Winter is the time of the Patchwolf

Thorns

Thorn, I like you. What a great intro, I wanted the story to go on! Esp as I am nearing the end of my fav series and looking for something new to delve into. . . any ways,

AgentKatia pointed out how what we do effects others. I know my daughter is listening to EVERYTHING I saw and copies what she sees around her and I want to model something worth imitating, sounds like that is what you are doing. You are amazing and motivationg and I am looking forward to going through this challenge with you.

Selfish goals are not shameful or entirely selfish. I want to live (selfish), long and healthy and be a part of my children's lives, and their children's lives, and with a liitle good luck I can even met their children (not so selfish).

Level 3 Human Ranger

STR 3.2 STA 3.2   CON 7 DEX 2 WIS 7.5 CHA 4.5

"Hi, I'm Thorns. It's NBD but I am 1/6 done with one of my goals on DAY 2 of the challenge."

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!  2 days in and showing us all how it's done, outstanding!

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I'm tired of being limited in what I can do by my body and the state that it's in.  I want to be able to jump over fences the way I used to as a child / teenager / younger man.  I want to walk through the gate because I choose to, not because I have no other choice.  Sometimes I will want to jump over, and when that happens, I don't want my body to be the reason that I don't.

Purely selfish reasons, yes.  But that's the truth;  I'm doing this for me.

I'm with you...  for me this translates to: I want to be free.  Free to do more things that now my body limits me from doing.  The more I'm capable of doing, the more choices I have, and the more free I am.  Freedom - that's the goal.

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Thorn, I like you. What a great intro, I wanted the story to go on! Esp as I am nearing the end of my fav series and looking for something new to delve into. . . any ways,

AgentKatia pointed out how what we do effects others. I know my daughter is listening to EVERYTHING I saw and copies what she sees around her and I want to model something worth imitating, sounds like that is what you are doing. You are amazing and motivationg and I am looking forward to going through this challenge with you.

Selfish goals are not shameful or entirely selfish. I want to live (selfish), long and healthy and be a part of my children's lives, and their children's lives, and with a liitle good luck I can even met their children (not so selfish).

Yeah, see that's why I call mine selfish.  I don't get to the second half of your sentence.  I want my kids to be happy and healthy and so forth and so on, but I want to live my own life and have my own fun more.  I want to have something to share with them as they grow older, as opposed to sharing in whatever they're doing.  Maybe part of that is because I don't know what they'll be doing -- I make no plans for them and have no specific wishes for them.  Just general wishes of happiness and health.

This is all about me.  If they weren't in the picture, I'd still be doing this.

"Hi, I'm Thorns. It's NBD but I am 1/6 done with one of my goals on DAY 2 of the challenge."

Yeah, it is no big deal.  I didn't go to boot camp today.  The challenge is there just to keep me motivated to keep going.  My real challenges this time around are the ones outside of boot camp.  Making sure that I take what I'm getting from it and applying it on my own.  Non-specific self-motivation is a problem for me -- I can set a short-term goal and hit it (proved that last challenge).  But working towards long-term goals... that's a challenge for me.  That's why I like the new format of the challenges this time around.  It forced me to think about why I'm doing this, and to articulate it in a way that I can quote it, and in the quoting, remind myself of it.

And the mini-goals that lead to the main quest's completion?  Genius.  That will certainly trick my skeptical subconscious into not paying attention to the magnitude of the task.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!  2 days in and showing us all how it's done, outstanding!

Says the great motivator himself.  :)

I'm with you...  for me this translates to: I want to be free.  Free to do more things that now my body limits me from doing.  The more I'm capable of doing, the more choices I have, and the more free I am.  Freedom - that's the goal.

Yes.  Freedom and choice are huge things for me.  I hate being limited in actions or decisions.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

This is all about me.  If they weren't in the picture, I'd still be doing this.*

My real challenges this time around are the ones outside of boot camp.  Making sure that I take what I'm getting from it and applying it on my own.  Non-specific self-motivation is a problem for me -- I can set a short-term goal and hit it (proved that last challenge).  But working towards long-term goals... that's a challenge for me.  That's why I like the new format of the challenges this time around.  It forced me to think about why I'm doing this, and to articulate it in a way that I can quote it, and in the quoting, remind myself of it.

And the mini-goals that lead to the main quest's completion?  Genius.  That will certainly trick my skeptical subconscious into not paying attention to the magnitude of the task.

*IMPORTANT.

I definitely feel you on the goal-setting outside of the context of a structured external workout. In the past, I've had a great deal of success with fitness classes. I show up, get my ass kicked, rinse, repeat, see results. But as soon as my financial situation changes and those classes are no longer an option, it's a slippery slope for me toward complacency, long-term goal or not. I'm less focused and less motivated. So that's one reason I'm here—to shift that mentality for a damn good workout.

I'm liking the quest format too. And YES to tricking your subconscious. 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Yeah, see that's why I call mine selfish.  I don't get to the second half of your sentence.  I want my kids to be happy and healthy and so forth and so on, but I want to live my own life and have my own fun more.  I want to have something to share with them as they grow older, as opposed to sharing in whatever they're doing.  Maybe part of that is because I don't know what they'll be doing -- I make no plans for them and have no specific wishes for them.  Just general wishes of happiness and health.

This is all about me.  If they weren't in the picture, I'd still be doing this.

This is the most selfless thing you could ever teach your kids.  You're literally teaching them to value and love themselves which in turn will most likely lead to healthier lives of longevity. You shouldn't scoff at that.  If i learnt to value myself more as a child (or even a teen) i wouldn't be sitting in the mess that i am in now, in my early adulthood. Valuable valuable lesson.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

This is the most selfless thing you could ever teach your kids.  You're literally teaching them to value and love themselves which in turn will most likely lead to healthier lives of longevity. You shouldn't scoff at that.  If i learnt to value myself more as a child (or even a teen) i wouldn't be sitting in the mess that i am in now, in my early adulthood. Valuable valuable lesson.

Yes and no.  My wife and I are polar extremes sometimes -- she's the most selfless person I know; she claims I'm the most selfish.  (To which I reply with perfect logic: if I don't look after myself first, there's nothing left to give to anybody else.)  The answer, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle.  My hope is they'll learn to love themselves by emulating me and through knowledge that I love them, they'll learn selflessness by emulating their mother, and they'll learn how partners work together by watching both of us.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

Day 3 update

• Get Lean: Weight Loss: 0 / 3Kg lost
  • Get Strong: Boot Camps: 2 of 12 done
  • Lead the Pack: Proactive Fitness: 0 / 6 done
  • Cross your territory: due on Sunday, 2013-08-11
  • :encouragement: Keep Your Gear Clean: Dishes (3/42) Rubbish (3/42) Laundry (0/6)

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Yes and no.  My wife and I are polar extremes sometimes -- she's the most selfless person I know; she claims I'm the most selfish.  (To which I reply with perfect logic: if I don't look after myself first, there's nothing left to give to anybody else.)  The answer, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle.  My hope is they'll learn to love themselves by emulating me and through knowledge that I love them, they'll learn selflessness by emulating their mother, and they'll learn how partners work together by watching both of us.

Heh, you sound like my bf and me.  Only, I'm pretty sure I'm not so selfless nor he that selfish.  Just when you compare us, he claims I'm a better person than he is. Of course, he's not in my head....

Nice work so far.  I am also working on consistency and self-motivation in the long haul.  For so long I have depended on other to get me in shape and (unsurprisingly) they let me down.  I like your attitude/motivations better than my past motivations.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Day 4 update

• Lead the Pack: Proactive Fitness: 0 / 6 done
  • :encouragement: Keep Your Gear Clean: Dishes (4/42) Rubbish (4/42) Laundry (0/6)

Not quite done with the last point (rubbish), but it will be done before bed tonight, so early mark.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Holy crap, Thorns! I'm a little late getting to your thread and BAM, you're already killing it. Again. Love the goals, love the attitude, love the progress. You are such a boss, I can barely handle it. FotB!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Whoo.  Party weekend for both boys -- it's going to be tough making time to meet my challenges this week.

That said, I did do my first workout at home, using the Rawfit Million Workouts App on my phone.  I set it for 30 minutes, and did 25 as-many-reps-as-possible (AMRAP) exercises for 1 minute each.  First time using that app -- it was alright, but it looks like the workout's not saved after you're done.  Bit of a disappointment there, but it was a good variety.  The boys worked out with me for about 15 of those minutes, then it got too hard for them and they went back inside.  Still, mission accomplished, and side mission benefit realised for this week.

Day 5&6 update

• :encouragement: Lead the Pack: Proactive Fitness: 1 / 6 done
  • :encouragement: Keep Your Gear Clean: Dishes (6/42) Rubbish (6/42) Laundry (0/6)

Tomorrow's the big party.  30-some odd immediate family coming over for a barbecue.  Should be fun, but I can't wait for everything to be back to normal.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Wow! Sounds like an intense workout and good modeling for the boys! Way to go!

OrcWarrior

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Gah!  No time for internet over the past few days...  Okay, deep breath.

Week 1 Roundup:

• :blue: Get Lean (Weight Loss): +0.1 Kg  (Yes, I actually put on some weight.  I was all set with a 0.9Kg loss on Saturday, and then pizza came for dinner on Sunday.  Boom.  I plead stress from setting up for the family birthday party on Sunday, so Saturday was spent preparing and cleaning.  I'm not sweating this -- it just makes me more determined to do well this week.)
  • :encouragement: Get Strong (Boot Camps): 2/12 (I'm on track here.  I wanted to go more, but a few fires at work required late nights working, which are not conducive to early morning boot camp starts.)
  • :encouragement: Lead the Pack (Proactive Fitness): 1/6 (On track.  Barely found the time, but I did it.)
  • :distant: Cross Your Territory:  (Coming up this weekend.)
  • :encouragement: Keep Your Gear Clean: 7/42, 7/42, 1/6  (Only on track here out of luck.  Didn't let the laundry pile up in the bedroom in the first place -- which is the marker of success for me.)

Day 8:

Boot Camp this morning was one of the most intense I've ever experienced.  Here's what I accomplished:

Round 1:  The Filthy 50 to 550

1. Jump Squats (50 reps)
  2. Back Extensions (50 reps)
  3. Knee to Elbow Mountain Climbers (25 each side)
  4. Planks into a push-up (50)
  5. Lunges into a high knee (25 each side)
  6. Bird Dogs (25 each side)
  7. Dead Bugs (50 reps)
  8. Jumping Jacks (50 reps)
  9. Diamond Crunches (50 reps)
  10. Donkey Kicks (25 each side)
  11. Dips (50 reps)

We had 15 minutes to complete them all.  I posted 14:06.

Round 2: 5-minute Competition

Each Exercise had a point value.

• Squats: 1 pt
  • Pushups: 1 pt
  • Full Sit-ups: 1 pt
  • Bicycle Crunches: 1 pt per left-right pair
  • Lunges: 1 pt
  • Burpees: 3pts
  • Swan Dives: 3 pts.

The object was to amass as many points as possible in 5 minutes, using any combination of the exercises.  Of course my gamer mode kicked on and I immediately eliminated any exercise which would take longer than 3 of the others.  Burpees and Swan Dives were out.  I also eliminated any exercise where I'd lose time transitioning from one to the other.  I can do squats all day long, so that was going to be my primary.  To give me something to give my legs a rest when needed, I chose pushups.

I'm quite proud of myself here.  in 5 minutes, I smashed out 280 reps combined.  I won the challenge by a mere 8 points.  (My prize was jelly legs.)

Round 3: Back to the  Filthy 50 to 550.

Yep.  Same as round 1.  Exactly the same.  I don't know how, especially since my legs were screaming at me this time, but I managed to clock in at 13:07 the second time around.

I felt good.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Oh that's one hell of a challenge. Congratulations on your victory!!! I'd say that jelly legs is an incredibly appropriate prize. And I'm not sure how it's physically possible you clocked a better time in round 3, except to say batman. ;)

Sounds like you were just slammed over the weekend! So, very nice first week!!!

Pizza, I tell you. Gets me every time.   

Also, I'm not sure how high I already sang your praises on the proactive fitness goal, so I'm going to do it again here. AWESOME GOAL. And way to nail it last week :D

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Thorns!  That was an intense workout and I am in awe of your performance.  Just the 280 reps alone is amazing, but then sandwiched between two intense bodyweight workouts is just insane.

You are my new "bodyweight king of awesomeness!"  You rock!

OrcWarrior

Thorns, dude, what the hell. Just stop. You've done enough exercise to fill my entire life. Twice. Maybe even thrice. You straight up jumped out Bane's crazy jail. Some pizza? I'm surprised you didn't ALL the pizzas after that workout. You are a beast.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

After reading that insaine workout this is literally the first image in my head!

Thorns

|

\/    

allhail.sml.gif

|____________________________|

|

All others!!!

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

After reading that insaine workout this is literally the first image in my head!

Thorns

|

\/    

allhail.sml.gif

|____________________________|

|

All others!!!

Agreed :)

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

LOL -- you guy are funny.  Exercise is the easy part.  It's the food that's the hard part.  Hell, sometimes I exercise more just so I can eat more.  :shame:

Work has seriously destroyed my work-life balance this week.  I only made it Boot Camp the once this week -- late nights are not conducive to early mornings.  To be fair, I did manage to make it out there yesterday morning, only to find out it was cancelled do to rain -- my fault for not checking my messages before leaving the house.

Didn't matter.  I had to walk from Central Station to Moore Park Royal Hall of Industries to pick up my race gear (number bib) for this weekend.  That's a 2.4 km (1.5 miles) walk, and the freezing cold and the pouring rain.  Then after I got my race pack, I walked to work in the city centre -- another 3.0km (1.8 miles).  I got to work and my coat was wet, my hoodie was wet, and the building was freezing, but it was 9am, and I'd already racked up 10,070 steps for the day.  That was pretty cool.

This weekend is the boys' party with all their school friends -- easy compared to the family party next weekend -- I don't have to do anything except show up and pay the bill when we're done.  Then on Sunday, it's race day.  I'm looking forward to this one -- nervous and anticipatory all at once.

So, today's Day 12 update:

• Get Lean: Weight Loss: +0.1 / 3Kg lost
  • Get Strong: Boot Camps: 3 of 12 done
  • Lead the Pack: Proactive Fitness: 1 / 6 done
  • :encouragement: Keep Your Gear Clean: Dishes (12/42) Rubbish (12/42) Laundry (1/6)

Here's to hoping work doesn't continue to kick my ass, and I can actually grab some breathing room.  Right now, my sleep time is taking the hit (though not as bad as that one time during last challenge).

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Hell, sometimes I exercise more just so I can eat more.  :shame:

I have no idea what you are talking about. 

I do this all the time. 

I too hope that work evens out soon. It sounds like a particularly hectic time with birthdays AND the race this weekend (WHICH YOU WILL DOMINATE. Looking forward to THAT war story!) on top of work madness.

Is the cold rain typical of winters for you guys? That's what we get here in SF. Sounds like an unpleasant walk but worth it to get it done!!

GOOD LUCK SUNDAY!!!! Not that you'll need it. I'm just being polite. ;)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

When it rains, it freezes.  Otherwise, Winter is a time alternating sunny days and freezing cold winds.  Australia's a funny place, but it's totally awesome.  You should come and visit.  You all should.  Australia should be on everyone's bucket list.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines