• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Donar

recomposition - the mythical trading of fat for muscle

And now for some week 3 grades....

My primary goals are these:

- follow specific nutritional plan and hit my macros every day -> Grade: A : (Had a perfect week on my nutrition. Had all planned meals and hit my macros within 5g of each macronutrient every day)

- add lean mass and get stronger -> Grade: B+ : added about a quarter pound of lean mass.... added reps or weight to most exercises

- drop body fat -> Grade: A : I lost a little over 2 pounds of fat mass this week

My level-up-my-life goal: -> Grade: B : Got a bunch of the miscellania done in the house...but still have a few "big" things I gotta wrap up

- Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night (This is the hardest....I am an insomniac) -> Grade: C : Sleep was pretty....meh....this week. A real mixed bag and fell short of 7 hours multiple times.

Overall another fantastic week. Down to 12% BF and getting stronger.

Need to try and get the life stuff going a little better this week.

I have that unsettling throat scratchy, dry, tingly crap going on......oh man, I hope I am not getting sick....nooooooooooo

Got a crapload of misc stuff done around the house today....yay.

I have that unsettling throat scratchy, dry, tingly crap going on......oh man, I hope I am not getting sick....nooooooooooo

Got a crapload of misc stuff done around the house today....yay.

man i hate getting sick, extra water today!

Uh oh....this was not good at all....

BB Bench: 245 x 6, 6, 6, 4 (and the guy touched the bar on the 3rd 6 but said he didn't help....so maybe 6)
DB Incline: 80's x 6, 5, 5
Cambered Curls: 120 x 5, 3+, 3+, 2+ (plus indicates a cheat curl on top of what is listed)
Skullz: 100 x 5, 5, 5, 4

- Took a couple steps backward
- Maybe I am in the early stages of getting the crud that the rest of my family has
- I slept 8.5 hours last night so that isn't it
- nutrition has been perfect

On the bright side....I am really leaning out nicely....I am the least vascular person in the world and I have some excellent veins in my arms appearing...

Time for a deload.

- I have been blinded by my epic win-fest.....its time.
- Haven't had a deload yet this year....due to starting over, strength has been on an incline slope since March.....woohoo!
- Elbow still not 100%
- I managed to get an impingement of some kind in my neck doing leg press last week when really bearing down...and gripping/pulling the hell out of the handles....and it flared up again yesterday on DB Inclines of all things....and I am still rocking a minor dull headache still this morning
- My right shoulder said "hello" yesterday (A 25-year old rotator cuff injury that likes to send me reminders a couple times per year)
- Reps starting to tail off

It might cost me a few tenths on the bodyfat due to reduced exertion....but so be it. Too much evidence to remain in denial....

Perfect timing on the deload.....I am officially sick.

Woke up with a fairly nasty sore throat.

Sleep has been good....progress on the house has slowed a little.... nutrition has been perfect.

Today is leg day......for me, deload means standard rep scheme but doing so at 55% 1RM rather than the 80%-85% range I am normally in.

Leg Deload Day:
Leg Press (medium stance): 360 x 12, 12, 10, 8
Smith Squat (narrow stance): 50 x 10; 70 x 10, 10; 50 x 10, 6
RDL : 195 x 10, 10, 10, 10
Standing Calf: 185 x 16, 16
Seated Calf: 70 x 20, 20, 20

- I had no idea how hard the narrow-stance smith squats were going to be....I mean whoa....
- Like all plate loaded machines, I am only listing the weight I add....so I finished with two 25's....or 50 pounds.
- Being that I need to be doing a 4 x 12....I will likely start with 50 next week as a working weight.
- Also, the medium stance leg press made the drop from 475 to 360 seem harding than I was expecting....I thought I would rip off my reps....lol
- RDL and calves went as planned and were pretty easy....quads....not so much.

Breathing sucked due to swollen throat and sinuses....but I got through it....
I am realling hoping I can be on the back side of this crud by Saturday's workout.

Breathing sucked due to swollen throat and sinuses....but I got through it....

I am realling hoping I can be on the back side of this crud by Saturday's workout.

rest up and feel better!  then you can go 110% saturday.

Sore throats still rocking....

Slept just over 8 hours last night....yay!

Today is non-training....tomorrow is back and shoulders......and statistical update day.

Hope you feel better soon!  Way to kill da workout!  Rawr!

YAY for sleep!  Sleep is Good!  Rest well and be well!

Good luck and have fun this weekend!  Rawr! :D

Thanks for stopping by kiwi....I'm honored! :)

I am really hoping to wake up tomorrow in a better state....that would mean full speed ahead for next week....*crosses fingers

Whoa.....and yeah.....I measured twice because I didn't believe it at first either....lol

Updated progress chart in my signature

This week:
Weight: 210.6
BF%: 10.87%
Fat Mass: 22.89 lbs
Lean Mass: 187.71 lbs
Waist: 36"
------------------------------
Last week:
Weight: 212.2
BF%: 12.06%
Fat Mass: 25.59
Lean Mass: 186.61
Waist: 36.0"
------------------------------
Week over week change:
Weight: - 1.6 lbs
BF%: -1.19%
Fat Mass: -2.7 lbs
Lean Mass: +0.9 lbs
Waist: no change

What is odd is how I reduced BF substantially, but the waist measurement was static...odd
Could I be dehydrated from having this cold?

Regardless......hooray for perfect nutrition!!!! 

Deload back and shoulders

BB Row: 165 x 6, 6, 6, 6
Hammer Strength Pulldown: 120 x 8, 8, 8
BB Shrug: 175 x 8, 8, 8
Seated DB Lateral: 5's x 8, 10's x 12, 15's x 12, 10's x 12, 12, 12

- Short and sweet
- It was easy so I threw in some crunches as superset on the laterals....lol.gif
- Tried doing the laterals Gironda style....I need to re-watch some videos and see if I was doing it right

Rawr!  Looking super duper!  Rawr Rawr!   I hope you took pictures at the beginning of this challenge so you can compare at the end!

What is odd is how I reduced BF substantially, but the waist measurement was static...odd
Could I be dehydrated from having this cold?

upirygirl has a theory that it's because our muscles are getting bigger/stronger underneath the fat; hence the no change.  Maybe it is the case here, too?!

Good luck and keep up the good work!  Rawr! :D

Thanks Kiwi! :)

Pics will go up.....once I get the guts to do so.... :)

On the no change waist thing....and really all the numbers this week....being sick with ear/nose/throat crud....who knows what it did to the numbers....

If I am flat....or little change next week, it likely means I was dehydrated when I measured this morning.

Next Saturday will tell the tale though.

Enjoyed reading your progress Donar. You should post before/after pics of your house too.  :)  That sounds like a major overhaul.

Hope you're over your crud. I'm still battling a lingering cough myself.

I am curious about some of your lifts, what are Cambered Curls and Skullz? Never heard of those.

Enjoyed reading your progress Donar. You should post before/after pics of your house too.   :)  That sounds like a major overhaul.

Hope you're over your crud. I'm still battling a lingering cough myself.

I am curious about some of your lifts, what are Cambered Curls and Skullz? Never heard of those.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Cambered curls are done using the zig-zaggy bar also called EZ-curl bar....I do them standing.

http://www.ironcompany.com/olympic7camberedchromebenchpressbarironcompanyob-87.aspx

Skullz a.k.a. skull crushers are a tricep exercise done with the cambered curl bar....you lay prone on the bench with a narrow'ish grip.

They call them skull crushers because you lower the bar basically to your forehead and then use the triceps to push the bar back to its starting position.....which is straight arms and the bar over your upper chest.

Thanks Kiwi! Back at you: Have a great week 5!! RAWR!

----

Got almost 8 hours of sleep last night...woohoo.....

Did a *ton* at the house today.....

Time for some week 4 grades...

digitalnebula, on 24 Jul 2013 - 9:32 PM, said:snapback.png

My primary goals are these:

- follow specific nutritional plan and hit my macros every day -> Grade: A : (Had a perfect week on my nutrition. Had all planned meals and hit my macros within 5g of each macronutrient every day)

- add lean mass and get stronger -> Grade: B+ : added 0.9 pound of lean mass....but did a deload....so no stength gains in the conventional sense...lol

- drop body fat -> Grade: A : I lost over 2 pounds of fat mass this week

My level-up-my-life goal: -> Grade: B- : Got a bunch of the miscellania done in the house...and a couple big ones

- Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night (This is the hardest....I am an insomniac) -> Grade: C : Sleep was pretty....meh....this week. A real mixed bag....some 6's and some 8's....plus I have been sick. :(

Beat the sore throat.....but it has morphed into a head cold....gah...

Got about 7.25 hours of sleep last night.

Didn't get much done on move in....but I got a lot of cooking out of the way....beef, chicken, potatoes, etc....stocked up and should be good till the weekend.

Legs in T-minus 2 hours.