• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jefro, watch LOTS of Elliott Hulse videos and put what he teaches into practice.  I've been stretching  (First time after years of lifting), doing his squat exercises, and working on reprogramming my deadlifts.  I bet doing this homework will raise my lifts up by virtue of using correct biomechanics.  Just be warned, Warriors obsessed with strength, my goals are similar but my approach to getting there is a little different.  

Hey Yellowjacket - saw your post about that chicken recipe on Donar's page so now you have a new fan.  :)  

Oh, and I'm thinking of joining the Warriors too!

Awesome, Cort.  The chicken recipe is an Indian / Curry -ish flavour combination that I really like.  

I have a few other ideas that are go to staples that I eat regularly.  I tend to give preference to Mexican and Indian flavours although I do like 'mom's homecooked meals' type of food too.  Maybe I should start a meal thread in the nutrition forum?

Oh, and I'm thinking of joining the Warriors too!

Cort, you definitely belong in the warriors..... :)

And to anyone that hasn't seen her battle log.....check out her unreal recomp! WOW!

Donar, for sure.  I'll be training hard and losing fat as usual.  I haven't decided what I'm going to do for a workout programme but I think I may try the TORQ thing for the 6 weeks to try and keep gaining muscle size.  Obviously going to be trying to get the waist down another 1 1/2 inches or so or the usual 1lb of fat per week.

The differences: 

1) My strength Goals.  Not going to attempt any PRs this cycle.  So why am I joining the Warrior?  Well, I always want to raise my PRs but this madness has a method to it.  I will spend this challenge:

i.  Improving my lifting form on Squats and Deadlifts.  I've been watching tonnes of Elliott Hulse videos so I have a great idea where to start with this.  My flexibility is terrible overall so I've found even now that mobilizing the hip joints really makes squat easier.  I have a tendency to pitch forward near parallel because the hips can't flex enough and the knees aren't out enough to allow proper clearance of the pelvis through the femurs.  The lack of flexibility also makes it hard to keep the back 100% flat during deadlifts.  I'll be just trying to learn proper muscle recruitment patterns on Squats and Deadlifts in the hopes that when I get better at the movement, my nervous system will more easily be able to cope with the weight.  The only problem I don't know how to solve is that I'm dealing with torsion.  My back spins with my left side going back and my right side going forward.  Not sure how to correct this =-(

ii. Improving my Flexibility.  My neck is tight, my shoulders are tight, and my hips / ankles are tight.  I think this means all the joints in my body are tight.  I am lucky to get to 45 degrees when attempting splits and this is on a good day.  I can't quite touch my toes but it is getting easier.  I've always had terrible flexibility and I always bent over at the waist instead of at the hips.  It has taken me a year to reprogram this tendency and after a solid year of retraining my midback to actually pull during rows and my glutes and hams to pull during Romanian Deadlifts, I noticed all my PRs jump suddenly.  I expect something similar down the line here.  So, this IS strength training therefore it is the territory of warriors.

iii.  Starting to solve some muscle imbalances. (I think we always have these) Particularly, my neck is bad.  The front of the neck is weak compared to my traps  (Apparently fairly common among bodybuilders) so my neck tends to stick forward.  I'll also improve shoulder and rotator cuff strength.  I'm also going to keep strengthening my lower back and abs.  I think my lower back doesn't activate because I have not trained it to.  The hips and hams end up doing most of the work.  

The diet will be much the same although I will cut into my calories slightly if necessary.  I boosted them near the end of the first challenge because I was making too rapid progress.  Not going to worry about this so much since it is already dialed in.

iv.  I'm going to attempt to get even more sleep.  I know, stop laughing at me.

2)  One page a day 5 days a week written on Research Paper.

3) 10 Measures a day, 5 days a week on Thesis.  (Orchestra piece)  

Git er done.

For tips on Squatting and Deadlifting, watch Elliott Hulse's vids.  I'll be doing no weight squat exercises as well as overhead squats.  I'll also be rebuilding my deadlift from the top down, working on engaging the lower back as well as the hams and glutes.  Once I strengthen my lower back, I should gain another 20lbs easy on deadlifts!!

1) My strength Goals.  Not going to attempt any PRs this cycle.  So why am I joining the Warrior?  Well, I always want to raise my PRs but this madness has a method to it.  I will spend this challenge:

Yeah....you have done a great job reducing BF.....once in the lower teens....you don't really even want to be going to failure to much at all.....

This is not a good time to be trying to set PRs....

You have a nice synergistic plan.....lower BF while working on form and doing higher reps are nice compliments to one another.

You know I will be following along in the next challenge!