Obsessedfan finds a new obsession

This is the beginning of me 2.0.

I make bad choices. As a result my life is a mess. I'm severely unhealthy which has made me quite fat. I haven't yet weighed myself, mostly because I'm scared. But last time I looked, I was around 115kg (I'm American, but going metric for international forum). In addition to being unhealthy, by bad choices have messed up all parts of my life. I'm in debt. I work in a dead end job that doesn't pay enough to pay my bills. Procrastination means that I'm behind in all of my commitments all of the time. And (I hate to admit this) my house is super cluttered. I'm not nasty, but very disorganized. On the up side, I'm very well versed in the topic of science fiction books, TV, and movies. Not much to boast about.

This s**t has got to change. The way I live means that I'm constantly reacting to situations when they become dire (read: too late).

Main Quest:

Get into the habit of making good choices.

Vague, I know, but it's what I need.

Goal 1:

Junk the junk.

No more junk food. I'm going to try transitioning to paleo. But for right now I'm just going to commit to cutting out the crap. No convenience stores. No fast food.

I'm going to start every day with a Green Monster Smoothie (spinach, fruit, almond milk, flax seed, almond butter and cocoa). Tasty way to get green.

I'm going to cook on the weekends so that I'm prepared for the week ahead. Make sure that I have a meal ready to go for my next shift before I go to bed.

My water intake needs to increase as well. 2.5-3 liters everyday. I can have black or green tea while at work which will count towards my total, as well.

I'm reducing my soda intake, too. At the moment I tend to have 2-3 sodas everyday. I'm switching it to 1 allowable 7.5oz can a day. But only if I drank all my water the day before and I follow it immediately with double (15oz) the water, which does not count towards my daily total.

A = 1 or fewer oops days.

B = 2 oops days.

C = 3 oops days.

D = 4 oops days.

F = 5 or more oops days.

Goal 2:

Workout every day.

Walk every day. I was going to do the C25K, but I think I'll save that for my next challenge. I tried it before and had some trouble. So walking first. The walking will be graded on effort because we are in the rainy season. I don't mind walking in a bit of rain, but it can get really heavy and our street tends to flood. Last time the water was about 2 feet high. So I'm not penalizing myself if nature steps in my way.

Beginner Body Weight Routine 3x/week. Proceeded by 2 songs on my kinect dancing game. Followed by yoga (Sunrise and/or Moon Salutation).

I will also do yoga at least twice on its own. So 5x/week.

Grading same as Goal 1.

Goal 3:

Switch to e-cigarette.

Goal 1 was actually 2 separate goals when I started writing this, but I combined them to make this it's own goal. I was going to do it anyway, but to keep to the rules I did some moving about. I want to eventually move down to the liquid without any nicotine. But for this challenge I'm just making sure I get off the smokes.

Week 1 I'll start carrying the e-cig with me when I leave the house. But I'll have some smokes at home to snag from. Week 2 starts no smokes at all. Not one.

This goal is all or nothing. So pass/fail grading.

Life Quest:

Find a new job.

I make just over minimum wage. I have no chance of advancement and pay raises will only occur when minimum wage is increased. I can't pay my bills. I'm constantly deciding what to pay based on who is threatening me the most. I need to get ahead. So a job change is required. I got this job when I moved here last October. My old boss got me the job and they moved schedules around to accommodate me. So when I found out the pay was so bad I stuck around out of loyalty and to thank them for helping me out. But that's the last time I will ever see something done to help me out. Loyalty only goes so far. This company has never given a raise. So it's long past time for me to move on.

I won't be grading on whether or not I get the job. I can't control that, I can only do my best. I'm committing to 5 applications a week until success.

A = 5 applications/week

B = 4 applications/week

C = 3 applications/week

D = 2 applications/week

F = 1-0 applications/week

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

/ STR 1 / DEX 1.75 / STA 2 / CON 5 / WIS 4 / CHA 2 /

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

My biggest challenges will be with my family. My mom will be doing the diet with me. My brother is thinking about it, but not committed. And he tends to bring a lot of crap into the house. I also work overnight which my family has taken to mean that I'm available during the day to run errands and bus them to and from work. So, often I sleep less than I need to and it's broken into little naps throughout the day. Some may say that I should just tell them no, but their jobs contribute to the household income, which we need. Our area does not have very good public transport. And the bills do need to be paid. I'm going to be tired quite often and I'll have little room to move sleep around for workouts. But I will figure it out.

*I'll be posting my measurements and all before Monday. But I'm at work right now and can't really take them.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

Hey obsessedfan! It's so inspiring to see someone really take the reins in hand and commit to changing their life, and I hope you know that your new CKitT buddies will be with you every step of the way! Your goals look awesome--both challenging enough to really make an impact on your life, but not so daunting that you're setting yourself up for failure. Great job with that!

That smoothie sounds amazing, too, I might have to try that out (my current morning smoothie is bananas, milk, almond butter, flax seed, and honey). 

Your walking also sounds great--I just thought I'd drop this link off here if you are interested in working up to the C25K program. I have a friend with her own set of health issues who felt like jumping right into C25K wasn't going to be possible for her, and we found her this program, kind of a "build-up" to that first day of running. You might find it helpful. http://coacheaglesgirl.blogspot.ca/2011/07/pre-c25k.html

Tseecka
Lvl 2 Amazonian Adventurer
STR: 8 DEX: 5 STA: 3.5 CON: 6.5 WIS: 6.5 CHA: 1.5
"When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~*~Exercise daily if convenient. If inconvenient, exercise anyway~*~
Daily Battle Log: HERE

Accountibilibuddies: Looking :(

Something that may help motivate you about your finances is a blog called Mr. Money Mustache. Look it up, he's awesome! Money issues are a lot like health problems in the mental willpower department so working on them together makes a lot of sense. Good luck!

Wollio

Lvl 3 Human Warlock Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 5

"Happiness is anyone and anything at all

That’s loved by you."

-You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Battle of the Willpower Wastelands (Current Challenge)

The Need for Speed (Ch 2)

Strength for the Journey Ahead (Ch 1)

Countdown to an Epic Journey (Intro)

Follow the Horizon (personal blog)

Hey obsessedfan! It's so inspiring to see someone really take the reins in hand and commit to changing their life, and I hope you know that your new CKitT buddies will be with you every step of the way! Your goals look awesome--both challenging enough to really make an impact on your life, but not so daunting that you're setting yourself up for failure. Great job with that!

That smoothie sounds amazing, too, I might have to try that out (my current morning smoothie is bananas, milk, almond butter, flax seed, and honey). 

Your walking also sounds great--I just thought I'd drop this link off here if you are interested in working up to the C25K program. I have a friend with her own set of health issues who felt like jumping right into C25K wasn't going to be possible for her, and we found her this program, kind of a "build-up" to that first day of running. You might find it helpful. http://coacheaglesgirl.blogspot.ca/2011/07/pre-c25k.html

Thank you. I looked at that link. It looks a lot more manageable. I'm really looking forward to the challenge starting and making new friends who are on similar journeys. I've learned so much for the people on here already. I know there will be many sources of knowledge for me to tap as a progress through this journey.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

You can burn as many calories walking as running, it just takes longer.  So, no reason to beat yourself up if you can't run right away.  Running is hard, even when you aren't carrying extra weight along with it!  Love the pre-Couch to 5k idea, looks great!

But just walking is great, too!

-- I have no idea what's going on here. --

RRCA Certified Running Coach / NCCPT Certified Personal Trainer

Something that may help motivate you about your finances is a blog called Mr. Money Mustache. Look it up, he's awesome! Money issues are a lot like health problems in the mental willpower department so working on them together makes a lot of sense. Good luck!

Thank you for the link. I'll definitely look into that. I can't even imagine being well off enough to be comfortable, let alone retire at 30. I know the only reason my head is slightly above water is because my family has banded together to help each other. None of us are able to live alone on what we make. But we can manage slightly together. My funds definitely need a reboot.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

You can burn as many calories walking as running, it just takes longer.  So, no reason to beat yourself up if you can't run right away.  Running is hard, even when you aren't carrying extra weight along with it!  Love the pre-Couch to 5k idea, looks great!

But just walking is great, too!

I read that recently. I was quite shocked. I can walk for hours at a good pace, it seems so shocking to me that running that same distance wouldn't be so much more beneficial. But I sure am happy it works that way.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

I read that recently. I was quite shocked. I can walk for hours at a good pace, it seems so shocking to me that running that same distance wouldn't be so much more beneficial. But I sure am happy it works that way.

The difference is in the efficiency of the workout. Walking a mile burns the same amount of calories as running a mile, but it takes a lot more time. So you can burn more calories in the same amount of time if you're running, rather than walking. Running also has the additional benefit of increasing your cardiovascular fitness moreso than just walking does--so in that respect, running is the more beneficial activity. 

However, that's not to say that walking isn't worthwhile--it totally is, and it definitely can have a positive impact on your fitness! 

Tseecka
Lvl 2 Amazonian Adventurer
STR: 8 DEX: 5 STA: 3.5 CON: 6.5 WIS: 6.5 CHA: 1.5
"When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~*~Exercise daily if convenient. If inconvenient, exercise anyway~*~
Daily Battle Log: HERE

Accountibilibuddies: Looking :(

Just don't walk my pace, or you'll GAIN weight.  I have 2 speeds:  off and on.  I'm either running, or walking along all LA LA LA oh look at the flowers.  LOL

-- I have no idea what's going on here. --

RRCA Certified Running Coach / NCCPT Certified Personal Trainer

Just don't walk my pace, or you'll GAIN weight.  I have 2 speeds:  off and on.  I'm either running, or walking along all LA LA LA oh look at the flowers.  LOL

haha Distraction! Distraction! That's why I won't be taking my dogs to start out. As much as they'd love to come along, they would make it too hard for me to manage. It's always run, run, run. Hold up, I gotta pee, or maybe just sniff this bush for a minute. They need better leash training. But I've still got to train myself first.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

Our goals are almost identical.  So I'm going to follow for inspiration :)

I'm not changing jobs, but I do need to change my ATTITUDE about my job.  Last year was horrible.  This year, I need to go in, do what I do, and ignore all the political bullshit I wade through on my way from my car to my classroom :)

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

@obsessedfan - I'm almost exactly the same weight as you and also have very similar goals (I'll get mine posted tomorrow). It definitely sounds like there are things in your life that are making the day to day difficult, but working through this challenge can only make things better. It's really great that your family is able to work together to keep things manageable. It's also great that you are shooting for decisions that launch you from just manageable to awesome. Leveling up in life - FTW!

"Oh, come on! Stake through the heart. A little sunlight. It's like falling off a log."  ~Buffy

Current Challenge

Accountability Group:

Once More With Feeling

Our goals are almost identical.  So I'm going to follow for inspiration :)

I'm not changing jobs, but I do need to change my ATTITUDE about my job.  Last year was horrible.  This year, I need to go in, do what I do, and ignore all the political bullshit I wade through on my way from my car to my classroom :)

I can sympathize. A job that you love can be turned into one you hate because of political crap. The job I'm at now is the same thing I was doing at another hotel in another city. The other hotel ran pretty much smooth. We got along and (mostly) everyone did their job. My current job has a lot of feuds and nobody wants to do their job because they don't feel like anyone else is doing their own. All down to management. My current boss seems to think these problems come up on their own and will go away on their own. Then he's surprised when they don't. It makes for a poor environment. I spent almost 5 years at my last hotel and I didn't mind going in every day. Won't say I was excited (I'd prefer no work, of course), but I didn't mind. I have to drag myself kicking and screaming to this one. I have so much stress from it I'm exhausted even on the days I do get plenty of sleep.

@obsessedfan - I'm almost exactly the same weight as you and also have very similar goals (I'll get mine posted tomorrow). It definitely sounds like there are things in your life that are making the day to day difficult, but working through this challenge can only make things better. It's really great that your family is able to work together to keep things manageable. It's also great that you are shooting for decisions that launch you from just manageable to awesome. Leveling up in life - FTW!

Good thing we're accountabilibuddies :D  I got lucky with my family. As much as I complain about them, I'm happy to have them. We're closer than most. I should've leveled up my life years ago. But better late than never. It's hard to watch all your high school friends move up in life, families, careers. And you're sitting not far form where you were when you left high school 10 years ago.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

I went shopping yesterday with my brother (who has also just joined NF). We got most of the food we will need for the week. I'll actually be starting the diet tonight before I go into work since the challenge will start while I'm at work. I prepped some food this after noon. I cooked up the ground beef from NerdFitness and some honey mustard dressing from here. I've not tried either yet, but my family gives both their seal of approval. Well, need to get those hard boiled eggs off the stove.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

Hello! I'm in CKitT so I know I'll be seeing you around the group. My initial thought is that your first goal could almost be your main mission with the separate items to obtain it. Kind of the same for the 2nd one, too. I only bring that up because I don't want things to get too overwhelming for you. I guess that could be more of a personal thing...it would be overwhelming for me. Does that makes sense? Other than that your goals do look pretty awesome. And I'm super proud of you for planning to quit smoking. Woohoo! Can't wait to talk to you more throughout the challenge. Good luck!

Level 5 Wood Elf Assassin

STR 11.25 | DEX 9.5 | STA 15 | CON 11.75 | WIS 13 | CHA 13

Current Challenge - 4th3rd | 2nd1st

Accountabilibuddies - 3rd | 2nd | 1st

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Wow, you are definitely making a lot of changes. I've been there myself (still working on it, of course, but a bit further in my journey). It's a long process and it will be tough, but I think it's worth it.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

I know it may seem like too many changes at once. But I've noticed I have better success at things when I make bigger changes. When I try to just change a little something at a time I tend to not take it very seriously. But bigger changes become real and seem more important. I push myself harder. Also, it helps that my entire household is doing the diet change and some kind of exercise. That in house support will really help.

I'm almost finished for my first day. I have to wake up later to pick my brother up. But that's only a short time. I've had three healthy and (mostly) paleo meals. I've eaten a lot, but a huge portion of it has been veggies. I've never stuffed myself so much, and not felt gross afterwards. Two heaping handfuls of baby spinach with my breakfast shake, a giant salad for lunch, and about 2 cups of mixed veg in a scramble. I did my walk today. Didn't get as far as I wanted because my increase in water means I'm peeing quite often and my bladder sent me home early (TMI, I know). The water is the only place I fell short. I got just over 2 liters, so didn't quite meet my goal. I can't take any more in! But I'm going to try to finish up in the small amount of time I have left.

I'll get my measurements on here. I did them last night and wrote them on a piece of paper, which I can't find at the moment. Maybe tonight.

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

It really is. It took me a while to try it because I didn't figure a spinach smoothie sounded exactly delicious. But I was pleasantly surprised.

I LOVE my green smoothies in the morning! I too was skeptical to begin with, but you can't even taste it in there hahaha

I did my walk today. Didn't get as far as I wanted because my increase in water means I'm peeing quite often and my bladder sent me home early (TMI, I know). 

Dude don't even feel bad, I'll totally one-up you here! I'm a competitive sailor, we pend hours on the water during competitions. I also drink a SHITLOAD of water (9+ liters a day during competition) My wetset has breather holes all over it so I just pee straight through it if I have to XD

Although your goals are big ones, it definitely seems like you have a good handle on it! Awesome that you're getting the fam on board as much as ya can too :) Good luck!!

Challenge 1 (incomplete)

Current Challenge

Where I am has nothing to do with where I will be.

Dude don't even feel bad, I'll totally one-up you here! I'm a competitive sailor, we pend hours on the water during competitions. I also drink a SHITLOAD of water (9+ liters a day during competition) My wetset has breather holes all over it so I just pee straight through it if I have to XD

That is a lot of water! I don't know how I could manage that much in. The way my bladder was feeling on the way back I was really wishing I could just pee on the side of the road. But apparently that's taboo, or something ;D

Lvl 2 Demigod

Child of Aries

Challenges:

Current Challenge

Accountability Groups:

Companions in Training

Hey! Looks like you've had a good start to the challenge! The forums seem to be unbroken again, so I can finally follow this topic. Don't worry if it wasn't perfect (lawd knows my first day was not), but your food intake sounds great! I didn't eat fast food, but I still didn't eat as green and awesome a bunch of niblets as you. Also, props just for getting out and walking, period. You rock! :triumphant:

"Oh, come on! Stake through the heart. A little sunlight. It's like falling off a log."  ~Buffy

Current Challenge

Accountability Group:

Once More With Feeling

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines