• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Spinflip

Spinflip - "For as far back as I can remember, I wanted to be an Assassin..."

"... But they always laughed and said I would never make it!"

After escaping the iron clutches of the evil Tobacco Triad, slipping out under cover of dark right under the noses of the Depression Demons, and prying open the door to the Crypt of Crap Decisions, Our Hero emerges from the cutscene, bleary eyed and squinting, into a world so large, he has no idea what to do first.

Searching his inventory, he finds he has nothing but the clothes on his back, and a rumpled piece of paper in his pocket. Smoothing it out, it reads 'Ninjas Rule.'

Thus motivated, Our Hero sets off to join the Assassins Guild. His first step is to:

MAIN QUEST - 'Body, Mind, and Spirit.'

(Do something to aid each of these three elements EVERY DAY)

BODY: In order to shape his self into a lithe killing machine, Our Hero resolves to complete the following strength training regimen:

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Skill Training

• 5-10 minutes handstand
  • 1-2 minutes support hold
  • 5 minutes L-sit

Strength (All exercises are 3X5 atm, though there is a progression planned down the road if my strength allows e.g. jumping pullups can become regular pullups)

• Modified Headstand Pushup
  • Jumping Pullup
  • Rolling Squat Jump (ALT. Weighted Squat Jump)
  • Incline Side-to-Side Pushup
  • Inverted Row
  • 180 degree jump

On Wed. and Fri. he will do balance and mobility training, including headstands, a variety of vaults, beam balance, etc.

MIND: An assassin understands that he is more than the mere flesh of his body. Completing a job the right way involves making the right decisions, and this cannot be done with a disordered mind. To improve himself in this aspect, Our Hero resolves to meditate every single day of the week, even if it's just 10 minutes he sneaks in before he goes to bed (Though he's going to shoot for 20-30 minutes a day at least.)

SPIRIT: You get out what you put in, so Our Hero determines to abstain from soda and candy, and reafirms his previous abstention from tobacco.

Side Quest: Finish That Book I've Been Reading

The specific book is Catch-22, by Joseph Heller. Just reading it because I <3 reading. The book is tricky, and only suitable for small doses, but is so far chock-full of humor, humanity, and brilliant satire.

Background: I am currently 6'1", approximately 190 lbs. I'm not really overweight (Though my Dr. says it wouldn't kill me to lose like 5-10 lbs.) Weight loss is not so much a goal for me, though losing fat and gaining the same weight in muscle would be excellent.

::EDIT::

Also, if there are any other Our Heroes out there who are looking to join the Assassins, or whose routine involves a lot of bodyweight strength training, or even who simply like to discuss literature, shoot me a PM.

Hi!  Looks like we have similar goals, though I'm a bit less ambitious at the moment.  Are you using r/bodyweightfitness's routine too?

Your first section is mistakenly labeled Mind instead of Body :-)

Hey, another wannabe assassin! I love the handstand thing. I might have to incorporate that into my routine. Right now I am working on building the strength (bodyweights) and flexibility (stretching) needed to be an assassin. Once I have those in better control, I'm hoping to throw in a few skills like acrobatics, possibly even fencing or other sword play. 

I love the trinity of goals, though. Totally rad. Welcome and good luck!

Man, I've only been doing the handstand thing for like a week, and I can already tell you it's going to tear up my shoulders, esp. right where it meets the neck. I highly recommend it.

Another (hopeful) future Assassin here :)

I love your approach to the main quest! Are you using guided meditation or unguided? (I have not yet even reached the level of meditation n00b)

I've been using the book Mindfulness in Plain English (And recommend it to anyone else interested in meditation!) It introduces meditation with a focus on the breath flowing through your nose. This is a good place to start because it is the one thing that literally everyone has.

After doing the workout I described above a few times, I realized I needed to make a couple adjustments, to wit -

On alternating days, I will replace Jumping Pullups with Pullup Negatives.

For now, I will replace side-to-side pushups with uneven pushups, until my strength is up a little more.

Also, I'm finding L-Sits to be practically impossible! How does someone work up to those?

Here's a video I found for a beginner progression:

It's more suitable for starting than some of the others I've seen. Hope it helps.

Thanks for showing me that video. I'd seen it before (I'm actually subscribed to GMB on youtube,) but I didn't think I could use it because I don't have a set of bars, but watching it again reminded me that I had a set of these collecting dust in my closet. After a short test run, I think they will substitute very well! (Think the rotation on these devices might actually improve my training at all?)

Probably!  You'd be using even more control.  I'm using the pullup bar that won't fit in any of my door frames >:-(   Two chairs or even stacks of textbooks/encyclopedias might work if you need something more stable in the short term.  Some of the references were saying that the floor is best but that is blasted difficult.

Also, "Crypt of Crap Decisions" makes me laugh every time I read it.  I have been there and lived that.

Day 2:

Curses and blast! My balance and movement training had to be cancelled due to rain.

I'll have to just slip it in before strength training tomorrow!

Just throwin' it out there, today I did my first (EVAR) dead hang pull up. Just was able to do one, on the second one I could only get about half way up, then I had to move back into pull up negatives, but either way, WOOT!

Enemy Defeated - Handstand (Facing away from wall)

I even got a couple seconds of free-standing handstand in there as well!

Also, what are some other leg strength exercises I can try? Right now, I'm doing Rolling Squat Jumps and 180 degree jumps, but those are getting pretty boring, and I don't think I'm making much progress on them. I don't yet have the core strength to lift my leg for a full pistol squat, though.

Enemy Defeated - Handstand (Facing away from wall)

I even got a couple seconds of free-standing handstand in there as well!

Also, what are some other leg strength exercises I can try? Right now, I'm doing Rolling Squat Jumps and 180 degree jumps, but those are getting pretty boring, and I don't think I'm making much progress on them. I don't yet have the core strength to lift my leg for a full pistol squat, though.

Maybe weighted lunges?

End of Week 3:

I definitely pulled something in my right leg this week. Probably on the one-legged squats I did Tuesday. Gonna keep the strength training at the same level next week, but I'm going to cut the vaulting and rolling and just do bar balance for at least one leg day.

Also, I keep messing up the simple parkour roll. For some reason, the leg opposite my tucked arm wants to fold sideways when I go for the roll. Just waiting to twist an ankle on that.

In the good news, my handstand is progressing nicely. I'm getting to the point where I'm gently pulling my legs up, as opposed to throwing them up there.

End of Week 3:

I definitely pulled something in my right leg this week. Probably on the one-legged squats I did Tuesday. Gonna keep the strength training at the same level next week, but I'm going to cut the vaulting and rolling and just do bar balance for at least one leg day.

Also, I keep messing up the simple parkour roll. For some reason, the leg opposite my tucked arm wants to fold sideways when I go for the roll. Just waiting to twist an ankle on that.

In the good news, my handstand is progressing nicely. I'm getting to the point where I'm gently pulling my legs up, as opposed to throwing them up there.

Ugh, good luck with the leg.

Parkour teaches the forward roll a bit different than Judo but I have yet to see anyone twist an ankle learning. One collarbone fracture though, so be careful and take it slow until you're comfortable with the roll.

I decided to interrupt yesterdays regularly scheduled strength training for a day of just handstands and crushing my core.

I decided to do this because I found out that I've been training my L-Sit wrong this whole time, and that's why I haven't seen any progress in it.

We will return to your normal programming tomorrow.

Ugh, that's a crappy feeling :-(  If it helps any, a friend with an actual trainer just visited and showed me how I was doing my squats all wrong.

The last week has been a challenge. I had a headcold that I was determined to work through, but it turned into an ear infection and I got severe pain when I tried to work out. That caused me to miss last wednesday and friday. Then today, on my first day back, I pulled something pretty badly in my shoulder while doing a headstand.

Either way, I did quite well for this six week challenge, and overall, I'm calling it a great success! Let's go down the list of goals quickly -

A: Body - Exercise. I am going to give myself an A- on for this goal. I had to adjust my goals to be more realistic (3 days a week is easier to handle than 5 days,) but there was only one day that I skipped due to outright laziness. I made big improvements in virtually all my exercises -

• I did my first pull-up ever (I can now do a set of four)
  • I progressed from a facing-the-wall to an away-from-wall handstand, and I'll bet I could get freestanding by the end of the next challenge
  • My balance and footing has never been better  - This is something very subtle, but I think it's worth bringing up. Ever since I've started exercising regularly, I feel more 'in-tune' with my body, even as I'm just going about my daily business.

B: Mind - Meditate: Ehhhhhhhhh let's just give me a C on this one. Coulda tried harder.

C: Spirit - Eat Right: This has been fairly easy. Other than one night of panicked studying fueled by an entire pizza and only a 20 oz Coke, I kept on the healthy eating habits very well the last few weeks. Not smoking has become a complete non-issue for me, as well. Let's give me a B+ for this.

Overall, I'd say that's about a B average? Not too bad!