• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nice work....I have been really crushing the barbell rows lately too....

Love having a big and wide back!!

You are kicking ass.....keep it up.

Yup, it is going well.  You're a big guy too, is it frustrating gaining lean weight?  I mean at this height, 20lbs looks like a 5lb gain on a 5' 8" dude.  LAME!

My back is more thick than wide.  I have narrow clavicles and wide hips so my width isn't so great but I have a barrel chest so I'm much bigger from the side.  I think my biggest problem areas for growth are delts and arms.  I'd have said delts, midback, and arms a year ago but I was not training the midback correctly then.  Chest is good, back is good, legs are good especially quads.  Hams take a bit more work and the calves never budge, really.  They're not small but getting them to grow has been a weird thing.   

I've found that rotator cuff training as well as rear delts and proper trap training is helping with shoulder stability.  I hope this means gains!

I think for the next 'level' of lifting, I'll have to strengthen my core / abs more as well as my lower back  (Doing something besides RDs) and most importantly, improve on my hip flexibility.  It has been absolutely abysmal for most of my life and I think the lack of flexibility is probably the singular limiting factor on my deadlifts.  For whatever reason, when I was training I would never flex my glutes with leg press / squats / deadlifts.  Don't ask how that worked but that's kind of how things went.  An interesting second challenge would be to increase hamstring flexibility.  A goal of touching my toes would be a good starting point.  

As for Bench Press, I plateaued at 230lbs x 5 reps for years and years.  I suspect that rotator cuff / shoulder work might allow me to move forward but I'm not really interested in doing a purely strength orientated program because I want to avoid injury as much as possible.

All this aside, the c.a. 27% + bodyfat is the biggest problem.  The fat needs to go.  

Today was a strange abbreviated arm workout.  I didn't have much time because of other obligations so I needed to trash my arms in 20 minutes.

I did 50lb dumbbell curls x 6 reps

Preacher curls x 10 reps  (60lbs or 70, something or other.  I think 60)

Tricep compound set, no rest.

reverse grip pulldowns

pushdowns.

3 sets of each no rest.  I think it was 20lbs for reverse grip tricep extensions and 50lbs for the pushdowns.

Cable curl / bench dip superset.  No rest here at all!!

3 x 10 / 15reps.  
I got

10  12

10  10

10  9

BRUUUTAL!!!!

I see that you have a home gym.  Do you feel my envy?  LOL

Anyway, I consider myself a runner first and am training for a half-marathon.  Upper body and core strength translates to faster run times and more power in hills, sprints, etc.  Physically, I am more predisposed to be a warrior class...extra large bones for my height and explosive power in my legs, however, after accumulating too many injuries from contact sports, I moved to endurance work.

Keep up the good work!

The home gym cost a hair over $1,000 but it is terribly convenient.  I might have to spring for a pro gym for legs though.  I'm growing tired of ONLY Squats, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, and standing calf raises.  Want some variety!  Furthermore, it puts me out for doing deadlifts unless I want to skip legs every other week.  No dice!  I'm more predisposed to be an endurance athlete but I have been fighting my phenotype for years!!!  ^__^

Today was delt day.

Standing Overhead Press  (A poor exercise for me)

70lbs x 5

90lbs x 5

110lbs x 5

120lbs x 5

130lbs x 5

Bent Over Laterals.  Slow rep cadence with a pause at the top.  I focus on feeling the rear delts work.

10lbs x 15

15lbs x 12

20lbs x 8

This exercise is weird.  They are bent arm laterals with the elbows at 90 degrees but I lay face down on an incline bench that is almost upright.  This really isolates the side delts like crazy.

15lbs x 12

20lbs x 8

Standing one arm dumbbell presses.  The FINISHER!!

30lbs x 12  R &  L   Short 30 second break.

30lbs x 8 R &L  

Rotator cuffs.  Lying L rotations  5lbs x 20 reps both sides

Standing L rotations   5 lbs x 20 both sides.

And a plank that lasted sometime probably just under a minute.  UGG CORE!!

Diet is going well, still exceeding my protein target by 30g per day and still on track for my 2,650kcal today.

My wife saw me shirtless this morning and gave me a nice compliment about my progress.  It is going well!!!   ^___^

OK, so I'm going to do somewhat of an abbreviated journal here with some of my experiences lifting weights / dieting.  

So, I've always been rather smooth / watery looking.  As a teenager I was always terribly weak and un-muscular, especially in the upper body.  My upper arms were less than 11 inches when I first started lifting weights and I'm sure I've managed to put on at least 40lbs of lean since those days.  The thing that I have been the most intimidated by has been losing fat.  Because of my gangly starting appearance, I have quite an aversion to losing weight.  

Awwafibreglasscast.jpg

I have tried leaning out on several occasions and I'm hoping that by discussing this, I can perhaps shed some light on the process and maybe help people make better decisions as they try to accomplish similar goals.  

First mass weight loss.  I got viral gastroenteritis which gave me such severe cramps that I dropped from 210lbs down to 180lbs in the period of I think two weeks.  It took me quite some time to gain my strength and my weight back.

Diet #1, the fat to muscle experiment.  I ordered two programs from Ironman back when I had been lifting weights for a couple of years.  I had trained hard, got my squats up well over 100lbs, inflated my arms to 15 3/4 inches, and got my bench press well over 100lbs.  I tried the 10 week size surge and had great gains until about five weeks in when it all of the sudden stopped.  I followed the diet template religiously because I didn't know how to cook or much about nutrition beyond what was written.  My second mistake was not continuing on and doing phase 2 of the program, which I'm sure would have helped a lot.  
I then tried the fat to muscle program but I did everything wrong.  I ate the way I was accustomed to eating and I had sandwitches.  I was always hungry and felt terrible.  I lost some fat and some lean and I was quite miserable with how things went.  I also did not track how many calories I was eating, nor did I consider how many calories I needed or what sort of foods were necessary to get the results I wanted.  This really turned me off from dieting.

So, I spent several years going on in the bulking sort of mindset but my diet still was terrible.  Terrible in that while I did eat regularly I was not eating the sorts of food I needed because I did not cook for myself.   I still did OK with some fairly impressive lifts as well as getting my arms to their top size of 16 3/4 inches.    I recall trying to 'trim' here and there but it was always the 'starve myself' method.  Like most guys, I'd torch the body with the bust my ass style of training but I never really ate or slept in a way that would yield results.

PoserPaul.jpg

At age 25 1/2 I had a minor emotional crisis  (Stupid reason, really) and I felt sick to my stomach and barely ate for months.  I dropped down from 225lbs with a 38 inch waist and 16+ inch arms to 190lbs with a 34 inch waist and 15 inch arms.  I lost about 20lbs of fat and about 15lbs of muscle and looked the best I had ever looked in my life and I fought to hold my weight here through eating small amounts and running as well as weight training.  The big deal was that I leaned out quite by accident so I did not know how to replicate these results.  I've spent the rest of my life trying to figure this out.

HPIM1157.jpg

HPIM2536.jpg

In this state, my body refused to grow.  I was the same size until I went away for my masters.  When I was dating my then girlfriend  (Now wife) we ate out a lot.  I had sugary beverages, lots of greasy restaurant foods, etc.  I ballooned up to like 238lbs and then when I got back from school, I tried to lean up for the impending wedding doing a crash paleo diet along with lots of running and weight training 3 times a week.  I burnt out fast.  The different foods were hard on the stomach and the constant deprivation wore on me.  

Weight went back up to 246 over christmas.  Then I restricted calories, weight went down to 238lbs.  4 meals a day I ate.  I lost weight quickly but it felt terrible.

That summer, our son  (Who was a colic fiend) was born and we stayed at the inlaws house for the summer before going away for my doctorate. 
I ballooned up to a soggy and unfit 250lbs.  I started exercising hard again and was 255lbs within two weeks from the rebound muscle growth.  I had a chance encounter with an ex bodybuilder and saw an incredibly intense style of training.

When we got to TO, I set about implementing this style which gave me rapid gains at first but I quickly overtrained in 10 weeks and ended up with a left forearm injury that would compromise my music practicing for the next two years.  Frustrated, I took time off and gained more weight back. 

KristaH249.jpg

Back to 255lbs the following summer.  I got a gym membership and read a book called "the Makers Diet" and I applied those principles to my eating.  (Very similar to Paleo diet)

I managed over the course of 4 months of monitoring my food intake at loosely 2,500 calories a day and more on my 2 workout days a week to drop my bodyweight down to 238lbs while being bigger, fuller, and more muscular.  I did strength training but less intense this time.  It was a full body workout twice a week.  At the end of the cycle I had golfers elbow but I had managed 6 pullups, squats with 275lbs, deadlifts with 355lbs, pulldowns for sets of 10 with 200lbs and sets of 6 with 220lbs.  My rows were 215lbs for 6 reps and I could manage dumbbell curls for  6 reps with 60lb dumbbells.  I easily bench pressed 245lbs for one rep and I had managed 230lbs for six.  
At christmas, I managed to keep the weight mostly off but I fell down the stairs and the resulting knee pain put me out of commission for several months.  I also was in an exhaustion phase and required something different.  I ate somewhat clean and tried to manage my weight as well as possible with school stress as well as our horrible living situation.  (Don't ask)  
In hindsight, this was my most effective weight lifting / diet program.  I had oats for breakfast every morning and I tried to eat protein and fat before bed.  I had fruit smoothies for post workout nutrition and I never relied on any sort of supplement.  

What did I learn here?  Well, here are some thoughts:

1) Post workout nutrition is REALLY important.

2) Dieting is easy when you eat enough.

3) Doing one thing too long will result in an injury, especially if that one thing is moving maximum poundages day after day.  

The next summer I found nerd fitness but I read a lot of literature on other things and talked to my friend who is obese and was doing a 'metabolic diet'.  I had meeting with a friend of mine who is a personal trainer and he told me that my midback, hamstrings, hips, core, and rotator cuffs were underdeveloped and that I would need to work on them to get my squat, deadlift, and bench press weight up.  I also talk to a nutrition guy who took one look at me and told me to cut out sugar.  He said to eat 3000kcal per day,  400g of clean carbs per day and 200g of protein per day and he said that would give me great results and help me lose fat.  NO SUGAR.  So here is what I did.

I did what my obese friend was doing and ate sub 2,000 kcal per day.  Protein 160g per day, fats 160+g per day, and carbs under 100g per day.  Not at all like that bodybuilder's advice.  I had meats and leafy greens except on a cheat day twice a week where I had peanut butter granola, yogurt, dairy, and ate restaurant food.  5 feedings a day but I was miserable and really grouchy.  I did interval sprints, strength training, complexes, running, walking and I was constantly active.  I also used post workout fasting and intermittent fasting.  My workouts were awful but I did start working on my weak points, of which I think the Midback has developed the most.  I dropped from 248lbs down to 226lbs in about eight weeks but I looked really thin as well as lean, not a look I necessarily wanted.  

305035_576970400742_2111361453_n_zps7cec

The result was that I was lean and wirey looking like a ranger, not lean and build more like a warrior.  The lean picture obviously looks WAY better than being fat but I want to blow that look away next time I'm around 230lbs.  

We had a really rotten personal issue in which we ended up having to move.  Then my wife became pregnant again.  I stayed lean right up until after christmas but then we had to move across the country and in with my parents because the pregnancy symptoms were so severe that I was bleeding cash and not getting any school work done.  

I had learned with my eating to say no once a week at the grocery store so our house was always a save zone with really healthy food and could eat anything there that I wanted to.  

What I learned:
1) Cutting an extreme amount into calories is bad, especially if it is sudden.  If one desires this rate of weight loss, one should determine how much calories are being ingested daily and slowly cut into the budget over time.  This keeps the metabolism from stalling.

2) limiting a diet too much is a BAD idea, especially if long term change is desired.  I HATED eggs by the end of this and I couldn't wait to eat things that were off limits.  It just got me back where I started.  This is an important point.

3) I was eating some of the right foods but I was not eating enough foods.  It is stupid to severely limit calories even when one is fairly fat.  I think that it is possible to build lean muscle and lose fat when one is in the 25% bodyfat range, especially if a diet is modest enough.  

4) Most likely EVERYONE requires complex carbs to fuel a workout.  Rather than cut carbs out entirely, it is better to cycle them and be sure to have post workout shakes.  Post workout fasting is only good for making people skinny, not buff and ripped.  

5)  Muscle can be gained with higher reps and less weight.  Back is all about form  (Not weight) and there are many ways to raise intensity during workouts to get results.  

6) you are only as strong as your weak points.

Living with other people who were critical of my unique nutritional needs wore on me and the constant temptation for sugar was too much.  I also read that people who want to gain lean don't eat enough so I started eating A LOT and working out hard.  I ate a lot of peanut butter during this time which was probably a bad idea.  My favourite night snack was about a half cup of peanut butter with an almost equal part of butter and a table spoon of honey mixed in.  It tastes great but probably wasn't exactly the calories I needed.  I think I gained equal parts muscle and fat but when I was ready to cut, I got a small cold followed by the most sick I had been in years.  (Which wasn't terribly sick)  It was just an aggressive chest cold that coincided with some deadlines that included building a new computer and scoring some short films all within a period of about two weeks.  In that time my nutrition and sleep schedule got messed up while I was extremely sleep deprived and stressed.  This meant my gains were gone after two weeks and I still had all the fat.  So, I kept training to try and 'regain' my losses while still eating and eating.  We had a newborn baby in that time along with complications down the line.  This meant time in the hospital with sugary / bad foods and infrequent eating.  We also had visitors with lots of 'bad foods' in the house.  One day, when the visitors left and the complications were dealt with, I decided to step on a scale and measure myself.  The results of that are up at the beginning of this thread.  I noticed that with my measurements being what they were, I was pretty close to being back at my fattest again but also, my weight was up significantly which meant I had managed to gain some lean.  EXCITING but still  =-(

So here we are.  

Right now I am trying to apply everything I have learned.

1) I use some periodic strength training to maintain strength but I primarily use a bit lighter weights and rely on sets and reps to fully fatigue the muscles.

2) I train primarily with compound movements but I am sure to do auxiliary movements as well to add muscle shape and to prevent more weak points from forming.

3) I try to address my physique weaknesses to ensure progress.

4) Instead of cutting carbs out, I cycle carbs instead.  i.e.  complex carbs with breakfast, carbs before workout, and sugars / whey post workout.  That's all folks.  Otherwise, it is meat and veggies.

5) I try to eat a variety of all the right foods.  Rather than having an extremely limited menu, I try to keep everything diverse enough so that I feel like eating food. 

6) I am trying to lose bodyfat slowly by eating the max number of calories I can eat while still losing weight.  My water goes up and down like a yoyo but I'm full and muscular looking even as the bodyfat peels SLOOOOOWLY!

7)  I keep meticulous track of what I eat in a food journal.  

8)  I try to get lots of sleep.

9)  I'm relying on the diet to get me lean slowly over time so I don't burn out and lose unnecessary lean bodymass.

So far so good.  I hope this helps you guys stay focused.  Ultimately, you have to find what works for you!  

Great post ^^

I use Excel spreadsheets to track daily food logs....

Its a bit of a slog at first....but after a couple weeks you develop a decent "menu" and it becomes more of a copy/paste operation....

Then, dietary experimentation can happen very fast without the uncertainty...

For instance, a couple weeks back I wanted to get more fruit in my diet....because its summer and fruit is *awesome* right now...

After a little fidgeting around, I saw that 2 scoops weight gainer = 1 scoop protein + half a pound of canteloupe....*drool

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there....

You are kicking ass....keep it going!

---

Also, I used to be in the under-eat and over-train crowd......basically the worst thing you can do.....unless you want to be small and stringy....lol

Leg workout done.  Short in 20 minutes because of other annoying stuff in the way.

Squats 

140lbs x 20

160 x 15

180 x 12

200 x 12

Stiff Leg Deadlifts.

120 x 8

180 x 8

200 x 8

one leg calf raises

bodyweight 

2 x 12 right leg

2 x 12 left leg.

My bros were on my side, even with only 20 minutes available!!

Note on diet, I hit my calorie limit last night but I felt hungry and had a fitful sleep all night.  Either I need to eat more, I need to train less, or both.  We'll see.  I'm going to monitor it!

Note on diet, I hit my calorie limit last night but I felt hungry and had a fitful sleep all night.  Either I need to eat more, I need to train less, or both.  We'll see.  I'm going to monitor it!

Pro tip of the day.....have a fat source before bed.

Nothing beats a serving of nuts or peanut butter to kill the night hunger monster....

It's the only thing keeping me from waking up in the middle of the night and eating a half a box of cereal...

Ha, the peanut butter killed me before because I was eating so much of it!  LOOOVE it!
But I should time my calories better so I can have healthy fats / protein before bed.  I was famished at 5am again last night and it is impacting sleep which is bad.  I still slept 7+ hours last night though.

Weigh in:  260.8lbs.  Down 1lb in a week and definitely on track here!!  Going to hold at 2650kcal per day for now. 

Weird day.  I slept a lot!  A LOT!  

I also ate more, but we're talking over 200g of protein all from solid food.  

2930kcal and high on both protein and fat.

182g of fat

132g carbs

225g protein.

Low sugar and I should sleep fine not feeling hungry all night.  No cheating except perhaps all the extra chicken at dinner!! WEEEE!!!!

and I should sleep soon.  Even with all the sleep earlier.  I think I need it!

Measurements for today.  I didn't get everything because I had no time but here are a couple.

Waist 42 inches.  Down 1/2 inch.  Great news!

Arms 16 3/4.  I'd love to crack 17inches on my arms at some point but I'd be only happy if I did so with my waist 38inches or smaller.

I'm happy.  I was doing some reading into Ironman's (Jon Lawson / Steve Holman) X rep training system and I'm thinking of giving that a try at some point.  I need to finish this cycle first, of course.  

CHEAT DAY IS OVER!!!

Calories are currently 3,009

200+ G of protein

150g fat

220g of carbs.

Everything was spot on except for my cheat meal which was fresh fish in fish and chips.  I ate approx 14oz of battered and deep fried pickerel although I should have had it pan fried.  I had tartar sauce and also a few french fries but we didn't even get halfway through them.  Tomorrow is back to business!

Healthy Meals R US!!!   

Chest workout.  25minutes.

Dumbbell Supine Flyes.

25lbs x 30

45second rest

45 second rest

Incline DB Press.

50lbs x 12, 12, 8.

Bench Press.

120 x 5

140 x 5

160 x 5

180 x 5

Done!

Some small changes:

1) Adding a bit of fruit strategically to my daily food regime.  All low glycemic index stuff except after my workout.

The plan is to change my post workout nutrition when the opportunity becomes available.  i.e.  when I get a hand juicer.  The plan is to switch my post workout nutrition to a fruit based shake, instead of one with honey, cocoa, and peanut butter.  I'd like to use Bananas, Raspberries / blueberries, Mangos, and juice fresh from an orange along with my 2 scoops of whey.  The idea here is to get the fibre benefits from the fruits.

2) I have been trying to budget calories for a couple of tablespoons of natural peanut butter before bed, just to stave off hunger.  

3) Not worrying about pre-workout carbs so far because they haven't been really necessary.  If my workouts start to slump, I'll add them back in.  I do eat beans on occasion though and I will continue to do so.

4) A 'new' goal.  At my current rate of fat loss, I'll be about 247lbs when my waist reaches 39".  When I was younger, I weighed 251lbs with a 39" waist.  I'd like to try to reach / better that if possible.  This won't detract from my fat loss goals but with the way this diet is working, I am convinced I have been building muscle so I figure it doesn't hurt to try.  I think I'm fat enough still that my body can build lean bodymass on a caloric restriction.  I intend on keeping at this and I suspect that come spring, the results will be dramatic.  

5) I was reading some stuff about Time Under Tension.  I always wondered why my biceps suck compared to my triceps then I realized that my most productive arm workout I ever tried has a much shorter Time Under Tension for biceps than it does for triceps so I'm going to try and increase the Time Under Tension for biceps as well and see what happens.  I hate having 'skinny' arms compared to the rest of me  =-(

I also think I am going to look into some sort of partial gym membership.  A punch card would be ideal since I'll only need it for once a week.  The plan is to go for leg day so I can concentrate a little more heavily on my lower body training and hopefully have other options besides squats available.  See, I want to be able to use deadlifts for back periodically to retain power and thickness.  My calves have always looked good but I may need to start attacking them, my lower back, and my abs / core as things progress.  

Oh man, I love me some fruit.....especially in the summer....*drooling now.

My biceps have always sucked too.....lol.....because I never really trained them directly....been trying to get better at it.

Good idea on the pre-bed fat. *nodding

I have either 2 tbls of natty PB or a serving of peanuts every night....it keeps the evil 2AM hunger monster at bay. It really works.

Ya.  The one time I recall getting decent bicep growth was pre-injury when I was working out with crazy drop sets etc.  This was probably because my time under tension was greatly increased.  

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/blog/steve/high-end-hypertrophy-a-new-way-to-grow-for-most/

Back workout today.

Chins 

1 set x 4 reps.  Still a bit nervous about re-injuring myself.

Rows. 

120lbs x 10 reps  

35 second break

10 reps

35 second break

10 reps

35 second break

3 reps.

One arm straight arm pulldowns.

15lbs 2 sets x 10 reps for each arm.  I was focusing on squeezing the crap out of the lat at the bottom of the motion.

Pulldowns.  Again, strict form with a slow eccentric phase really emphasizing the contraction at the bottom.

60lbs

35 second rest

35 second rest

35 second rest

x 10  but cheating the bar down and letting it go back up sloooowly for the last several reps.

The pulldowns really hurt after the isolation lat exercise I did previously.  I couldn't help but feel them working.

Modified form dumbbell shrugs.  20lb dumbbells.

Let me explain,  I pull my scapula together first and then raise my shoulders while squeezing them together like crazy.  Get to the top of the movement, hold the contraction, and then lower.  I could feel my whole trap working, including the back of the neck.  It's like physio!!!

x 10 reps

35 second break

x 10 reps

35 second break

x 10 reps

35 second break

x 10 reps.

I should be able to manage much more weight once my body gets used to the motion.  

I still need to look into a gym membership for my legs.  I'm really itching to start deadlifting.  I want to try this 10 rep 35 second break thing with deads!!!  

With the workouts, I'm really happy with the variety in my training and I think I am having great progress, especially while being on a calorie restricted diet.

Calories are on track but I'm starting to feel hungry now.  We'll see how things go with that but I need to get my tape measure numbers for next weekend before I can determine if I am losing too fast or not.  

I'm really itching to start deadlifting.  I want to try this 10 rep 35 second break thing with deads!!!  

Me and some buddies came up with this torture session we call "The Deadlift Challenge"

The are 5 levels and it is basically, pick a level and then do as many reps as you can in 10 minutes.

Level 1 = 0.75 * BW

Level 2 = BW

Level 3 = BW * 1.25

Level 4 = BW * 1.5

Level 5 = BW * 2 (I have never participated at this level.....because this is around my 1-RM)

You will see the comments I made about cardio in my thread earlier.....

My response is.....who needs it? Take a deadlift challenge! :)

My last deadlift challenge was this back in April (coming back after a pretty long layoff due to my knee):

Level 1'ish: 185/229 = 81% for 10 minutes

185 x 15, 11, 10, 8, 6, 5 = 55 reps

In fact, I need to put this up somewhere on this forum.

That sounds punishing!!  DEADLIFT CHALLLENGE!!!!  Is it the starter or the finisher for a back workout?  Something tells me it would be just a little feasible at the beginning!!!

Arm workout.

db curls
1 x 50lbs x 5 reps

Incline DB Curls

1 x 40lbs x 6 reps

Hammer Curls

1 x 40lbs x 8 reps

15lb concentration curls  each arm.

Rest 45 seconds

Rest 45 seconds

Tris.

15lb kickbacks

rest 35 seconds

rest 35 seconds

40lb cable pushdowns.

30 reps

rest 45 seconds

20 reps

rest 45 seconds

15 reps.

**SWEARING LIKE A SAILOR**

Close grip Bench PRess.

70lbs x 30

rest 45 seconds

70lbs x 12 barely

rest 45 seconds

50lbs x 15 barely

OUCH!!!!!  

Biggest change this week is that I'm starting to feel hungry a lot more of the time than I was.  Perhaps my metabolism is speeding up!?  Will check measurements and decide what to do on the weekend.

That sounds punishing!!  DEADLIFT CHALLLENGE!!!!  Is it the starter or the finisher for a back workout?  Something tells me it would be just a little feasible at the beginning!!!

When I do it....that either IS the workout.....or I will just follow with some accessory stuff....hahaa!!

It's totally brutal.

YJ- awesome, info loaded posts! Thanks for sharing all the details and congratulations on your progress!

Thanks so much!  The biggest challenge is keeping up the discipline with the food.  The killer part is eating regularly and enduring the prep time to get it all ready. My biggest time saver is doing prep en masse every few days so I have many meals I can just grab and eat.

The progress is good but slooowwwww.  With the 40 - 50 some odd pounds of bodyfat I have to lose long term, it is hard to notice any visual changes day to day.  I mean my arms, of all things, look harder  (Less watery / puffy) and my belly is shrinking.  Those are the most noticeable differences aside from all my muscles looking fuller.  At this point, the tape measure and the scale say more than the mirror does.  

When I do it....that either IS the workout.....or I will just follow with some accessory stuff....hahaa!!

It's totally brutal.

I figured as much.  Sounds like the 10 minute deadlift challenge needs to be followed by a NAP!

2620 Kcal today with 231g of protein, 180g of carbs, and 120g of fat.  I really don't need many carbs, as my body feels quite normal and really great / energetic eating like this.  I just notice the hunger creeping up on me these days.  

You can assist with the hunger by strategically placing your fats in those hungry times....

When you can't stand it.....find that snack with almost nothing in it.

Lately, I have been eating Claussen pickle slices. Two slices are 5 cals and one carb....lol

Other examples are sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free jello and stuff like that....you are basically eating flavored water....but it helps....heh.

So like lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, celery, all the stuff that is packed with wonderful nutrients that your body needs!!!  This is why your bodyfat % is low!

Definitely using the occasional serving of nuts for healthy fats but I am being cautious about how much I eat because it is so easy to take in many calories with these foods.  

Today so far I've eaten

Breakfast:

1 cup of oats with a teaspoon of cinnamon cooked in water.

1 cup raspberries

3 eggs cooked in a teaspoon of butter.

Lunch.

Half cup of cabbage and a carrot.

Some free range unmedicated chicken cooked in Onion, Tomato, Garlic, and cumin with a dash of butter.

one cup of refried pinto beans.  Please note that the beans aren't fried using a substantial amount of butter or oil.  I think they are mostly beans with a spot of oil and salt.  Only 2 grams of fat compared to 40g of carbs and 13g of protein.  

I have great bros!

Leg day

Squats

150lbs x 30 reps

190lbs x 15 reps

210lbs x 12 reps

230lbs x 8 reps

Romanian Deadlifts

Slow rep cadence with maximum stretch!

120 x 8

160 x 8

160 x 8

Standing calf raises

one leg

x 10L

x 10R

x 10L

x10R

Bothlegs

x40

rest

30 second plank

leg raise / crunch superset.

Post workout shake

Whey isolate 60g protein

a banana

Dinner

Spinach salad with strawberries, green onions, cucumber, almonds, and grapes.