at a lighter weight you'll focus on form over heaviness.  You probably get what I mean.  Anyhow, volume and skwatz.

nice job on those snatch grips, btw! Woot!

Oh no, I didn't think you were implying that at all. And yeah, I definitely get what you're talking about there - that was a major reason why I opted for the Boring But Big variant when I was doing 5/3/1 - after the main work sets, dropping back to around 50% and doing a few sets of 10. Definitely helped with the squats, that's for sure.

Day 6 - Saturday, August 3

Started with my customary Saturday morning run. My usual pace group wasn't there (most of them were either on vacation or injured), so I wound up running with a significantly faster little group. Somehow I managed to stay with them for a little over 5k before I finally succumbed. I actually didn't manage to finish the whole route; I ended up walking the final mile or so back to the start. As for the part I did run:

Time: 37:35

Distance: 3.52 mi

Pace: 10:42/mi

Food/Sleep:

Not tracked. If I had to guess, I'd say probably not enough calories, and of what I did get probably about 1000 of those came in the form of beer. Long story short, it was a friend's birthday and we celebrated in the form of a bar crawl. We made three stops, and I know I had at least five beers (though maybe as many as seven). Fortunately for me, all of them were within about 6 blocks of my building, so transportation was not an issue. I honestly don't know what time I got to bed, but I woke up at 8:47, which is the latest I've slept in a very, very long time.

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Day 7 - Sunday, August 4

Rest day.

Food:

2720 calories [296 carbs, 116 fat, 113 protein] - Not a good day here. For whatever reason, I just wasn't hungry most of the day, and as a result I didn't even come close to hitting my target.

Sleep:

Lights out: 10:34pm

Alarm: 6:15am

Total: 7 hours, 41 minutes

Dealing with Saturday's lack of tracking: The easiest thing to do would be to just ignore the day and pro-rate my weekly goals for a six-day week, but I want to introduce a penalty for failure to track (since, after all, I'm not just tracking it for the sake of tracking it; I'm tracking to make sure I actually get enough food and sleep). So my rule is this: any day that I fail to track my food or sleep will be counted as equal to the lowest daily food or sleep intake of the week, minus an additional 100 calories or 10 minutes.

So that means that Saturday will be recorded as 2620 calories (lowest was 2720 on Sunday) and 7 hours, 20 minutes (lowest was 7:30 on Friday night).

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

Oooo, penalty points. I like it! There's some additional motivation!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines